Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Private Internet Access: 20% off VPN Service: $32/year or $5.50 per month (http://slickdeals.net/f/6067642-private-internet-access-20-off-vpn-service-32-year-or-5-50-per-month)

brisar 06-03-2013 11:27 AM

Private Internet Access: 20% off VPN Service: $32/year or $5.50 per month

1 Attachment(s)
In case you missed this very popular Front Page Deal, it is back

Private Internet Access

20% off their VPN Service

LINK to the Offer. [privateinternetaccess.com]
  • $5.45/month for month to month plan
  • $31.95 for 1-year plan ($2.66/month)

yuugotserved 06-03-2013 11:27 AM

Private Internet Access: 20% off VPN Service: $32/year or $5.50 per month

1 Attachment(s)
Private Internet Access is offering 20% off their VPN Service. Thanks brisar

Note, refer to the forum threads (here or here) for additional information
  • $5.45/month for month to month plan
  • $31.95 for 1-year plan ($2.66/month)

wikipost 06-03-2013 11:27 AM

Private Internet Access VPN Service Wiki Information

Private Internet Access is committed to privacy, does not log and uses shared IPs. The US is one of the only countries without a mandatory data logging requirement:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel...ted_States

Private Internet Access was rated 4.5 out of 5 Stars by PC Magazine and is PC Magazine's Editor's Choice VPN service provider.

The speeds and reliability and support is good for the money.
But they are registered in the USA so this ‘we don’t log or share things’ talk is hogwash. Any VPN provider in the USA has an obligation to work with the authorities (the Patriot Act and/or NSA PRISM) so this is as anonymous as HMA (non-existent).

Private Internet Access response to PRISM: https://www.privateinternetaccess.../06/prism/

Why you need a VPN
http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why...your-needs

Speed Tests
https://www.privateinternetaccess...es/network
351+ Servers in 9+ Countries

Reviews
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2...799,00.asp

More Info on various services available (2013 edition)
http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-servi...on-130302/

5 Simultaneous Logins per Account
SOCKS5 Proxy Included
OpenVPN / L2TP / PPTP

Android App
https://play.google.com/store/app...ss.android

Heads up: Doesn't work in mainland China, so save your time and money if you plan to use it there.

You may also like to try a free alternative....

http://slickdeals.net/f/5942160-Free-VPN-as-part-of-project-by-University-of-Tsukuba-Japan

HotSpot Shield (American VPN, Powered By Ads) (Adblock Plus Extension kills off these ads in Firefox & Chrome.

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

Here are some alternative VPN services that have large selection of servers (worldwide)proxy.sh is $5 month

Setting up BT software Vuze (used to be call Azureus) to only use VPN connection (won't connect if VPN connection not available.)
Here is a tutorial of it.
http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Tutoria...hrough_VPN
Here's a tutorial for utorrent: http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Tutoria...IP_binding
(Remember to un-check make new firewall rule in utorrent settings/prefs)

Enter the interface identifier into the field next to "Bind to local IP address or interface" in the settings.
Note that the interface identifier is named different on every system, so make sure to check how exactly it is called on yours.
In their example, it is "eth15" for OpenVPN, "net2" for PPTP" and "net1" for L2TP.

Make sure the checkbox next to "Enforce IP bindings even when interfaces are not available" is checked;
otherwise it can happen that Vuze keeps downloading without using the VPN.

If the Vuze setup is done correctly, it will ONLY use your VPN connection. If you didn't login to your VPN service, Vuze won't work.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those of use still trying to pay with Anonymous Bitcoins... or as Anonymous as possible... There is a good recent link that Zabeer123 shared with us in the thread... This is a step-by-step guide to creating an anonymous wallet for what ever reason... There is also an option to pay with a one time gift card....

Two Mostly Somewhat anonymous Payment Options

** ALWAYS PAY CASH FOR EITHER OPTION / DO NOT USE SAVINGS CARDS IF BUYING @ A GROCERY STORE/CVS/WALGREEN's or Other / DO NOT ASK A BUSINESS HOW LONG THEY SAVE THEIR SECURITY FOOTAGE OR U'LL FLAG U'RSELF **

1st - BitCoins -
A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating an Anonymous Wallet for Covert Practices [reddit.com]

Key quote/point of tutorial below (U'll still be on camera where ever u end up doing the exchange) Read & Read & Read the tutorial until u know what u are doing...
Quote:

Another great idea is to use the localbitcoins website; meet with a seller locally; pay cash and GTFO.
U can also take a chance & use a local BitCoin business found on Craigslist... Just make sure they have a physical business location... Like a cellphone store or something else.... U will be on camera at said location but it should lower the chance of getting ripped-off... And after 30-90 days or even less... Said business would probably overwrite u'r mug off their security system... Always change u'r BitCoin Wallets address for each transaction to avoid linkage...

PROS

- As anonymous as u can theoretical get
- Once you learn how to do it, U can replicate it for next time
- Should cost about 3%-7% above MT.Gox average price which should be less then $4.95 per transaction on smaller amounts of $75...

CONS

- U still have to meet some one in public or at their business.
- U'll still be on camera at Star-bucks or at a business
- U are trusting a stranger
- It cost money to wash u'r BitCoins
- Value of BitCoins can fluctuate
- Never use u'r homes Wifi to purchase or clean BitCoins. U'll have to drive to a Library or Starbucks...

2nd - Credit Card Gift Cards -
You can also pay with a CC Gift Card... They are available from different companies from different retailers... Get one that is not re-loadable but that you can add an exact amount at purchase time... Most run about $4.95 per GC... That way u pay the amount needed + $4.95... Call ahead to make sure the GC u are looking for is available where u plan to purchase... Choose a location where u don't normally go to... Wear a hat/cap & shades... Make sure u grab the right GC & that u add the right amount... Once activated/purchaed u probably can't change the balance... Go to an out of place retailer & not to a mall... Gas station stores are probably u'r best bet... Most of this info is part of different Blog posts old & more recent that when combine can give u the best option in u'r area & case... I've included links to said Blog posts... I included a hint to the best CC Gift Card... Said CC Gift Card will either not require any online registration or the only info they will request is a random ZipCode u will need to remember... Always use Tor & TorEmail when dealing with registration of u'r choice of CC Gift Card's... If possible use a public Wifi when doing said registration... Always use bogus info when registering said CC GC.... Also always write down the info u use for said registrations... Never use u'r CC GC at more then one service or purchase... But if u do... Only pay for the same service... NEVER use the CC GC on different services or u'll create linkage... CC GC do come with FEE's for u'r balance... Usually said fees don't start until 7 months or longer... So depending on how much $$ u add to u'r card & how long u plan to hold said CC GC... Be aware of how much extra it will cost u.... U will find the best option for u by reading all the links below...

Related Links:

How to Buy Things Anonymously Using A Credit Card [greycoder.com]

Vanilla Visa Retailers [vanillavisa.com]

How To Use Prepaid Debit Cards for Anonymous, Cash-like Digital Transactions [itstactical.com]

Anonymous Credit/Debit Cards [theprivacyguy.com]

Privacy Through Prepaid Credit Cards [snarfed.org]

PROS

- Theoretical a lot more anonymous then u'r Paypal, Visa, MasterCard... etc...
- Much easier to purchase then BitCoins...
- Easy to purchase if you do u'r homework...
- U can "cook" your card by waiting 30-90 days before using it to make sure the video footage of u buying has been written over...
- If u choose the right GC... It will probably be ready to go within 24 hours of purchase or the only info u will need to register online will be a random ZipCode... Don't forget what random Zipcode used...
- $5 per GC for possible anonymity

CONS

- Theoretical not as anonymous as BitCoins...
- Say Cheese... U'r on camera for as long as the retail location keeps their security video
- The bigger retailer u go to the longer u will be on camera purchasing the GC...
- GC's can incrue fees after a certain amount of months... 7 months, 12 months... Read the back of the GC before buying it...
- U might have to register the GC with bogus info online(Most non-refillable cards can be registered with bogus info... Write down what u use).... Use Tor & TorEmail for anything related to the GC & if possible don't do it at home...
- Re-using the GC negates any anonymity, So get as close to the amount u need... In this case $32...
- Using a GC for something that needs actually shipping to any address negates any anonymity too...
- $5 per GC for possible anonymity...

READ, READ, & READ & then READ some more... I think both of this payment options are worth the hassle to add a layer or two of anonymity when purchasing a VPN or other online service...

Thanks to all the Slick Dealer's that help us combine this info....

Bonus Links:

The Best VPN Of 2013 [greycoder.com]

The Best VPN For P2P In 2013 [greycoder.com]

How To Be Anonymous On The Internet [greycoder.com]

How to Avoid NSA Surveillance [greycoder.com]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

namlook 06-03-2013 11:34 AM

My experience: I signed up last time. I have a 25 Mbit connection and get about a 50% decrease in speed using PIA at the server location closest to me (same state) on a windows home server. If I go further away speed decreases the further away I go and no locations outside of my state are worth using for me because the speed decrease is greater than 50%. For me speed is also very,very slow and unusable at any server locations outside of the US. I tried using all of the connection options, OpenVPN, PPTP and the PIA client, all with the same results. Makes me wonder if something is not configured correctly on my end or if the servers are just overloaded.

jbloggs 06-03-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namlook (Post 59842794)
My experience: I signed up last time. I have a 25 Mbit connection and get about a 50% decrease in speed using PIA at the server location closest to me (same state) on a windows home server. If I go further away speed decreases the further away I go and no locations outside of my state are worth using for me because the speed decrease is just too great.. For me speed is also very,very slow and unusable at any server locations outside of the US. I tried using all of the connection options, OpenVPN, PPTP and the PIA client with the same results. Makes me wonder if something is not configured correctly on my end or if the servers are just overloaded.

The following was posted in the previous thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomatic (Post 58732344)
This was a good deal. While the domestic servers are a bit slow for me, I can max out my connection using several of the overseas servers. Go figure.

namlook 06-03-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloggs (Post 59842986)
The following was posted in the previous thread....

Maybe that person getting good speeds overseas is on the east coast? I'm on the west coast and get 1 to 5mbit on the overseas servers.

Raritan84 06-03-2013 11:48 AM

How does this compare with some of the other VPN services such as TorGuard and hotspot shield?

moesasin 06-03-2013 12:24 PM

maxes my 15mbs home internet and T-mobile 4G most of the time. I alternate between the midwest server or east. The android app is rock solid with features to connect on boot. Check the available servers and bandwidth here: https://www.privateinternetaccess...s/network/

coachclass 06-03-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

My experience: I signed up last time. I have a 25 Mbit connection and get about a 50% decrease in speed using PIA at the server location closest to me (same state) ...

I'm in the midwest. I get slightly lower speeds connecting to the Chicago server (from 20Mbps to maybe 16-18Mbps). Overseas becomes much slower (10Mb). But I also don't have any reference measurements. It could be that overseas connections are all that slow, and it's not PIA's fault. I wonder if there's a way to make bittorent favor EU torrent seeds if you're using an EU VPN.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the service.

Also want to mention that when on VPN, I get confusing bandwidth readings. The overall rate could be 18Mb/s using a windows bandwidth monitor tool, but the actual data download rate is at something like 9Mb/s. This is even taking into account some overhead for data transfer. When not on VPN, this discrepancy doesn't exist. Others have mentioned how their upload speeds seem to increase when on VPN - this is probably because they're looking at the overall upload for the machine. VPN seems to add apparent data to the bandwidth monitors. If you actually timed how long it takes to upload X amount of data, it's about the same.

getdealsonline 06-03-2013 12:31 PM

so how does this impact the Klipsh Wireless speakers access to the wi-fi .. would they have to be reset of some sorts??

