Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   ebay daily deal: Asus Zenbook UX31A 13.3" Ultrabook with Intel Core i5-3317U Manufacturer refurbished - $549.99 + free shipping (http://slickdeals.net/e/6037920-ebay-daily-deal-asus-zenbook-ux31a-13-3-ultrabook-with-intel-core-i5-3317u-manufacturer-refurbished-549-99-free-shipping)

purificada 05-19-2013 08:12 AM

ebay daily deal: Asus Zenbook UX31A 13.3" Ultrabook with Intel Core i5-3317U Manufacturer refurbished - $549.99 + free shipping

1 Attachment(s)
ebay deal of the day

LINK [ebay.com]

Intel Core i5-3317U Processor
13.3" HD Screen
4GB RAM
128GB SSD
Backlit Keyboard
Intel HD 4000 Graphics
Bang & Olufsen's Audio
ASUS 90-Day Warranty

Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
CPU Type:Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz
Screen13.3"
Memory Size:4GB
Hard Disk:128GB SSD
Graphics Card:Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video Memory:Shared memory
Communication:LAN and WLAN
Weight:2.9 lbs.
CPU Type
Intel Core i5
CPU Speed
3317U(1.70GHz)
CPU Support
3MB L3 Cache
Max Turbo Frequency 2.6 GHz
Display
Screen Size
13.3 in HD+ LED-backlit (1600 x 900)
Wide Screen Support
Yes
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Graphics
GPU/VPU
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Video Memory
Shared system memory
Graphic Type
Integrated Card
Hard Drive
HDD
128GB SSD
Memory
4GB
Communications:
LAN
10/100Mbps
WLAN
802.11a/g/n Wireless LAN
Supplemental Drive
Webcam:Yes
Style:Ultrabook
Power:Battery6-cell lithium ion

DjReDDiMiX 05-19-2013 08:21 AM

Just a heads up, this is not the model with the 1080p IPS FHD display.

fullipper 05-19-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjReDDiMiX (Post 59547294)
Just a heads up, this is not the model with the 1080p IPS FHD display.

Do you know if it is at least ips at the lower resolution?

DjReDDiMiX 05-19-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullipper (Post 59547362)
Do you know if it at least ips at the lower resolution?

I do not think it it. I believe it is a TN display.

Source: AnandTech [anandtech.com]

purificada 05-19-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullipper (Post 59547362)
Do you know if it is at least ips at the lower resolution?

my friend got one of these, the look and feel was very nice and macbook air like. i think i remember the screen being matte, not sure if it was ips. overall pretty quick with the ssd and i5 and all...

fullipper 05-19-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjReDDiMiX (Post 59547408)
I do not think it it. I believe it is a TN display.

Source: AnandTech [anandtech.com]

Thanks. I have the FHD ips model and paid about 900 almost a year ago. I love it and would consider this for wife if it were ips.

AkumaX 05-19-2013 09:20 AM

Any wifi/touchpad issues with this one?

staticoverdub 05-19-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkumaX (Post 59548024)
Any wifi/touchpad issues with this one?

I believe those have all been ironed out. Biggest issue I've noticed is a disconnecting keyboard ribbon, which takes about 10 mins and a torx 5 screwdriver to fix. They apparently decided to use the worst tape ever to hold these ribbons in, and I'm almost positive that a ton of these refurbs were just that.

I've been using my IPS model for about 3 months since the $600 groupon deal and it's been extremely solid. No regrets.

Personally, I prefer the IPS though some may not like it for whatever reason.

sleepybubba 05-19-2013 09:38 AM

ASUS makes a good products until they break (accidentally or otherwise). They warranty is a joke (you have to pay to ship your item to them no matter what), then sometimes they will want you to prepay the return shipping as well. Their technical support is a joke and there is a chance your laptop will be returned to you ruined, scratched and less functional that you shipped to them. That goes about their regular 1-year warranty. Never mind 90-day.

ejimmyjj 05-19-2013 09:38 AM

I'd be careful about ASUS refurbs. This year I have ordered two refurbishhed noteboooks from ASUS, a K51 and the UX31A (1080p).

Both have had issues and more cosmetic defects compared to other refurbished items I have purchased.

