Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   $19.99 A/R, Ship Extra, WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive and Total Defense Premium Internet Security Bundle (http://slickdeals.net/f/6068694-19-99-a-r-ship-extra-wd-elements-1tb-portable-hard-drive-and-total-defense-premium-internet-security-bundle)

dravid 06-03-2013 05:23 PM

$19.99 A/R, Ship Extra, WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive and Total Defense Premium Internet Security Bundle

2 Attachment(s)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applic...-9044%20TD

After $80 Rebates
$70 rebate [highspeedbackbone.net] + $10 rebate [highspeedbackbone.net] (thanks to bb182 for the extra $10 one)

WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive and Total Defense Premium Internet Security BundleItem#: W10-9044 TD | Model#: WDBPCK0010BBK-NESN Bundle

yuugotserved 06-03-2013 05:23 PM

1TB Western Digital WD Elements SE USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive + Total Defense Premium Internet Security $24 after $80 rebate

1 Attachment(s)
TigerDirect has 1TB Western Digital WD Elements SE USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBPCK0010BBK-NESN) + Total Defense Premium Internet Security Bundle for $100 - $10 WD rebate - $70 Total Defense rebate = $20. Shipping is ~$4 and may vary depending on zip code. Thanks dravid

Note, refer to forum thread for additional details

wikipost 06-03-2013 05:23 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Both rebates are now expired! The $70 rebate link in the OP is an old version of the form that has the incorrect valid through date.
Originally [highspeedbackbone.net] TDI-10224 was valid all month but they changed the end date from 6/30 to 6/6 during the day on 6/5. A new PDF [highspeedbackbone.net] was uploaded and 4MyRebate were updated to reflect this. The PDF linked above is the old version!

Currently Out Of Stock! (as of 11:30AM EST, 6/6).

More Total Defense bundle deals can be found with this search [tigerdirect.com]. Note that they all use the same rebate so you can only get one.

Helpful rebate instructions below

For the $70 rebate:

Activation is required prior to rebate redemption. This will require a valid credit card. A one-year subscription is included so this will not cost extra if you cancel the automatic renewal service.
  1. Activate online [totaldefense.com] or by installing. You card will not be charged but there will be a $1 authorization. During this process you will sign up for their automatic renewal service.
  2. Use the link on your account page to "Cancel Automatic Renewal Service" [totaldefense.com]. Doing this will not impact your rebate. You may receive an error if you try to cancel immediately after activation; try again in 10 minutes.
  3. Submit rebate
    • Double check your activation code when filling out the registration form. They only check the length at this point and a typo may cause your rebate to be denied.
    • Submit your invoice, not packing slip, order confirmation, or the order status page. Your invoice will be available the morning after shipment by following the view invoice link in your order history.
    • "Proof of purchase of Qualifying Bundle purchase" is your invoice showing both items.
  4. Track your rebate:
    • Unlike most other rebates processed by 4MyRebate, you will not receive email updates.
    • You can use the "Check Rebate Status" link in the email titled "Rebate Registration Confirmation".
    • You can also enter your information at totaldefense.4myrebate.com [4myrebate.com]. You cannot track your $70 rebate at www.4myrebate.com.
  5. Receive rebate
  6. One year from activation: subscription automatically expires without additional charges.
Note: If you have a Citi card or Bank of America Card, you can use a virtual card number and set a time/dollar amount limit just to be double-safe they won't be able to charge you when it comes time to renew Total Defense.

CAUTION: Make sure that your product is really activated before sending in the rebate form! I did everything listed in the FAQ, choosing the online activation, but my product was not actually activated (even though they emailed me my activation code). I initially had no intention of actually installing the product, but on a wild hair decided to check it out. Much to my amazement the product was not actually activated and I had to do an online and phone in chat with Total Defense to finally get it activated!

For total defense tracking the link to be followed is https://totaldefense.4myrebate.co...ackaRebate

satanslover 06-03-2013 05:31 PM

Cool, the new month's rebate is in.

gullapu 06-03-2013 05:35 PM

I received the rebate card today for the last months offer. Super fast like any other TD rebate. Got the last one for $14.99 as WD had it's $20 rebate. Great deal.

vmanne 06-03-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gullapu (Post 59852918)
I received the rebate card today for the last months offer. Super fast like any other TD rebate. Got the last one for $14.99 as WD had it's $20 rebate. Great deal.

Could you post the $20 rebate from WD for last month?

dravid 06-03-2013 06:11 PM

what is the catch; why is this so cheap? are there any erroneous conditions to the rebate?

gullapu 06-03-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmanne (Post 59853184)
Could you post the $20 rebate from WD for last month?

Here you go ... http://static.highspeedbackbone.n...8US%29.pdf :wave:

lgxb 06-03-2013 06:11 PM

cool, I wish the $20 wd rebate will show up again.

gullapu 06-03-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dravid (Post 59853560)
what is the catch; why is this so cheap? are there any erroneous conditions to the rebate?

There is none. You need to activate the product and you can cancel it after you rceive the rebate. You won't be charged for the first year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgxb (Post 59853584)
cool, I wish the $20 wd rebate will show up again.

Who doesn't want a $10 external HDD !

lilqpb 06-03-2013 06:16 PM

Do you have to activate the software or subscribe to it of any kind?

vmanne 06-03-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gullapu (Post 59853564)

thanks.i bought in May and rebate was for April month purchases.

coachclass 06-03-2013 06:20 PM

god, these TD rebates are scary as hell.

satanslover 06-03-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Yeah I'm thinking I'll wait until the end of the month just in case there is another killer deal like that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 59853718)
god, these TD rebates are scary as hell.

Maybe in your paranoid mind. I've done 200+ TD rebates and got every last single one, even when I didn't send in the invoice, when my rebates went missing in the mail, when they withdrew the rebate after I registered, and various other problems.

I personally don't like doing any other rebates than TD ones.

bb182 06-03-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilqpb (Post 59853642)
Do you have to activate the software or subscribe to it of any kind?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebate Form
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
The product must be activated prior to rebate redemption. Activation will require a valid credit card however your subscription may be cancelled at
anytime. Total Defense will verify that the product has been activated.

A one-year subscription is included. You need to activate it using a CC, either online [totaldefense.com] or by installing the software. They will do a $1 authorization and sign you up to automatically renew every year. You can cancel the auto-renew "service" immediately after activation without impacting the rebate ("Cancel Automatic Renewal Service" [totaldefense.com] on your account page). Don't try to cancel your subscription (which is not the same as auto-renewal); there's no easy way to do it, it might cause rebate problems, and it's just going to expire anyway.

bb182 06-03-2013 07:36 PM

I don't recommend purchasing this now. It appears that there will be an additional $10 rebate later this week. Of course there is a possibility that they will raise the before rebate price at that time but I don't think it's likely.

effinga 06-03-2013 07:37 PM

TD had a similar rebate bundled with a refurb nexus 7 on 4/26. The rebate is legit. Took about 3 weeks to process the $70 rebate. I was able to use a visa prepaid reward card to register for the software. Canceling is easy to do from your account page.

masashi 06-03-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 59853788)
I personally don't like doing any other rebates than TD ones.

Not even Staples Easy Rebates?

Virbla 06-03-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dravid (Post 59852732)
After $70 Rebate

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applic...-9044%20TD

WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive and Total Defense Premium Internet Security BundleItem#: W10-9044 TD | Model#: WDBPCK0010BBK-NESN Bundle

DO NOT BUY! The rebate never comes! I purchase it but rebate never comes. Other buyer final got the rebates after numerous phone calls and efforts. it is not worth it, believe me, DOT NOT BUY!!

Sriman 06-03-2013 08:20 PM

Pulled the trigger today... Needed the drive before 14th June... cannot wait 1 more week for the additional $10 rebate...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virbla (Post 59855816)
DO NOT BUY! The rebate never comes! I purchase it but rebate never comes. Other buyer final got the rebates after numerous phone calls and efforts. it is not worth it, believe me, DOT NOT BUY!!