TheBeeman 06-03-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdealsonline (Post 59844482)
so how does this impact the Klipsh Wireless speakers access to the wi-fi .. would they have to be reset of some sorts??

Unless your wireless speakers are accessing the internet for some bizarre reason, this won't impact them at all.

getdealsonline 06-03-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBeeman (Post 59844728)
Unless your wireless speakers are accessing the internet for some bizarre reason, this won't impact them at all.

okay cool! and so we can have couple of laptops, smart TVs ... all route thru the VPN or is there some limit to how many devices

my understanding is that my entire network will come under VPN and then however many devices work on internet they route thru VPN ... am I missing something?

MozartA 06-03-2013 12:43 PM

I assume the yearly deal is not lifetime deal?

GioD 06-03-2013 12:44 PM

Is anyone aware of a trial period or a time in which we could cancel the contract? I'd be interested contingent on not losing too much performance. I'm squarely in the 99th percentile of USA domestic internet speeds and that's not something i'm ready to lose.

illuminati 06-03-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 59844816)

Yes it is. Yearly means lifetime in Internet terms. Buy buy buy.

vibhud 06-03-2013 12:47 PM

Do they auto-renew after a year?

busybargainmom 06-03-2013 12:49 PM

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to these things, so any help would be appreciated. (And I did follow the link to the website but still can't figure it out). Is this internet service? I currently have Clear internet service but they suck (and cost $35 a month) so this would be a great deal if it would replace our internet service even if the speed isn't that great because what we have really sucks. TIA for any help!

hurrpancakes 06-03-2013 12:51 PM

I've been using PIA to tether my phone without my carrier getting their panties in a bunch for the past few months. Speeds are probably capped by my phones connection rather than by PIA servers, but I've had no issues PIA at all.

pur 06-03-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busybargainmom (Post 59844958)
I am absolutely clueless when it comes to these things, so any help would be appreciated. (And I did follow the link to the website but still can't figure it out). Is this internet service? I currently have Clear internet service but they suck (and cost $35 a month) so this would be a great deal if it would replace our internet service even if the speed isn't that great because what we have really sucks. TIA for any help!

This adds privacy to your internet access (internet access not included)

Snoopy2gos 06-03-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busybargainmom (Post 59844958)

Hi, This isn't an internet service, this is access to a VPN [wikipedia.org]

Some people use it for torrenting illegal files, others use them to bypass location restrictions on certain web applications (NetFlix, Hulu, MLB.Tv) and some people in countries who have web restrictions will use VPNs to read websites that have been blocked by ISP's.

dr4gon 06-03-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurrpancakes (Post 59845026)
I've been using PIA to tether my phone without my carrier getting their panties in a bunch for the past few months. Speeds are probably capped by my phones connection rather than by PIA servers, but I've had no issues PIA at all.

Out of curiosity, what carrier are you on?

fbueller 06-03-2013 12:55 PM

I get about a 10% hit on speed, nothing big. Lots of servers, great support, port rerouting, kill switch, easy to use app on all desktop and mobile platforms. HIGHLY recommended.

Y314K 06-03-2013 12:55 PM

interesting... Can the folks that have tried both PIA & TorGuard please compare the 2...

TorGuard said that PIA still logs IP's in hash form... But TorGuard still links both user passwords (service & billing) together... They just do it differently then PIA... They create a wall but there is still a link... So the wall is meaningless... Logging & linking sucks... So boos for both of them...

TorGuard allows 5 connections & PIA only allows 3.. So TorGuard wins that one..

PIA let's u run speed tests without subbing... TorGuard only let's u buy 1 day trials... As best as I can tell... Things are hit and miss... But PIA wins it for letting u kick the tiers from the outside...

I think Torguard has the higher encryption type.. But PIA might have a better or quicker help department....

Still researching... Why can't both of this services offer a mail in yearly service pay option... Where we can send payment to an address with only an email address that we would use as the way to link the payment to a new/current account... Making it as anonymous as possible... And if they rip us off if we pay with cash.. We can tore them a new one online as a way to make sure they don't rip cash sub's off...

:confused:

green_key 06-03-2013 12:58 PM

is this for one connection only?

privateinternet 06-03-2013 01:05 PM

Dear Slickdealers,

Thank you for the questions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 59844816)

This deal is lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59845164)
interesting... Can the folks that have tried both PIA & TorGuard please compare the 2...

TorGuard said that PIA still logs IP's in hash form... But TorGuard still links both user passwords (service & billing) together... They just do it differently then PIA... They create a wall but there is still a link... So the wall is meaningless... Logging & linking sucks... So boos for both of them...

TorGuard allows 5 connections & PIA only allows 3.. So TorGuard wins that one..

PIA let's u run speed tests without subbing... TorGuard only let's u buy 1 day trials... As best as I can tell... Things are hit and miss... But PIA wins it for letting u kick the tiers from the outside...

I think Torguard has the higher encryption type.. But PIA might have a better or quicker help department....

Still researching... Why can't both of this services offer a mail in yearly service pay option... Where we can send payment to an address with only an email address that we would use as the way to link the payment to a new/current account... Making it as anonymous as possible... And if they rip us off if we pay with cash.. We can tore them a new one online as a way to make sure they don't rip cash sub's off...

:confused:

We do not log, period. Where did TorGuard make this false claim?

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_key (Post 59845218)

You can connect up to 3 times per account simultaneously with an unlimited number of devices (but only 3 at any given moment).

Hope this helps, and please feel free to keep the questions coming!

fbueller 06-03-2013 01:06 PM

3 simultaneous connections. Only one needed if you pop it into a DD-WRT router.

TheBeeman 06-03-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdealsonline (Post 59844796)
okay cool! and so we can have couple of laptops, smart TVs ... all route thru the VPN or is there some limit to how many devices

my understanding is that my entire network will come under VPN and then however many devices work on internet they route thru VPN ... am I missing something?

I don't think this is what you think that it is.
You might be able to setup your router to route all traffic through a VPN but most people just use a VPN for privacy reasons.

Stunner2xx 06-03-2013 01:08 PM

you get 3

Quote:

connect 3 devices.

NOTE: if you put it on your router, everything on the router will use the VPN and that only counts as 1 connection, which leaves you 2 more to use.

fbueller 06-03-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateinternet (Post 59845388)
Dear Slickdealers,

This deal is lifetime.

So just to clarify - If I signed up during the last $32 deal, it will autorenew in a year for $32 instead of the full price? Thanks, PIA...

firebirdx01 06-03-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy2gos (Post 59845088)

Some people use it for torrenting illegal files, others use them to bypass location restrictions on certain web applications (NetFlix, Hulu, MLB.Tv) and some people in countries who have web restrictions will use VPNs to read websites that have been blocked by ISP's.

It's also helpful for public wifi spots- if you want to say sign on to your bank account and its unsecure- you need a VPN to prevent malicious users from intercepting your unsecured traffic (which can contain your password). So it has legitimate uses in preventing identity theft- and anyone who has been a victim of that- knows its no joke. The only catch is that -you have to trust the VPN as they route all your traffic.

green_key 06-03-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,
You can connect up to 3 times per account simultaneously with an unlimited number of devices (but only 3 at any given moment).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunner2xx (Post 59845480)
connect 3 devices.

NOTE: if you put it on your router, everything on the router will use the VPN and that only counts as 1 connection, which leaves you 2 more to use.

rep+4 for both.
To privateinternet,
Can I insall on my android smartphone and then use as hotspot to all 8 other devices? So in this case, I only use one vpn connect??

Dschinghis_Khan 06-03-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

I personally haven't seen TorGuard make that claim specifically, but there are plenty of Reddit users that think you do log though for some reason (something about the US requiring it?..)

The claim never made sense to me considering you're always toward the top on TorrentFreaks preferred VPNs.

chong67 06-03-2013 01:20 PM

I sign up 2 days ago. Dam*! Do you know if I can get some of this money back?

I always use server in Romania. Cause its far away from anybody I know.

ALERT. I have to turn on my DNS Leak Protection. Go to dnsleaktest to check and if you ISP show up, then you need to turn on DNS Leak Protection.

Y314K 06-03-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,

This deal is lifetime.

LifeTime makes this a SlickDeal x3 :omg: (as long as nothing is logged.. In Hash or other possible forms)

As for the logging quote... I was told the following thru TorGuard's Chat service...

Quote:

TorGuard: Hello, would you like to talk about our products?

Client: yeap.. what is u'r encryption ?

TorGuard: its AEA256 bit for OpenVPN military grade the best encryption can offer!

Can I help you with anything else?

Client: on PrivateInternetAccess site I can test the speed of the servers.. but haven't found how to do that on u'r site.. pre-sub

TorGuard: at this moment, we are not offering any more our famous 24h free, no CC necessary accounts. sorry for that but the thing that we are offering is our famous money back guarantee that will serve you well during the first 30 days of the trial period, where you can test our services without worrying! give us a try, and you won't regret it
also, you can go to our store torguard.n…store/PrePaid-VPN-Service and get 24h account to test the service, for only 1$ - this is what I would recommend

TorGuard: and that site you mention, keep logs

they do not have ABSOLUTELY NO LOGS WHATSOEVER policy

like I said: they do not have ABSOLUTELY NO LOGS WHATSOEVER policy

Client: humn... intersting..

u do have the no logs on both ends right..

TorGuard: no logs on our side

thats the only side where logs could be kept

PIA keep logs in hashed form though, asked them directly about that

we do not encrypt your IP or do anything with it, nor do we store it

not even for 1ms
How do u handle u'r billing side & service side ??? Do u log who is log in at any time... ???

As for the 3 connections... Please increase this to 5.... If the logging part is false... It would make u'r service perfect... Router + Cell 1 when away from router + Cell 2 when way from router + Tablet way from router + laptop when away from router.... Would suck to have to open the cellphone to unencrypted traffic if one want's to use a bigger screen away from the router...

Also is there a way to mail in cash & a email address to pay & sub on this deal... Bitcoins are all over the place in price and hard to get for a Bitcoin noob anonymously... We don't mind waiting to open an account locked at this price till u receive the payment...

Hope to hear u'r responses... thanks for coming here to chat with us...

PS. Added the beginning of the conversation... New ?... What is the highest encryption that PIA uses ???

I am still trying to find the best possible VPN service for myself... As u can tell I research till there is no ? of what I am buying... Done editing for clarity... Will await u'r response... Please be specific...

green_key 06-03-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurrpancakes (Post 59845026)

I am thinking the same. So do u install PIA on your phone? and then all other devices connected will be auto vpn?

Snoopy2gos 06-03-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdx01 (Post 59845646)
It's also helpful for public wifi spots- if you want to say sign on to your bank account and its unsecure- you need a VPN to prevent malicious users from intercepting your unsecured traffic (which can contain your password). So it has legitimate uses in preventing identity theft- and anyone who has been a victim of that- knows its no joke. The only catch is that -you have to trust the VPN as they route all your traffic.

very true, I understand that there a lot of legitimate uses for a VPN, thanks for clarifying that all VPN traffic is not meant to do illegal activity :)

ilovecats 06-03-2013 02:06 PM

I just want to clarify: When the included VPN desktop client is *not* running, my connection is 100% stock through my own home network and ISP, right? I'd like to use VPN in certain occasions, but do not want any overhead from the software when I absolutely don't want the VPN running, such as online gaming.

