Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   GoPro HERO3 Silver Edition 1080P Camera $233 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5981774-gopro-hero3-silver-edition-1080p-camera-233-free-shipping)

DJ3xclusive 04-22-2013 08:03 AM

GoPro HERO3 Silver Edition 1080P Camera $233 + Free Shipping

2 Attachment(s)
Hero3 Silver Box Contents
  • HERO3: Silver Edition Camera
  • 197' (60 m) Waterproof Housing
  • Assorted Mounting Hardware
  • Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
  • Quick Release Buckle
  • J-Hook Buckle
  • Curved Adhesive Mount
  • Flat Adhesive Mount
  • 3-Way Pivot Arm
  • USB Charging Cable
  • 1-Year Limited Warranty
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-HER...460dbdbb28

brisar 04-22-2013 08:03 AM

GoPro HERO3 Silver Edition 1080P Camera $233 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
GreatBargains via eBay has GoPro HERO3 Silver Edition 1080P Camera (CHDHN-301) for $233 with free shipping. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Includes
  • Quick Release Buckle
  • J-Hook Buckle
  • Curved Adhesive Mount
  • Flat Adhesive Mount
  • 3-Way Pivot Arm
  • USB Charging Cable

wikipost 04-22-2013 08:03 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

OOS
"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

From the seller's FAQ:
Many manufactures claim they do not honor eBay sales simply because they are upset at the low prices their items sell for. Technically it is illegal for any manufacturer to deny warranty of any legitimate item sold. If you are denied warranty service by the manufacturer, contact us and we will take care of it for you.

If you still have concerns, the price on the unit has enough of a substantial discount to allow for the purchase of a Squaretrade warranty. Squaretrade is an eBay affiliate that offers warranties for pennies on the dollar based on the items value. Upon successful purchase, eBay allows Squaretrade to email you directly to solicit a warranty. You can read more about their offers at www.squaretrade.com.

nowaybro 04-22-2013 08:09 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the Post. I am always in for a good GoPro deal

sgrinavi 04-22-2013 08:10 AM

Damn, I just got one yesterday for 255 plus shipping

canonikon 04-22-2013 08:14 AM

why you posting this twice?

Metric 04-22-2013 08:16 AM

How much better is the black version?

Xeno057 04-22-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowaybro (Post 59002622)
Awesome! Thanks for the Post. I am always in for a good GoPro deal

Hrm.. Just how many GoPros do you have? :scratch:

Xeno057 04-22-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 59002484)
  • Quick Release Buckle
  • J-Hook Buckle
  • Curved Adhesive Mount
  • Flat Adhesive Mount
  • 3-Way Pivot Arm
  • USB Charging Cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-HER...460dbdbb28

Should I buy this? I consider you my financial planner.

eecyclone 04-22-2013 08:29 AM

I almost jumped on this last time it was the eBay daily deal. Still contemplating...

Broseman 04-22-2013 08:33 AM

You can get this on Amazon for $199.00 with $4.99 shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B77P2IU

imdbui 04-22-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broseman (Post 59003172)

*Please note: Does not include mount attachment and housing

DJ3xclusive 04-22-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeno057 (Post 59002856)
Should I buy this? I consider you my financial planner.

lol Thanks :worship:

This was a popular FP deal back then with over 50+ TU. Took awhile for the price to come back down again, good opportunity to jump on it. Aside from the FP deal, It was posted few more times at $306, $250, $340 and $245. After that I hardly see them on sale for this particular model

clmsntiger1 04-22-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

The deal on Amazon doesn't include the housing or any mounting hardware. The Ebay deal includes this.

From Ebay page:

•HERO3: Silver Edition Camera
•197' (60 m) Waterproof Housing
•Assorted Mounting Hardware
•Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
•Quick Release Buckle
•J-Hook Buckle
•Curved Adhesive Mount
•Flat Adhesive Mount
•3-Way Pivot Arm
•USB Charging Cable
•1-Year Limited Warranty

nowaybro 04-22-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeno057 (Post 59002798)
Hrm.. Just how many GoPros do you have? :scratch:

I do alot of multi angle shooting so this purchase makes it 5 :)

uzeq 04-22-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metric (Post 59002786)

The issue (last I checked anyway) is that the black version is plagued with bugs. The Silver version is much more stable.

