Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD $199.98 with free shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5977518-256gb-samsung-840-pro-series-2-5-sata-iii-mlc-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-199-98-with-free-shipping)

yuugotserved 04-19-2013 07:47 AM

256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD $199.98 with free shipping
 
1 Attachment(s)
Adorama via eBay

256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD [ebay.com] (MZ-7PD256BW)

$199.98 with free shipping

brisar 04-19-2013 07:47 AM

256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD $200 + Free Shipping
 
1 Attachment(s)
Adorama via eBay has 256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) for $199.98. Shipping is free. Thanks yuugotserved

Price Research: Our research indicates that this 256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) is $19 lower (8.5% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $219. - brisar

alkhe4life 04-19-2013 07:50 AM

Great deal

E-Dub 04-19-2013 08:08 AM

Good find! Purchased.

ghitz 04-19-2013 08:23 AM

$.78/Gb No WAY, I don't care how good it is in benchmarks. They are all pretty good now.

darcmasta 04-19-2013 08:29 AM

submit to amazon! :x

deyer 04-19-2013 08:33 AM

Tax for CA?

JeffT7461 04-19-2013 08:34 AM

Awesome deal, used my leftover $50 off coupon for a total of $149!! I knew something good will come up sooner or later for me to use this coupon! :)

ResidentPony 04-19-2013 08:36 AM

Great deal. It doesn't meet the artificial benchmark some people have of fifty cents per GB, but a great price for one of the fastest drives from one of the most reliable makers.

brbubba 04-19-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghitz (Post 58956720)
$.78/Gb No WAY, I don't care how good it is in benchmarks. They are all pretty good now.

Yeah maybe wait until it hits $180. $200 seems to be the standard sale price on these.

demn 04-19-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deyer (Post 58956966)
Tax for CA?

just grabbed one without tax. yay. :heart::hug::nod:

kennyduc83 04-19-2013 08:40 AM

Should we raid 2 of this for faster speed or better off with just 1 drive?

Thanks,

chefjw 04-19-2013 08:40 AM

bullshit just grabbed 2 earlier this week from amazon before the price went up

bassballboy 04-19-2013 08:44 AM

No offense, but how is a 8.5% savings a front page worthy deal?

Inpact 04-19-2013 08:46 AM

This will be $140 on Black friday. Gonna wait to save $60.

RandomDealz 04-19-2013 08:49 AM

What is the largest SSD drives they are making now, 500GB?

Askeptic 04-19-2013 08:49 AM

Not a great price...

Newegg has the Crucial M4 256gb MLC for less and Crucial is easily one of the best.

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
+ 15% off w/ promo code EMCYTZT3329, limited offer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...alParent=1

everix 04-19-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askeptic (Post 58957388)
Not a great price...

Newegg has the Crucial M4 256gb MLC for less and Crucial is easily one of the best.

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
+ 15% off w/ promo code EMCYTZT3329, limited offer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...alParent=1

Take a look at the specs of the two drives. The Samsung doubles the write speed and the 4K Random Read/Write. Also, take a look around, because according to most people, this is just about the best consumer drive on the market. Samsung also uses a custom made controller for their SSDs which only further increases their reliability.

BoldIntrepid 04-19-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 58957050)
Yeah maybe wait until it hits $180. $200 seems to be the standard sale price on these.

I concur

locomo 04-19-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askeptic (Post 58957388)
Not a great price...

Newegg has the Crucial M4 256gb MLC for less and Crucial is easily one of the best.

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
+ 15% off w/ promo code EMCYTZT3329, limited offer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...alParent=1


Don't know about the new ones but my Crucial sux coming out of sleep mode.
My Sammy does not.

locomo 04-19-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askeptic (Post 58957388)
Not a great price...

Newegg has the Crucial M4 256gb MLC for less and Crucial is easily one of the best.

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
+ 15% off w/ promo code EMCYTZT3329, limited offer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...alParent=1



Don't know about the new ones but my Crucial sux coming out of sleep mode.
My Sammy does not.

webculb 04-19-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomDealz (Post 58957378)
What is the largest SSD drives they are making now, 500GB?

They make 1 TB drives as well. Super Pricey

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6820227797 :eek:

pressstart 04-19-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webculb (Post 58957644)
They make 1 TB drives as well. Super Pricey

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6820227797 :eek:

There's supposed to be a much more affordable Crucial 1TB SSD available now or very soon.

RandomDealz 04-19-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webculb (Post 58957644)
They make 1 TB drives as well. Super Pricey

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6820227797 :eek:


Wow! $2,500 I'm sure they aren't flying out the door. :lol:

metaldood 04-19-2013 09:11 AM

Are SSDs good for bulk storage and games?

qinqin 04-19-2013 09:18 AM

do they have the 128 gb pro?

mdmower 04-19-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askeptic (Post 58957388)
Not a great price...