Y314K 06-03-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy2gos (Post 59846908)
very true, I understand that there a lot of legitimate uses for a VPN, thanks for clarifying that all VPN traffic is not meant to do illegal activity :)

Right... But if one torrent's or not thru VPN... When u'r paying for a service... U want it to do something that the free VPN/Proxie options do not... Speed is one of the biggest things... But as much anonymity specially from the the VPN provider is another one... How fast do u think a VPN provider can come up with non existing logs once a Gov./lawyers/IRS/Cop's wanting DNA... :lmao::mad::lmao: starts to play hardball with their $$$....

privateinternet 06-03-2013 02:13 PM

Dear Slickdealers,

Great questions, please keep them coming!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbueller (Post 59845580)
So just to clarify - If I signed up during the last $32 deal, it will autorenew in a year for $32 instead of the full price? Thanks, PIA...

Yes :bounce:

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_key (Post 59845652)
rep+4 for both.
To privateinternet,
Can I insall on my android smartphone and then use as hotspot to all 8 other devices? So in this case, I only use one vpn connect??

Yes, but performance will be dependent upon your smart phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dschinghis_Khan (Post 59845770)
I personally haven't seen TorGuard make that claim specifically, but there are plenty of Reddit users that think you do log though for some reason (something about the US requiring it?..)

The claim never made sense to me considering you're always toward the top on TorrentFreaks preferred VPNs.

We do not log - and the US is one of the few countries where you do not have to log.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59845906)
LifeTime makes this a SlickDeal x3 :omg: (as long as nothing is logged.. In Hash or other possible forms)

As for the logging quote... I was told the following thru TorGuard's Chat service...

How do u handle u'r billing side & service side ??? Do u log who is log in at any time... ???

As for the 3 connections... Please increase this to 5.... If the logging part is false... It would make u'r service perfect... Router + Cell 1 when away from router + Cell 2 when way from router + Tablet way from router + laptop when away from router.... Would suck to have to open the cellphone to unencrypted traffic if one want's to use a bigger screen away from the router...

Also is there a way to mail in cash & a email address to pay & sub on this deal... Bitcoins are all over the place in price and hard to get for a Bitcoin noob anonymously... We don't mind waiting to open an account locked at this price till u receive the payment...

Hope to hear u'r responses... thanks for coming here to chat with us...

PS. Added the beginning of the conversation... New ?... What is the highest encryption that PIA uses ???

I am still trying to find the best possible VPN service for myself... As u can tell I research till there is no ? of what I am buying... Done editing for clarity... Will await u'r response... Please be specific...

We do not log, in hash form or otherwise. It appears the other service is making false claims...

The 3 device limit is there for now but may change. I have forwarded the request on. :)

You can buy bitcoins in cash and the price has been pretty stable lately. Right now, cash is not an option but, I will forward this request on as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_key (Post 59846034)
I am thinking the same. So do u install PIA on your phone? and then all other devices connected will be auto vpn?

You can do that - performance will vary depending on the phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovecats (Post 59847242)
I just want to clarify: When the included VPN desktop client is *not* running, my connection is 100% stock through my own home network and ISP, right? I'd like to use VPN in certain occasions, but do not want any overhead from the software when I absolutely don't want the VPN running, such as online gaming.

Yes, this is true. However, in this case, then, do not enable VPN kill switch.

Please keep the questions coming!! :)

sc2 06-03-2013 02:21 PM

Damn it ... mine autorenewed like 2 days ago. Fk!

fbueller 06-03-2013 02:21 PM

Thanks, PIA, now I'm glad that I gave you good reviews. :)

Do you have a referral program, by the way? I've sent a few people your way, but couldn't find anything online.

privateinternet 06-03-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbueller (Post 59847600)
Thanks, PIA, now I'm glad that I gave you good reviews. :)

Do you have a referral program, by the way? I've sent a few people your way, but couldn't find anything online.

We do - please checkout the affiliate section on our website footer.

busybargainmom 06-03-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pur (Post 59845052)
This adds privacy to your internet access (internet access not included)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy2gos (Post 59845088)

Thank you both. Like I said, I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff. Now, I'm a little less so ;) .

gattaca 06-03-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateinternet (Post 59847390)

Your company came recommended from Lifehacker. I appreciate you coming here to answer questions personally.

I had skipped your last promotion because I'm using StrongVPN and my subscription wasn't close to ending, but now it's ending in a few months. Will you have a new promotion soon or can you create a coupon for me that I can apply when my current VPN subscription ends? And are there student discounts too? Thanks.

flydeep 06-03-2013 02:36 PM

I signed up earlier this year and like the service so far. Currently I use it on my laptop using the Windows client and on my unraid server using a plugin. I'd like to lock into this price point with an extension and sign up for autorenewal with cash. Waiting to hear back ...

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,

We do not log - and the US is one of the few countries where you do not have to log.

We do not log, in hash form or otherwise. It appears the other service is making false claims...

The 3 device limit is there for now but may change. I have forwarded the request on. :)

You can buy bitcoins in cash and the price has been pretty stable lately. Right now, cash is not an option but, I will forward this request on as well!

nostrada 06-03-2013 02:36 PM

Count me as a happy customer since the last time the deal came around

getdealsonline 06-03-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,

This deal is lifetime.

Dear PI - Good to see you directly responding to fellow SD'ers. I am interested in it however will appreciate if you can answer:

1. Will I have to log on each of the laptop (4 to be precise), a couple of Smart TVs through VPN to use it how its supposed to be used?

My understanding (or rather preference) is that my router is configured to go through VPN so I don't have to log on each device and in other words, whenever anyone has joined my internet SSID, they are anonymous .. am I making sense to you?

If the router can be configured directly, is there a short guide how to. thanks!

rutgersfan 06-03-2013 02:40 PM

here too, no speed issues at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostrada (Post 59847960)
Count me as a happy customer since the last time the deal came around

walterg74 06-03-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

My experience: I signed up last time. I have a 25 Mbit connection and get about a 50% decrease in speed using PIA at the server location closest to me (same state) on a windows home server. If I go further away speed decreases the further away I go and no locations outside of my state are worth using for me because the speed decrease is greater than 50%. For me speed is also very,very slow and unusable at any server locations outside of the US. I tried using all of the connection options, OpenVPN, PPTP and the PIA client, all with the same results. Makes me wonder if something is not configured correctly on my end or if the servers are just overloaded.

I'm not so lucky living outside the US, and have only a 3MB connection. This speed is more than enough for streaming, and any other need I have. Would more speed get my downloads faster? Sure! But from there to say that your "25 mb" connection becomes "unusable"???? Even if it degraded to 10%, you still have more than enough for anything you may need. Now if you want to dowload torrents in seconds, well that's another thing...

Having said that, I use "Strong VPN" and have no degradtion in connection whatsoever.

FUqerr 06-03-2013 02:50 PM

First timer user here. When the New Network is displayed, do I select public or trusted for the VPN?

hightop32 06-03-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59845906)

someone needs a travel router.

Y314K 06-03-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,

Humn...Guess it's a TorGuard said PIA said thing... Since it's only words... Tie goes to PIA... Laws are changing very quickly here though... DNA if arrest just became public property... Google is being force to include a backdoor to all their services, etc, etc, etc.. Can go on for ever... So I hope u guyz are looking where to move u'r service once they force VPN's to become nothing more then a bar door for Data for the gov.

Really hope u guyz increase the connections to 5... I don't plan to use 5 at a time... But I would like the option when around the city to not have to use my cell's Data in order to stay behind a VPN out & about or to have to turn one off to turn another one on @ a coffee shop or other public place...

1st. new ??? How long is this sale going to go.. I plan to try to get some bitcoins locally in the next few days as anonymously as possible... But not sure how long it will take me...

2nd new ??? So all u guyz see is my login info logged into u'r service... But u can't see my ISP or ISP IP...

3rd new ??? Auto-renewal for those that use bitcoin would mean just a email or warning that u'r year is coming to and end in a month or so right...

4th new ??? I hear a lot of difference in speed when connection thru a router then connection directly from a device.. Is that a general truth or do the speeds suppose to be the same on DD-WRT OpenVPN/ Tomato OpenVPN / Windows 7 OpenVPN /U'r servcie app...

5th new ??? U offer a 30 day warranty right... Is there a data amount cutoff for the warranty like the 10GB Torguard restriction...

Will be back with a few more ?'s later.. Thanks again for interacting with us...

fbueller 06-03-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,

This deal is lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateinternet (Post 59847884)
We do - please checkout the affiliate section on our website footer.

Oh, that's more for a larger program. I just meant a few one-off referrals, that's all.

Y314K 06-03-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 59848340)
someone needs a travel router.

It would only help one pair.. Not he second pair... + would have the looking for a power source problem if outdoors....

Kamakzie 06-03-2013 02:59 PM

I currently use IPvanish. Is PIA better??

hightop32 06-03-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59848414)
It would only help one pair.. Not he second pair... + would have the looking for a power source problem if outdoors....

a big USB battery pack should power a travel router for many hours.

if the travel router you bought and your phone support usb tethering, you could even use your phone as the WWAN and not need wifi.

pretty sure this overs all of your cases. additionally you could run this on your home router, tunnel BACK home, then out the VPN.

Verismo 06-03-2013 03:00 PM

what do you mean by when you say this deal is lifetime
???

FUqerr 06-03-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUqerr (Post 59848244)
First timer user here. When the New Network is displayed, do I select public or trusted for the VPN?

Also, I selected the East Coast, but my speed is only 1.75 mbps when I usually get 15mbps.

hightop32 06-03-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verismo (Post 59848500)
???

really? its $31.95/yr for life, if you choose. :omg:

FUqerr 06-03-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verismo (Post 59848500)
???

They mean that after your one year is up, you can renew at the same sale price for the next year. It doesn't mean you pay $32 and get a VPN for Life. Only the price per year is lifetime.

Verismo 06-03-2013 03:06 PM

Haha okay, i thought it was a permanent price onwards instead of a limited time deal

Need to get a prepaid visa card so i'm super anonymous

Stunner2xx 06-03-2013 03:23 PM

you get 3

Quote:

connect 3 devices.

Y314K 06-03-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 59848492)
a big USB battery pack should power a travel router for many hours.

if the travel router you bought and your phone support usb tethering, you could even use your phone as the WWAN and not need wifi.

pretty sure this overs all of your cases. additionally you could run this on your home router, tunnel BACK home, then out the VPN.

Might look into that.. But still 5 is better then 3... I know PIA things we are going to be giving connections away.. But the amount of devices one pair of people use in a home has triple since the 90's... 1(90's) x 2 (00's) x 3 (10's) = 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUqerr (Post 59848512)
Also, I selected the East Coast, but my speed is only 1.75 mbps when I usually get 15mbps.

Keep checking the other areas... Sometimes the faster connection comes from outside u'r state... I get best speeds from NJ & Chicago.. I am not close to NJ.. 25 down... odd... Keep playing with the speed tests to get an idea of service...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verismo (Post 59848596)
Haha okay, i thought it was a permanent price onwards instead of a limited time deal

PM me if u are able to get one without requiring ID at the register.. There is even a deal on getting a PayPal PrePaid MasterCard at one of my grocery stores (no fee for it)... Gonna call and check what info they would need from me... Although I would be on camera & it would probably be link to my store savings card... :confused:

Stunner2xx 06-03-2013 03:32 PM

putting vpn on your phone will give you mixed performance usually favoring horrible speed/performance.

as for the person who is always on travel, you set your home router to as a client to connect to vpn
you setup your latop, tablet, travel router to connect to your home router which is connected to the vpn.

to set this up on your router your will most likely need ddwrt, tomato although few routers do support vpn with stock firmware.

hope this helps

Mamadou 06-03-2013 03:48 PM

In for 1. Done

kwest2 06-03-2013 03:50 PM

Currently using TorrentPrivacy @ $100/yr. Will this VPN solution provide the same/similar protection and obviously at a lower cost?

