Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Samsung Series 9 15" Premium Ultrabook Core i5-3317U 1.7 GHz 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - $850 W/ FS @ eBay Daily Deal (http://slickdeals.net/e/6020666-samsung-series-9-15-premium-ultrabook-core-i5-3317u-1-7-ghz-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-850-w-fs-ebay-daily-deal)

gabe23111 05-10-2013 09:17 AM

Samsung Series 9 15" Premium Ultrabook Core i5-3317U 1.7 GHz 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - $850 W/ FS @ eBay Daily Deal
 
1 Attachment(s)
Link [ebay.com]
  • Operating System Windows 8 Home Premium (64-bit)
  • Processor Intel Core i5-3317U
  • CPU Clock Speed Max: 1.7 GHz
  • Turbo Boost 2.6 GHz
  • CPU Cache 3 MB
  • Screen Size 15"
  • Type LED HD+
  • Resolution 1600 x 900
  • Brightness 400 nits SuperBright Plus Technology
  • Standard System Memory 8GB
  • Memory Type DDR3 (1600MHz)
  • Hard Drive Capacity 128GB
  • RPM Solid State Drive
  • Graphics Chip Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • External or Integrated Integrated
  • Maximum Graphics Memory Shared
  • Speakers 4W Stereo Speaker (2W x 2)
  • Sound Technology SoundAlive
  • Internal Mic Yes
  • Web Camera 1.3 MP HD
  • Wireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth Bluetooth 4.0
  • WiDi Yes
  • Wired Ethernet LAN Gigabit LAN
  • VGA Mini VGA (Mini VGA to VGA dongle sold separately)
  • HDMI Micro HDMI
  • USB Ports USB 2.0 + 2 x USB 3.0
  • Sleep-n-Charge Yes
  • Headphone Out Yes
  • Microphone In Yes
  • Multi Card Slot 3-in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC)
  • RJ45 (LAN) No (Dongle included)
  • Keyboard 86 Keys
  • Backlit Yes
  • Touch Pad Touch Pad (Scroll Scope, Flat Type, Gesture UI)
  • AC Adapter 40W
  • Number of Cells / Cell Type 8 cell / Li-Po
  • Watt Hours 62 Wh
  • Material Aluminum
  • Dimensions (WxDxH) 14x9.3x0.58" / 35.56x23.62x1.47cm
  • Weight 3.63 lbs / 1.65kg

wikipost 05-10-2013 09:17 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)
 
This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

Ichinichi 05-10-2013 09:34 AM

1100-1200 elsewhere currently. 33% off. should we go for it?

Ichinichi 05-10-2013 09:39 AM

913 here http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP9...B0098O6JSQ

hle078 05-10-2013 09:39 AM

Seems like a good deal, but out of my price range

DjReDDiMiX 05-10-2013 09:45 AM

Just a heads up, Dealfisher has these for $700 a few weeks ago, so maybe the price will drop some more soon? Just a thought.

Ichinichi 05-10-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjReDDiMiX (Post 59373826)
Just a heads up, Dealfisher has these for $700 a few weeks ago, so maybe the price will drop some more soon? Just a thought.

I believe those were the A05US not these A06US

minhquan2106 05-10-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi (Post 59373850)
I believe those were the A05US not these A06US

I believe you are wrong because I bought it :D

Ichinichi 05-10-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minhquan2106 (Post 59373878)
I believe you are wrong because I bought it :D

Then you'd wish it was the A05, which is an i7

holding out for $700. thanks OP!

desiindc 05-10-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minhquan2106 (Post 59373878)
I believe you are wrong because I bought it :D

Do you like it? How is the screen? There are some complaints that the screen on this model has a very small viewing angle and dim.

drymonkey 05-10-2013 09:54 AM

I would wait out on the next gen of this or go with the 13" version. The screen on the 15" is horrible.

trevortypes 05-10-2013 10:02 AM

If you need it now, go for it. If you can hold out for a few months or so, wait for haswell! huge benefits such as faster processor, better graphics, and most importantly to me, approximately double battery life! look into it before you buy!

gat0rjay 05-10-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiindc (Post 59374000)
Do you like it? How is the screen? There are some complaints that the screen on this model has a very small viewing angle and dim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drymonkey (Post 59374032)
I would wait out on the next gen of this or go with the 13" version. The screen on the 15" is horrible.