Newegg has the Crucial M4 256gb MLC for less and Crucial is easily one of the best.

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
+ 15% off w/ promo code EMCYTZT3329, limited offer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...alParent=1

I'm going to chime in with the "you are wrong" crowd, but I want to provide a comparison that everyone else seems have forgotten to link: AnandTech Bench Comparison [anandtech.com]

webculb 04-19-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaldood (Post 58957818)
Are SSDs good for bulk storage and games?

Games Yes very much so. Bulk storage not so much. They are still too high a price for such an application.

Mummel 04-19-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askeptic (Post 58957388)
Not a great price...

Newegg has the Crucial M4 256gb MLC for less and Crucial is easily one of the best.

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
+ 15% off w/ promo code EMCYTZT3329, limited offer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...alParent=1

I agree. This is another ScamDeals FP post.

vip00 04-19-2013 09:28 AM

Appears to hit this price regularly every couple of weeks. I'll wait for it to slide lower... I need to replace an aging Kingston HyperX (not a crappy recent 3K, but an original one!)

wrathre 04-19-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pressstart (Post 58957778)
There's supposed to be a much more affordable Crucial 1TB SSD available now or very soon.

They are, crucial M500, ~600 bucks if you can find them at the moment: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/c...&A=details

blackblaze 04-19-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomDealz (Post 58957378)
What is the largest SSD drives they are making now, 500GB?

1TB SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6820227797

shastada 04-19-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomDealz (Post 58957378)
What is the largest SSD drives they are making now, 500GB?

New Crucial M500 has a 960GB drive, thats what I want :) MSRP is 600, but expect to see them hit 450-500 within a few months.

Oh.Y.Not 04-19-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everix (Post 58957522)
Take a look at the specs of the two drives. The Samsung doubles the write speed and the 4K Random Read/Write. Also, take a look around, because according to most people, this is just about the best consumer drive on the market. Samsung also uses a custom made controller for their SSDs which only further increases their reliability.

Is the 840 Pro worth twice the money for some of the competitors though? Genuine question, since the OCZ 240 GB is also on sale in another thread for $102 FS. I have a M4 256GB in my MBP, and have nothing but praises for it. Thinking about getting another SSD for my desktop, but I can either get one of the 840 Pro or get two of the OCZ and stripe them. So the question is if the premium on the 840 Pro is justified.

wrathre 04-19-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tshwashere (Post 58958248)
Is the 840 Pro worth twice the money for some of the competitors though? Genuine question, since the OCZ 240 GB is also on sale in another thread for $102 FS. I have a M4 256GB in my MBP, and have nothing but praises for it. Thinking about getting another SSD for my desktop, but I can either get one of the 840 Pro or get two of the OCZ and stripe them. So the question is if the premium on the 840 Pro is justified.

It's just like anything else, you pay much more of a premium for what could be argued as the best.

sahooa 04-19-2013 09:34 AM

Why is this a good deal..

Amazon has it for less.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-...ywords=ssd

runstill 04-19-2013 09:35 AM

Cool, was looking to pick another one of these up. Thanks OP.

Inpact 04-19-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahooa (Post 58958306)
Why is this a good deal..

Amazon has it for less.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-...ywords=ssd

Totally different products.

AF9210 04-19-2013 09:35 AM

sahooa, thats for the non-pro version

Oh.Y.Not 04-19-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathre (Post 58958286)
It's just like anything else, you pay much more of a premium for what could be argued as the best.

Definitely agree. Question is if the premium is justified. Samsung's reliability is well known, so I don't question that nor the performance. But even if OCZ has been pretty meh in reliability because of SF controller, worst I can even get 4 of them and raid 10 and have redundancy...

vip00 04-19-2013 09:57 AM

If you want serious performance, buy a PCIe SSD... (like this one: http://ocz.com/consumer/revodrive-3-x2-pcie-ssd) 960GB for ~ $1500 if you can find it, with 4x the write/read speeds of these drives and 2x the IOPS. It's less than double the $/GB, so if you're looking to pay a premium for the best... why pay it for something that's clearly not the best?