TIA!

hightop32 06-03-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwest2 (Post 59849566)
Currently using TorrentPrivacy @ $100/yr. Will this VPN solution provide the same/similar protection and obviously at a lower cost?

TIA!

lol wonder what you are using it for :P

SlickDillie 06-03-2013 03:59 PM

I bit. Works good so far. Thanks OP!

kwest2 06-03-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 59849714)
lol wonder what you are using it for :P

Oops. Forgot to start with "My friend is [Currently using....]". Thanks.

kabukicho 06-03-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

yep, whats a good one to buy? gotta buy one before this deal ends, hopefully not too soon

passedaway 06-03-2013 05:26 PM

My current subscription lasts till Nov. any idea how I can buy this to extend that one?

hightop32 06-03-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59848932)
PM me if u are able to get one without requiring ID at the register.. There is even a deal on getting a PayPal PrePaid MasterCard at one of my grocery stores (no fee for it)... Gonna call and check what info they would need from me... Although I would be on camera & it would probably be link to my store savings card... :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabukicho (Post 59851560)
yep, whats a good one to buy? gotta buy one before this deal ends, hopefully not too soon

i mean i get the concept of attempting to stay anon, but do you really think it would be that hard to prove it was you?

i mean especially planning out which prepaid card to use, how hard would it be to cross reference if you are REALLY that paranoid?

not saying its not a good idea just saying, you arent exactly super secret spy material :P

txh00kem 06-03-2013 05:44 PM

Says they don't log, but there is a pretty detailed conduct clause in the TOS. I'm confused by this...
How would they know what is going on unless they log or monitor traffic??

getdealsonline 06-03-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunner2xx (Post 59848918)
connect 3 devices.

how do you put it on the router?

shyam09 06-03-2013 05:48 PM

i have this and am on the west coast. for the most part I get a little less than the 24 Mbit I had, but my upload speed more than makes up for it (up to 5x the old upload speed)

sampsonti 06-03-2013 05:49 PM

Thanks!

hurrpancakes 06-03-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_key (Post 59846034)

Yes. It would be the same thing as connecting to a vpn on your router. Every device that is connected to that router would access the web through the vpn

fbueller 06-03-2013 05:59 PM

For those of you wanting to route to wireless clients, check out Connectify. Install on a pc, route Connectify traffic through the VPN adapter, then connect wirelessly to the Connectify hotspot. Counts as one connection, all traffic encrypted. And Connectify is free.

redextreme 06-03-2013 06:07 PM

Wait so would I get max speeds of what my internet provider Verizon is currently giving me which is like 2.1mb/s, would I get that if I used this VPN? Also what about confidentiality?

stormfury 06-03-2013 06:09 PM

prepaid card

anyone know if there is a no fee prepaid card I can use to pay for ? Can one load cash into the prepaid cards? Thanks in advance.

redextreme 06-03-2013 06:14 PM

Also how many different IPs do they have for you to choose from?

Y314K 06-03-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabukicho (Post 59851560)
yep, whats a good one to buy?

Well found the grocery store will sell one no ?'s ask... But u'r still on video for however long they keep their video footage.. lol

Not sure how anonymous it is... It does seem bitcoin would be cheaper fee... Gonna have to choose between them... Around 7% (around $2.25) vs $4.95... Guess I'll have to see how more anonymous bitcoin will be...

Verismo 06-03-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59852808)
Well found the grocery store will sell one no ?'s ask... But u'r still on video for however long they keep their video footage.. lol

Not sure how anonymous it is... It does seem bitcoin would be cheaper fee... Gonna have to choose between them... Around 7% (around $2.25) vs $4.95... Guess I'll have to see how more anonymous bitcoin will be...

sorry buddy, i live in canada can't be of any help

they don't ask for ids here :)

redextreme 06-03-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verismo (Post 59852868)

Why is your name Verismo, am I thinking what I am thinking? Are you purchasing this in preparation of another starbucks deal :lol:

Chevyguy85 06-03-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,

This deal is lifetime.

Is there a way to get in on this deal if we paid the $45 or whatever full price was a couple months ago?

Other SDers
As far as the service I rarely have problems and most aren't because of PIA. I have 40 megabit line and I get 40 mb in downloads and speed tests the vast majority of times, if not I switch servers. My uploads actually increase to almost 20 megabits at times. I've run it on 3 devices at once no problems.

getdealsonline 06-03-2013 06:41 PM

why would you prefer this over Hamachi?

walled 06-03-2013 06:44 PM

Is there a trial period where we can get our money back if we find this service slow or unsuitable?

redextreme 06-03-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walled (Post 59853098)
Is there a trial period where we can get our money back if we find this service slow or unsuitable?

7 days return

Y314K 06-03-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 59851790)
i mean i get the concept of attempting to stay anon, but do you really think it would be that hard to prove it was you?

I mean especially planning out which prepaid card to use, how hard would it be to cross reference if you are really that paranoid?

Not saying its not a good idea just saying, you arent exactly super secret spy material :p

Right... But at least u want them to have to jump thru some hoops... Remember... In the UK they are now sending half a dozen detectives to torrenter's homes... While solders get kill on the street... What makes u think that won't start to happen here... Judge's are tearing up the constitution weekly... What makes u think we won't need a anonymous VPN just to be able to express our first amendment rights...

Quote:

Originally Posted by txh00kem (Post 59851986)
says they don't log, but there is a pretty detailed conduct clause in the tos. I'm confused by this...

They're either lying to make it look like they follow rules... But they can't enforce them... Or they are laying to us that they don't log... That's why I keep asking ?'s until I am satisfied that paying them for VPN is worth it at all... If they log then they are not different then the free one's... Maybe just a bit faster...

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdealsonline (Post 59852038)
how do you put it on the router?

Best way is to do OpenVPN.... PIA has tutorials on how to setup just about any possible options like Android, IOS, Windows, Linux, Routers, W7, etc on their site...

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormfury (Post 59852502)
anyone know if there is a no fee prepaid card i can use to pay for ? Can one load cash into the prepaid cards? Thanks in advance.

The one's u can continue to load money into are not recommended since they make u sign up with u'r info online like cc and bank info to continue to fill it up... The one's u can pay cash at a store without requiring any private info are better but say Cheese... U are still on camera buying said card... I would keep the card for a few a month.. And then destroy it once the account is well on it's way...

Quote:

Originally Posted by verismo (Post 59852868)

Found a store here that does the same.. No id needed.. But might have to wear shades and my collar up to purchase it... :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by redextreme (Post 59852888)
why is your name verismo, am i thinking what i am thinking? Are you purchasing this in preparation of another starbucks deal :lol:

I hope to be ready for another BestBuy deal like Sat. morning... That was sweet...

redextreme 06-03-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59853528)
Right... But at least u want them to have to jump thru some hoops... Remember... In the UK they are now sending half a dozen detectives to torrenter's homes... While solders get kill on the street... What makes u think that won't start to happen here... Judge's are tearing up the constitution weekly... What makes u think we won't need a anonymous VPN just to be able to express our first amendment rights...

They're either lying to make it look like they follow rules... But they can't enforce them... Or they are laying to us that they don't log... That's why I keep asking ?'s until I am satisfied that paying them for VPN is worth it at all... If they log then they are not different then the free one's... Maybe just a bit faster...

Best way is to do OpenVPN.... PIA has tutorials on how to setup just about any possible options like Android, IOS, Windows, Linux, Routers, W7, etc on their site...

The one's u can continue to load money into are not recommended since they make u sign up with u'r info online like cc and bank info to continue to fill it up... The one's u can pay cash at a store without requiring any private info are better but say Cheese... U are still on camera buying said card... I would keep the card for a few a month.. And then destroy it once the account is well on it's way...

Found a store here that does the same.. No id needed.. But might have to wear shades and my collar up to purchase it... :cool:

I hope to be ready for another BestBuy deal like Sat. morning... That was sweet...

Best buy deal? What was it?

mulliganman 06-03-2013 07:20 PM

How does one set up a router with this to use with connected devices through the router?

NotReal 06-03-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdealsonline (Post 59844482)

I didn't read all the posts in this thread so someone may have already covered this...

On my Win8 and Win7 Systems, the installer actually creates another "network adapter" (TAP-Win32 Adapter) that is used for accessing the PIA network. Your standard network card is still available for internal ip addresses just like before

For example I use RealVNC to remotely connect to my home server that runs on my local network. If I am running PIA on that system, the RealVNC software wants me to use an ip address in northern California to connect but in reality, I can still use my standard network address of 192.168.0.xxx

Y314K 06-03-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redextreme (Post 59853684)
Best buy deal? What was it?

Ohhh... It was sweet.... Could of been better for me if I had VPN... Helped saved me $40 on a SB6141 modem...

Best Buy - $5 off any in-store purchase

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulliganman (Post 59853722)
How does one set up a router with this to use with connected devices through the router?

Pick u'r sweet poison here... [privateinternetaccess.com]

Rockalittle 06-03-2013 07:32 PM

Can I use this service to bypass blocked sites at work?

redextreme 06-03-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59853862)
Ohhh... It was sweet.... Could of been better for me if I had VPN... Helped saved me $40 on a SB6141 modem...

Best Buy - $5 off any in-store purchase ["http]

Pick u'r sweet poison here... ["https]

Omg I would of gone cray on this deal!!! I got a catch all, now a VPN. Thanks so much you are now followed.

mulliganman 06-03-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Ok so one would have to buy a "reconfigured" router from them then to use this with connected devices through a router then?

lwhitit 06-03-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulliganman (Post 59854002)
Ok so one would have to buy a "reconfigured" router from them then to use this with connected devices through a router then?

No. You need a router with dd-wrt or tomato firmware installed. Instructions are on that page (top right).

mulliganman 06-03-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwhitit (Post 59854090)
No. You need a router with dd-wrt or tomato firmware installed. Instructions are on that page (top right).

Thanks for replying but I don't see those instructions.

halfawak3 06-03-2013 08:13 PM

I just want to make sure that even though the $31.95 for 1-year plan ($2.66/month) deal is lifetime but we can cancel this anytime, can't we (i.e. we are not locked in to subscribe to this service for lifetime)?

h_pagoda 06-03-2013 08:17 PM

I nominate this thread for worst questions ever.

Kamakzie 06-03-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfawak3 (Post 59854578)
I just want to make sure that even though the $31.95 for 1-year plan ($2.66/month) deal is lifetime but we can cancel this anytime, can't we (i.e. we are not locked in to subscribe to this service for lifetime)?

Yes, the contract is signed with the blood of your first born child.. :)

Y314K 06-03-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockalittle (Post 59853878)

Only if u'r able to tunnel thru at work to u'r home... google tunneling at work...

Quote:

Originally Posted by redextreme (Post 59853920)
Omg I would of gone cray on this deal!!! I got a catch all, now a VPN. Thanks so much you are now followed.