I have the 900X4D which I believe is essentially the same machine. The screen's viewing angles from above and below are honestly pretty poor. However, once you adjust the tilt of the display for what's comfortable and looks best to you, I doubt you'll have any problems - and it may well be better than whatever you're using now (if it's a laptop). You can also pick up a WiDi adapter to share your screen on the TV for about $30AR [amazon.com]

Also, the screen is absolutely not dim at all. The complete opposite is true. I can easily use this outside in direct sunlight with no issues whatsoever.

I got lambasted when I posted the 900X4D for $790 Like New from Amazon Warehouse (so I'm a bit surprised this one for $850 is getting so many up votes - only differences are 4GB more of RAM, and black instead of silver).

In any case, I bought the 900X4D "Like New" and it arrive NIB, sealed, and clearly never opened. I have had Amazon price match the current price of $763, and will have them match it again if it goes down within 30 days. BTW, mine came with a single 4GB dimm. You could upgrade to another 4GB (8GB total) for $30... So the same machine basically for $50 off if you are willing to buy "Like New"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...ition=used

ibuyslimties 05-10-2013 10:12 AM

typing on series 9 right now, screen is fine, battery life is great, got mine under 700. that is all.

megapper 05-10-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drymonkey (Post 59374032)
I would wait out on the next gen of this or go with the 13" version. The screen on the 15" is horrible.

I second this. check it out in store before buying...seeing the screen in person might change your mind...

drymonkey 05-10-2013 10:20 AM

I had one and returned it...just couldn't deal with the horrible screen. I am not a screen snob by any means, but you definitely would want to invest upfront in a laptop with a good IPS screen. I think this was Samsung's biggest mistake on this model. They gave their 13" the IPS panel but dumbed a shitty screen for this one.

sam55 05-10-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjReDDiMiX (Post 59373826)
Just a heads up, Dealfisher has these for $700 a few weeks ago, so maybe the price will drop some more soon? Just a thought.

it was an Open box or Used. most likley reburbished. also, was it on SD? hard to believe such a price shouldn't hit FP at that time.

justit 05-10-2013 10:37 AM

warm, those high-end ultrabook will drop quickly

Blastingbird 05-10-2013 10:38 AM

Got this same laptop open box at my local bestbuy for under $600. It's wonderful besides the wonky trackpad. It's not awful, just goofy sometimes.

zhopa 05-10-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevortypes (Post 59374220)
If you need it now, go for it. If you can hold out for a few months or so, wait for haswell! huge benefits such as faster processor, better graphics, and most importantly to me, approximately double battery life! look into it before you buy!

If you're waiting for double battery life (with the same capacity battery), you'll be sorely disappointed. Unless Haswell equipped laptops will have a new display technology, you're not going to get anywhere near double battery during typical use.

paulhenta 05-10-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhopa (Post 59375144)
If you're waiting for double battery life (with the same capacity battery), you'll be sorely disappointed. Unless Haswell equipped laptops will have a new display technology, you're not going to get anywhere near double battery during typical use.

Paying more than $600 for a current gen Ultrabook makes no sense, if you want one, wait for those asus deals or lenovo deals. Priced right they are worth it, I love my ux31a which buries this samsung any day.

trevortypes 05-10-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhopa (Post 59375144)
If you're waiting for double battery life (with the same capacity battery), you'll be sorely disappointed. Unless Haswell equipped laptops will have a new display technology, you're not going to get anywhere near double battery during typical use.

everyday normal use is never the same, but intel claims double battery life

https://www.google.com/search?q=h...e&ie=UTF-8

offthetop 05-10-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulhenta (Post 59375244)
Paying more than $600 for a current gen ultrabook makes no sense, if you want one wait for those asus deal or lenovo deals. Proced riht it's worth it, i love my ux31a which buries this samsung any day.

in what way does it bury the samsung?

paulhenta 05-10-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offthetop (Post 59375312)
in what way does it bury the samsung?

