Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Feit Electric 13W (60W replacement) cfl light bulb 4-pack $.99 @ Costco YMMV (I saw/bought at Merrillville, IN store B&M) (http://slickdeals.net/f/6011454-feit-electric-13w-60w-replacement-cfl-light-bulb-4-pack-99-costco-ymmv-i-saw-bought-at-merrillville-in-store-b-m)

Frostillicus 05-06-2013 04:59 PM

Feit Electric 13W (60W replacement) cfl light bulb 4-pack $.99 @ Costco YMMV (I saw/bought at Merrillville, IN store B&M)

Costco has 4-packs of these cfl light bulbs (the twirly kind) that are meant to replace a typical 60w bulb. They are marked $4.99, but there's an instant $4 discount per pack with a limit of 10. So you can get 40 for about $10 + tax.

billcsho 05-06-2013 05:17 PM

This is sponsored by your local utility company. So it is a YMMV. We did have this deal since a couple years ago. Now it went up a buck.

txp135 05-06-2013 05:19 PM

I try to stay away from these just because they contain mercury. But for $.25/each, screw the environment.

soobaerodude 05-06-2013 05:27 PM

If you purchase these Feit bulbs, you will suffer the fate of having to replace them in a year.

iota 05-06-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txp135 (Post 59296426)
I try to stay away from these just because they contain mercury. But for $.25/each, screw the environment.

Incandescent bulbs actually cause more mercury harm to the environment than CFL's do. The burning of coal and other fossil fuels (the likely source of your home power) releases mercury into the atmosphere, and the increased power usage of an incandescent obviously increases the mercury released.

So while the CFL's actually contain a tiny amount of mercury vapor, running an incandescent bulb releases almost 5 times as much (in this case) mercury into the atmosphere as compared to a CFL, which more than makes up for the mercury released when a CFL is destroyed.

Frostillicus 05-06-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soobaerodude (Post 59296588)
If you purchase these Feit bulbs, you will suffer the fate of having to replace them in a year.

If you buy regular 60w bulbs, you'll probably have to replace even sooner, they'll consume more electricity, and you'll probably pay more. I've had mixed results with the off-brand cfl bulbs. Some last for years while others out of the same package last less than 1. At 25 cents, it's not that big of a gamble.

burticus 05-06-2013 05:37 PM

As a guy who bit HARD on CFL some 10 years ago and changed out almost every bulb in the house.... nah. I will not purchase another. So many have failed, and so many buzz so loud... or take a hundred years to get to full light output.... nope. I pray for the day LED gets affordable.

I am dead serious, I am actually changing out dead/buzzy/sucky CFL bulbs and replacing them with the original incandescents I pulled and put in a box like 10 years ago.

Oddly enough, the cheapo bulk ones I got at Home Depot have been much better than the brand name ones I bought individually. F you GE, so many of your $10 bulbs are dead now...

I'm probably just pissed I wasted all that money, make your own decisions.

Edit - oh I have 2 Feit LED bulbs for a couple years now and no issues. $15 a pop though...

Briggs 05-06-2013 05:40 PM

They have this deal with Progress Energy in Raleigh NC too. It has been going on for over a year.

cyborg77 05-09-2013 09:18 AM

Same deal going on in the Atlanta Costco, 4 pack $1.99 after instant rebate by Georgia Power

zergie808 05-09-2013 09:24 AM

Local power here in the bay area is stingy. Been trolling for a good subsidized deal on these bulbs for a while and haven't found it at Costco.