Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens (Refurbished) $419 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/e/5988858-nikon-d3200-digital-slr-camera-18-55mm-vr-dx-af-s-zoom-lens-refurbished-419-free-shipping)

DJ3xclusive 04-25-2013 07:58 AM

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens (Refurbished) $419 + Free Shipping
 
1 Attachment(s)
  • 24MP DX CMOS sensor
  • ISO range 100-6400, expandablre to 12,800 Expeed 3 image processing engine 3-inch, 921k LCD monitor 1080p HD video at
  • 24 or 30 fps Stereo microphone jack
  • 4 frames per second burst mode
  • 11-point AF system
  • Guide Mode
  • Six Scene Modes (Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-Up, Night Portrait) Compatible with Nikon FX-format lenses, Speedlight system
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D32...5655a190a5

brisar 04-25-2013 07:58 AM

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens (Refurbished) $429 + Free Shipping
 
1 Attachment(s)
Adorama via eBay has Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens (Refurbished) for $429 with free shipping. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Hands on review courtesy of Engadget

brisar 04-25-2013 07:58 AM

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens (Refurbished) $419 + Free Shipping
 
1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE: Price has dropped to $419 with free shipping. Thanks snigam78

Adorama via eBay has Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens (Refurbished) for $429 with free shipping. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Hands on review courtesy of Engadget

BluGuy 04-25-2013 08:03 AM

(eBay Daily Deal by Adorama) Nikon D3200 24.2 MP Digital SLR w/18-55mm Lens -Refurbished by Nikon USA 25492B $429
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D32...5655a190a5

immad 04-25-2013 08:04 AM

Nikon D3200 24.2 MP Digital SLR w/18-55mm Lens -Refurbished by Nikon USA 25492B for $429 w/FS
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D32...5655a190a5

matchless3018 04-25-2013 08:12 AM

Wow. I paid more than this for my D3100 open box. Looks to be a good deal!

Edit: Of course that was almost 2 years ago.

fyu 04-25-2013 08:14 AM

this new crop sensor from nikon has some great reviews.

gabe23111 04-25-2013 08:47 AM

Lowest price I remember seeing this for...

I own the D5100 otherwise I'd get in on this.

fourml8r 04-25-2013 08:55 AM

$459 brand new [ibuysonline.com]

Fontao 04-25-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourml8r (Post 59072080)


Do you know if ibuysonline is an authorized Canon Dealer?

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

DJ3xclusive 04-25-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourml8r (Post 59072080)

Read specific reviews on those who purchase camera and they weren't favorable. 2st time hearing about the site :)

JimmmyD 04-25-2013 09:21 AM

Is this camera way better than the D3100 I just bought??

vip00 04-25-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourml8r (Post 59072080)

You're much better off buying refurb from authorized dealer with 90-day warranty than a new gray market model with no warranty of any kind.

ooisin 04-25-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmmyD (Post 59072750)
Is this camera way better than the D3100 I just bought??

Yes, this has the same 24mp as the top of the line D7100 which sells for over $1k

vip00 04-25-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooisin (Post 59073080)
Yes, this has the same 24mp as the top of the line D7100 which sells for over $1k

Just FYI, it's NOT the same sensor despite having a similar resolution... The D7100 uses a new sensor system without an anti-alias filter.

You can read the announcement details here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013...ass-filter

Note that it features a "robust feature set that includes a new 24.1-megapixel CMOS sensor", as opposed to the 24.2 MP sensor used in the D3200

CptObvious 04-25-2013 09:59 AM

Yep the D3200 sensor is made by Nikon, while the D7100 probably uses the D5200 Toshiba sensor (without the low-pass filter).

jbloggs 04-25-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmmyD (Post 59072750)
Is this camera way better than the D3100 I just bought??

Following might help

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon...ikon_D3100

inventix1136 04-25-2013 10:08 AM

I have the D5200 otherwise I would be all over this. Great camera that shoots AMAZING pictures.

C.H. 04-25-2013 10:10 AM

anyone wants to return d3100 and get this one?

ppt 04-25-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.H. (Post 59073970)
anyone wants to return d3100 and get this one?

Not much love like D3100 deal. Just 15 sold so far (not sure how accurate eBay is).

If I were you (a beginner), I'd stay with D3100 for a while and then upgrade to D5200 or D7100 later. But D3200 is on par with D5100 and picture quality is better according to the reviews. So if quality matters, go for it.

13entley 04-25-2013 10:24 AM

Had to pay tax, but still a killer deal.

jillmoni23 04-25-2013 10:24 AM

Thanks for the review posts - they helped a lot. I think I will pass.

TetrixS 04-25-2013 10:25 AM

Thank you, great deal!

fyu 04-25-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 59073170)
Just FYI, it's NOT the same sensor despite having a similar resolution... The D7100 uses a new sensor system without an anti-alias filter.

You can read the announcement details here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013...ass-filter

Note that it features a "robust feature set that includes a new 24.1-megapixel CMOS sensor", as opposed to the 24.2 MP sensor used in the D3200

they're basically the same sensor

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/...nd3)/Nikon

jillier 04-25-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourml8r (Post 59072080)

NO Battery, NO charger included with the camera!!!!!!!

vip00 04-25-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 59074544)
they're basically the same sensor

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/...nd3)/Nikon

First of all "basically the same sensor" and same sensor aren't the same thing. It's not the same sensor. It performs somewhere close. Though personally, I wouldn't consider 1256 useable ISO vs 1131 "basically the same", but that's an opinion.

fyu 04-25-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 59074688)
First of all "basically the same sensor" and same sensor aren't the same thing. It's not the same sensor. It performs somewhere close. Though personally, I wouldn't consider 1256 useable ISO vs 1131 "basically the same", but that's an opinion.

lol. 1256 vs 1131? close to no difference.

red_devil32 04-25-2013 10:40 AM

how is this compare to the D5100?

vip00 04-25-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 59074738)
lol. 1256 vs 1131? close to no difference.

In my own experience the ~150 point difference between the 60D and a T1i is huge. But as I said, personal experience will vary. This has little to do with my comment that it's not the same sensor in the D3200 vs D7100 as previously claimed...

fyu 04-25-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 59074860)
In my own experience the ~150 point difference between the 60D and a T1i is huge. But as I said, personal experience will vary. This has little to do with my comment that it's not the same sensor in the D3200 vs D7100 as previously claimed...

canon claims the t4i uses a new sensor compared to the t3i.

and heck all the variants of the sony 16mp sensor that nikon, pentax and sony uses.

lev280 04-25-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.H. (Post 59073970)
anyone wants to return d3100 and get this one?

I used to have a D-40 and I took several great photos with it. My uncle has a Canon 6D with expensive glass. However, whenever him and I are trying to take photos of family events with kids involved, he usually has to fiddle with his camera far longer then I do. I purchased the D3100 based on the cost ($299) and the simplicity it offers. Going to D3200 adds another $130 (43% over D3100) to the price tag and then once I obtain the D3200, why not go for the D5xxx (for a bit more) or D7xxx for more since they offer more features and quality!

Just my $0.02!

big mike 04-25-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 59074688)
First of all "basically the same sensor" and same sensor aren't the same thing. It's not the same sensor. It performs somewhere close. Though personally, I wouldn't consider 1256 useable ISO vs 1131 "basically the same", but that's an opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 59074860)
In my own experience the ~150 point difference between the 60D and a T1i is huge. But as I said, personal experience will vary. This has little to do with my comment that it's not the same sensor in the D3200 vs D7100 as previously claimed...

Your personal experience fails to take into account the fact that ISO values increase by a factor of 2, IE the gap from 400-800 is one stop, which is where the 60D and T1i land, vs the gap from 800-1600 is one stop where these cameras land. A "point" of ISO in the 400-800 range represents twice as much of a step in sensitivity value. Also the 60D probably has higher dynamic range and color depth (and resolution) all of which add to the visual difference.

grudoubleb 04-25-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lev280 (Post 59075018)
I used to have a D-40 and I took several great photos with it. My uncle has a Canon 6D with expensive glass. However, whenever him and I are trying to take photos of family events with kids involved, he usually has to fiddle with his camera far longer then I do. I purchased the D3100 based on the cost ($299) and the simplicity it offers. Going to D3200 adds another $130 (43% over D3100) to the price tag and then once I obtain the D3200, why not go for the D5xxx (for a bit more) or D7xxx for more since they offer more features and quality!

Just my $0.02!

Thanks for the peace of mind. I too was contemplating returning for the D3200, but I'll be sticking with the D3100 that came in the mail today. While it looks like the D3200 is a nicer camera (as it should be since it is 2 years newer), the D3100 seems to be no slouch either. And you're right, the $130 price difference is 43% of the price I paid for the D3100 - that money could probably be better spent on another lens, extra battery, carrying case, etc.