nowaybro 04-22-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Not only does it not include housing and retail accessories but It is most likely a knock off. See this Amazon verified purchase review:

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective device, April 13, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase
"This review is from: GoPro Hero3: Silver Edition HD Camera with Retail Packaged Accessories & Travel Bag (Electronics)
Defective camera. USB connection to computer was intermittent and did not work 9 out of 10 times on 4 different computers so I know it is the camera. The wifi also did not work despite doing the firmware upgrade 5 times both automatically and manually. The battery is a generic one that did not have the GoPro label on it. The camera did have a serial number inside unlike some of the other lower cost sellers on Amazon for this item.

It just smells like a knock off to me, you can also find these knock offs on eBay for around and lower than that price, just remember a knock off is not a GoPro :)

eecyclone 04-22-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eecyclone (Post 59003054)
I almost jumped on this last time it was the eBay daily deal. Still contemplating...

Buy first, think about it later. Done.

Thanks OP.

Drift Motion 04-22-2013 09:47 AM

in4one

trackerjd 04-22-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

The Black version is about twice as good as the silver version when you compare what fps rate it can record at versus the silver. The black version is the only one capable of 60hz 1080p video and even higher resolution video up to 4k at 12 fps.

It's a shame the black version is having bugs, I am going to wait for a sale on it and just deal with having to send it back for a replacement a couple time if I get a dud. Otherwise wait until the latest revision.

This is a pretty good deal if you only want 30hz 1080p or only want to do 720p at 60hz. Most HDTV are capable of playing 1080p at 60hz and a lot of the newer ones are 120hz at 1080p. While the silver version will give you good video, it wont be the best possible and you might not be getting the full experience possible with you TV. depending on how long you want the video to be future proof reasonably, I would go for this or the black edition.

blackflag486 04-22-2013 09:58 AM

Seems like a great deal.. Will wait till Snowboarding season comes back!

BlueOvalStangGT 04-22-2013 10:03 AM

Oh man.... I probably should buy this. I bought one with the since expired $100 off coupon and before I could make it home, it was stolen out of my car. Hate to spend $433 on one GoPro but oh well.

bimbot 04-22-2013 10:06 AM

Been a couple months since that last deal. I was so tempted even though I have a 2 right now but I guess I'm just holding off on a good deal or when they've ironed out some of the problems with the black.

Great deal though. I love Go Pros.

sorta_guy 04-22-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Their Black Edition is top of the line, followed by Silver & then White Editions.

The main difference is in the megapixellation, fps (feet per second), low light recording capabilities, etc between them.
Few accessories comes (e.g. wifi remote) included with the Black Edition. :D

sinners 04-22-2013 10:11 AM

+1 on the waiting until some of the problems go away. Saw the grey perform last winter, looks great, great audio but his was plagued with the battery life problem/issue.

Hyuni 04-22-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorta_guy (Post 59005106)
Their Black Edition is top of the line, followed by Silver & then White Editions.

The main difference is in the megapixellation, fps (feet per second), low light recording capabilities, etc between them.
Few accessories comes (e.g. wifi remote) included with the Black Edition. :D

I believe you mean frames per second

chucktang 04-22-2013 10:14 AM

Thanks OP. Bought one.

Sold my black edition last week. Loved my Hero 2. Loved my Hero 3 Silver.

Black edition = lemon.

ksawyer4 04-22-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

i'm actually looking for just the camera for the cheapest price. do you guys think this is a good deal?

SSV3NOM 04-22-2013 10:32 AM

Damn.. NY sales tax. Guy still think its a deal at $252? Looking for a snorkeling camera..

EvaUnitAammar 04-22-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyuni (Post 59005194)
I believe you mean frames per second

loooooooooooooooooooool, Feet per second? whaaaaaaaaaaaa

dhodson 04-22-2013 10:38 AM

what is the best way to attach these things?

i purchased a siler about a month ago but havent gotten around to really using it mostly bc im not sure how to make best use of it

Xeno057 04-22-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSV3NOM (Post 59005678)
Damn.. NY sales tax. Guy still think its a deal at $252? Looking for a snorkeling camera..