Even though, it is not a 15" but a 13" (which works in term of protability beter for me), it is as powerful as this Samsung, lighter, it has subjectively a better design, and the 1080p screen pq is far superior.

offthetop 05-10-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulhenta (Post 59375512)
Even though, it is not a 15" but a 13" (which works in term of protability beter for me), it is as powerful as this Samsung, lighter, it has subjectively a better design, and the 1080p screen pq is far superior.

lol youre an idiot. youre comparing a 13" zenbook to a 15" in saying its lighter. just lol.

treepuppy 05-10-2013 11:06 AM

pretty crappy laptop

gat0rjay 05-10-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevortypes (Post 59375280)
everyday normal use is never the same, but intel claims double battery life

https://www.google.com/search?q=h...e&ie=UTF-8

We'll have to wait and see. 15w vs 17w will obviously show some gains in battery life. But the screen is the #1 power drain. And the cpu architecture isn't going to effect power consumption of the screen; or of the ram, ssd, wifi, bt, or other components. Haswell's biggest claim to battery savings is specifically for the idle process usage. I agree with the other poster that if you believe battery life will go from 7hr to 14hr, or 10hr to 20hr, just because of the CPU change you'll be sorely disappointed. Of course there's no way to tell until sites like techreport and anandtech can run some real world benchmarks on released Haswell systems. Still, I would expect 20-30% at the absolute maximum of battery life gain. And probably not even that much. (Expect 5-10% gains in CPU, but huge gains in IGP).

zoome 05-10-2013 11:15 AM

What I like about this 15 inch model over the 13 is the fact that it can be easily upgraded. 13 inch has all parts soldered in.

You can upgrade this model to 16gb of ram (no real need to) as well as the mSata. I have this particular model and I've put in a 256gb mSata when Newegg had some deals going on for them.

Screen isn't that wonderful comparing it to Asus's Zenbook (1080p 13incher) or even Lenovo's Yoga Ideapad (1600x900 13inch) but I was able to adjust the settings so it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

I absolutely love the battery life on this thing. I get about 7 hours when I charge it to 80% (BIOS setting to "max" at 80%) Dunno if it will actually elongate the life of my battery. But 7 hours is more than enough for me to worry about charging to 100%.

Is it worth the 850 new? I would say yes. Although I would definitely get the Asus Zenbook refurb for 520(?) over this one if it ever did pop up again.

magoomba 05-10-2013 11:16 AM

I would classify this as warm.
Not even sure why they made a 15" version. If people looking for an ultra book they would want a 14" or less.

jaeun87 05-10-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offthetop (Post 59375674)
lol youre an idiot. youre comparing a 13" zenbook to a 15" in saying its lighter. just lol.

Well yeah, 13" is obviously lighter, but his other 2 points make sense, not to mention the UX31A was FP for $250 less.

Trying to nitpick on one of his points rather than acknowledge his other ones. just lol.

gat0rjay 05-10-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoomba (Post 59376008)
I would classify this as warm.
Not even sure why they made a 15" version. If people looking for an ultra book they would want a 14" or less.

Deal is certainly warm at best IMO. But this particular 15" is essentially a 15" screen in a 14" form factor.

For comparison to the MBA 13" -- this Samsung is 0.10" thinner and only 1.20" wider, and 0.36" longer. Pretty good for an extra 2" of screen space...

SubyWRX 05-10-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam55 (Post 59374934)
it was an Open box or Used. most likley reburbished. also, was it on SD? hard to believe such a price shouldn't hit FP at that time.

It was on SD, brand new. It didn't hit FP because it sold out really fast, within an hour that I got an email alert :mad:. I was reading up reviews about the seller, and by the time I was ready to order it was dead. If I had more confidence in the seller I would have bit right away.

Here's the link to that post

lightfoot3b 05-10-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevortypes (Post 59374220)
If you need it now, go for it. If you can hold out for a few months or so, wait for haswell! huge benefits such as faster processor, better graphics, and most importantly to me, approximately double battery life! look into it before you buy!

QFT. Haswell is going to rock some socks.

DjReDDiMiX 05-10-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam55 (Post 59374934)
it was an Open box or Used. most likley reburbished. also, was it on SD? hard to believe such a price shouldn't hit FP at that time.