Yeah.. It was awesome.... Voted a bunch of time for RetailMeNot to bring it back.. I accidentally caught the deal by checking the Home Page for Slick deals and seeing it on the trending box... Add BestBuy coupons in u'r notifications... Some folks where able to get 100's... I got 8... I was changing my IP manually...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulliganman (Post 59854002)

Nope... See below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwhitit (Post 59854090)

Yeap... The txt is small some guyz might want to zoom in on the page to read all the option tutorials available...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulliganman (Post 59854256)
Thanks for replying but I don't see those instructions.

Here the 3 main links from the link I posted before...

DD-WRT OpenVPN VPN Setup DD-WRT: VPN OpenVPN Setup [privateinternetaccess.com]

Tomato OpenVPN VPN Setup Tomato: OpenVPN VPN Setup [privateinternetaccess.com]

PfSense OpenVPN VPN Setup PfSense: OpenVPN VPN Setup [privateinternetaccess.com]

I plan to go with Tomato on my Linksys E3000 for now...

pointbob 06-03-2013 08:32 PM

will this protect my identity if i upload compromising photos of my ex?

Y314K 06-03-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h_pagoda (Post 59854642)
I nominate this thread for worst questions ever.

But does PIA includes encrypted HDMI on the interwebs... :eek:

hightop32 06-03-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotReal (Post 59853762)
I didn't read all the posts in this thread so someone may have already covered this...

On my Win8 and Win7 Systems, the installer actually creates another "network adapter" (TAP-Win32 Adapter) that is used for accessing the PIA network. Your standard network card is still available for internal ip addresses just like before

For example I use RealVNC to remotely connect to my home server that runs on my local network. If I am running PIA on that system, the RealVNC software wants me to use an ip address in northern California to connect but in reality, I can still use my standard network address of 192.168.0.xxx

why in HELL would you buy speakers that required a driver/network interface???

Y314K 06-03-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointbob (Post 59854920)

not if u'r ex finds out about them... Since he would know who had the fish pics last...:wave: (SP joke)

csteiner27 06-03-2013 08:55 PM

This is a good deal.

bolland99 06-03-2013 09:02 PM

question for Private Internet Access rep:

Hi, I am a current customer and just renewed my monthly service a few days ago. I could never figure out how to login to my account on the website and add an additional month and had to wait until I received and email with a link to renew.

I would like to sign up for a year of service at your current rates, but cannot figure out how to login to my current account and then add a year to it. Is it possible to do this? Will my year start immediately or when my current monthly pass expires?

I love your service and how you take bitcoins (and even ripples) on your website, but just wish you would make it easier for existing customers to add additional service time to their accounts.

redextreme 06-03-2013 09:03 PM

What is the best way to pay for a service like this? Also when does this promotion end?

bigsid05 06-03-2013 09:32 PM

Wow, great deal. Signed up after looking into this and reading the thread. Works flawlessly and maxes out my FIOS 75/35 connection on the east coast. I'll need to pick up a router to use this for all my internet traffic.

redextreme 06-03-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsid05 (Post 59856024)
Wow, great deal. Signed up after looking into this and reading the thread. Works flawlessly and maxes out my FIOS 75/35 connection on the east coast. I'll need to pick up a router to use this for all my internet traffic.

what payment method did you use?

bjamm 06-03-2013 09:41 PM

I use OctaneVPN for the past few weeks. It maxes out my FIOS at 50/25 without an issue connected to the closest servers. Only goes down slightly for further servers. I pay 5.99 /mo

bennycast 06-03-2013 09:49 PM

can someone explain me what is this?

is it internet for cellphone without sim card or something?

hy0r1 06-03-2013 09:54 PM

Sorry for the noob questions, first time vpn user, but I could use some help...

So I downloaded the vpn installer and connected just fine. Turns out my router (DIR-615 with ddwrt) is not capable of supporting OpenVPN (atheros-based router). Does this mean even if I'm connected to the vpn, since my router isn't set up, it's not truly private? And so the only way I can get this to work is if I don't use my router and connect directly to cable modem?

I did see PPTP on on my router settings - though I have read that it is significantly less secure. Article from 2010, so not sure if it still applies now:
http://www.instantfundas.com/2010...eless.html

So what should I do now?

bolland99 06-03-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redextreme (Post 59855508)
What is the best way to pay for a service like this? Also when does this promotion end?

I always pay with bitcoin. They also take ripple and are the first merchant I've seen who accept that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennycast (Post 59856306)
can someone explain me what is this?

is it internet for cellphone without sim card or something?

It is just a way to route your internet to protect your privacy so the websites you go to will not know your IP address.

This article will answer all your questions:

http://lifehacker.com/5935863/fiv...-providers

Quote:

Originally Posted by hy0r1 (Post 59856384)
Sorry for the noob questions, first time vpn user, but I could use some help...

So I downloaded the vpn installer and connected just fine. Turns out my router (DIR-615 with ddwrt) is not capable of supporting OpenVPN (atheros-based router). Does this mean even if I'm connected to the vpn, since my router isn't set up, it's not truly private? And so the only way I can get this to work is if I don't use my router and connect directly to cable modem?

So what should I do now?

I don't think your router has anything to do with it.

But just go to one of the "what is my IP" websites (google it) and test it and if your IP is different when you are connected, then it is working.

Deaal 06-03-2013 10:01 PM

I have Tomato on my Router. On a computer i can select which server i can connect to but how do i select the server location on Tomato interface ??

mulliganman 06-03-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59854878)
Only if u'r able to tunnel thru at work to u'r home... google tunneling at work...

Yeah.. It was awesome.... Voted a bunch of time for RetailMeNot to bring it back.. I accidentally caught the deal by checking the Home Page for Slick deals and seeing it on the trending box... Add BestBuy coupons in u'r notifications... Some folks where able to get 100's... I got 8... I was changing my IP manually...

Nope... See below...

Yeap... The txt is small some guyz might want to zoom in on the page to read all the option tutorials available...

Here the 3 main links from the link I posted before...

DD-WRT OpenVPN VPN Setup DD-WRT: VPN OpenVPN Setup [privateinternetaccess.com]

Tomato OpenVPN VPN Setup Tomato: OpenVPN VPN Setup [privateinternetaccess.com]

PfSense OpenVPN VPN Setup PfSense: OpenVPN VPN Setup [privateinternetaccess.com]

I plan to go with Tomato on my Linksys E3000 for now...

Any additional setup needed for wifi only ipad 2 other than configuring the router?

fbueller 06-03-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulliganman (Post 59856564)
Any additional setup needed for wifi only ipad 2 other than configuring the router?

No, but note that you can also configure it on the Ipad itself for when you're traveling.

Kamakzie 06-03-2013 10:08 PM

I tried PIA and it just doesn't give me good enough speed. Do I just cancel and will I automatically get the refund via Paypal or do I need to contact support?

namlook 06-03-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moesasin (Post 59844276)
maxes my 15mbs home internet and T-mobile 4G most of the time. I alternate between the midwest server or east. The android app is rock solid with features to connect on boot. Check the available servers and bandwidth here: https://www.privateinternetaccess...s/network/

When I use these links the speeds are much faster than when I check speedtest.net after connecting to the VPN server. Speedtest.net is showing a speed that is sometimes 1/3 of what those links show me. Any explanation for this?

Jwen556 06-03-2013 10:11 PM

So I bought this for 1-year. If I cancel subscription, will I still be able to use it for the rest of the year?

Droidalicious 06-03-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwen556 (Post 59856702)
So I bought this for 1-year. If I cancel subscription, will I still be able to use it for the rest of the year?

No....

redextreme 06-03-2013 10:18 PM

I don't understand bitcoin...I need to find a physical cash deposit location?

What other payment methods you guys use?

hightop32 06-03-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namlook (Post 59856684)
When I use these links the speeds are much faster than when I check speedtest.net after connecting to the VPN server. Speedtest.net is showing a speed that is sometimes 1/3 of what those links show me. Any explanation for this?

yes, sounds like the route from their test servers to speedtest.net's test server is not as good as your route to the test servers. try a different speedtest server and not the one it chooses for you (or closest to your home).

Hrshycro 06-03-2013 10:30 PM

I signed up for this last time around... So far I've been impressed with it!

I have a 12m ADSL connection which is always 12-13m. I use PSA's Seattle server (one state away), and it takes my connection down to 11-12mbit, which is perfectly understandable and fine with me. I also use it overseas in Asia, and while it slowed the connection down, it's because the closest server for 1/4th+ of the world away.

Only problem I've had was their OS X client was disconnecting and wouldn't reconnect without a restart... I emailed them and they replied with two different solutions to try within a couple of hours.

joer316 06-03-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Dear Slickdealers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by txh00kem (Post 59851986)
Says they don't log, but there is a pretty detailed conduct clause in the TOS. I'm confused by this...

privateinternet: can you please describe your companies logging/tracking/monitoring policies regarding the conduct clause in the TOS?

dealpick 06-03-2013 10:34 PM

Can you change your IP address with this service?

I am looking for something to switch the IP address quickly when there is a slick deal limited to 1 per IP address. Will this vpn help?

milko 06-03-2013 10:40 PM

I wish vpns offered block accounts. I only need this like 4-5days a month and just end up doing an airvpn trial each time, $1.30ish/3days.

Polygon 06-03-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealpick (Post 59857078)
Can you change your IP address with this service?

I am looking for something to switch the IP address quickly when there is a slick deal limited to 1 per IP address. Will this vpn help?

That should work. VPNs direct your traffic through another server (different state, country). That's what allows you to bypass location restrictions on websites (BBC, Netflix, etc.).

Killerz 06-03-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milko (Post 59857174)
I wish vpns offered block accounts. I only need this like 4-5days a month and just end up doing an airvpn trial each time, $1.30ish/3days.

I asked them to implement daily/weekly rates during the last deal and they said they already had that intention. What is going on Private Internet Access? Are you ever going to offer daily/weekly rates for those of us who just need a quick fix?

DeltaMajor156 06-03-2013 10:55 PM

My take as a layman:
1. You are putting your trust in these guys
2. If you use their European servers then you are getting logged by law
3. By using a VPN you are drawing unwanted attention to yourself.
4. I've been using TD with Peerblock for months and no ISP warnings
5. My router would need to be changed to dd-wrt or tomato, sounds painful to setup esp. since my router has a USB printer connected and 4 wired computers, 2 wireless laptops, a wireless TV and 2 wireless Bluray players. The USB printer means it makes dd-wrt and tomato more complicated (or it did at one time, fuzzy memory)
6. oh and check DNS for leaks and blah blah blah etc

bottom line = complicated and unknown real world benefits

I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong and make this simple.

EasyGuy 06-03-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khorne55 (Post 59857370)
My take as a layman:
5. My router would need to be changed to dd-wrt or tomato, sounds painful to setup esp. since my router has a USB printer connected and 4 wired computers, 2 wireless laptops, a wireless TV and 2 wireless Bluray players. The USB printer means it makes dd-wrt and tomato more complicated (or it did at one time, fuzzy memory)

If you are paranoid, setup a few VPN services and reroute things until the cows come home.

LoRdAcId 06-03-2013 11:01 PM

Why are people asking about how to pay? They accept a ton of payment options including paypal...why not just use that?

DeltaMajor156 06-03-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoRdAcId (Post 59857436)
Why are people asking about how to pay? They accept a ton of payment options including paypal...why not just use that?

You can be tracked by most payment methods.

EasyGuy 06-03-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joer316 (Post 59857012)
privateinternet: can you please describe your companies logging/tracking/monitoring policies regarding the conduct clause in the TOS?

I'm sorry, most court cases I've read about, when the authority have a warrant they tend to get the info they wanted.....