Otherwise get yourself a nice cheap m4 and move on

mst3kld 04-19-2013 10:01 AM

You guys think Newegg might match? I have to pay tax on this Ebay item. Otherwise I would be all over it.

demn 04-19-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mst3kld (Post 58958952)
You guys think Newegg might match? I have to pay tax on this Ebay item. Otherwise I would be all over it.

if newegg doesn't match it now, guarantee they will sell for this price at some point soon, again.

icemanNSX 04-19-2013 10:02 AM

Paypal doesn't work! Some had the same problem? I can't check out!!!

leroy_sunset 04-19-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffT7461 (Post 58956986)
Awesome deal, used my leftover $50 off coupon for a total of $149!! I knew something good will come up sooner or later for me to use this coupon! :)

How did you get this mythical coupon? Sounds awesome.

bonka10 04-19-2013 10:07 AM

Yawn, not a good deal. Common sale price for these now.

Mummel 04-19-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonka10 (Post 58959092)
Yawn, not a good deal. Common sale price for these now.

It will be FrontPage soon, this is ScamDeals.

musicman40nj 04-19-2013 10:08 AM

I second that
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballboy (Post 58957226)
No offense, but how is a 8.5% savings a front page worthy deal?

Really this has been cheaper not that long ago and I was snagging 512GBs for $375 recently.

How this made front page is so beyond me... Must be one heck of a slow day.

Mummel 04-19-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fvpawli (Post 58959146)
Really this has been cheaper not that long ago and I was snagging 512GBs for $375 recently.

How this made front page is so beyond me... Must be one heck of a slow day.

Like I said, this site is a joke these days. Welcome to ScamDeals.

musicman40nj 04-19-2013 10:11 AM

Slickdeals is losing a bit of credibility making this luke warm deal a Front page deal. It has been $180 and 192 not that long ago... So $20 more and it must be front page... Reverse psychology.

MeatCatalog 04-19-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballboy (Post 58957226)
No offense, but how is a 8.5% savings a front page worthy deal?

adorama pays 2.5% commission. Newegg, half that.

Mummel 04-19-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fvpawli (Post 58959194)
Slickdeals is losing a bit of credibility making this luke warm deal a Front page deal. It has been $180 and 192 not that long ago... So $20 more and it must be front page... Reverse psychology.

They wrecked this site about 1.5 years ago when they went commercial. I hope Bryant sells the company in time before the community realizes its a complete scam and pulls a mass exodus.

Johnny-TV 04-19-2013 10:25 AM

Definitely not a good deal.. I expect it to be at least $160-180. I think it will drop more in the next month.

jwyfk 04-19-2013 10:27 AM

Why is this front page? This seems to be the regular price.

icemanNSX 04-19-2013 10:29 AM

Why not a good deal? At least this is a good deal to those who do not have to pay tax. Newegg had it for slightly($10-15) cheaper but tax killed the deal at least for ppl in California.

Tmsmith616 04-19-2013 10:35 AM

Rofl at the people in this thread. 840 Pro is one of, if not the best consumer drives on the market right now. You'll be lucky to get it $20 or even $10 lower anytime before the release of the next generation of SSD products. Nevertheless, we've seen it several times @ 200 now. Still front page worthy but certainly not memorable now.

722 04-19-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58959274)
They wrecked this site about 1.5 years ago when they went commercial. I hope Bryant sells the company in time before the community realizes its a complete scam and pulls a mass exodus.

I find it ironic you haven't even been a member for that long.

izz10 04-19-2013 10:45 AM

I recently upgraded my windows PC to a SSD. I can't imagine using a computer without as SSD. Its worth every penny!!

metaldood 04-19-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 722 (Post 58959848)
I find it ironic you haven't even been a member for that long.


No need to be a 'member' that long. Maybe he/she was a lurker.

chong67 04-19-2013 10:55 AM

Please put the 500gb back on sale at $260 few weeks back.

Sethtsmith 04-19-2013 10:57 AM

just bought two. no tax and free shipping sealed it for me.

brbubba 04-19-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58959274)
They wrecked this site about 1.5 years ago when they went commercial. I hope Bryant sells the company in time before the community realizes its a complete scam and pulls a mass exodus.

I think you mean it just got popular. The best deals are clearly never, or very rarely, going to make it to the FP. Seems like an ok compromise to have decent deals make it there for the masses that don't want to delve any deeper.

musicman40nj 04-19-2013 11:04 AM

Definitely
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by izz10 (Post 58959976)
I recently upgraded my windows PC to a SSD. I can't imagine using a computer without as SSD. Its worth every penny!!

Picked up 2 of the 512 Pros for my business laptop and home desktop... Costly but so worth it.

Mummel 04-19-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 722 (Post 58959848)
I find it ironic you haven't even been a member for that long.

I'm sure you've seen the phrase, long time lurker, first time poster.......

722 04-19-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58960564)
I'm sure you've seen the phrase, long time lurker, first time poster.......