The UX31A would not lie flat, heat up, and the keyboard backlight was not functioning. Could have been a loose connector, though I don't think I could solve a warped chassis alone...

trangmichael 05-19-2013 09:52 AM

i ordered 3 of the groupon ones a few months back. all of them looked great and worked great, but my wife is just now telling me that the one she was using has a funky right-click button. feels like nothing is behind it or a spring is missing or something. it works, but feels like you are doing something wrong when pressed. about to see about this 90 day warranty about 75 days in hehe

ejimmyjj 05-19-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trangmichael (Post 59548514)
i ordered 3 of the groupon ones a few months back. all of them looked great and worked great, but my wife is just now telling me that the one she was using has a funky right-click button. feels like nothing is behind it or a spring is missing or something. it works, but feels like you are doing something wrong when pressed. about to see about this 90 day warranty about 75 days in hehe

My K51 was missing the rubber feet, screws, and half the keyboard keys were as you described :lol:

Maybe I'm unlucky, or perhaps I am too picky? All of my ASUS products have flaws..

Anyone else have a UX31A with a loud mouse press? Sent my device for repair but did not know if this was an issue or not.

phillosis 05-19-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepybubba (Post 59548284)
ASUS makes a good products until they break (accidentally or otherwise). They warranty is a joke (you have to pay to ship your item to them no matter what), then sometimes they will want you to prepay the return shipping as well. Their technical support is a joke and there is a chance your laptop will be returned to you ruined, scratched and less functional that you shipped to them. That goes about their regular 1-year warranty. Never mind 90-day.

That's funny. I sent in my Asus for repair last month and it was free shipping both ways. Granted, they didn't repair the thing.

oldbean 05-19-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

actually, i had the opposite experience with asus , I had a skype phone that was NOT in warranty. I sent it in for a repair estimate because my visa card was going to pay the repair costs (it was out of manuf. warranty, but still ok for extended warranty)... so anyway long story short, i sent it in saying please send me a written estimate and I will pay it. Guess what they did instead. Sent me a brand new (well ok it was refurbished) skype phone. I didn't have to pay shipping back to me (just to them). So maybe it depends on product.

ejimmyjj 05-19-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillosis (Post 59549148)
That's funny. I sent in my Asus for repair last month and it was free shipping both ways. Granted, they didn't repair the thing.

I hope this isn't the same case with me, it took a week just to get it there. It will probably take another 2 weeks to have it back to my door, which is ridiculous..

Would hate to wait another 3 weeks..

EDIT: I have your avatar as my wallpaper lol

warmwxrules 05-19-2013 11:02 AM

i have the 1080p model...refurb...mine came missing a screw, but other then that, it looked perfect... these things are so light, and thin...1080p screen is gorgeous...especially if you have 1080p content, like off my digital camera...at 60 frames per second, its crazy nice.

Couple issues...i can't type of these things very well...always have the cursor jump around..i think its the huge trackpad that does it (my hand brushes it?)... The trackpad/buttons are decent..no issues...wifi works fine... the sd card hangs out the side..not a big issue. my hinges creak a little when opening/closng... the sound is great...

this is a good price..not great..i paid less for the 1080p...

Squilly 05-19-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepybubba (Post 59548284)

True and false. My brother's laptop is an Asus, had a charging issue. Sent it back THREE times already (luckily they paid for the shipping label) but keep replacing the wrong parts... so annoying

staticoverdub 05-19-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmwxrules (Post 59549402)
i have the 1080p model...refurb...mine came missing a screw, but other then that, it looked perfect... these things are so light, and thin...1080p screen is gorgeous...especially if you have 1080p content, like off my digital camera...at 60 frames per second, its crazy nice.

Couple issues...i can't type of these things very well...always have the cursor jump around..i think its the huge trackpad that does it (my hand brushes it?)... The trackpad/buttons are decent..no issues...wifi works fine... the sd card hangs out the side..not a big issue. my hinges creak a little when opening/closng... the sound is great...

this is a good price..not great..i paid less for the 1080p...

In the trackpad options you should maximize the "palm touch protection" circle, or whatever it is. Should fix this issue.

yugioh2 05-19-2013 11:23 AM

This is odd.
When I was doing research for UX31A (aka Zenbook Prime) a few months ago, I don't recall coming across one with a 900x1600 non-IPS screen. The previous gen (UX31E) is the one with the non-IPS 900x1600 screen. I spent about 8-10 hours researching and it came down to this one or Samsung Series 9 ultrabook, went with this one for the price and the FHD IPS screen for $650 from Amazon Warehouse. Fantastic non-touchscreen ultrabook for the price

trangmichael 05-19-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejimmyjj (Post 59548646)
My K51 was missing the rubber feet, screws, and half the keyboard keys were as you described :lol:

Maybe I'm unlucky, or perhaps I am too picky? All of my ASUS products have flaws..

Anyone else have a UX31A with a loud mouse press? Sent my device for repair but did not know if this was an issue or not.

after playing with it again it isn't worth sending in as the other two were actually flawless. besides, this will be a gift for family overseas where taxes make laptops like this extremely expensive so they wont care at all about this.

ejimmyjj 05-19-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trangmichael (Post 59550118)
after playing with it again it isn't worth sending in as the other two were actually flawless. besides, this will be a gift for family overseas where taxes make laptops like this extremely expensive so they wont care at all about this.