DeltaMajor156 06-03-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyGuy (Post 59857462)
I'm sorry, most court cases I've read about, when the authority have a warrant they tend to get the info they wanted.....

Then again, what is the point of using a VPN?

DeltaMajor156 06-03-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droidalicious (Post 59856754)
No....

So if I only want to use it for a year then I have to remember to cancel it, more complication.

LoRdAcId 06-03-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khorne55 (Post 59857456)
You can be tracked by most payment methods.

But they don't keep logs in the US...how would they link payment to user to traffic?

DeltaMajor156 06-03-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoRdAcId (Post 59857502)
But they don't keep logs in the US...how would they link payment to user to traffic?

No idea, but people who know more about this than me seem to want to pay anonymously with bitcoins.

genemats 06-03-2013 11:09 PM

Use TOR

Have you tried the TORPROJECT's web browser? It has multiple VPN built in...

https://www.torproject.org/downlo...sy.html.en

Quote:

My take as a layman:

DeltaMajor156 06-03-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genemats (Post 59857550)
Have you tried the TORPROJECT's web browser? It has multiple VPN built in...

https://www.torproject.org/downlo...sy.html.en

Yeah I use it occasionally, seems to run slow.

genemats 06-03-2013 11:16 PM

With a little bit of research you can run your own free VPN service on a hosted remote systems; such as Amazon AWS or Rackspace, among many systems hosting providers.

Previously I worked for a very restrictive company that blocked access to Gmail, Slickdeals and OMG FaceBook! They had all the published Proxies and VPN services blocked as well. To get around that I started up my Squid Proxy server on Amazon AWS. I paid about $5 to Amazon every month.

Guess it's about the same as Private Internet Access charges....Except I had to read a lot more docs and manuals :-(

Droidalicious 06-03-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khorne55 (Post 59857500)
So if I only want to use it for a year then I have to remember to cancel it, more complication.

If you bought it today and cancel within the first 7 days it cancels the entire year and refunds you
If you want the entire year I wouldn't cancel until your year is up just to be safe
It says on the cancel page you will still be able to login for the remainder of the billing period.

DeltaMajor156 06-03-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Droidalicious (Post 59857722)
If you bought it today and cancel within the first 7 days it cancels the entire year and refunds you
If you want the entire year I wouldn't cancel until your year is up just to be safe

It just seems like the whole VPN thing is a lot of work for nothing unless maybe you are selling drugs on the deep web, which I am not.

I just do whatever I want and don't care who sees it really. I get three warnings from my ISP before they cancel me and I haven't received even one yet. And I am doing nothing that half of America isn't already doing anyway.

Droidalicious 06-03-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khorne55 (Post 59857786)
It just seems like the whole VPN thing is a lot of work for nothing unless maybe you are selling drugs on the deep web, which I am not.

I just do whatever I want and don't care who sees it really. I get three warnings from my ISP before they cancel me and I haven't received even one yet. And I am doing nothing that half of America isn't already doing anyway.

It takes all of 1 minute to install the program and enter user name and password not a lot of work at all

OmniNegro 06-03-2013 11:41 PM

To those insane people who think no privacy oriented service is to be trusted: You can use this and your server of choice alongside Tor. So even if one were compromised, the other would still greatly obfuscate you.

And as to using a year service after canceling it, so long as you have paid it should remain working. (I waited a week or two before I did it.) I did that with my subscription and my account still works. Contact support if your account ceases to work for some reason.

I cannot always afford to buy another year of service whenever the current one expires. So I cancel every time with most services like this. I even bother to explain this when asking them to cancel it. I never had any questions asked by any service.

As for the logging junk... Why 'effing bother. Go read the debates on the forums for the service itself. At least there some of the people have half a brain. (Not an insult directed at anyone in particular, but some posts here are mind numbing at best.)

And about Tor. It is a better general system for privacy, but that is weighed by the heavy lag and packet loss due to the way it works. Every response is routed a random number of hops with the start, middles, and end never knowing just how many hops or the amount of natural lag between any two points. This means that every packet has a random artificial lag added to make it harder to pin down exactly where any point is.

That is very good for privacy, but terrible for speed and reliability. VPNs on the other hand are focused on maximum speed and minimum latency for the customers/users. Both are more than good enough unless you have some law enforcement agency trying to pin you down. Use Tor if you only occasionally need a VPN while you look for something you want unconnected with you. (Like self conscious people buying Viagra/Cialis.) Subscribe to a VPN if you want something that is faster, leaner, and can be used without mixing in with a crowd of people trying to cover what they are doing.

Be warned that if you try to purchase things via Tor you are likely getting all your purchase information including payment type logged. On a commercial VPN this cannot really happen since you never handle packets for anyone else.

I should have started this with TL;DR...

corenom 06-03-2013 11:42 PM

you can pay for frontpage advertisement??

privateinternet 06-03-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gattaca (Post 59847926)
Your company came recommended from Lifehacker. I appreciate you coming here to answer questions personally.

I had skipped your last promotion because I'm using StrongVPN and my subscription wasn't close to ending, but now it's ending in a few months. Will you have a new promotion soon or can you create a coupon for me that I can apply when my current VPN subscription ends? And are there student discounts too? Thanks.

The current promotion ends at the end of this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flydeep (Post 59847944)
I signed up earlier this year and like the service so far. Currently I use it on my laptop using the Windows client and on my unraid server using a plugin. I'd like to lock into this price point with an extension and sign up for autorenewal with cash. Waiting to hear back ...

There is, unfortunately, no way to extend the service with this price. However, if you are within a refund period you can get a refund for the previous purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdealsonline (Post 59848002)
Dear PI - Good to see you directly responding to fellow SD'ers. I am interested in it however will appreciate if you can answer:

1. Will I have to log on each of the laptop (4 to be precise), a couple of Smart TVs through VPN to use it how its supposed to be used?

My understanding (or rather preference) is that my router is configured to go through VPN so I don't have to log on each device and in other words, whenever anyone has joined my internet SSID, they are anonymous .. am I making sense to you?

If the router can be configured directly, is there a short guide how to. thanks!

You can do this with a router. The best bet is to use Tomato or DD-WRT. You can install these on most routers, but check the individual websites for compatibility. Then, the router can connect with its built in VPN client to our network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterg74 (Post 59848030)
I'm not so lucky living outside the US, and have only a 3MB connection. This speed is more than enough for streaming, and any other need I have. Would more speed get my downloads faster? Sure! But from there to say that your "25 mb" connection becomes "unusable"???? Even if it degraded to 10%, you still have more than enough for anything you may need. Now if you want to dowload torrents in seconds, well that's another thing...

Having said that, I use "Strong VPN" and have no degradtion in connection whatsoever.

That is not good! Please contact our support desk to fix your speed issues - http://support.privateinternetaccess.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUqerr (Post 59848244)

You can select public for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59848378)
Humn...Guess it's a TorGuard said PIA said thing... Since it's only words... Tie goes to PIA... Laws are changing very quickly here though... DNA if arrest just became public property... Google is being force to include a backdoor to all their services, etc, etc, etc.. Can go on for ever... So I hope u guyz are looking where to move u'r service once they force VPN's to become nothing more then a bar door for Data for the gov.

Really hope u guyz increase the connections to 5... I don't plan to use 5 at a time... But I would like the option when around the city to not have to use my cell's Data in order to stay behind a VPN out & about or to have to turn one off to turn another one on @ a coffee shop or other public place...

1st. new ??? How long is this sale going to go.. I plan to try to get some bitcoins locally in the next few days as anonymously as possible... But not sure how long it will take me...

2nd new ??? So all u guyz see is my login info logged into u'r service... But u can't see my ISP or ISP IP...

3rd new ??? Auto-renewal for those that use bitcoin would mean just a email or warning that u'r year is coming to and end in a month or so right...

4th new ??? I hear a lot of difference in speed when connection thru a router then connection directly from a device.. Is that a general truth or do the speeds suppose to be the same on DD-WRT OpenVPN/ Tomato OpenVPN / Windows 7 OpenVPN /U'r servcie app...

5th new ??? U offer a 30 day warranty right... Is there a data amount cutoff for the warranty like the 10GB Torguard restriction...

Will be back with a few more ?'s later.. Thanks again for interacting with us...

We have never said anything about another company, as we like our fellow competitors in the industry. More choices is generally better for consumers.

1. The sale should go until the end of the week.
2. We do not maintain any logs, so we will see nothing, other than 'someone' is logged in.
3. Exactly
4. The connect on a router can be slower because of the lack of processing power on the device for encryption/decryption.
5. We have a 7 day, no limit warranty/guaranteed money back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbueller (Post 59848410)
Oh, that's more for a larger program. I just meant a few one-off referrals, that's all.

Unfortunately, we don't have a few 1 off referrals. However, you can join the affiliate program even for smaller numbers of referrals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUqerr (Post 59848512)

Please contact our support desk at http://support.privateinternetaccess.com . Our east coast datacenters have the best routing possible, so this should be a straight forward fix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redextreme (Post 59852590)
Also how many different IPs do they have for you to choose from?

Please see https://www.privateinternetaccess...es/network

Quote:

Originally Posted by walled (Post 59853098)

Yes, we do have a 7 day money back guarantee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockalittle (Post 59853878)

If you have access to the internet (real access, not proxied), you can access Private Internet Access.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfawak3 (Post 59854578)

You can cancel at anytime! The account will remain active for the remaining time of your billing period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolland99 (Post 59855494)
question for Private Internet Access rep:

Hi, I am a current customer and just renewed my monthly service a few days ago. I could never figure out how to login to my account on the website and add an additional month and had to wait until I received and email with a link to renew.

I would like to sign up for a year of service at your current rates, but cannot figure out how to login to my current account and then add a year to it. Is it possible to do this? Will my year start immediately or when my current monthly pass expires?

I love your service and how you take bitcoins (and even ripples) on your website, but just wish you would make it easier for existing customers to add additional service time to their accounts.

Unfortunately, you will need to cancel your monthly account and sign up for a new yearly account. Please contact our support team for options. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by redextreme (Post 59855508)

Bitcoin - and this promotion will last to the end of the week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakzie (Post 59856654)
I tried PIA and it just doesn't give me good enough speed. Do I just cancel and will I automatically get the refund via Paypal or do I need to contact support?

You will need to request a refund via the support desk within 7 days of signing up. However, please give us a chance to fix your speeds. Please contact our support desk at http://support.privateinternetaccess.com

Y314K 06-03-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolland99 (Post 59856454)
I always pay with bitcoin. They also take ripple and are the first merchant I've seen who accept that.

It is just a way to route your internet to protect your privacy so the websites you go to will not know your IP address.

This article will answer all your questions:

http://lifehacker.com/5935863/fiv...-providers

I don't think your router has anything to do with it.

But just go to one of the "what is my IP" websites (google it) and test it and if your IP is different when you are connected, then it is working.

Humn.... Is ripple suppose to be more anonymous then bitcoin??? researching... He would need to check more then what IP address he has... He would need to check DNS leakage... Or make sure he is running on PIA's DNS...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaal (Post 59856504)
I have Tomato on my Router. On a computer i can select which server i can connect to but how do i select the server location on Tomato interface ??

Easy.... 8. Set the Server Address/Port to us-texas.privateinternetaccess.com[*] and port to 1194. [privateinternetaccess.com] Just change the server on step 8...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbueller (Post 59856648)
No, but note that you can also configure it on the Ipad itself for when you're traveling.