And I'm sure you heard the phrase "Proof or gtfo." Not to be harsh or anything. ;)

Mummel 04-19-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 722 (Post 58960592)
And I'm sure you heard the phrase "Proof or gtfo." Not to be harsh or anything. ;)

Stop trolling, just ask anyone here.

722 04-19-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58960630)
Stop trolling, just ask anyone here.

Ask anyone what? :lol:

jay521 04-19-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcmasta (Post 58956874)
submit to amazon! :x

also submitted to amazon.

vip00 04-19-2013 11:29 AM

Just as an observation, if you're so convinced that SD is a scam, why are you still here? :scratch:

Mykexyz 04-19-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 58960194)
Please put the 500gb back on sale at $260 few weeks back.

Where did you see the 500GB 840 pro for @ $260 ? Was that a price mistake? $360 would be a great deal on the 500 pro, $260 is insane.

Mummel 04-19-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 58961080)
Just as an observation, if you're so convinced that SD is a scam, why are you still here? :scratch:

Hunting for the needle in the haystack.....

ArigornStrider 04-19-2013 12:25 PM

Picked up one for my wife's laptop. She's out of space on the 128GB that came in it.

z9z91 04-19-2013 12:39 PM

I just looked at the selling history and some dudes bought 5 of these! What is just happening on earth? Are they stocking up to prepare for Armageddon? :eek:

snowcrash 04-19-2013 12:49 PM

Some people seem to think because it's on sale, it's a deal.

Stealth3si 04-19-2013 12:52 PM

to all those saying it's not a good deal, this is the PRO not the non-pro.

mdmower 04-19-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58958148)
I agree. This is another ScamDeals FP post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58959128)
It will be FrontPage soon, this is ScamDeals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58959190)
Like I said, this site is a joke these days. Welcome to ScamDeals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58959274)
They wrecked this site about 1.5 years ago when they went commercial. I hope Bryant sells the company in time before the community realizes its a complete scam and pulls a mass exodus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58960564)
I'm sure you've seen the phrase, long time lurker, first time poster.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58960630)
Stop trolling, just ask anyone here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 58961332)
Hunting for the needle in the haystack.....

Seriously, are you done? If you're so unhappy with SlickDeals, posting trash in threads isn't going to fix anything.

ChristopherR4774 04-19-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mykexyz (Post 58961220)
Where did you see the 500GB 840 pro for @ $260 ? Was that a price mistake? $360 would be a great deal on the 500 pro, $260 is insane.

The 840 Pro is 512 GB, not 500. He is referring to the $260 840 series, non-pro version.

MetalGOnlinePro 04-19-2013 02:29 PM

I'm a noob on ssd, I recently bought a laptop n76vj . How do I transfer windows 8 OS to the new ssd?

Bullet2k4 04-19-2013 02:49 PM

sales tax makes this deal bad for me...

vud911 04-19-2013 04:11 PM

The NewEgg deal seems better atm. Not saying this isn't good. Just not as slick.

DealSweep 04-19-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vud911 (Post 58966908)
The NewEgg deal seems better atm. Not saying this isn't good. Just not as slick.

newegg shows $250 for this drive.. what deal are you seeing?

Tensoneu 04-19-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGOnlinePro (Post 58965060)
I'm a noob on ssd, I recently bought a laptop n76vj . How do I transfer windows 8 OS to the new ssd?

I personally use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD ($20)
http://www.paragon-software.com/t...OS-to-SSD/

I migrated about about 10 using this program, very easy to use. For desktops I just change the target to HDD and all my pictures, documents, movies, downloads etc. to the HDD. OS and Programs stay on SSD

I'm sure there might be free solutions elsewhere someone may be able to suggest.

jcknows0 04-19-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inpact (Post 58957302)
This will be $140 on Black friday. Gonna wait to save $60.

Good luck with your prediction... I picked one up earlier this week for my promise j4, as the next model will probably be coming out by then.

jcknows0 04-19-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherR4774 (Post 58963788)
The 840 Pro is 512 GB, not 500. He is referring to the $260 840 series, non-pro version.

Lowest price I've seen for the 512 Pro is 387 with Newegg 20% off coupon in late Feb/early March

MetalGOnlinePro 04-19-2013 05:49 PM

I'm not sure if its the same B&H has it for 179.99


Nvm it's not the pro series.

yourameh 04-19-2013 06:18 PM

This is the best deal I've seen since this thing came out. By far the greatest value of any computer component in my opinion. If i didn't have an 830 already this is a no brianer.

Lakrymist 04-19-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourameh (Post 58969200)
This is the best deal I've seen since this thing came out. By far the greatest value of any computer component in my opinion. If i didn't have an 830 already this is a no brianer.