Yeatts 04-25-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grudoubleb (Post 59075130)
Thanks for the peace of mind. I too was contemplating returning for the D3200, but I'll be sticking with the D3100 that came in the mail today. While it looks like the D3200 is a nicer camera (as it should be since it is 2 years newer), the D3100 seems to be no slouch either. And you're right, the $130 price difference is 43% of the price I paid for the D3100 - that money could probably be better spent on another lens, extra battery, carrying case, etc.


I'm with you. I got the D3100 a couple weeks ago when the deal ran for $299 and I feel no need to drop an extra $130 for a camera that I don't feel is that much superior to the D3100.

I'd rather have the D3100, then buy the $99 lens 55-200mm that was on here the other day, and still have $30 leftover in my pocket for a memory card and case.

yada,yada,yada 04-25-2013 11:14 AM

One of the reviews I read said "Alongside the D3200, Nikon announced an optional Wi-Fi transmitter for the camera. The WU-1a clips into the USB socket of the D3200 and allows you to broadcast its images to smartphones and tablets running a Nikon app. The unit allows the camera's live view output to be streamed to the smart device and allows images to be shot remotely"

Read the full review here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200
[dpreview.com]

illuminati 04-25-2013 11:19 AM

Anyone know if this is good for videos? Primarily close ups of products. Would I be better off getting the canon t4i?

Mystery123 04-25-2013 11:28 AM

The only thing that I would like in this is articulating screen instead fixed screen.

pdawg17 04-25-2013 11:34 AM

What is the best way to get an extended warranty for this?

hempire 04-25-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdawg17 (Post 59076046)
What is the best way to get an extended warranty for this?

I just got the VIP one. I think it works with ebay purchases

http://www.adorama.com/vip.html

HenryWinkler187 04-25-2013 11:39 AM

Is this one better than the D5100?

shady_figure 04-25-2013 11:40 AM

Anyone know how this stacks up against the T3i? I've been on the fence on these 2, had the T2i for a while and loved it.

foxbatkllr 04-25-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDontLikeUu (Post 59075732)
Anyone know if this is good for videos? Primarily close ups of products. Would I be better off getting the canon t4i?

Sony a57

Buckeyefan 1 04-25-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fontao (Post 59072418)
Do you know if ibuysonline is an authorized Canon Dealer?

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

Or a Sony dealer? :rolleyes:

ppt 04-25-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryWinkler187 (Post 59076174)
Is this one better than the D5100?

Some good ideas:

http://www.digitalrev.com/article...xMzkzMTU_A

Personally, I like D5100 better for the flip screen and the (same D7000) sensor. But If you don't want flip screen and want more megapixels, D3200 is for you.

uhsarp 04-25-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppt (Post 59077350)
Some good ideas:

http://www.digitalrev.com/article...xMzkzMTU_A

Personally, I like D5100 better for the flip screen and the (same D7000) sensor. But If you don't want flip screen and want more megapixels, D3200 is for you.

Thanks. Missed the D5100 when it went on sale for the same price from the same seller. Hoping that it'll be offered again sometime soon..

ppt 04-25-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhsarp (Post 59077602)
Thanks. Missed the D5100 when it went on sale for the same price from the same seller. Hoping that it'll be offered again sometime soon..

If you don't mind Rakuten points, keep an eye on Rakuten point deals. I got refurbished one with 20x points for $480 effectively making the camera $384. You can spend the points for anything at Rakuten (and score better with $20-15 off $50 deals like this.)

snigam78 04-25-2013 01:29 PM

proce dropped to 419.00

SimplyShane 04-25-2013 01:30 PM

$419 now. Even better.

HiroProtagonist 04-25-2013 01:59 PM

Hey all,

I'm not particularly adept with cameras, and I'm looking to buy one for my girlfriend for her birthday. She used to have a Canon Rebel XTI, which wasn't particularly good, but still functional. She's a spectacular photographer, and likes to do artistic photography (professional style, not vacations etc). The Rebel worked for her up until about 4 years ago when it became obviously far behind. She's a fan of night photography, portraits, and magazine style photography (not so much sports or landscapes). She has a 50mm Nikon lens, and used the D80 for a couple weeks and didn't like its lack of low-light functionality, and said it still wasn't that amazing, but it was a marked improvement on the Rebel XTI.

Right now I'm debating between getting this camera and the D7000 (which I found on Craigslist for $600 with 5,000 pictures taken). I know the D7000 is a better camera (semi-pro, etc), but it's also 2 years older than the D3200. I'm not sure how to compare the specs--I know the D3200 has great resolution, but it doesn't translate into particularly impressive image quality. Right now I'm in love with the D7000, because it has a lot more functions, etc, and I know she'll use those. Is it actually a better camera even after 2 years?

cheema 04-25-2013 03:18 PM

I wonder if they'd give those of us who bought it at the higher $429 price earlier today, a $10 credit, if we asked nicely.

chaolanren 04-25-2013 03:26 PM

do you think a brand new bundle from costco $779.99 is better than this deal?

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3200...07777.html

blackb1rd88 04-25-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hempire (Post 59076126)
I just got the VIP one. I think it works with ebay purchases

http://www.adorama.com/vip.html

Actually, it doesn't look like it. From the Q&A page of Adorama VIP:

A shopper asked: Are items bought from Adorama through ebay covered by the VIP Extender Protection Plan?

Andrew R - Staff: Unfortunately no, only merchandise purchased directly through Adorama.com is covered by the extended warranty.

big mike 04-25-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiroProtagonist (Post 59079704)
Hey all,

I'm not particularly adept with cameras, and I'm looking to buy one for my girlfriend for her birthday. She used to have a Canon Rebel XTI, which wasn't particularly good, but still functional. She's a spectacular photographer, and likes to do artistic photography (professional style, not vacations etc). The Rebel worked for her up until about 4 years ago when it became obviously far behind. She's a fan of night photography, portraits, and magazine style photography (not so much sports or landscapes). She has a 50mm Nikon lens, and used the D80 for a couple weeks and didn't like its lack of low-light functionality, and said it still wasn't that amazing, but it was a marked improvement on the Rebel XTI.

Right now I'm debating between getting this camera and the D7000 (which I found on Craigslist for $600 with 5,000 pictures taken). I know the D7000 is a better camera (semi-pro, etc), but it's also 2 years older than the D3200. I'm not sure how to compare the specs--I know the D3200 has great resolution, but it doesn't translate into particularly impressive image quality. Right now I'm in love with the D7000, because it has a lot more functions, etc, and I know she'll use those. Is it actually a better camera even after 2 years?

If she likes the handling etc of the D80 and has older lenses, the D7000 may be the better choice. The D3200 has great image quality and high resolution, but it's low light capabilities aren't worlds away better than the D7000. It's small, has poor controls and doesn't work with older non AF-S lenses. It is slightly better but not much. It sounds like your girlfriend is far enough along the D7000 will suit her better, and 600 bucks for a 5000 shot example is the right price for that camera.

Dudewithoutapet 04-25-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiroProtagonist (Post 59079704)
Hey all,

I'm not particularly adept with cameras, and I'm looking to buy one for my girlfriend for her birthday. She used to have a Canon Rebel XTI, which wasn't particularly good, but still functional. She's a spectacular photographer, and likes to do artistic photography (professional style, not vacations etc). The Rebel worked for her up until about 4 years ago when it became obviously far behind. She's a fan of night photography, portraits, and magazine style photography (not so much sports or landscapes). She has a 50mm Nikon lens, and used the D80 for a couple weeks and didn't like its lack of low-light functionality, and said it still wasn't that amazing, but it was a marked improvement on the Rebel XTI.

Right now I'm debating between getting this camera and the D7000 (which I found on Craigslist for $600 with 5,000 pictures taken). I know the D7000 is a better camera (semi-pro, etc), but it's also 2 years older than the D3200. I'm not sure how to compare the specs--I know the D3200 has great resolution, but it doesn't translate into particularly impressive image quality. Right now I'm in love with the D7000, because it has a lot more functions, etc, and I know she'll use those. Is it actually a better camera even after 2 years?

If she's not into sports or landscapes, you lose some of the benefits of the D7000 compared to the D3200. You don't need the better AF (sports) or better body build (outdoors). Granted there are other things she may still like about the D7000, such as button layout, more pro build, compatibility with lenses. You do have to remember though, there is a $170 savings (+90 day warranty) with the D3200 in which you can buy more lenses for her, say the 35 1.8. I think you should really compare the functions and/or take her out to handhold each one and see which "feels" more right/intuitive.

cnewsgrp 04-25-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaolanren (Post 59081370)
do you think a brand new bundle from costco $779.99 is better than this deal?

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3200...07777.html

55-200 was on sale for $100 3 days ago

e63amg 04-25-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptObvious (Post 59073704)
Yep the D3200 sensor is made by Nikon, while the D7100 probably uses the D5200 Toshiba sensor (without the low-pass filter).

I have d3100 and d600. I bought the d3100 as a small camera for the wife and soon found myself wanting a better LCD. With this deal, I am going to upgrade to d3200 so I can have a clearer view of the pictures as I take them and not have to hope everything is tact sharp because I will know ahead of time.

Now, this thing is no d600 but under good lighting condition, you can focus fast and take great photos if you use something like a 35mm f/1.8.

e63amg 04-25-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeatts (Post 59075406)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grudoubleb (Post 59075130)
Thanks for the peace of mind. I too was contemplating returning for the D3200, but I'll be sticking with the D3100 that came in the mail today. While it looks like the D3200 is a nicer camera (as it should be since it is 2 years newer), the D3100 seems to be no slouch either. And you're right, the $130 price difference is 43% of the price I paid for the D3100 - that money could probably be better spent on another lens, extra battery, carrying case, etc.


I'm with you. I got the D3100 a couple weeks ago when the deal ran for $299 and I feel no need to drop an extra $130 for a camera that I don't feel is that much superior to the D3100.

I'd rather have the D3100, then buy the $99 lens 55-200mm that was on here the other day, and still have $30 leftover in my pocket for a memory card and case.

Save the money for the 35mm f/1.8 for sharp and shallow dof pictures that will wow your friends with ease! Don't buy more kit lens. ;)

central_driver 04-25-2013 09:46 PM

I had a t2i with a 50mm f1.8 lens and I had to stand way back. I just ordered the 50mm 1.8 nikon along with this camera. Im gonna try n get a refund before shipped and grab a 35mm for another 60bucks more. but whats the differences between 50mm and 35mm. I no 15mm but whats that mean to your pictures.

I take pictures of cars mostly and always in low light parking garage type pictures city lights etc.

rustum 04-25-2013 09:49 PM

How big is the view finder? Is it compared to t3i.

e63amg 04-25-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by central_driver (Post 59087738)
I had a t2i with a 50mm f1.8 lens and I had to stand way back. I just ordered the 50mm 1.8 nikon along with this camera. Im gonna try n get a refund before shipped and grab a 35mm for another 60bucks more. but whats the differences between 50mm and 35mm. I no 15mm but whats that mean to your pictures.

I take pictures of cars mostly and always in low light parking garage type pictures city lights etc.

Nikon d3200 has a crop sensor so your 50mm is really effectively 75mm which made it so you have to stand quite far away if you needed to get a wider shot.

35mm on this camera will be ~52mm equivalent on the d3200 and will allow you to be much closer to the subject and the view of the camera will be similar to what your eyes sees in front of you. I was able to pick up the 35mm on craigslist for an average price of $142.5 and I am pretty much going to keep the 35mm on this camera as an all around general shooter.

JimmmyD 04-25-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackb1rd88 (Post 59082150)
Actually, it doesn't look like it. From the Q&A page of Adorama VIP:

A shopper asked: Are items bought from Adorama through ebay covered by the VIP Extender Protection Plan?

Andrew R - Staff: Unfortunately no, only merchandise purchased directly through Adorama.com is covered by the extended warranty.

I spoke to Adorama directly ebay purchses are covered under VIP I promise..

jmills616 04-26-2013 06:32 AM

Waiting for the D5100's to drop...very soon.

doctorwizz 04-26-2013 08:37 AM

WTH in41. Kept telling myself that I don't need it. I always have upgradetitus. Just got a D3100 last month which takes perfect pics.
Anyone want a 3100?

Laneofsteel 04-26-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorwizz (Post 59094546)
WTH in41. Kept telling myself that I don't need it. I always have upgradetitus. Just got a D3100 last month which takes perfect pics.
Anyone want a 3100?

PM me with your asking price please.

ppt 04-26-2013 09:17 AM

$479 now. Deal dead.

jillmoni23 04-26-2013 09:35 AM

Man was just rethinking that I might buy one. Oh well.

htaddicted 04-26-2013 09:36 AM

I'm really confused as to which DSLR I should get (will be my first DSLR):

Canon T4i
Nikon D7100
Nikon D5200
or this Nikon D3200.

Picture quality and Video capabilities are priority. I'm mainly getting the camera to capture baby pictures/videos. I also don't want the camera to be too heavy either when I do want to take it on a trip. The D7100 is probably going to heavy out of all of them but is it that much heavy with kit lens? Some people really like D7100 for the image quality but then they are annoyed by some performance issues and not being so user friendly as Canon.

big mike 04-26-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htaddicted (Post 59096198)
I'm really confused as to which DSLR I should get (will be my first DSLR):

Canon T4i
Nikon D7100
Nikon D5200
or this Nikon D3200.

