Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 for Windows & Mac (Full Version) + APB Reloaded for $80 + Free Shipping at Newegg (http://slickdeals.net/f/5979184-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-4-for-windows-mac-full-version-apb-reloaded-for-80-free-shipping-at-newegg)

calistyle 04-20-2013 12:04 AM

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 for Windows & Mac (Full Version) + APB Reloaded for $80 + Free Shipping at Newegg

65534 Attachment(s)
For those who missed out on the previous Frontpage deal, Newegg has Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 for Windows & Mac on sale again. :)

Price Comparison & Reviews:

Slomo4shO 04-20-2013 12:04 AM

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 for Windows & Mac - Full Version + APB Reloaded $80

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Com...bo.1293985

harpo1 04-20-2013 12:08 AM

Good deal but Lightroom 5 beta was just released so people might want to wait for the final release.

GreenCheetah 04-20-2013 12:24 AM

What an odd combination for a combo.

bighonker 04-20-2013 04:28 AM

Good price. Be aware the Lightroom 5 is already in Beta, probably out this summer.

bobma 04-20-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighonker (Post 58973838)
Good price. Be aware the Lightroom 5 is already in Beta, probably out this summer.

this kills the deal then.

thanks for the heads-up.

trza 04-20-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Ooh. So if we plan it right, we can purchase 4 within 90 days of release and get a free upgrade to 5?

slyder0244 04-20-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

That's the only reason I'm not buying it. People can get the beta here.

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopd...lable.html

GreatStromboli 04-20-2013 08:31 AM

Nice Deal !

fyu 04-20-2013 08:31 AM

random combo. but lr4 is awesome

saltyfood 04-20-2013 11:41 AM

good deal, the combo offer make this deal much better. though i still wait for final lr5.

figit090 04-20-2013 11:46 AM

weird combo, not sure about that game either...

manostb 04-20-2013 12:45 PM

LR 5 Release date.?

Any Idea on LR5 release date.?
Remember seeing it arnd Jun 2014.

If that is the case I am into this one. If its Jun 2013 its worth waiting.

Faulsh 04-20-2013 01:16 PM

I believe APB Reloaded is free to play, you just get added features once in-game if you buy a retail copy.

Inpact 04-20-2013 01:17 PM

Aperture is way better.

DN1901 04-20-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inpact (Post 58979382)
Aperture is way better.

LOL - don't make me laugh mortal!

Does Apple even care about their pro users anymore?

At this point, even Corel AfterShot Pro is better than Aperture.

Here is an article written almost a year ago and he is already tired of waiting for Aperture 4.
http://photofocus.com/2012/05/29/...lightroom/

The.Dude 04-20-2013 05:36 PM

Any new/major features in LR5? I am still on 3, didn't upgrade to 4 since there wasn't anything new & big that mattered to me.

figit090 04-20-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Dude (Post 58982304)
Any new/major features in LR5? I am still on 3, didn't upgrade to 4 since there wasn't anything new & big that mattered to me.

Meh... if you have googled like I have and haven't found much, I'd wait for a sale on LR5. Yeah sliders make more sense and highlights don't look so stupid when you "recover" them, but if you have good images to start with it's not a huge concern. I have CS3 and LR3, and until I get higher paying clients I see no huge reason to upgrade.

Until they either make a crazy good improvement in the develop module or organization of lots of files (I dont like the catalog system too much, boggy and slowish), or make use of a dedicated GPU...I won't want to upgrade for what they ask.

Yes, one shoot should pay for LR5 when it's out; but the fact I can get by with LR3 perfectly fine and paid $80 for it when it came out keeps me from wanting to purchase more programs. :O

kenkobra63 04-20-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inpact (Post 58979382)
Aperture is way better.

Not everyone overpays for a PC.

sts311 04-20-2013 06:50 PM

I recently went through the Lr4 vs Aperture 3 conundrum myself. I went with Lr simply because it is easier to manage your own files and it has cross platform support. I own a Mac and a lot of Apple products but I don't like being stuck in an ecosystem that is difficult to migrate from.

I am a general hobbyist and I bit on the last Newegg deal because I didn't(and still don't) think Lr5 is worth waiting for. Keep in mind, upgrades are half price and Lr5 will not get this cheap for a while after it comes out.

I hope this helps anyone on the fence.

Jambe 04-20-2013 07:16 PM

As for LR, just hope that you never have to use customer support--unless you understand Indian English.