The 830 is still a better choice.

PhilMyStore 04-19-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalGOnlinePro (Post 58968706)
I'm not sure if its the same B&H has it for 179.99

Nvm it's not the pro series.

The one you mentioned is not the pro series.

It is a Samsung 840 Not Pro Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive: Price: $179.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pro...D_840.html

For the $20 diff, I would prefer the Pro as it's newer and has an improved energy management so it uses less battery on your portables.

However, if they offered a steeper discount, I would consider it settling it over the 840 Pro Series since the performance is not a drastically different between the 840 Pro and the 840.


It's just a matter of time when the prices will slowly come down as new products are introduced to replace the older models.
It all comes down to a waiting game.

I tell people if they generate an income by having the fastest drive, by a good margin, go for it.
If you just want the fastest drive playing games or doing your homework, then you need to stop wasting your money and save it for a rainy day.

InSaiyanOne 04-19-2013 07:49 PM

Still loving my 830's from last year...I'll wait til mid/late Summer.

yourameh 04-19-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakrymist (Post 58969536)
The 830 is still a better choice.

Arguable. Supposedly the 840Pro does things better. The moral of the story is that Samsung still makes the absolute best SSD of this day and age. I love my 830 as much as my phone. My two most cherished possessions.

vud911 04-19-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DealSweep (Post 58968198)
newegg shows $250 for this drive.. what deal are you seeing?

http://slickdeals.net/f/5976630-Newegg-has-15-off-Plextor-Intel-OCZ-Kingston-Corsair-Sandisk-SSD-mSATA-SSD

This isn't the only SSD out there, believe it or not.

one321 04-19-2013 11:32 PM

Newegg is selling these for $249.99, so this is a good deal comparatively.

chunkylover852 04-20-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vud911 (Post 58972038)

After sifting through all those drives I finally just bought the 840 Pro. It's specs are epic and I just use my computer too much to not treat myself.

Lakrymist 04-20-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourameh (Post 58970782)
Arguable. Supposedly the 840Pro does things better. The moral of the story is that Samsung still makes the absolute best SSD of this day and age. I love my 830 as much as my phone. My two most cherished possessions.

The write speed is quicker in the 840 pro, however the overall life of the drive is much shorter on it also. I did my research before putting it into my primary bay on my macbook pro.

MrX8503 04-20-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webculb (Post 58957644)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomDealz (Post 58957378)
What is the largest SSD drives they are making now, 500GB?

They make 1 TB drives as well. Super Pricey

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6820227797 :eek:

You can get a Crucial 1TB M500 for $600

yourameh 04-20-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakrymist (Post 58973402)
The write speed is quicker in the 840 pro, however the overall life of the drive is much shorter on it also. I did my research before putting it into my primary bay on my macbook pro.


But they're both MLC drives. It's only the 840 NON-PRO that's TLC with a trashy lifespan.

vermelho 04-20-2013 05:11 PM

750 sold - deal over

Lakrymist 04-21-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourameh (Post 58976892)
But they're both MLC drives. It's only the 840 NON-PRO that's TLC with a trashy lifespan.

It uses a different type of nand. I realize that both the 830 and current pros use MLC but there are differences. I seen an abuse test on a mac forum and the 840 pro died much sooner than the 830.

Mykexyz 04-21-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherR4774 (Post 58963788)
The 840 Pro is 512 GB, not 500. He is referring to the $260 840 series, non-pro version.

I figured the same, but he's replying to the pro deal, so I am curious.

yourameh 04-21-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakrymist (Post 58986118)
It uses a different type of nand. I realize that both the 830 and current pros use MLC but there are differences. I seen an abuse test on a mac forum and the 840 pro died much sooner than the 830.


interesting. Sad but interesting. I feel like Samsung did their best to make the 830 as bullet proof as a typical HDD (that never fails in its lifetime). They realized they did too good of a job on the 830 so they crapped it back a bit with the 840Pro to save on cost. Given their reputation, should sell strong, plus maybe only .5% of people will actually run the drive down in it's lifetime (unless gigabit internet becomes widespread in the next ~3yrs).

I believe the 840Pro is the best production drive you can get today, but in light of this, I'd go for a 512gb 830 if I were to buy another today. No reason to spend the extra money for an unperceived speed increase.

update: HOLY COW 6+PF and still running strong on an 830!!! WOW! The only benefit this drive has over an 830 is an added two years of warranty (5yr vs 3yr). Otherwise, I thought this deal was good, but a 256gb 830 from most retailers is well under $200...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 AM.


1999-2014