Picture quality and Video capabilities are priority. I'm mainly getting the camera to capture baby pictures/videos. I also don't want the camera to be too heavy either when I do want to take it on a trip. The D7100 is probably going to heavy out of all of them but is it that much heavy with kit lens? Some people really like D7100 for the image quality but then they are annoyed by some performance issues and not being so user friendly as Canon.

Honestly it depends a lot on how highly you value the video aspect. The Canon will be quite a bit better for video more than likely, though you'll want STM lenses (which aren't kitted with the T4i, only the T5i which is frankly overpriced) or an external mic, or both. All 3 of the Nikons are probably going to have a pretty significant edge in picture quality, but that's subjective, it's not like the Canon is bad, but the Nikons are capable of much more when used correctly (nearly a stop better light sensitivity and more than 2 stops more dynamic range at base ISO). I'd say the D5200 is the closest thing to a direct comparison to the T4i, with the articulating screen etc. The 7100 is geared more toward an experienced/serious photog, but I started with a D200, if you're tech savvy and willing to do a lot of homework on how to do things right the D7100 won't ever "limit" you and it works with older non AF-S lenses. The D3200 is the most compact but you sacrifice a lot of controls etc for the size and price.

jkinz 04-26-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htaddicted (Post 59096198)
I'm really confused as to which DSLR I should get (will be my first DSLR):

Canon T4i
Nikon D7100
Nikon D5200
or this Nikon D3200.

Picture quality and Video capabilities are priority. I'm mainly getting the camera to capture baby pictures/videos. I also don't want the camera to be too heavy either when I do want to take it on a trip. The D7100 is probably going to heavy out of all of them but is it that much heavy with kit lens? Some people really like D7100 for the image quality but then they are annoyed by some performance issues and not being so user friendly as Canon.

If it is your first DSLR I would think the D7100 would be "too much" so to speak. This website gives you a good run down for all cameras: http://snapsort.com/

The Nikon 3200 and 5200 both beat the T4i on that website. But as big mike mentioned, Cannon tends to get the better reviews for their video. So perhaps in your situtaion, a T3i or T4i is best.

ppt 04-26-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htaddicted (Post 59096198)
I'm really confused as to which DSLR I should get (will be my first DSLR):

Canon T4i
Nikon D7100
Nikon D5200
or this Nikon D3200.

Picture quality and Video capabilities are priority. I'm mainly getting the camera to capture baby pictures/videos. I also don't want the camera to be too heavy either when I do want to take it on a trip. The D7100 is probably going to heavy out of all of them but is it that much heavy with kit lens? Some people really like D7100 for the image quality but then they are annoyed by some performance issues and not being so user friendly as Canon.

Whatever the body you get, consider to add a prime lens (35mm 1.8g or 50mm 1.8g) and you'll be set. If you're doing lot of baby pictures (indoor, low light) a prime lens is a huge advantage.

Personally, I'd go with D5200 (or D5100 if I'm in a budget).

jdramirez 04-26-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lev280 (Post 59075018)
I used to have a D-40 and I took several great photos with it. My uncle has a Canon 6D with expensive glass. However, whenever him and I are trying to take photos of family events with kids involved, he usually has to fiddle with his camera far longer then I do. I purchased the D3100 based on the cost ($299) and the simplicity it offers. Going to D3200 adds another $130 (43% over D3100) to the price tag and then once I obtain the D3200, why not go for the D5xxx (for a bit more) or D7xxx for more since they offer more features and quality!

Just my $0.02!

you act like knowing what suitable settings are in manual is a bad thing. I think the 6d has a fully automatic option, but understanding that a shallow depth of field for a multi level group shot would ruin a photo and adjusting the depth of field accordingly isn't a flaw of the gear. being willing to allow the camera to make all decisions for you sounds like a flaw if the photographer.

central_driver 04-26-2013 11:33 AM

thank you Chil. Exactly what I was wondering. I was getting tired of walking across the street to get a picture of 1 car parked outside my place. and id have to do it at an angle at that because it wouldn't get the whole car in picture. I got the 35mm refurbished off ebay for 174.95. same seller as the one in the first post.

CAMERA IS 479.99 NOW!

PooMBA 04-26-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by central_driver (Post 59099220)
thank you Chil. Exactly what I was wondering. I was getting tired of walking across the street to get a picture of 1 car parked outside my place. and id have to do it at an angle at that because it wouldn't get the whole car in picture. I got the 35mm refurbished off ebay for 174.95. same seller as the one in the first post.