I refer you to this post. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=59003254&postcount=12

And I'd say it's an OK deal at $250. I'm waiting for $200.

adriankeith 04-22-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhodson (Post 59005848)
what is the best way to attach these things?

i purchased a siler about a month ago but havent gotten around to really using it mostly bc im not sure how to make best use of it

that's more application specific. they sell such a wide variety of mounts that this is something you need to look into yourself. a few have some really solid 3M "tape" that fixes to a surface. I recently bought one at best buy, mounted it to the top of my helmet and rode through socal canyons yesterday speeds ~60mph, freeways at ~95mph and didn't sweat it at all. Solid mount, solid case, even managed to drop the camera from a 5ft table with no damage to the unit or housing at all.

Cassock 04-22-2013 10:51 AM

+1 for Black = lemon. I just sent one back because it stops recording for no reason, has fits depending on what SD card you use, etc.

Thanks, OP. Just might get this one instead

Hyuni 04-22-2013 10:54 AM

For those of you that have Go Pros and use them recreationally (not for-pay videography and filming), how often do you use them and do you find yourself finding a good value from them?

I'm a hobbyist photographer and use my camera multiple times a week on average. I like the idea of hands free HD video, but I can't think of any real consistent use I could get from it. I imagine myself taking a lot of video of my boring day to day life at first, with some POV long boarding and snowboarding in the winter, but kinda boring.

Just wondering what people use it for. Any insight would be nice!

GoalerPro35 04-22-2013 11:00 AM

In 4 1, thx!

chucktang 04-22-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyuni (Post 59006220)
For those of you that have Go Pros and use them recreationally (not for-pay videography and filming), how often do you use them and do you find yourself finding a good value from them?

I'm a hobbyist photographer and use my camera multiple times a week on average. I like the idea of hands free HD video, but I can't think of any real consistent use I could get from it. I imagine myself taking a lot of video of my boring day to day life at first, with some POV long boarding and snowboarding in the winter, but kinda boring.

As a motorcyclist who commutes once in awhile, I use the go pro as extra proof in case of an accident since people are quick to blame motorcyclists for reckless riding 110% of the time.

dhodson 04-22-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adriankeith (Post 59006098)
that's more application specific. they sell such a wide variety of mounts that this is something you need to look into yourself. a few have some really solid 3M "tape" that fixes to a surface. I recently bought one at best buy, mounted it to the top of my helmet and rode through socal canyons yesterday speeds ~60mph, freeways at ~95mph and didn't sweat it at all. Solid mount, solid case, even managed to drop the camera from a 5ft table with no damage to the unit or housing at all.

i guess im not feeling so confident in tape. obviously with tape you can attach it to anything that you dont mind taping. i was curious if the other attachments really work out well. for instance i believe they have a body harness but it would appear to me that this typically would be too low for most applications.

gridStorm 04-22-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyuni (Post 59006220)

Nobody actually uses these. It's a decent deal, so we buy it. We open it, feel good about saving $60 (what else can I buy with this extra money?), install software and use it for a few days, then it sits in a drawer until we move to a bigger house that can hold more stuff.

sidejun 04-22-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gridStorm (Post 59006452)
Nobody actually uses these. It's a decent deal, so we buy it. We open it, feel good about saving $60 (what else can I buy with this extra money?), install software and use it for a few days, then it sits in a drawer until we move to a bigger house that can hold more stuff.

^^ This:drool:

adriankeith 04-22-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhodson (Post 59006416)
i guess im not feeling so confident in tape. obviously with tape you can attach it to anything that you dont mind taping. i was curious if the other attachments really work out well. for instance i believe they have a body harness but it would appear to me that this typically would be too low for most applications.

I was wary about the tape as well, but it's a really thick adhesive and I trust 3M. After mounting it to my helmet I could feel that this thing wasn't going anywhere. The camera locks into the mount with a very positive feel so again, I haven't worried about it since mounting it. It held up extremely well even at high speeds so I don't think it's something you need to be too worried about.

I'm going to try out the body harness later this week as I want a different view (behind the wind screen). My current videos look really high above the bike and I wanted more of the bike in the picture.

Again, it really depends on the applications. A lot of their other mounts are clamp style so even more solid than the adhesive I'd say.

Hyuni 04-22-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucktang (Post 59006402)
As a motorcyclist who commutes once in awhile, I use the go pro as extra proof in case of an accident since people are quick to blame motorcyclists for reckless riding 110% of the time.

Kinda like how in Russia, everyone has dash cams for their cars to protect themselves? That's a great idea! Too bad I sold my bike two years ago... When the weather is awesome, I really do wish to I still had it, but can't justify getting another one considering the risk.
ride safe!

Quote:

That's exactly how I feel about it. All the awesome Go Pro vids are people sky diving, wind suit flying, snowboarding doing crazy ass jumps, and snorkeling. Besides snowboarding, I do n't do anything remotely that awesome and even snowboarding is kinda lame since I don't go crazy.

I think this will be a pass for me.

runtohell121 04-22-2013 11:17 AM

I wish it could be use as dash cam.. But doesn't have the g-sensor or auto record when car starts/power feeds in... I rather have a GoPro over some dash cam for video quality...

RLeav20717 04-22-2013 11:24 AM

Went ahead and bought it..last time ebay had it for 245 if I remember correctly..

230.xx after my sweet eBay bucks...thanks OP!

EDIT: Looks like it was 229.99 last time via same seller.

Double EDIT: For you motorcycle riders out there...Do you have this attached to the top of your helmets, or on the side?

I had a GoPro 2 and I believe in Ohio, putting it on top is illegal..but my side view always captured part of my helmet, which I did not like..just curious as to where you have your GoPros located

adriankeith 04-22-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLeav20717 (Post 59006898)
Went ahead and bought it..last time ebay had it for 245 if I remember correctly..

230.xx after my sweet eBay bucks...thanks OP!

EDIT: Looks like it was 229.99 last time via same seller.

Double EDIT: For you motorcycle riders out there...Do you have this attached to the top of your helmets, or on the side?

I had a GoPro 2 and I believe in Ohio, putting it on top is illegal..but my side view always captured part of my helmet, which I did not like..just curious as to where you have your GoPros located

I've got mine mounted on the top of my helmet and I like it there for general cruising/riding. However, I think I'll be getting the chest mount for when I hit the canyons, the angle from up top is a bit high for me as I'd like to see my speedometer and more of the ground in front of me.

joebob2000 04-22-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLeav20717 (Post 59006898)

Orly? Sounds like a bizarre law (i live/ride in Ohio) but if attachments to the top of helmets are illegal, just skip the helmet and mount it on top of your head! :cool:

w1n78 04-22-2013 11:43 AM

are these light enough that those cheap $40 RC helicopter can carry it?

BlueOvalStangGT 04-22-2013 12:08 PM

Got one.

tacos4cheap 04-22-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w1n78 (Post 59007364)

no not the cheap 40$ RC helicopters. They sell RC helicopters with built in cameras though.

sssaksena 04-22-2013 12:16 PM

Nice! bought one without thinking twice these sure is a slickdeal!
Thanks.

Genius4sho 04-22-2013 12:26 PM

I just read an article today about the guy who invented the GoPro. He's now a billionare because of it. He started off with hardly anything and made it big.

east2west 04-22-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genius4sho (Post 59008434)
I just read an article today about the guy who invented the GoPro. He's now a billionare because of it. He started off with hardly anything and made it big.

Don't forget - his parents were pretty comfortable financially. The article is in the Forbes Magazine. Regardless though, the guy's story and what it took to create GoPro is 100% RESPECT!!!

Genius4sho 04-22-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by east2west (Post 59008484)
Don't forget - his parents were pretty comfortable financially. The article is in the Forbes Magazine. Regardless though, the guy's story and what it took to create GoPro is 100% RESPECT!!!

I think his mother gave him a 35k loan to start GoPro. I wish I could get a loan like that, I'd be a billionare too. :bounce:

hqh51 04-22-2013 12:43 PM

The Hero 3 Black Edition recently saw a firmware update on April 3, 2013. It is more stable now. As for the stop recording randomly, it appears that this has to do with ProTune on and the microSD memory card not having sustained writing speed. See here on the discovery: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/t...12096.html

yankdez 04-22-2013 12:44 PM

does this come with 1yr warranty since it isnt from an authorized retailer????

Edit:
Listing states - Many manufactures claim they do not honor eBay sales simply because they are upset at the low prices their items sell for. Technically it is illegal for any manufacturer to deny warranty of any legitimate item sold. If you are denied warranty service by the manufacturer, contact us and we will take care of it for you.