And this is why 5 connects is perfect... They need to allow 5 connects... It means 1 router + 2 phones + 2 tablets... Perfect constant setup...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakzie (Post 59856654)

It would need to be withing the 7th day of signup for u to be able to cancel... Maybe u can sell u'r membership to a 3rd party.... lol If u trust that party...:shake:

Quote:

Play with all the servers.. U might think a farther away server is slower... But u might be surprise on what turns out to be faster.... Get with Tech Support Chat when u have some time too....

Quote:

U would just need to cancel around the time of re-subscription in about a 11 3/4 months.. If u cancel after 7 days u loose u'r payment & service...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoRdAcId (Post 59857502)

From my research... All VPN's out there link the service VPN side with the billing VPN side... Even TorGuard which say they don't, do link them.... This is a big problem and it's why the only info I would want them to be able to verify or be real is my email address... So I am looking for the most anonymous payment option...

With the link between the payment & service sides... The gov or 3rd party would not need an specific IP address... They would just need to request who was accessing PIA at a certain time range at a specific shared IP... They would then have everybody's account sharing that IP... From there since u'r user name & or password can link u to an account... They would just need to find what type of payment u used...Then they can comer over to all the users that where sharing that IP & ask for all u'r devices for them to find who they where looking for.. Sure it's a lot of work.. But it's pretty straight forward... That is why I keep looking for the best possible VPN if I am going to pay for it...

Y314K 06-03-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genemats (Post 59857634)
With a little bit of research you can run your own free VPN service on a hosted remote systems; such as Amazon AWS or Rackspace, among many systems hosting providers.

Previously I worked for a very restrictive company that blocked access to Gmail, Slickdeals and OMG FaceBook! They had all the published Proxies and VPN services blocked as well. To get around that I started up my Squid Proxy server on Amazon AWS. I paid about $5 to Amazon every month.

Guess it's about the same as Private Internet Access charges....Except I had to read a lot more docs and manuals :-(

How could they not link the IP from the remote system to the Amazon AWS & then to u'r payment info and there for u ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniNegro (Post 59857858)
To those insane people who think no privacy oriented service is to be trusted: You can use this and your server of choice alongside Tor. So even if one were compromised, the other would still greatly obfuscate you.

And as to using a year service after canceling it, so long as you have paid it should remain working. (I waited a week or two before I did it.) I did that with my subscription and my account still works. Contact support if your account ceases to work for some reason.

I cannot always afford to buy another year of service whenever the current one expires. So I cancel every time with most services like this. I even bother to explain this when asking them to cancel it. I never had any questions asked by any service.

As for the logging junk... Why 'effing bother. Go read the debates on the forums for the service itself. At least there some of the people have half a brain. (Not an insult directed at anyone in particular, but some posts here are mind numbing at best.)

And about Tor. It is a better general system for privacy, but that is weighed by the heavy lag and packet loss due to the way it works. Every response is routed a random number of hops with the start, middles, and end never knowing just how many hops or the amount of natural lag between any two points. This means that every packet has a random artificial lag added to make it harder to pin down exactly where any point is.

That is very good for privacy, but terrible for speed and reliability. VPNs on the other hand are focused on maximum speed and minimum latency for the customers/users. Both are more than good enough unless you have some law enforcement agency trying to pin you down. Use Tor if you only occasionally need a VPN while you look for something you want unconnected with you. (Like self conscious people buying Viagra/Cialis.) Subscribe to a VPN if you want something that is faster, leaner, and can be used without mixing in with a crowd of people trying to cover what they are doing.

Be warned that if you try to purchase things via Tor you are likely getting all your purchase information including payment type logged. On a commercial VPN this cannot really happen since you never handle packets for anyone else.

I should have started this with TL;DR...

Read that post earlier today.. I agree with u.... PIA might not save log's... But they probably can do real time server snooping if they have to in order to protect themselves... Hard sure.. But doable... Does PIA have a backdoor... Not sure... But Google is being force to provide one.. Just imagine the pressure PIA would have once targeted....

GhostfaceKillah 06-03-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

My take as a layman:

Not trying to be a dick, but:
1. You put more trust in other drivers on your daily commute not to kill you.
2. You can choose which servers you use
3. Probably the most common use for VPNs is for people to connect back to their office intranet from home. You think that makes them targets of unwanted attention? To anyone on the outside looking in a VPN is a VPN.
4. Anecdotal, and there could be a whole host of reasons that's worked for you w/o issue so far
5. You don't have to set it up on the router at all if you don't want. You can VPN through an individual machine (and up to 3 devices simultaneously w/ this service). Setting it up on the router lets you get around the 3 device limit, but most people don't want 100% of their traffic going through the VPN all the time. They want to selectively have it on or off for specific devices.
6. There are very simple online checks to confirm whether or not you have DNS leaks

All that being said, if people are thinking they can sign up for this and do really shady illegal shit, they are probably dumb and likely to get caught for other reasons. Give the government a good reason to find you, and they have the manpower to figure it out. For torrents and stuff like that I think it more than covers you.

One of the best use cases for a service like this is getting around mobile phone tethering restrictions. A lot of carriers try to block tethering and enforce it by analyzing your traffic (kind of sketchy in its own right). They can tell pretty easily whether you're actually chewing up data browsing on the phone or using it as a wifi hotspot. Setting your phone up through the VPN is one of the best ways to get around this because it encrypts all your traffic. This doesn't mean you can go downloading 500GB per month without them getting suspicious, but at least they can't snoop your browsing habits, and you can tether to your heart's content.

And like other posters have mentioned it can be worth it simply for getting around country restrictions for online videos and content, which can be especially frustrating to those outside America sometimes. You can also use it to get in on the same Slickdeal multiple times by changing your IP/location effectively. And some people just like the added privacy/anonymity layer of a VPN even if they don't intend to do anything shady with it.

"just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me"

Killerz 06-04-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateinternet (Post 59857876)
Yes, we do have a 7 day money back guarantee.

I asked you if you were going to implement daily/weekly rates during the last deal and you said you were planning on it. What is the status? Are you ever going to offer daily/weekly rates for those of us who just need a quick fix?

zoinks 06-04-2013 12:08 AM

been waiting for this deal to come back. finally signed up. Thanks

OmniNegro 06-04-2013 12:10 AM

Using PIA or not, please favor yourself by using this:
https://www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/

Y314K 06-04-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah (Post 59858018)
You can also use it to get in on the same Slickdeal multiple times by changing your IP/location effectively. And some people just like the added privacy/anonymity layer of a VPN even if they don't intend to do anything shady with it.

I wonder how fast can an IP be changed when u'r on a Router setup... With the software u should be able to just push a button.. But on a router do u just release the IP address and wait... ???

Also... If u send traffic from VPN onto Tor does it keep the VPN's encryption till it gets to where it suppose to... There for getting rid of the Tor problem when it comes out of the exit node un-encrypted from Tor... Will the PIA encryption still be there between Tor and u'r goal...??? ISP 2 VPN 2 Tor...

DeltaMajor156 06-04-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah (Post 59858018)
Not trying to be a dick, but:
1. You put more trust in other drivers on your daily commute not to kill you.
2. You can choose which servers you use
3. Probably the most common use for VPNs is for people to connect back to their office intranet from home. You think that makes them targets of unwanted attention? To anyone on the outside looking in a VPN is a VPN.
4. Anecdotal, and there could be a whole host of reasons that's worked for you w/o issue so far
5. You don't have to set it up on the router at all if you don't want. You can VPN through an individual machine (and up to 3 devices simultaneously w/ this service). Setting it up on the router lets you get around the 3 device limit, but most people don't want 100% of their traffic going through the VPN all the time. They want to selectively have it on or off for specific devices.
6. There are very simple online checks to confirm whether or not you have DNS leaks

All that being said, if people are thinking they can sign up for this and do really shady illegal shit, they are probably dumb and likely to get caught for other reasons. Give the government a good reason to find you, and they have the manpower to figure it out. For torrents and stuff like that I think it more than covers you.

One of the best use cases for a service like this is getting around mobile phone tethering restrictions. A lot of carriers try to block tethering and enforce it by analyzing your traffic (kind of sketchy in its own right). They can tell pretty easily whether you're actually chewing up data browsing on the phone or using it as a wifi hotspot. Setting your phone up through the VPN is one of the best ways to get around this because it encrypts all your traffic. This doesn't mean you can go downloading 500GB per month without them getting suspicious, but at least they can't snoop your browsing habits, and you can tether to your heart's content.

And like other posters have mentioned it can be worth it simply for getting around country restrictions for online videos and content, which can be especially frustrating to those outside America sometimes. You can also use it to get in on the same Slickdeal multiple times by changing your IP/location effectively. And some people just like the added privacy/anonymity layer of a VPN even if they don't intend to do anything shady with it.

Points noted, thanks and repped.

ScorpioRex 06-04-2013 12:16 AM

I am still trying to figure out what the best payment method for this would be. I want to avoid using bitcoins.

superaj123 06-04-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59857890)
With the link between the payment & service sides... The gov or 3rd party would not need an specific IP address... They would just need to request who was accessing PIA at a certain time range at a specific shared IP... They would then have everybody's account sharing that IP... From there since u'r user name & or password can link u to an account... They would just need to find what type of payment u used...Then they can comer over to all the users that where sharing that IP & ask for all u'r devices for them to find who they where looking for.. Sure it's a lot of work.. But it's pretty straight forward... That is why I keep looking for the best possible VPN if I am going to pay for it...

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not very savy with Bitcoins. What is the easiest to setup anonymous payment option?

TIA

Y314K 06-04-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superaj123 (Post 59858214)
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not very savy with Bitcoins. What is the easiest to setup anonymous payment option?

TIA

I am still trying to figure that out myself.... Buying a prepaid credit card that does not require ID or any other info other then the amount on the card would be easier... But u'r on video @ the store...

Bitcoins have become less and less anonymous.... But I plan to email a bitcoin dealer to see what options they offer...

Also searching Ripple....

superaj123 06-04-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59858302)
I am still trying to figure that out myself.... Buying a prepaid credit card that does not require ID or any other info other then the amount on the card would be easier... But u'r on video @ the store...

Bitcoins have become less and less anonymous.... But I plan to email a bitcoin dealer to see what options they offer...

Interesting. I'm wondering how much risk I would be taking for things like downloading with PIA, and not using an anonymous payment method. I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing.

Y314K 06-04-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superaj123 (Post 59858326)
Interesting. I'm wondering how much risk I would be taking for things like downloading with PIA, and not using an anonymous payment method. I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing.

It's not so much what I plan to do or not... Most of us would do a bit of torrenting... But my biggest thing is what's the point of paying for a service that I can get for free at the same risk level....

snowcrash 06-04-2013 12:32 AM

I don't think there is an anonymous way to buy this. You still need to provide an email address. Your IP is logged every time you access that email address. If there is a truely safe way I would like to hear it.

flytahoe 06-04-2013 12:33 AM

Hi, quick question that I haven't seen yet. I'm going to China and would like to know if this particular VPN will work on my laptop so I can access sites like Facebook. Has anyone had any experience with it in China or know of a good VPN for use there?

superaj123 06-04-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59858354)
It's not so much what I plan to do or not... Most of us would do a bit of torrenting... But my biggest thing is what's the point of paying for a service that I can get for free at the same risk level....

Wouldn't that mean going through the trouble of running a dedicated remote machine for the VPN service, which also costs money?