I went through hell getting LR4 registered.

secondclaw 04-20-2013 07:54 PM

I reviewed LR5 briefly today ...

1. Ability to work offline if you have a NAS, etc. you basically work on a small version of your photo. Once NAS is reconnected, LR5 will automatically apply your work to the full image. Useful for those that travel a lot with their laptop, and use it at home as well, and of course if they use a NAS or an external USB drive.
2. Spot Healing brush is much improved, with a high-contrast view which will highlight all the dirty sensor and lens spots for you to clean. Cleaning brush like in PS now, instead of having to use a circle.
3. An automatic perspective correction tool, very useful in architecture. I guess LR5 will detect collapsing lines and straighten them. It will also remove the white space which results from such a correction, by automatically cropping the image (if desired).
4. 'Zone' effects. You draw an ellipsis and apply local changes (such as shadow/highlight) to that zone only. Draw multiple 'zones' and control them individually.

I am sure there are more, but these stood out for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Dude (Post 58982304)

rndman 04-20-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jambe (Post 58983340)
As for LR, just hope that you never have to use customer support--unless you understand Indian English.

I went through hell getting LR4 registered.

But why do have to go through support for mere registration?
Why do you even need to register..??

Jambe 04-20-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rndman (Post 58984562)
But why do have to go through support for mere registration?
Why do you even need to register..??

I bought it through Amazon Store and they wouldn't accept them as a valid dealer. You have to register to use it.

rndman 04-20-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jambe (Post 58984678)
I bought it through Amazon Store and they wouldn't accept them as a valid dealer. You have to register to use it.

I don't recall registering mine, but you may be right.. My memory must have faded away..

FreeBaGeL 04-20-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondclaw (Post 58983702)
1. Ability to work offline if you have a NAS, etc. you basically work on a small version of your photo. Once NAS is reconnected, LR5 will automatically apply your work to the full image. Useful for those that travel a lot with their laptop, and use it at home as well, and of course if they use a NAS or an external USB drive.

For me, this is reason enough in and of itself to upgrade. I use LR at home, work, and on the road and having to carry around an external HD with all my photos is majorly annoying.

How well does it apply the changes once you get the full size image back in there? Is it exactly as previewed on the small image or are there some quirks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondclaw (Post 58983702)
4. 'Zone' effects. You draw an ellipsis and apply local changes (such as shadow/highlight) to that zone only. Draw multiple 'zones' and control them individually.

The thing that I've always wanted most in LR is the quick selection tool that photoshop has, allowing you to apply changes to that selection. The graduated filter doesn't work in many scenarios (trees or building sticking up into the sky) and painting with the adjustment brush is cumbersome and feels like a throwback to 2001.

Is the only way to set these zones with an ellipsis or can you select non-perfect areas via a selection tool as well?

lennydude 04-21-2013 03:25 AM

Have a question.............

I currently use Photoshop 3 and really like it. I wanted some of the later tools to use for my photos so I D/L LR4 and gave it a try.

If I want to manipulate just one photo that I saved to my desktop....................it appeared it would not do just one photo? The program appears to be all about albums? Am I correct or am I missing something?

TIA

secondclaw 04-21-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL (Post 58985296)
For me, this is reason enough in and of itself to upgrade. I use LR at home, work, and on the road and having to carry around an external HD with all my photos is majorly annoying.

How well does it apply the changes once you get the full size image back in there? Is it exactly as previewed on the small image or are there some quirks?

The thing that I've always wanted most in LR is the quick selection tool that photoshop has, allowing you to apply changes to that selection. The graduated filter doesn't work in many scenarios (trees or building sticking up into the sky) and painting with the adjustment brush is cumbersome and feels like a throwback to 2001.

Is the only way to set these zones with an ellipsis or can you select non-perfect areas via a selection tool as well?

First, I haven't spent too much time with offline edit mode but as far as I understand, it just stores a list of instructions, which are replayed later. So far seems pretty accurate.

As far as zones, only ovals and circles, which is indeed a bit limiting, but better than before. It will at least preserve each zone selection, and you can go back later and apply different adjustments if needed.

Arrow34 04-25-2013 11:00 AM

Also remember if a good deal to get lightroom 4 right before lightroom 5 is released you might be able to get a free upgrade to lightroom 5. I did that with the last version of Lightroom.

Amaylin 04-25-2013 11:02 AM

I like photoshop better.