Well.. I guess it just depends.. I had done the TigerDirect rebate earlier for $30 and had no problems getting it...

Superocean 06-03-2013 08:21 PM

Total Defense is becoming the new CD music service of the 90s. You forget to cancel or something and end up with renewed service and crap. I got this from staples $50 rebate only because I didn't have to register it but I'll pass on this deal.

Tyler2Tall147 06-03-2013 08:22 PM

Just got my rebate back form that $80 2TB nas from about a month ago. Biting on this, not going to risk waiting since I'm sure it will sell out quick once the other rebate hits.

tooskinneejs 06-03-2013 08:24 PM

It's technically not $29.99 A/R due to shipping costs.

Spkspk 06-03-2013 08:52 PM

Hi, does anyone know if this drive will be accessible from a Samsung Smart TV model no. UN40D6000? This model has three USB 2.0 ports and I am currently using a Seagate 500 GB USB 2.0 hard drive to watch movies. Though USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports in computers/laptops, I am not sure if TV supports the same without any issues.

I chatted with US Samsung support and they did confirm that it will work, but in the UK Samsung site the support person has responded as given below for a E series model. So, if 2012 model (E series) does not support USB 3.0 then it is highly unlikely that 2011 model (D series) will support it.

Has anyone successfully played movies from a USB 3.0 portable hard drive (1TB or 2TB) in Samsung D series Smart TV?

Question from UK Samsung site
=============================
Does the ES model have a problem using USB 3.0 compatible HDDs as with 2010/2011 series? Or is this resolved?
Hi Ian.
We can confirm that our new ES series TV's are not compatible with USB 3.0 HDD's.

http://answers.uk.samsung.com/ans...stions.htm

giggitygoo 06-03-2013 08:59 PM

For those worried about the auto renew, just use a temporary credit card number. Most card issuers have a utility that will generate short term use numbers for you anytime you want. It will expire and be useless by the time they attempt to renew. Not a bad thing to do even if you plan on canceling the auto renew.

zea 06-03-2013 09:06 PM

I am a little hesitant to get this, and slowest shipping is another $7. May wait for another rebate to stack if possible.

bb182 06-03-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zea (Post 59856602)
I am a little hesitant to get this, and slowest shipping is another $7. May wait for another rebate to stack if possible.

Unless you're in some strange place econo shipping should be about $4.10. If you only see ground shipping as an option (typically ~$7.14) then you need to put your address on one line for their system to detect it as a residential address. Definitely wait until Wednesday though.

Moooshe 06-03-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Super fast like any other TD rebate.

Not very fast in my case... They received my documents 5 weeks ago and I haven't heard a word since. Other rebates get approved in 2-3 weeks max. I just hope it comes as many other people complain about getting rejected for no reason

satanslover 06-03-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virbla (Post 59855816)

The only reason you wouldn't get this rebate is if you have some sort of disability that stops you from following simple instructions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooshe (Post 59856750)
Not very fast in my case... They received my documents 5 weeks ago and I haven't heard a word since. Other rebates get approved in 2-3 weeks max. I just hope it comes as many other people complain about getting rejected for no reason

Check the status using the link in the confirmation.

kris259 06-03-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooshe (Post 59856750)

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 59857836)
The only reason you wouldn't get this rebate is if you have some sort of disability that stops you from following simple instructions.

I think the confusion comes from total defense is sketchy in the fact that people have reported that they dont report the activation asap or at all to tigerdirects 100% reliable rebate service...so if they dont do their job tiger cant send you the rebate asap like the always do.. and many people report having to call and call and call even though they did 100% to the letter (we are talking rebate connoisseurs here) what is required...so if you have to jump through hoops to get your rebate...is it really reliable... do you want a "crap shoot" rebate ???? ive been tempted..but luckily other rebate experts convinced me to pass..

satanslover 06-04-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 59858556)
I think the confusion comes from total defense is sketchy in the fact that people have reported that they dont report the activation asap or at all to tigerdirects 100% reliable rebate service...so if they dont do their job tiger cant send you the rebate asap like the always do.. and many people report having to call and call and call even though they did 100% to the letter (we are talking rebate connoisseurs here) what is required...so if you have to jump through hoops to get your rebate...is it really reliable... do you want a "crap shoot" rebate ???? ive been tempted..but luckily other rebate experts convinced me to pass..

As I said, if you can't follow instructions then don't do this rebate. What you're saying about TD activations is BS because when you activate it you get an email confirmation which is proof of your activation. You then send this in with the rebate. You use the same email for the activation as you do for your rebate registration. So you have proof of purchase (the invoice or packing slip), proof of possession (the UPC) and proof of registration (the email). Pretty simple.

How exactly are they going to make you jump through hoops if you have documentation for all their requirements? TigerDIrect even has a rebate guarantee where they will pay the rebate if you have problems as long as submitted the rebate on time.

If you don't like the rebate that's fine, but the "rebate experts" you are talking about are just idiots who are making people paranoid for no reason and making them miss out on a great deal.

kris259 06-04-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 59858964)
As I said, if you can't follow instructions then don't do this rebate. What you're saying about TD activations is BS because when you activate it you get an email confirmation which is proof of your activation. You then send this in with the rebate. You use the same email for the activation as you do for your rebate registration. So you have proof of purchase (the invoice or packing slip), proof of possession (the UPC) and proof of registration (the email). Pretty simple.

How exactly are they going to make you jump through hoops if you have documentation for all their requirements? TigerDIrect even has a rebate guarantee where they will pay the rebate if you have problems as long as submitted the rebate on time.

If you don't like the rebate that's fine, but the "rebate experts" you are talking about are just idiots who are making people paranoid for no reason and making them miss out on a great deal.

I am just relaying what other experts have said (and these guys have done THOUSANDS of rebates between them)... and then I hear a few stories of regular joe rebaters also having trouble... so I have decided to stay away.. personal choice... rebates is all about risk and reward...so if you have been successful, then great.. more rewards for you...

Oldmcroxxorz 06-04-2013 02:39 AM

Eh... some may be paranoid, but I sure as heck am not....
And I know for a fact I would never get the rebate money back. Done over 2 dozen rebate deals with TD, have yet to see a penny back. Screw them. (And calling never helped just got issue escalated with their support people or they give you some BS run-around.)

nebody00 06-04-2013 02:47 AM

Did the rebate for the i5-3570k deal with the total defense for $70. Sent in paperwork and they got it on 5/7/13, approved on 5/31/13, and rebate was sent 6/1/13.

bb182 06-04-2013 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmcroxxorz (Post 59859456)
And I know for a fact I would never get the rebate money back. Done over 2 dozen rebate deals with TD, have yet to see a penny back. Screw them. (And calling never helped just got issue escalated with their support people or they give you some BS run-around.)

If by TD you mean Tiger Direct, then you are doing something very wrong.

Oldmcroxxorz 06-04-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59859548)
If by TD you mean Tiger Direct, then you are doing something very wrong.

Nothing at all, they even told me themselves. They're the ones with the run-arounds. I get rebates from everyone else except them (when I was trying to use their rebates that is since I haven't used them in a long while).

Heck at one point I think it was either ASUS or PNY, that I got sick of dealing with TD and called manufacturer to complain and even THEY told me to not bother with TD because they keep getting complaints about rebates (and they actually fulfilled it since TD wouldn't and I had followed all the steps).

dsllsk 06-04-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59856708)
Definitely wait until Wednesday though.

BTW, where is that additional $10 rebate going to appear tomorrow?
Is it expected to show up on same bundle page?

in_awe 06-04-2013 06:12 AM

Can you do multiple rebates for the same Total Defense product within a year? I got in on a free $10 Newegg gift card with Total Defense deal a couple of months ago and recently received the rebate. I'm wondering if that means I can't do another Total Defense rebate until the subscription year passes.

zea 06-04-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59856708)
Unless you're in some strange place econo shipping should be about $4.10. If you only see ground shipping as an option (typically ~$7.14) then you need to put your address on one line for their system to detect it as a residential address. Definitely wait until Wednesday though.

Thanks for this - I hadn't put in my address yet so I only had the $7+ option. I'll be waiting until tomorrow and then get this either way. Thanks!

Moooshe 06-04-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 59857836)

I'm doing that every day. Status hasn't changed since April.

ciris 06-04-2013 08:08 AM

Will check back tomorrow

bb182 06-04-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmcroxxorz (Post 59859674)
Nothing at all, they even told me themselves. They're the ones with the run-arounds. I get rebates from everyone else except them (when I was trying to use their rebates that is since I haven't used them in a long while).

Heck at one point I think it was either ASUS or PNY, that I got sick of dealing with TD and called manufacturer to complain and even THEY told me to not bother with TD because they keep getting complaints about rebates (and they actually fulfilled it since TD wouldn't and I had followed all the steps).

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about back then. If you haven't heard Tiger Direct rebates are now extremely reliable and have a quick turnaround. I've gotten some back in as little as two weeks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsllsk (Post 59861044)
BTW, where is that additional $10 rebate going to appear tomorrow?
Is it expected to show up on same bundle page?

It will show up on the product page for the drive. Not sure if it will be on the bundle page but you will have everything necessary to submit it anyway. I'll post it here sometime today.
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_awe (Post 59861116)
Can you do multiple rebates for the same Total Defense product within a year? I got in on a free $10 Newegg gift card with Total Defense deal a couple of months ago and recently received the rebate. I'm wondering if that means I can't do another Total Defense rebate until the subscription year passes.

As long as it's a different offer number (which it is).
Quote:

Originally Posted by zea (Post 59861140)
Thanks for this - I hadn't put in my address yet so I only had the $7+ option. I'll be waiting until tomorrow and then get this either way. Thanks!

It might be your location in that case. Normally econo ship is available in the cart and then it disappears after you enter your multi-line address during checkout.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooshe (Post 59862134)

The order in which 4MyRebate does approvals makes about as much sense as the order in which TD fulfills orders. Occasionally a rebate seems to get stuck but they do clear them out periodically. I've had a rebate or two (out of more than 100) get stuck in the documentation received state for as long as 6 weeks.

robinski_ 06-04-2013 11:11 AM

I do 1k+ rebates/year

totaldefense rebates are 110% garbage, expect to call them and having to fax in copies of your submission

2/3 of my claims were denied on first submission, UPC label is printed on the cheapest thermal labels out there and will fade completely after 1 scan

satanslover 06-04-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooshe (Post 59862134)

Then ring them.

satanslover 06-04-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinski_ (Post 59870806)
I do 1k+ rebates/year

totaldefense rebates are 110% garbage, expect to call them and having to fax in copies of your submission

2/3 of my claims were denied on first submission, UPC label is printed on the cheapest thermal labels out there and will fade completely after 1 scan

You're not talking about TigerDirect's processor, you're talking about TotalDefence's processor, right?

robinski_ 06-04-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 59871870)
You're not talking about TigerDirect's processor, you're talking about TotalDefence's processor, right?

It's the same processor as in this deal "4myrebate", same people who process all TD rebates, yet with 100% success rate on those (50+ done so far) total def = 1/3 success rate

ianko66 06-04-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

I do 1k+ rebates/year

Take a picture of the label with your phone or something then.

bb182 06-04-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

I do 1k+ rebates/year

When were those? My black friday one seemed stuck but other than that I haven't had any problems. I called them after 6 weeks in documentation received and they connected me to a guy from Total Defense who approved it without any hassle. Since then I've submitted 5 more and received all of them without any problems whatsoever.

For Tiger Direct rebates in general I've only had two problems out of 100+. In both of those cases the UPCs on the items didn't match the forms.

Not sure what kind of shitty label they sent you but all of mine show up in their scans as well as any other UPC.

ianko66 06-04-2013 12:53 PM

Has anyone ever had issues with cancelling the Total Defense stuff/having it continue?

mky 06-04-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

It's kind of weird that some of you feel you need to sell, even over-sell, these rebates and dismiss every incident/concern as attached to idiots, or the past. Maybe that's a reaction to some of the reflexive Tiger rebate bashers who can't let go of old grudges or even acknowledge things are different, or to the angriest of the Total Defense critics who experienced the black hole "automatic" rebates that are/were advertised as payable upon activation -- those are different rebates which are far worse to contend with. Why are these rebates offered and bundled this way -- they are hoping some sizable portion of us don't receive our rebates (the usual forgetters who can't be bothered to send in forms, others who may be intimidated by the activation requirements and others who may not follow up on a stuck rebate) or that we'll forget to cancel the auto-subscription or not realize we've been charged even if we have. As I mentioned in an earlier post in a different thread in response to one of your posts, I would consider doing another one of these TD activation rebates if the right offer came along -- since in my experience Total Defense is sleazy but not a deadbeat and the rebate processor is extremely good and reliable -- so long as I took the precautions I've learned are necessary/important to avoid problems and delays such as using a temporary CC or pre-paid debit card (my credit card was charged renewal subscription fees for 2 separate Total Defense software products even though I had cancelled my subscriptions on those products within a few months of enrollment -- getting those charges reversed took several phone calls w/ 45 minute hold times). As far as having that activation printout -- that does you no good in the initial round of rebate submissions since Tiger cannot validate your activation/compliance off that printout - only the manuf can green light your compliance. And, as I've experienced, that process can get stuck -- and require you to intercede to push things along. Though I agree with you that you will get your rebate so long as you follow the terms and are willing to put in the time/effort that may become necessary to push things thru or reverse credit card charges. Some of those problems may not occur -- and given your recent experience and that of others like bb182, the process seems to be working better and more efficiently. These are good deals for someone who knows the angles, how to avoid pitfalls and stay on top of the process. But it's certainly not for everyone and not all critics are imbeciles or living in the past (some get stuck in the past...others have more recent, valid concerns).

ianko66 06-04-2013 01:50 PM

@mky You seem to know a lot about how these rebates work. What exactly happens once we get the products? Activating the software requires the credit card, right, and In that case using a prepaid card would be the logical thing to do. But is there anything more to that besides having the rebate get stuck?

satanslover 06-04-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinski_ (Post 59872754)
It's the same processor as in this deal "4myrebate", same people who process all TD rebates, yet with 100% success rate on those (50+ done so far) total def = 1/3 success rate

So not buying from TigerDirect, even with the same processor, those Total Defence rebates are difficult to get? That's interesting.

Moooshe 06-04-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianko66 (Post 59875184)
@mky You seem to know a lot about how these rebates work. What exactly happens once we get the products? Activating the software requires the credit card, right, and In that case using a prepaid card would be the logical thing to do. But is there anything more to that besides having the rebate get stuck?

Cancel the automatic renewal, otherwise it will renew every year.

bb182 06-04-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

I put some steps in the wiki earlier that might help. If you want to see the registration form you can click through the first link. It only has one screen.

xman099 06-04-2013 02:10 PM

Got $70 rebate yesterday for other Total Defense deal without any problems. (http://slickdeals.net/f/5977622-FREE-AR-Centon-DataStick-Rush-64GB-USB-Flash-Drive-and-Total-Defense-Premium-Internet-Security-Bundle), I can't believe some mean guys gave that OP thumb down.

kumo 06-04-2013 02:53 PM

Does anyone know how to resume a 4myrebate rebate application? I was registering, but didn't realize it needed an activation code right away, so I stopped. Got a tracking number from the partial registration, but the resume link in the email didn't work.

Freak4Dell 06-04-2013 02:57 PM

Sounds like a good deal, but I'll wait and see if the additional rebate comes in.

bb182 06-04-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumo (Post 59876618)
Does anyone know how to resume a 4myrebate rebate application? I was registering, but didn't realize it needed an activation code right away, so I stopped. Got a tracking number from the partial registration, but the resume link in the email didn't work.

The resume link normally works but I do remember someone else having trouble with it. You can just register again. The first one won't be counted against you.

kumo 06-04-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59876898)
The resume link normally works but I do remember someone else having trouble with it. You can just register again. The first one won't be counted against you.

I'll just register again later then. Thanks!

mky 06-04-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

I think bb182 and satanslover have the angles down....they have done many of these bundle rebates recently and should be able to help steer you thru this. The software package comes w/ instructions for installing the software but the wiki instructions are straightforward and I would follow them. At the end of the process, you will have a Total Defense account that shows your software subscription(s) and gives you the option to change/cancel auto-enrollments. For my most recent activation rebates, I waited to terminate the renewal option until my rebates were approved (prior to that, I cancelled almost immediately). As far as payment method, I tried using a number of pre-paid Amex cards that I received thru Tiger deals (and maybe even a Serve card) and none of them worked (they had varying balances ranging from zero to $20 or $25). After these failed efforts, I used a credit card which sailed right thru. I don't know whether there's a problem using Amex rebate cards or rebate/debit cards in general or whether it was just a glitch I encountered. Satanslover suggested I use a virtual CC but I'd want to investigate whether those are fullproof enough to avoid potential billing issues and whether other (non-Amex) pre-paid cards like Visa from a Staples or Newegg rebate deal work. As far as your rebate getting stuck pending validation, it's a manageable problem -- make sure you have proof of activation (whether an email or screenshot) and give the rebate company a call if the rebate doesn't progress from received to approval status w/i 4-6 weeks -- it took several phone calls on my part (the first time I called, they put me on hold and spoke to Total Defense who alerted them there was a glitch in the validation process that would be straightened out w/i 72 hours; it wasn't - I called back 2 wks later and was told there was a backlog and it would be approved in 48 hrs; it wasn't and I called back and was told there was a glitch; my last call was w/ a supervisor about 1 month after my 1st call who apologized and took care of it). The process others are describing indicates improvements have been made. Just stay on top of things.

bb182 06-04-2013 07:22 PM

Additional $10 MIR [highspeedbackbone.net]

Valid 6/5 to 6/6 (eastern time). Limit 1.

This should appear on the product page for the drive [tigerdirect.com] at midnight ET. With any luck it will also appear on the bundle page [tigerdirect.com]. Please note that TD's clock is sometimes slow by a minute or two so don't try to order right at midnight.

As with other new rebate offers, registration on 4MyRebate will not be available until 5am ET.

ianko66 06-04-2013 09:06 PM

Time to bite...

bb182 06-04-2013 09:07 PM

:bump:
Both rebates are listed on the bundle page [tigerdirect.com]

$99.99 - $70 MIR - $10 MIR = $19.99 + S/H

thedtpkid 06-04-2013 09:22 PM

pull the trigger

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59883238)
:bump:
Both rebates are listed on the bundle page [tigerdirect.com]

$99.99 - $70 MIR - $10 MIR = $19.99 + S/H

had to pull the trigger, holla!

mystwu2 06-04-2013 09:29 PM

Forgive me~I am NEW!

Am I reading it wrong about the $70 and $10 rebates?

It seems like both rebates require the "Original UPC Barcode Label".

How many Original UPC Barcode Label(s) do I get from this combo deal? Just one right? How do I do 2 rebates?

bb182 06-04-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystwu2 (Post 59883620)
Forgive me~I am NEW!

Am I reading it wrong about the $70 and $10 rebates?

It seems like both rebates require the "Original UPC Barcode Label".

How many Original UPC Barcode Label(s) do I get from this combo deal? Just one right? How do I do 2 rebates?

The $70 rebate requires the Total Defense UPC (and you must activate, etc). The $10 rebate requires the UPC from the drive.

mystwu2 06-04-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59883686)
The $70 rebate requires the Total Defense UPC (and you must activate, etc). The $10 rebate requires the UPC from the drive.

Thanks for the info. This helps a lot. I m in for one with my ShopDiscover 5% cashback from TigerDirect. =D

LonelyHiker 06-04-2013 09:55 PM

Still haven't received my $70 Total Defense rebate from April, has been stuck in "Processing" status for nearly 6 weeks.

Was from this deal: http://slickdeals.net/f/5989094-ASUS-Google-Nexus-7-Android-4-1-8GB-WiFi-Refurbished-Tablet-and-Total-Defense-Premium-Internet-Security-Bundle-only-99-99-AR

dmfrontline 06-04-2013 09:56 PM

My total ended up being $111.48 after stupid taxes. Still comes out to about $32 AR. Awesome deal! Thanks a bunch.

ztide 06-04-2013 10:07 PM

is there any free shipping coupons?
otherwise it is an extra $4

bb182 06-04-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztide (Post 59884168)
is there any free shipping coupons?
otherwise it is an extra $4

Nope. I can't recall them ever having one either.

dmfrontline 06-04-2013 10:16 PM

Why in the world is a $60 HD on the front page but this $20 one isn't?

captainmccool 06-04-2013 10:20 PM

Ahhh, tempting. Reaaaallllyyy hate dealing with rebates but this may be too good to pass on.

CDop 06-04-2013 10:22 PM

Nom Nom Nom

Burp.

qsilvertwo 06-04-2013 10:28 PM

I've never done a TD rebate before. They issue prepaid cards and not checks, right?

bb182 06-04-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qsilvertwo (Post 59884430)
I've never done a TD rebate before. They issue prepaid cards and not checks, right?

These are both prepaid AMEX cards. You can cash them out by calling the number on the back and requesting a refund by check or ACH. The stated turnaround is 20 business days for a check and 15 for ACH. Lately ACH has been taking 10.

BigFoig 06-04-2013 10:43 PM

so how to bypass one per household/billing? dont want to risk with big rebate

khalid7412002 06-04-2013 10:55 PM

So the steps outlined in the WiKi are still required for the $70 rebate correct? And the second rebate is completed like a normal rebate I assume? Thanks for the great deal and thanks to those who posted the new $10 rebate as well

JaTaN 06-04-2013 11:08 PM

Thanks -- in for 1

$111.48 w/ tax & s/h - $5 shop discover - $80 rebates = $26.48

rustum 06-04-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFoig (Post 59884614)
so how to bypass one per household/billing? dont want to risk with big rebate

MIR address should match your billing address for one of the rebate.

Genius4sho 06-04-2013 11:23 PM

Nice deal, I got it for $9.39! No taxes and like $4 shipping for me. I had a $10 TD gift card from a mistake that they made and I used 5% cashback. A 1TB drive for $9.39! :laugh: WIN!

silentalarm 06-04-2013 11:32 PM

It's still 6/4 on the west coast. will that affect the $10 rebate? I'd rather not wait 30 min. :)

mattzane227 06-04-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genius4sho (Post 59885000)
Nice deal, I got it for $9.39! No taxes and like $4 shipping for me. I had a $10 TD gift card from a mistake that they made and I used 5% cashback. A 1TB drive for $9.39! :laugh: WIN!

Where did you get 5% cashback at?

Genius4sho 06-04-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattzane227 (Post 59885076)
Where did you get 5% cashback at?

--->Upromise<---- me ya'll do it? If I tell you? Upromise me?

haha :P

TDMVP73 06-04-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentalarm (Post 59885072)
It's still 6/4 on the west coast. will that affect the $10 rebate? I'd rather not wait 30 min. :)

No, it will not the affect the $10 rebate.

TigerDirect's ordering system operates on Eastern Daylight Time, so it's ~2:37 AM on 06/05/13 according to the server that will take your order.

Your order confirmation will show that time as well.

ek9cv5 06-04-2013 11:43 PM

Sigh, why not in for 1.

mattzane227 06-04-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genius4sho (Post 59885118)
--->Upromise<---- me ya'll do it? If I tell you? Upromise me?

haha :P

so you can get a check and spend it on whatever you want with Upromise?

Genius4sho 06-04-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattzane227 (Post 59885252)
so you can get a check and spend it on whatever you want with Upromise?

iPromise you! :nod:

silentalarm 06-04-2013 11:56 PM

In for 1 .. thanks OP!

kris259 06-05-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDMVP73 (Post 59885128)
No, it will not the affect the $10 rebate.

TigerDirect's ordering system operates on Eastern Daylight Time, so it's ~2:37 AM on 06/05/13 according to the server that will take your order.

Your order confirmation will show that time as well.

what are you doing in here? you in on this? :shake::D

TDMVP73 06-05-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 59885342)

No, but I think you should be the guinea pig. You do need an external hard drive after all. ;)

kris259 06-05-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDMVP73 (Post 59885368)
No, but I think you should be the guinea pig. You do need an external hard drive after all. ;)

its just like last time when I had a little extra money from flipping...so if it got lost in the "rebate black hole" never to be be approved, then I really am not out any of my own money...:lol:

yeah this 1TB would tide me over as an extra backup till BF/CM $99 4TB deals

mattzane227 06-05-2013 12:11 AM

Wanted this for an xbox 360 but apparently this drive can't be removed from the case.

TDMVP73 06-05-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 59885386)
its just like last time when I had a little extra money from flipping...so if it got lost in the "rebate black hole" never to be be approved, then I really am not out any of my own money...:lol:

yeah this 1TB would tide me over as an extra backup till BF/CM $99 4TB deals

Well, if you trust satanslover and bb182, they have defended Total Defense rebates as reliable. I guess it's worth a shot... I don't even think my warehouse pricing can beat $15 AR ACB... considering I'd have to ship it to you. :lol:

mattzane227 06-05-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDMVP73 (Post 59885410)
Well, if you trust satanslover and bb182, they have defended Total Defense rebates as reliable. I guess it's worth a shot... I don't even think my warehouse pricing can beat $15 AR ACB... considering I'd have to ship it to you. :lol:

Who wouldn't trust someone named satanslover?

TDMVP73 06-05-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattzane227 (Post 59885456)

Jesus?

:groupwav:

kris259 06-05-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

post of the week!

mky 06-05-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushiserv (Post 59885546)
Block of text. Block of text. TRUNCATE THIS SHIT PLEASE. Or use that nifty enter/return key for the love of shit PLEASE.

Thanks for the tips.

sushiserv 06-05-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mky (Post 59885610)
Thanks for the tips.

\I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but that was a gigantic block of text -- I'd like to read what you have to say, especially in a rebate forum, but yo. Block of text.

satanslover 06-05-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

You can talk, you're called mattzane227!

Anyway, more seriously, I'm not asking anyone to trust me. I'm just laying out an argument as to why this rebate should be rock solid, and I've added that I've had no problems claiming it each month, and have many other people. Most people quoting problems seem to be talking about rebates directly with Total Defense themselves, or dealing with TigerDirect years ago when they were shonky and before they were sued for their bogus rebates.

Here's a summary of what I do:

- I install and activate the software (uninstalling the previous installation first if required)
- I use a unique email address for each activation. This keeps it simple in terms of managing the software account and avoids any possible issues with multiple activations, which I don't think are a problem anyway.
- I generate a virtual credit card number (available from BofA, Discover, Citibank and possibly others) with a maximum value of $5. There is a $1 temp charge that gets applied to the account when you activate. I will close the card after I have canceled the renewal. They have no possible way of charging me for a renewal.
- I register the rebate online using the email address I used to activate the software
- I print out the activation email which proves I activated the software to include in the rebate
- I include the UPC and invoice, sign the form etc and make copies. If the rebate processor doesn't get the rebate before the cutoff date, I ring up so I can resubmit the copies.

Yes, it's extra work compared to a normal rebate, but I'm paying $14 AR ACB + a stamp for 1TB portable, so I'm ok with that.

If someone can tell me where exactly I can lose out, I'd love to hear it, but please, a concrete argument, not some BS about how "rebate experts who have done thousands of rebates" say it's not on.

BigFoig 06-05-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustum (Post 59884996)
MIR address should match your billing address for one of the rebate.

so how do people usually have many cards with diff address? own multiple properties from slickdealing?!:woot:

i use mine for the FAR rat 3 mouse lol

satanslover 06-05-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mky (Post 59874504)
It's kind of weird that some of you feel you need to sell, even over-sell, these rebates and dismiss every incident/concern as attached to idiots, or the past.

I'm not trying to sell the rebates at all, I just think it's a great deal and that people are being irrational . And you may be shocked to find out, but this website is all about the best deals.

I've read the posts against this rebate and that what they seem to boil down to is: some other rebates, TigerDirect long ago, or people who are just incapable or paranoid. I've yet to hear a cogent argument against.

Why don't you ask yourself this question: Why are the people who don't like this rebate so vehemently against it, not having a convincing argument, instead resorting to emotional pleas and fuzzy claims?

In another deal, I got $740 for 51,000 Amex points, a great deal, but to get that I had to hand over the sign on to my online Amex account. I checked out the guy who buys the points, I read comments by other people who had good experiences, found no-one who had a bad experience, I called him on the phone to get his measure and I set up a separate Amex login so he could do little else other than transfer points. I understood why he needed the account access and actually thought it was the best way. He transfered me the money immediately on receiving the account details and verifying the points availability and the transaction was smooth as silk.

Yet people in the forums claim that people like me are stupid for handing over their login details, and I'm sure you'll concur. But why exactly is it stupid? The guy was legit, there was little actual risks (if he stiffed me a simple call to Amex would have got my points back) and I got top dollar for my points, but people, irrationally, without an explanation, think that handing over access to your account is the stupidest thing on earth.

I guess the problem is that I'm just a rational person :lol:

TwistedMartini 06-05-2013 03:22 AM

Use a rebate card that you received from something else to activate the software. By the time they renew, the card will be long gone ...

Solver 06-05-2013 03:50 AM

Both rebates say they require the original UPC, how are we supposed to do that?

2Eight0 06-05-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solver (Post 59886510)

:facepalm2:
I would probably start by looking at the pictures on the rebate forms. one form is for the software which has a upc, the other is for the HD it also has a upc. Thats 2 upc's for 2 rebates. Conviently the software upc also tells you the sku of the upc.
These will also have to be mailed in seperate envelopes since they are going to two diffrent addresses

AriBluer 06-05-2013 04:59 AM

In the event of an emergency my ass can be used as a flotation device oops lol can someone tell me how my laptop will function with one of these drives (after popping out of enclosure and replace laptops)

helloha1 06-05-2013 05:03 AM

I'm confused why everyone normally hates total defense bundles and downvotes like crazy yet this Is FP...

gullapu 06-05-2013 05:31 AM

Western Digital WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive and Total Defense Premium Internet Security Bundle $19.99AR+sh @tigerDirect

65534 Attachment(s)
The monthly Total Defense bundle deals are back on TigerDirect !.:bounce:

Product Link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applic...No=7894423

Total defense Rebate Link http://static.highspeedbackbone.n...0%20US.PDF

Valid 06/01/2013 - 06/30/2013
This rebate MUST be postmarked within 30 days of purchase.
This rebate is in USD currency and may be paid with a prepaid reward card.
NOTICE: Limit (1) ONE rebate per person, billing address, company, or household

Western Digital Rebate Link http://static.highspeedbackbone.n...20(US).pdf

Valid 06/05/2013 - 06/06/2013
This rebate MUST be postmarked within 30 days of purchase.
This rebate is in USD currency and may be paid with a prepaid reward card.
NOTICE: Limit (1) ONE rebate per person, billing address, company, or household

turuncu 06-05-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59881262)
Additional $10 MIR [highspeedbackbone.net]

Valid 6/5 to 6/6 (eastern time). Limit 1.

This should appear on the product page for the drive [tigerdirect.com] at midnight ET. With any luck it will also appear on the bundle page [tigerdirect.com]. Please note that TD's clock is sometimes slow by a minute or two so don't try to order right at midnight.

As with other new rebate offers, registration on 4MyRebate will not be available until 5am ET.

Never mind. I saw my question was answered at least 3 times.

tennis8363 06-05-2013 05:46 AM

Yuck another Total Defense rebate.

2Eight0 06-05-2013 05:52 AM

heres 8 pages on this already.
http://slickdeals.net/f/6068694-19-99-A-R-Ship-Extra-WD-Elements-1TB-Portable-Hard-Drive-and-Total-Defense-Premium-Internet-Security-Bundle

Solver 06-05-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Eight0 (Post 59886992)
:facepalm2:
I would probably start by looking at the pictures on the rebate forms. one form is for the software which has a upc, the other is for the HD it also has a upc. Thats 2 upc's for 2 rebates. Conviently the software upc also tells you the sku of the upc.
These will also have to be mailed in seperate envelopes since they are going to two diffrent addresses

OMG, how did I miss that, of course! Sorry for the stupid question, definitely a facepalm move! :O

digitalwei 06-05-2013 06:38 AM

Too lazy to check if anyone has mentioned this, but there's no free shipping, so for me total AR is $24.05. Still a huge deal. Thanks slickdeals!!

michaelknight 06-05-2013 08:36 AM

Good find. Thanks OP

ToadKilla 06-05-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalwei (Post 59888530)
Too lazy to check if anyone has mentioned this, but there's no free shipping, so for me total AR is $24.05. Still a huge deal. Thanks slickdeals!!

Definately too lazy. Thread SUBJECT line says "Ship Extra"

HJM 06-05-2013 09:40 AM

Has anyone successfully received a rebate by activating online at the website in the wiki but NOT actually installed the software? It would be ideal to just activate online without an install.

freejus 06-05-2013 10:01 AM

snagged one

JaTaN 06-05-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solver (Post 59886510)

Even though the website says bundle, its not an actual bundle -- your invoice will show each item separately and they'll ship both HD & software in their regular retail packaging

My order status shows:
1 W10-9044
WD Elements SE 1TB USB 3.0 portable hard drive $70.15 $70.15
Not yet shipped.

1 TD12-2014
Total Defense Premium ISS Bundle E $29.84 $29.84
Not yet shipped.

thumper1 06-05-2013 11:21 AM

Thanks and repped. $20 for an external hard drive is a good deal.

raregamer 06-05-2013 11:53 AM

Hopefully this works a little complicated looking, shipping is a killer though as well.

ztide 06-05-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriBluer (Post 59887012)
In the event of an emergency my ass can be used as a flotation device oops lol can someone tell me how my laptop will function with one of these drives (after popping out of enclosure and replace laptops)

can't pop out enclosure.
USB is soldered directly to drive so no SATA connector- which sucks
I don't understand what WD was thinking....

prashanthm 06-05-2013 03:15 PM

Ordered early morning today. shipped via UPS basic....

ChadS1054 06-05-2013 03:30 PM

just want to confirm this isnt an instant rebate and i actually have to pay the full price first

gfx2 06-05-2013 03:30 PM

good find OP, rep'd.. didnt get one because 1. I dont need and 2. i am miffed with tigerdirect because they didnt "honor" my last night's order of the FREE TP-link adapters :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadS1054 (Post 59902088)
just want to confirm this isnt an instant rebate and i actually have to pay the full price first

that's right, this aint staples, u have to pay 100 bucks + ship

fuzzyfacedog 06-05-2013 03:41 PM

Hope it doesn't sell out before they ship.

Got the big combo deal on a tablet, which ended up being around $24.

Great deal on this if it comes thru for $25 for a 1TB portable WD drive.

Thx op!

riverstyxxx 06-05-2013 03:42 PM

An $80 rebate from TD? Buyer beware, dude..They've been sued for rebate fraud by god knows how many states.

TofuVic 06-05-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 59885342)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDMVP73 (Post 59885368)

I would feel so much safer if TDMVP73 would just say he approves of this deal.

Do you think the rebates will work perfectly, TDMVP73? Whether I go in on this deal or not is in your hands.

Tofu Vic

MazdaMP 06-05-2013 03:50 PM

FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE:

I have done 2 of the TD / Total Defense rebates and both of them showed up as prmised

MikeHN92 06-05-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverstyxxx (Post 59902280)
An $80 rebate from TD? Buyer beware, dude..They've been sued for rebate fraud by god knows how many states.

I am hoping that they honor this... Technically they're two separate rebates I realized as I was checking out. $10 rebate for the WD external hdd and $70 rebate for the total defense anti-virus. I guess we will see, cause I know they had a big number of complaints from many people on a deal a while ago where they were offering a $20 rebate on a verbatim mouse costing $15.

jenarch 06-05-2013 03:51 PM

Great deal! I'm currently a grad student in a program that is completely online, and I need backup space to store all of my work and course materials after they are done.

jaybot31k 06-05-2013 03:52 PM

oof. out of stock.

Banter 06-05-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJM (Post 59892674)
Has anyone successfully received a rebate by activating online at the website in the wiki but NOT actually installed the software? It would be ideal to just activate online without an install.

Yes. No install for me. Got my $70 reward card a couple of days ago for doing the TD bundle with 3570K processor from about 6 weeks ago.

mrkiki911 06-05-2013 03:57 PM

grr i hate rebates

leonhearts 06-05-2013 04:00 PM

deal dead i guess ? i can't even open TD webpage

okinawanmatt 06-05-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 59859004)
I am just relaying what other experts have said (and these guys have done THOUSANDS of rebates between them)... and then I hear a few stories of regular joe rebaters also having trouble... so I have decided to stay away.. personal choice... rebates is all about risk and reward...so if you have been successful, then great.. more rewards for you...

To clear up the confusion, the rebate issues with TotalDefense arises from the rebates they offered from 2009 to mid-2012. Their system was archaic (physical filing of forms rather than digital/electronic), and they did not have an automated acknowledgement for activation or rebate submission. It was up to TotalDefense/CA to contact Tiger Direct to verify the rebate terms were fulfilled. They also did not offer online cancellation options for auto-renewal, and were extremely difficult to reach over the phone.

According to SDers who bit on the rebates offered by TotalDefense starting in February of 2013, their system is different.

So in this case, both users are spreading confusion. User kris259 was correct in stating that rebates from TotalDefense was a risk, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore (starting this year if SDers' reports are correct in the recent threads). Which means that user stanslover is correct in stating that if you follow the new instruction set for the rebate, it shouldn't be a hassle.

I hope that clears up the confusion. At the very least, I would like to see user stanslover show a modicum of decorum; from his response, it's clear that he has never filed the old rebate forms with TotalDefense or CA, and therefore he shouldn't be speaking with such authority and disrespect towards others when he lacks the historical knowledge or experience.

kris259 06-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TofuVic (Post 59902370)

Do you think the rebates will work perfectly, TDMVP73? Whether I go in on this deal or not is in your hands.

Tofu Vic

He never posts these deals and he generally posts all the tigerdirect rebate deals before someone else.. so that should sorta tell you something.. but it seems the tides are turning a little in that it seems total defense rebates are about 50/50 when you take into account all the people who had problems and all the people who had very little or no trouble in getting their rebates.. as seen above with MazdaMP saying 2 for 2 ... so it seems the more recent rebates are having good success rates and a hassle free experience if you follow the instructions to the letter...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkiki911 (Post 59902502)
grr i hate rebates

then you will really hate these as many people are reporting a troubling experience to get their rebate approved.. so read up before you make a decision... its sad though bc the tigerdirect rebates are usually hassle free and fast.... so the blame has been put on total defense

realkk 06-05-2013 04:04 PM

I have had lot of success with TigerDirect MIR, but those were ranging between $10 and $25. THis is one is little more,but going for ordering one.

grovel 06-05-2013 04:04 PM

the problem is with total defense. however, after i filed a complaint with the bbb regarding activation they immediately sent me the debit card. So i guess, if you're ok with all the hassle that goes with it, then this is truly a good deal

Kiballer 06-05-2013 04:06 PM

this is a really good deal, but I feel like I can't get the rebate

TofuVic 06-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 59902608)
He never posts these deals and he generally posts all the tigerdirect rebate deals before someone else.. so that should sorta tell you something.. but it seems the tides are turning a little in that it seems total defense rebates are about 50/50 when you take into account all the people who had problems and all the people who had very little or no trouble in getting their rebates.. as seen above with MazdaMP saying 2 for 2 ... so it seems the more recent rebates are having good success rates and a hassle free experience if you follow the instructions to the letter...

Thanks, kris259! You're one of the three people whom I trust with TigerDirect information.

I've given you reputation points,
Tofu Vic

kris259 06-05-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okinawanmatt (Post 59902562)
To clear up the confusion, the rebate issues with TotalDefense arises from the rebates they offered from 2009 to mid-2012. Their system was archaic (physical filing of forms rather than digital/electronic), and they did not have an automated acknowledgement for activation or rebate submission. It was up to TotalDefense/CA to contact Tiger Direct to verify the rebate terms were fulfilled. They also did not offer online cancellation options for auto-renewal, and were extremely difficult to reach over the phone.

According to SDers who bit on the rebates offered by TotalDefense starting in February of 2013, their system is different.

So in this case, both users are spreading confusion. User kris259 was correct in stating that rebates from TotalDefense was a risk, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore (starting this year if SDers' reports are correct in the recent threads). Which means that user stanslover is correct in stating that if you follow the new instruction set for the rebate, it shouldn't be a hassle.

I hope that clears up the confusion. At the very least, I would like to see user stanslover show a modicum of decorum; from his response, it's clear that he has never filed the old rebate forms with TotalDefense or CA, and therefore he shouldn't be speaking with such authority and disrespect towards others when he lacks the historical knowledge or experience.

great info... you must have posted it as I was typing my response... glad to see the info as top why these rebates are now having high success and being hassle free

NCSU2008 06-05-2013 04:08 PM

really want to do it...but don't think i will. thumbs up though

sonofsmog 06-05-2013 04:08 PM

I have never seen these Total Defense rebate's before. I'm in for one. You only live once!

TofuVic 06-05-2013 04:09 PM

If this rebate comes through, I'll be doing more Total Defense rebates in the future. Maybe I can give away an external hard drive to a lucky friend for white elephant this holiday season.

For Total Defense rebates, I remember reading one can be done every calendar month. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Tofu Vic

TDMVP73 06-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TofuVic (Post 59902370)

Tofu Vic

I've always been reluctant to do Total Defense rebates because of the software activation and the software company's shady past.

I've heard mixed things from people about the rebates. At least two users who I trust to be very competent with rebates (bb182 and satanslover) have said that they are just like any other 4MyRebate offer, except the wait time might be a little longer. They say you can use a prepaid card with a small balance on it for the activation.

However, I've also received some troubling PMs about people not getting approved, UPC's magically disappearing, etc. from other SDers.

As such, I'm reluctant to give the "TDMVP73 Rebate Stamp of Approval" on this one.

Keep in mind that TigerDirect does have a rebate assurance program (LINK [tigerdirect.com]), to help you get your rebate, in the event you were to have a poor experience. They are the ones advertising the rebate and deal, so I would hope they'd stand behind you on this one.

NCSU2008 06-05-2013 04:12 PM

some ppl say out of stock...guess since it was in my cart i got it. went ahead and got one. got another 1tb passport i rarely use but whatever

corenom 06-05-2013 04:13 PM

Damn good deal :o

Iced_Thi 06-05-2013 04:15 PM

In for one, awesome deal if the rebate goes through.

TofuVic 06-05-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDMVP73 (Post 59902746)
I've always been reluctant to do Total Defense rebates because of the software activation and the software company's shady past.

I've heard mixed things from people about the rebates. At least two users who I trust to be very competent with rebates (bb182 and satanslover) have said that they are just like any other 4MyRebate offer, except the wait time might be a little longer. They say you can use a prepaid card with a small balance on it for the activation.

However, I've also received some troubling PMs about people not getting approved, UPC's magically disappearing, etc. from other SDers.

As such, I'm reluctant to give the "TDMVP73 Rebate Stamp of Approval" on this one.

Keep in mind that TigerDirect does have a rebate assurance program (LINK [tigerdirect.com]), to help you get your rebate, in the event you were to have a poor experience. They are the ones advertising the rebate and deal, so I would hope they'd stand behind you on this one.

Thank you very much for the information. Even without providing the TDMVP73 Rebate Stamp of Approval, you issued a very informative reply, which I highly appreciate.

Here's 4 more reputation points to add onto your pile of 18,909 points,
Tofu Vic

RonPaul4Liberty 06-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59854124)
A one-year subscription is included. You need to activate it using a CC, either online [&quot;http] or by installing the software. They will do a $1 authorization and sign you up to automatically renew every year. You can cancel the auto-renew &quot;service&quot; immediately after activation without impacting the rebate (&quot;Cancel Automatic Renewal Service&quot; [&quot;https] on your account page). Don't try to cancel your subscription (which is not the same as auto-renewal); there's no easy way to do it, it might cause rebate problems, and it's just going to expire anyway.

YOU RAWK! Thanks 4 da info (:

Nexus4 06-05-2013 04:23 PM

Can't use this as an internal HDD, no SATA port.

sonofsmog 06-05-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 59886170)
Here's a summary of what I do:

- I install and activate the software (uninstalling the previous installation first if required)
- I use a unique email address for each activation. This keeps it simple in terms of managing the software account and avoids any possible issues with multiple activations, which I don't think are a problem anyway.
- I generate a virtual credit card number (available from BofA, Discover, Citibank and possibly others) with a maximum value of $5. There is a $1 temp charge that gets applied to the account when you activate. I will close the card after I have canceled the renewal. They have no possible way of charging me for a renewal.
- I register the rebate online using the email address I used to activate the software
- I print out the activation email which proves I activated the software to include in the rebate
- I include the UPC and invoice, sign the form etc and make copies. If the rebate processor doesn't get the rebate before the cutoff date, I ring up so I can resubmit the copies.

I offering rep points for the virtual credit card number tip alone.

Masterguy 06-05-2013 04:23 PM

what the heck....bought one. Lets see if the rebate goes through. Awesome deal!

Scurbdog 06-05-2013 04:28 PM

thanks got one dont need it but got one. oh and ill never install the software.

LiquidRetro 06-05-2013 04:31 PM

SO I can fill out the rebate, and activate the software without first installing it? If so I am in!

stormz 06-05-2013 04:32 PM

Anyone else grabbing any other free after rebate items too? I added one of the Targus tablet cases and it didn't seem to affect shipping price.

jmdubya 06-05-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mky (Post 59877008)
I think bb182 and satanslover have the angles down....they have done many of these bundle rebates recently and should be able to help steer you thru this. The software package comes w/ instructions for installing the software but the wiki instructions are straightforward and I would follow them. At the end of the process, you will have a Total Defense account that shows your software subscription(s) and gives you the option to change/cancel auto-enrollments. For my most recent activation rebates, I waited to terminate the renewal option until my rebates were approved (prior to that, I cancelled almost immediately). As far as payment method, I tried using a number of pre-paid Amex cards that I received thru Tiger deals (and maybe even a Serve card) and none of them worked (they had varying balances ranging from zero to $20 or $25). After these failed efforts, I used a credit card which sailed right thru. I don't know whether there's a problem using Amex rebate cards or rebate/debit cards in general or whether it was just a glitch I encountered. Satanslover suggested I use a virtual CC but I'd want to investigate whether those are fullproof enough to avoid potential billing issues and whether other (non-Amex) pre-paid cards like Visa from a Staples or Newegg rebate deal work. As far as your rebate getting stuck pending validation, it's a manageable problem -- make sure you have proof of activation (whether an email or screenshot) and give the rebate company a call if the rebate doesn't progress from received to approval status w/i 4-6 weeks -- it took several phone calls on my part (the first time I called, they put me on hold and spoke to Total Defense who alerted them there was a glitch in the validation process that would be straightened out w/i 72 hours; it wasn't - I called back 2 wks later and was told there was a backlog and it would be approved in 48 hrs; it wasn't and I called back and was told there was a glitch; my last call was w/ a supervisor about 1 month after my 1st call who apologized and took care of it). The process others are describing indicates improvements have been made. Just stay on top of things.

For the love of God, insert a page break once in a blue moon.

adas 06-05-2013 04:35 PM

must not get... MUST GET!

sonofsmog 06-05-2013 04:37 PM

I've learned it's a SlickDeal when it generates endless controversy... If people aren't bickering and being snarky it's probably not all that good of a deal.

KewlChik 06-05-2013 04:41 PM

Bit the bullet. Shipping charge is killing me here, it was $7.20 something for me.

New_World 06-05-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 59903196)
SO I can fill out the rebate, and activate the software without first installing it? If so I am in!

I'm wondering the same thing.

professorman 06-05-2013 04:43 PM

In for one... although I have 2 of these hard drives already. Now, I have to figure out this rebate confusion that you guys speak about.

bb182 06-05-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 59852846)
Cool, the new month's rebate is in.

Looks like they changed the valid through date on the TDI rebate from 6/30 to 6/6. Hopefully it isn't the end of these.

ppwanngy 06-05-2013 04:48 PM

Always hear complain about rebate. Too much to risk. Pass anyway. Good luck everyone

nyrm22 06-05-2013 04:48 PM

In for one as well. But I really do need this one.

FW has 1% cash back from TD, so you can save a dollar...

bb182 06-05-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrm22 (Post 59903538)
In for one as well. But I really do need this one.

FW has 1% cash back from TD, so you can save a dollar...

If you haven't finished ordering try TCB. You should get 4 or 5%.

nyrm22 06-05-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59903568)
If you haven't finished ordering try TCB. You should get you 4 or 5%.

Dang! Too late.

New_World 06-05-2013 04:54 PM

don't forget shop discover to get 5%!!

jaliu 06-05-2013 04:57 PM

how come no shoprunner?

kingedwards 06-05-2013 04:58 PM

It looks like Total Defense Premium is trash. It sells for less than $5 on eBay. $20 for a 1TB WD HD is a steal though.

chompie 06-05-2013 05:00 PM

I've gotten all my TD rebates except a $10 for a mouse that was supposed to be FAR. I figured that I got a bunch of other stuff for almost free after rebate so I didn't bother pursuing the missing $10 rebate :p

professorman 06-05-2013 05:01 PM

Silly question, but do I have to wait to receive the software box before I can activate my subscription online? It is asking for a Product Activation Code.

fabiosugitani 06-05-2013 05:02 PM

$5 shipping, but $8 in taxes. I'll pass

khalid7412002 06-05-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb182 (Post 59903568)
If you haven't finished ordering try TCB. You should get 4 or 5%.

What is this TCB that you speak of? Never heard of said cash back site and always use FW but I could start using a new site with a higher cash back payout

SENz 06-05-2013 05:07 PM

I have never failed to get rebate so far from all major stores except TD... :-(

Curb71 06-05-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_World (Post 59903634)
don't forget shop discover to get 5%!!

Oh yeah! thanks for that. :worship:

adas 06-05-2013 05:08 PM

I pay tax for my TD orders, but I always get my rebates from them.

Jbrizzel 06-05-2013 05:11 PM

in 4 1, THX OP.

kris259 06-05-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professorman (Post 59903742)
Silly question, but do I have to wait to receive the software box before I can activate my subscription online? It is asking for a Product Activation Code.

not a silly question... I could be wrong but it seems that is correct, you need to get the product to get your activation code then you can input that into the rebate registration box where it asks for that info

askjeevs 06-05-2013 05:14 PM

Thanks OP.. Got 1
Also added another FAR item (Targus 10.2" Slipskin Peel Tablet/Netbook Case - Item#: T22-2344) and shipping increased by few cents.

wolverine88 06-05-2013 05:19 PM

2nd one $10 rebate also requires original UPC, how do you do that?

Triolent 06-05-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolverine88 (Post 59904084)

Read this thread.

kris259 06-05-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolverine88 (Post 59904084)

the WD rebate requires UPC from the harddrive box and the 70 total defense rebate requires the UPC from the total defense box (as well as other documents)

bb182 06-05-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khalid7412002 (Post 59903798)
What is this TCB that you speak of? Never heard of said cash back site and always use FW but I could start using a new site with a higher cash back payout

T = top
Cashback Watch is a good place for comparing different sites.

hbcobra 06-05-2013 05:30 PM

Did another Total Defense rebate (here) back in March and I received the rebate within about six weeks.

Having already done another Total Defense rebate, am I still eligible to jump on this one?

Thank you

cph 06-05-2013 05:31 PM

in 4 one. thanks OP

alansupra94 06-05-2013 05:33 PM

Decided to take a stab at it. Will follow the directions when it comes in.

This is good for my desktop that is currently running on 3 SSD drives (2 that are in RAID 0) lol.

porkrind 06-05-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmcroxxorz (Post 59859456)

how long ago was this? I heard a lot of people complaining about TD's rebate process a year or two ago, but honestly, I have done a dozen rebates with TD, and ALL came back. I am actually really happy with TD right now; I actually prefer TD over other vendors like Newegg (no tax and faster rebate process).

lemonade 06-05-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkrind (Post 59904550)
how long ago was this? I heard a lot of people complaining about TD's rebate process a year or two ago, but honestly, I have done a dozen rebates with TD, and ALL came back. I am actually really happy with TD right now; I actually prefer TD over other vendors like Newegg (no tax and faster rebate process).

same here, most important no tax for cali...

kris259 06-05-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkrind (Post 59904550)

people need to clarify TD as either Total Defense or TD as in Tiger Direct

yaarkotto 06-05-2013 05:51 PM

Order is correct?

1. Purchase
2. Activate Total Defense
3. Submit Rebate

Or 1->3->2? Or doesn't matter?

wolverine88 06-05-2013 05:51 PM

Got 1 with 2 other free cases for $144.64. Used upromise for another 10% CB, so the net total will be around $10 if I receive all $120 rebates.

Plan to use capped at $1, one time credit card to activate. The worst is if I forget, the charge on my CC will fail for sure.

porkrind 06-05-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 59904576)
people need to clarify TD as either Total Defense or TD as in Tiger Direct

In my case, TD = tiger direct. Haha, I am sorry about that. I just woke up from a nap, and didn't even realize Total Defense and Tiger Direct have the same initial! :(

New_World 06-05-2013 05:54 PM

ended up buying this cuz i needed another hard drive but not to happy about this wierd rebate though.
just hassle..

wjherman 06-05-2013 05:59 PM

im going to moving here in the next couple weeks... is there a way for me to do this since i'm changing addresses?

MehdiAnis 06-05-2013 06:00 PM

Also added 120mm Kingwin case fan - free after rebate. Shipping remains same, $4.xx
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applic...&CatId=494

bb182 06-05-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaarkotto (Post 59904636)
Order is correct?

1. Purchase
2. Activate Total Defense
3. Submit Rebate

Or 1->3->2? Or doesn't matter?

You're supposed to do 1,2,3 and that's what I recommend. I have some steps in the wiki that will work.

I doesn't think it actually matter as long as you get it activated before 4MyRebate sends it off to TDI to verify activation. I believe this happens after they receive your documents in the mail. The tracking entry for that appears to be "Your claim is being reviewed".

dj-3lusion 06-05-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

I do 1k+ rebates/year

total defense means they defend themselves from giving you the rebate :lmao: total defense from paying

SlickEnough 06-05-2013 06:37 PM

in 4 1

tiga2009 06-05-2013 06:44 PM

In 4 1. Also added the FAR Targus case; not sure I need this, but cashback makes it a teeny MM if rebate works out. No tax in CA makes it more slick.

Plan to use Citi Virtual CC to activate, which allows me to set the limit (e.g., $1) as well as time to expire (e.g., 1 month from now).