True, depending where you're family is overseas should not make too much of a difference.

1 $300 Laptop In US = 500 JOD ~$705 In Jordan

zozozozo 05-19-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticoverdub (Post 59549508)
In the trackpad options you should maximize the "palm touch protection" circle, or whatever it is. Should fix this issue.

Yup, definitely give Palm Tracking a shot. This plus Smart Detector helps. If the options aren't visible in the settings, try this regedt trick to unlock all the trackpad options:
http://alonsrants.blogspot.com/20...-hack.html

Definitely solved all my trackpad issues for sure. Why they aren't all there by default puzzles me.

warmwxrules 05-19-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticoverdub (Post 59549508)

Thanks...i'll do that. It drives me nuts sometimes...i know my old Dell also had an issue similar and i fixed it changing some setting...

These laptops are the best in my opinion...they seem so well built. Asus does know how to engineer quaility products...

yarnim 05-19-2013 01:22 PM

Asus = HORRIBAD crap QC period.

im glad more and more people seem to realize that now.

veronicadeals 05-19-2013 03:15 PM

i would consider this. but prefer new one with good deal and lower price :)

Michael60716 05-19-2013 05:50 PM

ayone know if it has the U300 Sandisk SSD or the SANDFORCE ADATA SSD? the performance between the two are very different

zhopa 05-19-2013 05:51 PM

No 4k display.
No SLI graphics.
No Apple logo.

Pass. :( :eek: :lmao:

staticoverdub 05-19-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael60716 (Post 59554434)
ayone know if it has the U300 Sandisk SSD or the SANDFORCE ADATA SSD? the performance between the two are very different

This was mostly due to a software issue that has since been addressed.

baphomet58 05-20-2013 04:30 AM

these laptops deals never seem to mention the RESOLUTION in the title. we aren't STUPID.

amc442 05-20-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baphomet58 (Post 59559588)
these laptops deals never seem to mention the RESOLUTION in the title. we aren't STUPID.

that's why searching and deal alerts work on first post as well as thread title.

xninjagrrl 05-20-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 59550836)
Asus = HORRIBAD crap QC period.

im glad more and more people seem to realize that now.

It's not just Asus. It's all of them. HP makes garbage that overheats, Dell tried to sell me a 'new' $1500 Alienware that looked like someone's dog chewed on it, Lenovo has THE WORST QC ever, Asus cant hold a candle. I went through 4 Lenovo's before I finally got one that arrived new and not with tons of cosmetic/hardware issues. I honestly dont know where to look for a quality laptop anymore. And I hate Apple products (O/S) with a passion so there goes that. That being said, I wouldnt touch a refurb'd laptop to save my life based on horrid experiences with refurb'd products in the past. Guess you gotta be a lucky individual for it to pan out.

ejimmyjj 05-20-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xninjagrrl (Post 59560842)
It's not just Asus. It's all of them. HP makes garbage that overheats, Dell tried to sell me a 'new' $1500 Alienware that looked like someone's dog chewed on it, Lenovo has THE WORST QC ever, Asus cant hold a candle. I went through 4 Lenovo's before I finally got one that arrived new and not with tons of cosmetic/hardware issues. I honestly dont know where to look for a quality laptop anymore. And I hate Apple products (O/S) with a passion so there goes that. That being said, I wouldnt touch a refurb'd laptop to save my life based on horrid experiences with refurb'd products in the past. Guess you gotta be a lucky individual for it to pan out.

My Gigabyte P2532N was perfect for what it was, I wish I didn't sell it for the UX31A :vomit:

I don't think I've ever had a bad Gigabyte product..

I got my 1080p UX31A for $540, $10 more with an inferior panel :P

Buckeyefan 1 05-20-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejimmyjj (Post 59561018)
My Gigabyte P2532N was perfect for what it was, I wish I didn't sell it for the UX31A :vomit:

I don't think I've ever had a bad Gigabyte product..

I got my 1080p UX31A for $540, $10 more with an inferior panel :P

Inferior, eh? :)

Tnyc 05-20-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xninjagrrl (Post 59560842)

ive had good luck with Dell refurbished laptops before. I've ordered 3 from them and only one has an issue with the backlit keyboard. I sent it into Dell and for back in about a week and it was fixed. Free shipping both ways. The thing is you have to call Dell and complain within the first few days of the return period when you still have leverage because Dell doesn't want to take any return let alone a refurbished one.