If you still have concerns, the price on the unit has enough of a substantial discount to allow for the purchase of a Squaretrade warranty. Squaretrade is an eBay affiliate that offers warranties for pennies on the dollar based on the items value. Upon successful purchase, eBay allows Squaretrade to email you directly to solicit a warranty. You can read more about their offers at www.squaretrade.com.

I'm not so confident in "contact us and we'll take care of it"

JabberWockey 04-22-2013 12:46 PM

FYI - Bought this same camera a month ago for a project I am working on.

Just so you know, even with the most recent firmware updates, it's still buggy and will turn off magically from time to time. We also have a hard time accessing the images/video over IP, which constantly drops with the camera's wifi (no matter what computer we connect to it with).

We can see youtube videos of people being able to access streams over wifi, but no matter what device or wireless we use, it still drops after 3 to 6 seconds.

duckzor 04-22-2013 12:50 PM

I am waiting for a deal on the drift ghost HD

mavrev6 04-22-2013 01:07 PM

Nice, I'm in. Thanks.

jpw21683 04-22-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

No. But they do work with $500+ quadcopters. :)

http://youtu.be/-WWxIuVfELw

saltyfood 04-22-2013 01:09 PM

for it's all features and abilities, it came with great performance. I'll buy this for present to my father birthday. thanks for this post :)

Ehlacore 04-22-2013 01:10 PM

In 4 1,

My wife wanted one to mount to the car. She is from Russia where they typical have these mounted as "evidence". Americans have laughed at the idea, and I kind of did too, until she got into a terrible accident with no witnesses recently and now we are wishing we had one to prove she was not at fault.

senorcordoba 04-22-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hqh51 (Post 59008732)
The Hero 3 Black Edition recently saw a firmware update on April 3, 2013. It is more stable now. As for the stop recording randomly, it appears that this has to do with ProTune on and the microSD memory card not having sustained writing speed. See here on the discovery: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/t...12096.html

I recently bought a black edition and after updating the firmware, no issues at all.

DenverDiver 04-22-2013 01:27 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but

White = Hero 1
Silver = Hero 2
Black = newest version

So a silver one is a Hero 2 with integrated wifi and smaller package

Seihaku 04-22-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverDiver (Post 59009556)
Correct me if I'm wrong but

White = Hero 1
Silver = Hero 2
Black = newest version

So a silver one is a Hero 2 with integrated wifi and smaller package

You are, more or less, correct.

The Black is the new one, new video processor, much better low light performance.
The Silver is a Hero 2 with Wifi, Smaller size and Dive Housing.
The White is a Hero 1 with Wifi, Smaller size and Dive Housing.

To note it isn't some cheesy "software" limitation on the cameras, the hardware is different on all 3 models. The Dive Housing is important to mention since the GoPro Hero 2 housing that is included has the rounded lens which goes in and out of focus under water. Not a problem with the 3.

fuzzyfacedog 04-22-2013 01:31 PM

when i run mine on USB power, it gets really, really hot. A couple of times it's turned itself off due to overheating I think. Does anyone else experience overheating when running via USB power? (HERO3 Silver from same seller when it was $229).

Does it not charge when in use via USB power?

Got this well reviewed pair of batteries, with plug in charger, and car charger for $22 shipped Prime.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQUXN...25410_item

Why do so many Russian videos exist from car mounted cams? And so many combating. Are there no cops there? Lots of hit and runs it seems too.
Free for all law there?

sfoan 04-22-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehlacore (Post 59009240)
In 4 1,

My wife wanted one to mount to the car. She is from Russia where they typical have these mounted as "evidence". Americans have laughed at the idea, and I kind of did too, until she got into a terrible accident with no witnesses recently and now we are wishing we had one to prove she was not at fault.

They do that in Asia too

sssaksena 04-22-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfoan (Post 59009742)
They do that in Asia too

Thats a great idea. But how would you know that you are going to get in an accident, so you can turn on the camera? I don't get it? Do you turn it ON before you start driving? what if you are driving like 3-4hrs batteries wont last that long, would they?:confused:

Seihaku 04-22-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sssaksena (Post 59009840)
Thats a great idea. But how would you know that you are going to get in an accident, so you can turn on the camera? I don't get it? Do you keep it on before you start driving? what if you are driving like 3-4hrs batteries wont last that long, would they?:confused:

Cigarette lighter charger + dash mount?