I understand your point. If you're going to pay, get as much anonymity as possible. Traffic -> account -> payment method -> being identified is a risk that exists.

jtspree 06-04-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59858154)
I wonder how fast can an IP be changed when u'r on a Router setup... With the software u should be able to just push a button.. But on a router do u just release the IP address and wait... ???

Also... If u send traffic from VPN onto Tor does it keep the VPN's encryption till it gets to where it suppose to... There for getting rid of the Tor problem when it comes out of the exit node un-encrypted from Tor... Will the PIA encryption still be there between Tor and u'r goal...??? ISP 2 VPN 2 Tor...

A VPN encrypts your data before it gets to your router and is sent through a tunnel and is decrypted after it has arrived. If someone attempts to penetrate the VPN, the tunnel reroutes through alternative access points making it exceptionally difficult to break into.

Your post is all over the place so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Y314K 06-04-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 59858390)
I don't think there is an anonymous way to buy this. You still need to provide an email address. Your IP is logged every time you access that email address. If there is a truly safe way I would like to hear it.

Tor into a Tor like or TorGuard anonymous email or other more secure free emails then hotmail/Yahoo etc... Use that email only for PIA...

Then Tor into PIA with u'r secure email address & sign up to it....

Relative Secure Browser = Tor
Relative Secure Email = TorEmail
Relative Secure signup = PIA
Not sure how secure payment options can be.... Looking the best option now...

DeltaMajor156 06-04-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

I don't think there is an anonymous way to buy this. You still need to provide an email address. Your IP is logged every time you access that email address. If there is a truely safe way I would like to hear it.

use tormail maybe?

edit: oops too late, basically what the guy above said I think

use the tor browser bundle with tormail

WhatsYoFlava 06-04-2013 12:39 AM

https://www.privateinternetaccess...instantly/

Y314K 06-04-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtspree (Post 59858444)
A VPN encrypts your data before it gets to your router and is sent through a tunnel and is decrypted after it has arrived. If someone attempts to penetrate the VPN, the tunnel reroutes through alternative access points making it exceptionally difficult to break into.

Your post is all over the place so I'm not sure what to make of it.

I am talking about the Tor exit note hack.... Once the data goes from u'r exit node on Tor... A dirty exit node can try to log the decrypted info that came out of tor.... I am wondering if said data was first encrypted by PIA.. Then a dirty tor exit node would only see the encrypted PIA traffic come out... At least that is my theory... Trying to verify this from some one that knows more then I on this...

jtspree 06-04-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

First, if you are concerned about the government using your email against you in a court case, you shouldn't be using the same email you use for everything else. Second, learn to encrypt your email. Third, never ever log into your anonymous email account without connecting through a VPN or some other secure way.

As for your question, yes you can pay anonymously. Unfortunately, I'm unwilling to explain the full methods of my secure purchasing (which you aren't going to be willing to do anyway), but I'll get you started. You're going to want to get prepaid Visa check cards. You're also going to have to purchase those anonymously, so get cash.

snowcrash 06-04-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59858456)
Tor into a Tor like or TorGuard anonymous email or other more secure free emails then hotmail/Yahoo etc... Use that email only for PIA...

Then Tor into PIA with u'r secure email address & sign up to it....

Relative Secure Browser = Tor
Relative Secure Email = TorEmail
Relative Secure signup = PIA
Not sure how secure payment options can be.... Looking the best option now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by khorne55 (Post 59858458)
use tormail maybe?

edit: oops too late, basically what the guy above said I think

use the tor browser bundle with tormail

Much, much thanks. I'll go take a look.

Xerloq 06-04-2013 12:46 AM

Not True

Quote:

Originally Posted by khorne55 (Post 59857500)

I just cancelled my $40 account (which expires tomorrow). Here's the note I got:

Quote:

Dear Customer,

This is a verification that your account, p#######, has been cancelled.
It will remain active for the remainder of the period.

We wanted to give you a chance to let us know why you cancelled, so that we can improve our service.
Feel free to enter a short reason for your cancellation at the following URL:

https://www.privateinternetaccess...XX@XXX.XXX

We hope you enjoyed your stay with Private Internet Access, please come back soon!

Thank you,
London Trust Media, Inc. / Private Internet Access

Xerloq 06-04-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytahoe (Post 59858400)
Hi, quick question that I haven't seen yet. I'm going to China and would like to know if this particular VPN will work on my laptop so I can access sites like Facebook. Has anyone had any experience with it in China or know of a good VPN for use there?

I tried using this in China last year. The issue I had was that the internet was spotty, so I never really got online until I went to Hong Kong. I did manage to connect a couple of times though - long enough to get my gmail on my phone.

NotReal 06-04-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 59855066)
why in HELL would you buy speakers that required a driver/network interface???

Why are you quoting me - I don't have network speakers, but I understand the Sonos system is pretty sweet

http://www.sonos.com/shop/

Y314K 06-04-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 59858516)
Much, much thanks. I'll go take a look.

Yeah... rebate cards now have as much info as u'r regular ones... U might as well go into a store that sells prepaid cards without ID before using a rebate card...:look:

Gonna take a nap before continuing on this... lol My typing seems to be getting worst and worst... :sleepy:

BTW, the tutorial on how to buy bitcoins over at PIA is out of date... U can read the comments...

snowcrash 06-04-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59858662)
Yeah... rebate cards now have as much info as u'r regular ones... U might as well go into a store that sells prepaid cards without ID before using a rebate card...:look:

Gonna take a nap before continuing on this... lol My typing seems to be getting worst and worst... :sleepy:

BTW, the tutorial on how to buy bitcoins over at PIA is out of date... U can read the comments...

I definitely appreciate all the answers you provided in this thread. Very helpful.

iMind 06-04-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbueller (Post 59847600)

This thread was started by a Mod and front paged which means there's definitely an affiliate program and SD made arrangements to make a pretty penny of this deal.

c4chomdetta 06-04-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Same here, my download takes about a 30% hit, but my upload is like 300% faster lol.

DareCrow 06-04-2013 02:49 AM

Customer Service has serious attitude issues. Even for $32/year, the poor customer service will ultimately cost you $20 or more in lost time and wasted effort. Buyer be ware.

EDTIVA 06-04-2013 03:38 AM

PIA I have several visa debit giftcards that are getting declined. Any reason why?

prophylaxis 06-04-2013 03:45 AM

just bought this, i have 12 ping, 105.44 DL 36.93 UP, used speedtest.net to the dallas,TX location. nice.

turned it off and i got. 36 ping, DL of 84.01 and an up of 39.40. not sure how i got faster DL but ill take it?
edit
nvm guess it was a one time thing, tried to recreate it with a screen shot but it not hitting 100 anymore. =/

NevesNET 06-04-2013 03:46 AM

Why not just get a VPS and something like OpenVPN...?

I host some sites, ftp server, 100gb cloud storage with samba and openvpn for almost this same price on urlhasbeenblocked ($40/yr)

lenval 06-04-2013 03:47 AM

I really like this VPN! I just got it about a month ago and paid around $40 I think.

Ohh, and I used bitcoins and an anonymous email to purchase.

privateinternet 06-04-2013 04:41 AM

Dear SlickDealers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killerz (Post 59858080)
I asked you if you were going to implement daily/weekly rates during the last deal and you said you were planning on it. What is the status? Are you ever going to offer daily/weekly rates for those of us who just need a quick fix?

We still are planning on it, sorry for the delay!

Quote:

Originally Posted by superaj123 (Post 59858214)

TIA

Try out bitinstant.com or search for "how to buy bitcoins"

Quote:

Please try Tor -> Tormail -> Bitcoin

Quote:

Originally Posted by DareCrow (Post 59859258)
Customer Service has serious attitude issues. Even for $32/year, the poor customer service will ultimately cost you $20 or more in lost time and wasted effort. Buyer be ware.

Do you have a specific example? We absolutely do not wish to have any attitude issues, and any such cases will fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDTIVA (Post 59859450)
PIA I have several visa debit giftcards that are getting declined. Any reason why?

Have you registered them with the provider's website?

Thanks again!

BigBuford 06-04-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateinternet (Post 59859744)
Dear SlickDealers,

Thanks again!

Who is the model on your website, can I contact her privately using your service ? :P ;)
BTW, In 4 year.

Shakes30 06-04-2013 05:13 AM

Be sure to use the DNS Leak protection feature or you will have no protection.

ACAx1985 06-04-2013 06:03 AM

Is it right to say that if you sign up for a VPN, you are simply trusting your VPN provider instead of your ISP to not release your activity to the **AA, FBI, or other authorities?

You buy this with a credit card and you have an account, isn't it all still traceable to you?

adayzdone 06-04-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakes30 (Post 59859920)
Be sure to use the DNS Leak protection feature or you will have no protection.

Use with: http://www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/

sushiserv 06-04-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y314K (Post 59858302)

When did prepaid credit cards require id? I buy visa gift cards and ask they require is a zip code.

pur 06-04-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevesNET (Post 59859490)
Why not just get a VPS and something like OpenVPN...?

I host some sites, ftp server, 100gb cloud storage with samba and openvpn for almost this same price on urlhasbeenblocked ($40/yr)

Provides no anonymity or international routing.

pennywaltz 06-04-2013 06:18 AM

do you offer proxy also? I'm on a computer where I need to use proxy to put in my browser, since I don't want to direct all my traffic into VPN.. but only certain internet traffic

blahbooboo2 06-04-2013 06:25 AM

How can I pay anonymously? Can I buy a Visa gift type card with cash at a store and use that to pay for service? Any other ways to pay anonymously?

adamant 06-04-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennywaltz (Post 59860404)
do you offer proxy also? I'm on a computer where I need to use proxy to put in my browser, since I don't want to direct all my traffic into VPN.. but only certain internet traffic

Looks like socks5 proxy through a netherlands server

kebuchan 06-04-2013 06:49 AM

Going the bitcoin route is going to take a while, probably won't be able to get to it till after work today... when does this offer expire?

tennis8363 06-04-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kebuchan (Post 59860796)
Going the bitcoin route is going to take a while, probably won't be able to get to it till after work today... when does this offer expire?

They said end of the week, plenty of time.

pizzaslut 06-04-2013 07:04 AM

This seems interesting. I understand VPN but the 3rd party aspect is throwing me...

I remote in (RDP) to my home server from various places. Would I now have to VPN in to that server? Because that would limit my options if the remote computer didn't have a VPN client installed.

I have a ASUS RT-AC66R which runs their modified version of DD-WRT and it has a VPN option.

iahawks550 06-04-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointbob (Post 59854920)

Send them via PM to me first. I'll let you know.

fc528e 06-04-2013 07:11 AM

Payed $39 for a year about one month ago. Great service overall, though you may see some hits to down/uploads at peak times (late night usually for me.

aleck 06-04-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACAx1985 (Post 59860248)
Is it right to say that if you sign up for a VPN, you are simply trusting your VPN provider instead of your ISP to not release your activity to the **AA, FBI, or other authorities?

You buy this with a credit card and you have an account, isn't it all still traceable to you?

That's correct. Unlike your ISP, VPN providers are often located overseas and have specific policies regarding destruction of activity logs. You still have to take their word for it. You can pay with PayPal or a prepaid card.

andy4theherd 06-04-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4chomdetta (Post 59859098)
Same here, my download takes about a 30% hit, but my upload is like 300% faster lol.

why does upload speed increase with VPN? and is it a "true" increase or just a false test on speedtest?

I have 15 down 1 up internet. I got in on the free Hotspot Shield deal a few weeks ago. my upload speed tests at 6 up when connected to VPN. without a VPN connection my upload speeds are 1 up 100% of the time.