CAMERA IS 479.99 NOW!

Adorama is following Amazon's footsteps.
When SD sheeps start flocking to their websites, they change their prices, I am sure SD benefits with increased referral commission revenues, as these merchants with increases profitability. I smell giant NYC subway rat....!!!!!

Cracktower 04-26-2013 01:02 PM

Torn between 5200 or a Panasonic x920 camcorder....I do tend to take more video than pictures but I have heard that the 5200 produces some good video. Now I can always take some frames from the video for stills but the x920 has a 20.4mp still res. Don't know if it is good enough. Can't afford both so if anyone has any ideas let me know.

e63amg 04-26-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppt (Post 59097956)
Whatever the body you get, consider to add a prime lens (35mm 1.8g or 50mm 1.8g) and you'll be set. If you're doing lot of baby pictures (indoor, low light) a prime lens is a huge advantage.

Personally, I'd go with D5200 (or D5100 if I'm in a budget).


Definitely get the 35mm for baby shots because it's just going to be easier for you to be closer to the baby. My wife has a hard time being so far away from the baby with the 50mm (75mm equiv. on this camera). 50mm forced the wife to be much farther away from 1 ft minimum focus distance and was just too annoying for her.

e63amg 04-26-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkinz (Post 59097308)
If it is your first DSLR I would think the D7100 would be "too much" so to speak. This website gives you a good run down for all cameras: http://snapsort.com/

The Nikon 3200 and 5200 both beat the T4i on that website. But as big mike mentioned, Cannon tends to get the better reviews for their video. So perhaps in your situtaion, a T3i or T4i is best.

Definitely agree! Don't get the D7100 as the first DSLR.

I would recommend getting D3200 plus some other tips below!

* small: you might actually carry this everywhere you go and practice practice practice. D7100 is heavy enough and if you get heavy lens. You will end up not using it.
* kit lens is "cheap" and easy to be "throw away". D7100 kit lens are more costly.
* speaking of lens, get PRIME lens first and invest in a nice one such as the $200 35mm f/1.8 so you can force yourself to move around to take the pictures. And the low light performance is much better than the kit lens (18-55mm or 55-200mm).
* easy menus, d3200 has a guide mode that gives you some walk throughs.
* If you have to learn *1* mode other than full automatic to take pictures, learn Aperture Priority first. This gives you something called depth of field control to make pleasing images for the subject that is nice and sharp while backgrounds will be blurred. As you take a lot of pictures, you can gradually learn why sometimes you'd want to go to full manual mode which this camera supports!
* Set it to auto-iso for now until you learn how to control ISO, shutter speed, and aperture settings.
* D3200 is cheap enough that once you are ready to upgrade, you won't lose as much when you try to resell it.
* D7100 is expensive. In an event that you hate photography or just don't need all of the fancy controls and settings, you're not wasting the money you spent on the camera.

intence01 04-26-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htaddicted (Post 59096198)
I'm really confused as to which DSLR I should get (will be my first DSLR):

Canon T4i
Nikon D7100
Nikon D5200
or this Nikon D3200.

Picture quality and Video capabilities are priority. I'm mainly getting the camera to capture baby pictures/videos. I also don't want the camera to be too heavy either when I do want to take it on a trip. The D7100 is probably going to heavy out of all of them but is it that much heavy with kit lens? Some people really like D7100 for the image quality but then they are annoyed by some performance issues and not being so user friendly as Canon.

Keep in mind you're buying into a system. I'd be far less worried about which model you're buying rather than choosing Canon vs. Nikon based on the choices above. Look at both overall systems, and see which one you believe would better suit your needs ... lenses at various price points, features that each system offers, ergonomics, button placement etc.

At the end of the day, you'll likely have several lenses and maybe a flash when you replace the camera, those will probably be worth far more than the camera body, so choosing the right system is important.

To me, Canon has put more emphasis on video in their newer bodies while Nikon is lagging a bit in that area. Nikon is more advanced in sensor technology (or rather Sony is, since they make most of Nikon's sensors), and in general provides more AF points, and a few other specific features that photographers will value (spot metering tied to the current AF point instead of to the center for example). Canon also has a slightly better selection of lenses, and in general their lenses are slightly less costly (although with their latest generation of products, this is changing).

I'd decide what your wants are (purely photographs, mainly video, or a bit of both), then make your decision. If I was a beginner starting out with a budget in mind, I'd lean towards a lower priced body, and get a few high quality lenses. IMO that will provide far better results than getting a high-priced body and using the kit-lens.

Some lens choices if you're starting out (pick based on price and focal length)

Canon: 40mm f2.8 Pancake, Canon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4, Canon 85mm f.18 or 100mm f2.0, Canon 100mm Macro if you're planning on Macro stuff. STM lenses for video.
Nikon: 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 (many say this is sharper than the pricier 1.4), 85mm f1.8.

falsealarm 04-26-2013 01:37 PM

Is the price back up? Why am I seeing $479?

intence01 04-26-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falsealarm (Post 59102376)
Is the price back up? Why am I seeing $479?

It was an eBay deal of the day. No idea why SD put it as Friday's frontpage, as the prices generally change at 11am Eastern time when the deals refresh. It was yesterday's deal.

srini28 04-26-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 59102748)
It was an eBay deal of the day. No idea why SD put it as Friday's frontpage, as the prices generally change at 11am Eastern time when the deals refresh. It was yesterday's deal.

Is this deal expired????

jmills616 04-26-2013 03:46 PM

For whatever reason the powers that be in their infinite wisdom decided to raise th price $50 over the initial offer thinking that because the D3200 just didn't seem to be as hot as the D3100 raising the price would somehow motivate more buyers. Brilliant in how it's not working.

This particular model is do to drop to the recent D3100 level as well the D5100 (the one I'm after). Stay tuned.

jsaya 04-26-2013 04:15 PM

I actually just purchased this camera the other day - will primarily be using it for real estate photography (wide-angle interior shots) as well as video tours.
Here's my gear breakdown:

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$479.00

Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens (Black)
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$596.95

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories-Black
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$29.99

Item Subtotal: $1,105.94
Shipping & Handling: $11.97
Total Before Tax: $1,117.91
Shipment Total: $1,117.91

also these accessories:
Polaroid PL-108AF Studio Series Digital Auto Focus / TTL Shoe Mount Flash For The Nikon D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D3, D3S,
Sold by DBROTH
$48.95

Dolica GX600B200 Proline GX Series 60-Inch Aluminum Tripod and Ball Head Combo for DSLR
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$54.51

Item Subtotal: $103.46
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Total Before Tax: $103.46
Shipment Total: $103.4

I realize the price point on the camera wasn't the greatest but time is money and I needed it for a shoot. One of the major pros of the D3200 vs the T4i is image quality. Also vs the D5100, the D3200 has better video supporting 720p @ 60FPS whereas the D5100 only goes up to 30FPS.

Only a lil bummed about the lack of swivel out LCD but I'm planning on investing in the WiFi USB adapter for my Android. Problem solved ;)

Now I just need a smaller case for on the go travels.

Also, for a good wide-angle lens this is reviewed quite well - Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II Digital Zoom Lens (AF-S Motor) - $650 @ Amazon

doctorwizz 04-29-2013 06:03 PM

Got mine today. Looks like a defect. The viewfinder has distortion. Especially at the bottom where the info is. That part is really blurry. The diopter does not seem to adjust as well as the 3100 I had.
Anyone else get theirs?

radarlove 04-29-2013 06:22 PM

Got mine today as well... and quickly checked the viewfinder (looks okay), and the body had 69 shutter releases! The thing looks brand new, which, considering the shutter count, appears to be the case.

I'll be using the 18-200 mostly. What are all planning on doing with the kit lens?

e63amg 04-29-2013 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorwizz (Post 59155828)
Got mine today. Looks like a defect. The viewfinder has distortion. Especially at the bottom where the info is. That part is really blurry. The diopter does not seem to adjust as well as the 3100 I had.
Anyone else get theirs?

I got mine today and it looks pretty good so far. Packaging was like new except for the grey refurb box. Even the bottom of the camera looked brand new. The LCD is so much shaper than the D3100.

sample picture attached taken with the 35mm f/1.8

My shutter count was around 250 according to http://www.myshuttercount.com/

doctorwizz 05-03-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorwizz (Post 59155828)
Got mine today. Looks like a defect. The viewfinder has distortion. Especially at the bottom where the info is. That part is really blurry. The diopter does not seem to adjust as well as the 3100 I had.
Anyone else get theirs?

Got the replacement. Much better. The info LCD is perfectly clear. The one I sent had a really bad viewfinder or mirror.
Shutter count 1427 according to Irfanview.
Took some pic of flowers in my garden with the stock 18-55 lens. All I can say is WoW!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 PM.