Mattsgarage 04-22-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

In 4 1,

Also lets you capture meteors which makes it well worth it.

JennaLotres80 04-22-2013 01:51 PM

Great deal, thank you!

FrankAZ 04-22-2013 02:18 PM

I have an H3 BE - and the resolution is GREAT! I waited a few months before I made the purchase, and the factory firmware was from mid-march.

So far - I haven't had an issue with it, and with the latest firmware, it appears solid. I tend to record my bike rides (especially commuting bike rides) for my own safety.

Now if this was only a black I could add a second one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by trackerjd (Post 59004842)
The Black version is about twice as good as the silver version when you compare what fps rate it can record at versus the silver. The black version is the only one capable of 60hz 1080p video and even higher resolution video up to 4k at 12 fps.

It's a shame the black version is having bugs, I am going to wait for a sale on it and just deal with having to send it back for a replacement a couple time if I get a dud. Otherwise wait until the latest revision.

MaxS3499 04-22-2013 02:21 PM

are the supports included sufficient for mounting this to the wheel wells of my car ? what about inside onto the windscreen of an S2000 between the headrests ? if not, what parts do I need, and how much are they ?

yankdez 04-22-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankAZ (Post 59010498)
I have an H3 BE - and the resolution is GREAT! I waited a few months before I made the purchase, and the factory firmware was from mid-march.

So far - I haven't had an issue with it, and with the latest firmware, it appears solid. I tend to record my bike rides (especially commuting bike rides) for my own safety.

Now if this was only a black I could add a second one!

i'm not that techy, but can you frame your shots with the wifi app even if you are in a remote area (e.g., middle of ocean) where I dont usually get a signal on my smartphone?

FrankAZ 04-22-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankdez (Post 59010550)
i'm not that techy, but can you frame your shots with the wifi app even if you are in a remote area (e.g., middle of ocean) where I dont usually get a signal on my smartphone?

Yes, the GoPro app uses a ad-hoc connection to the camera.

One odd thing to note, is that there is a bit of a delay with the camera and app.

iPhone/IOS - about 5 seconds.
Android - about 2-3 seconds.

One other thing to note is that having WiFi on does shorten the battery life - and from what I've seen - a LOT!

Troublestylist 04-22-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

No way. Too heavy.

Cheapest way is to get an 808 keychain camera ($8-40 depending on version). They can be carried on quadcopters like the V929 (and larger).

The V959 comes with a camera pre-installed. It may be able to be triggered from the remote. (A similar version from MJX can be).

Hobby King has a wing camera for $30-40 that I just ordered. The quality is higher (HD, 5mp), and it supposedly has motion sensing activation. It's probably the closest thing you can get to GoPro quality, without needing an expensive quadcopter.

w1n78 04-22-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpw21683 (Post 59009218)
No. But they do work with $500+ quadcopters. :)

http://youtu.be/-WWxIuVfELw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troublestylist (Post 59012012)
No way. Too heavy.

Cheapest way is to get an 808 keychain camera ($8-40 depending on version). They can be carried on quadcopters like the V929 (and larger).

The V959 comes with a camera pre-installed. It may be able to be triggered from the remote. (A similar version from MJX can be).

Hobby King has a wing camera for $30-40 that I just ordered. The quality is higher (HD, 5mp), and it supposedly has motion sensing activation. It's probably the closest thing you can get to GoPro quality, without needing an expensive quadcopter.

thanks for the response. i was trying to come up with more excuses on why it would be a good idea to purchase the gopro. i know it's great cam but is it a justifiable purchase. slickdeals has helped start many arguments with my wife :hug:

Questionable8s 04-22-2013 04:14 PM

Apparently they already fixed the many issues for the Hero3 Black edition with a firmware update.

jpw21683 04-22-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w1n78 (Post 59012768)
thanks for the response. i was trying to come up with more excuses on why it would be a good idea to purchase the gopro. i know it's great cam but is it a justifiable purchase. slickdeals has helped start many arguments with my wife :hug:

I hear ya! :)

I'm still on the fence on this...I don't think I'll get enough practical use out of it.

yankdez 04-22-2013 05:00 PM

repped for the help. know if the gopro smartphone app allows playback? all of my research so far only confirms live/preview mode.

theyangster 04-22-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

In 4 1,

I highly suggest you get a dashcam like this instead

http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/view...f=28&t=583

I have one and its great, that ebay seller even included an unexpectedly free gps mount on my order. The windows only software works well, its kinda cool to see the speed (only in KM/h though :( ) and it has a shock sensor which records 15sec before and after a 'shock', its a little sensitive, going over the lane separators causes mine to go into 30 quick record mode. But for $100 its awesome, I was looking at the ~$50 and those all have different tradeoffs.

I have a hero 2 and while I used that as a 'dash cam' I would never leave that out in open in my car, it'd be gone in a second!

MaxS3499 04-22-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxS3499 (Post 59010548)
are the supports included sufficient for mounting this to the wheel wells of my car ? what about inside onto the windscreen of an S2000 between the headrests ? if not, what parts do I need, and how much are they ?

can anyone answer this ?

Slimeyface 04-22-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattsgarage (Post 59009936)
Also lets you capture meteors which makes it well worth it.

:lol: :applause:

Thank you.

chitownSox 04-22-2013 06:44 PM

Dash Cam

I have this one and could not be happier http://dashcamtalk.com/finevu-cr-500hd/

I hard wired it in and it works in parking and driving mode. Picture quality is excellent

C

stabbing 04-22-2013 06:58 PM

In for one! So excited for the summer!

cantz56 04-22-2013 07:04 PM

Gotta have one.....

Tristan944 04-22-2013 07:29 PM

This camera would be a lot better if it had a 2 megapixel sensor, not the outrageous 11 megapixel sensor. High definition video is 1920x1080, which is 2 megapixels. The pixels in an 11mp camera have to be extremely small, which makes the video very grainy and terrible in low-light conditions. If they used the same sensor with 2mp, the video would be significantly cleaner, crisper, brighter, and significantly better in low-light conditions. There is no downside in improving this video camera with a 2mp sensor. Even the high end, $1,000+ Canon cameras use a 2.37mp sensor, which equates to 2.07mp. Why would a professional video camera use a 2mp sensor? Because it looks better than anything else. Hopefully GoPro will stop playing the numbers game and start making a video camera with much better video quality.

Spider210 04-22-2013 07:43 PM

if you have a discount with verizon just buy it there... $225+tax and possibly charge it to your bill :)

Cannonball003 04-22-2013 08:04 PM

Go pro black edition please.

Cannonball003 04-22-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider210 (Post 59016214)
if you have a discount with verizon just buy it there... $225+tax and possibly charge it to your bill :)

black edition? link?

Samwise Gamgee 04-22-2013 09:04 PM

You know, the first time I saw these come out, I was like yeah right, >$200 for a digital camera video recorder? But, they seem to be popular. I guess their marketing did the job.

hqh51 04-22-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan944 (Post 59016020)
This camera would be a lot better if it had a 2 megapixel sensor, not the outrageous 11 megapixel sensor. High definition video is 1920x1080, which is 2 megapixels. The pixels in an 11mp camera have to be extremely small, which makes the video very grainy and terrible in low-light conditions. If they used the same sensor with 2mp, the video would be significantly cleaner, crisper, brighter, and significantly better in low-light conditions. There is no downside in improving this video camera with a 2mp sensor. Even the high end, $1,000+ Canon cameras use a 2.37mp sensor, which equates to 2.07mp. Why would a professional video camera use a 2mp sensor? Because it looks better than anything else. Hopefully GoPro will stop playing the numbers game and start making a video camera with much better video quality.

You forgot that the GoPro Hero line also does time lapse pictures and doubles up as a photo camera. That is why for the higher pixel count sensor.

Aaron813 04-22-2013 10:12 PM

Just what I was looking for, just in time too! Thanks!

arbitrary 04-22-2013 11:17 PM

Have a single-use coupon code for purchase directly from manufacturer's site. $100 off MSRP for black or silver. If anybody wants it, PM me.

Edit: gone!

hqh51 04-22-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxS3499
are the supports included sufficient for mounting this to the wheel wells of my car ? what about inside onto the windscreen of an S2000 between the headrests ? if not, what parts do I need, and how much are they ? can anyone answer this ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxS3499 (Post 59014336)
can anyone answer this ?

I don't know how a S2000 wheel well is constructed of, but most likely you'll have to fancy a mounting technique yourself in a wheel well. As for the windscreen, if it's flat plastic or glass, you can use suction cup mount. That is sold separately. I think this is where you would like to have it mounted to capture video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlAOdsZuzg ?

Here's more info for S2000 owners with GoPro: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/8...opro-crew/

dingslu 04-22-2013 11:20 PM

How is GoPro compared to Contour cams?
I like Contour's metal construction better than GoPro's plastic case.

samsen 04-22-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingslu (Post 59018652)

GoPro is the pioneer of what it stands for and the true standard of class against which all others are compared.

MiCantare 04-22-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingslu (Post 59018652)

I would say watch the side by side videos on Youtube and get the one that you like.

brianlee 04-22-2013 11:59 PM

I seriously was thinking about getting this but let me think more...

For iPhone 5 (which I currently have)
-has a screen
-can shoot longer (longer battery life)
-has a great camera (no complaints here)
-can get a waterproof case
-can get 60 fps with right app

GoPro
-slightly smaller
-wide angle
-various mounting options
-supports up to 64GB (vs my iPhone's 16GB)
-would rather break this than the iPhone 5
-I would have had to pay Apple $100 for 32GB, $200 for $64GB

Decisions, decisions...

itsderpxd 04-23-2013 12:10 AM

Amazon has this now for 199.99.

h_2_o 04-23-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianlee (Post 59018934)
I seriously was thinking about getting this but let me think more...

For iPhone 5 (which I currently have)
-has a screen
-can shoot longer (longer battery life)
-has a great camera (no complaints here)
-can get a waterproof case
-can get 60 fps with right app

GoPro
-slightly smaller
-wide angle
-various mounting options
-supports up to 64GB (vs my iPhone's 16GB)
-would rather break this than the iPhone 5
-I would have had to pay Apple $100 for 32GB, $200 for $64GB

Decisions, decisions...

totally different applications. but if you must probably the easiest difference would be drop an iphone in water and its gone. drop this in water with the housing and you pick it up. These are durable and great for recording in all environments, the iphone is not.

twostepopper 04-23-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsderpxd (Post 59019012)
Amazon has this now for 199.99.

From Amazon.com page:
Please note: Does not include mount attachment and housing.

rugia007 04-23-2013 01:41 PM

BLAH it sold out! :(

wakkoss 04-25-2013 08:52 PM

Got mine today...sure wish I'd have known I had to buy a microSD card for it. I can't play with it until I get one. Many of my original GoPro accessories won't work (batteries, charger, SD cards, housing) so I gotta rebuy. Bummer.

yankdez 04-26-2013 03:23 PM

got mine yesterday, and was curious to know if anyone else has a scratched lens on the camera (not housing). you have to look somewhat closely. i'm beginning to think these cameras were the B-grade cameras that didn't pass quality control from the official gopro company.

incognitto1 04-26-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankdez (Post 59104478)
got mine yesterday, and was curious to know if anyone else has a scratched lens on the camera (not housing). you have to look somewhat closely. i'm beginning to think these cameras were the B-grade cameras that didn't pass quality control from the official gopro company.

Hmmm..got mine yesterday too. I didn't see any scratches on the lense but will have to re-inspect tonight. Hope these are B-grade because that would be false advertisement from the seller, wouldn't it?

wakkoss 04-26-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitto1 (Post 59105382)
Hmmm..got mine yesterday too. I didn't see any scratches on the lense but will have to re-inspect tonight. Hope these are B-grade because that would be false advertisement from the seller, wouldn't it?

Why would you WANT it to be B grade? I highly doubt GoPro would sell ANY camera with a scratch on the lens deliberately, even if marked as a factory second. A scratched lens makes the camera essentially useless.

Mine's perfect. Bought a 64 gig microsd card today, got it synced up with my iPhone and been playing with it.

yankdez 04-26-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitto1 (Post 59105382)

i have to add that these are very fine blemishes, but please let me know nonetheless