As stated, brand new in retail packaging. Sold out in like 30 mins though.

vip00 05-10-2013 01:55 PM

Ah the old "wait for Haswell" commentary. Based on the latest rumors (aggregated here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/comp...rocessors/) ultrabook-class processors are going to move from 17W to 15W TDP, so 1 component of your computer will have about 15% less energy consumption... I would expect that's about 5% of total power draw. As far as performance, looks to be about 10% CPU improvement as well as 20-30% GPU

So to recap, 5% better battery life, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20% overall performance. And these are going to be full-price for a good 4-6 months before going on decent sales.

shifty_ 05-10-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 59381046)
Ah the old "wait for Haswell" commentary. Based on the latest rumors (aggregated here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/comp...rocessors/) ultrabook-class processors are going to move from 17W to 15W TDP, so 1 component of your computer will have about 15% less energy consumption... I would expect that's about 5% of total power draw. As far as performance, looks to be about 10% CPU improvement as well as 20-30% GPU

So to recap, 5% better battery life, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20% overall performance. And these are going to be full-price for a good 4-6 months before going on decent sales.


You're missing the finer point of all this: The sale prices of all these ivy-bridged laptops and ultrabooks will be even lower. That's what I am waiting for.

vip00 05-10-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty_ (Post 59381696)
You're missing the finer point of all this: The sale prices of all these ivy-bridged laptops and ultrabooks will be even lower. That's what I am waiting for.

I'm not sure about that... most stores appear to be clearing out inventory of these ivy models now based on the sales we've seen recently. I doubt there will be much stock to be had once Haswell is delivered. There will be some obviously - but I'm not sure it'll be worth waiting for.

yarnim 05-10-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty_ (Post 59381696)
You're missing the finer point of all this: The sale prices of all these ivy-bridged laptops and ultrabooks will be even lower. That's what I am waiting for.

keep waiting till there aint crap left. its not as simple as newer tech being released and old tech being clearanced out at a bargain till there aint nothing left. theres always demand for older products at certain level of prices, especially when the difference to some people could be pretty much negligible. it seems to me that you don't know what happened to the first gen core i-series when sandy bridge came out.

the first gen core i-series prices remained higher than the new sandy bridge chips until at one point they got all sold or simply returned back to manufacturer or who knows what happened.

paulhenta 05-10-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 59382936)
keep waiting till there aint crap left. its not as simple as newer tech being released and old tech being clearanced out at a bargain till there aint nothing left. theres always demand for older products at certain level of prices, especially when the difference to some people could be pretty much negligible. it seems to me that you don't know what happened to the first gen core i-series when sandy bridge came out.

the first gen core i-series prices remained higher than the new sandy bridge chips until at one point they got all sold or simply returned back to manufacturer or who knows what happened.

+1, as the few past years have proven and as the release cycles are very predictable, tech builders became pretty savvy. Usually as soon as you see a flow of "refurbished items" or "used" pumped into the market regularly going lower and lower a few months before a new version is going out, you can safely buy, yo might find it a few $ cheaper but rarely way cheaper. today for an ultrabook, the tendency is between $400 (low end) and $700 (high end) for a current generation

Apple as usual might be a rare exception and tend to less lower their old product prices but still do on a longer period of time.

yarnim 05-10-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulhenta (Post 59383200)
+1, as the few past years have proven and as the release cycles are very predictable, tech builders became pretty savvy. Usually as soon as you see a flow of "refurbished items" or "used" pumped into the market regularly going lower and lower a few months before a new version is going out, you can safely buy, yo might find it a few $ cheaper but rarely way cheaper. today for an ultrabook, the tendency is between $400 (low end) and $700 (high end) for a current generation

Apple as usual might be a rare exception and tend to less lower their old product prices but still do on a longer period of time.

yes, both the cycle, and prices are fairly predictable. it aint hard to see that, but for some people they obviously have no idea.

icewatersoda 05-10-2013 03:39 PM

how long does the ebay listing usually last for andorma

techreviewshop 05-10-2013 03:48 PM

These are EOL soon, they're re-branding all the Series laptops to ATIV

desiindc 05-12-2013 09:47 AM

Adorama is selling the 13" model NP900X3C-A05 for $899 both on ebay [ebay.com]and the website [adorama.com].


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM.