Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Monoprice "Route 66 Vintage" Solid Body Electric Guitar (Black) $99, Monoprice "California Classic" Solid Body Electric Guitar (Black, Red or Sunburst) $71.50 + Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/6081612-monoprice-route-66-vintage-solid-body-electric-guitar-black-99-monoprice-california-classic-solid-body-electric-guitar-black-red-or-sunburst-71-50-shipping)

SwifiJon 06-09-2013 10:46 PM

Monoprice "Route 66 Vintage" Solid Body Electric Guitar (Black) $99, Monoprice "California Classic" Solid Body Electric Guitar (Black, Red or Sunburst) $71.50 + Shipping

2 Attachment(s)
Monoprice "Route 66 Vintage" Black Solid Body Electrical Guitar (similar to Les Paul style) $99 - Regularly $129.28

http://www.monoprice.com/products...1&format=2

Also "California Classic" in red or black or sunburst (similar to Stratocaster style) $71.51 At $79.46 + 10% promocode - Regularly $89.28
BLACK: http://www.monoprice.com/products...1&format=2
RED: http://www.monoprice.com/products...1&format=2
SUNBURST: http://www.monoprice.com/products...1&format=1
ADDITIONAL 10% Off with promocode "e32013"

A coupon shouldn't be necessary but if you need to use one, you can use dadsgrads30
EDIT: Shipping varies.

DOUBLE EDIT: Put "e32013" in the coupon code to reduce any order under $800 for 10% off!
Thx TigerFiesta2122

Description:
All hail the mighty humbucker! When you want that rich, heavy, crunch sound made famous by artists such as Jimmy Page, Slash, Pete Townshend, and Bob Marley, you want a Route 66 Vintage Solid Body Guitar with two humbucker pickups from Monoprice!

This full-sized, 22-fret guitar features a basswood archtop single-cutaway body, a bolt-on maple neck, a rosewood fingerboard , and chrome machine heads/tuning pegs. It uses two dual-coil humbuckers, which produce the distinctive sound used in southern rock, heavy metal, electric blues, reggae, and classic hard rock. A three-position switch on the body above the fingerboard allows you to easily select between the bridge and neck pups, or both together.

Before it gets shipped to you, each Monoprice guitar undergoes a setup, tuning, and inspection process by Master Luthier Roger Gresco here in Southern California. The setup ensures that the neck is straight, the action is right, and that it will stay in tune. Additionally, it comes with everything you need to get started, including strings (installed), a heavy-duty zippered black gig bag with shoulder strap, a truss-rod wrench, and a pick.

iconian 06-09-2013 10:46 PM

Monoprice "Route 66 Vintage" Solid Body Electric Guitar (Black) $99, Monoprice "California Classic" Solid Body Electric Guitar (Black, Red or Sunburst) $71.50 + Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Update "California Classic" is now $71.50 with copon code e3201.

Monoprice has a few great deals on electric guitars. Shipping start at $6 and is based on location. Thanks SwifiJonOut of stock:

wikipost 06-09-2013 10:46 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

xecutionkrk 06-09-2013 11:02 PM

is it free return ?

I doubt these have any resale value

SwifiJon 06-09-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xecutionkrk (Post 59988258)
is it free return ?

I doubt these have any resale value

Yes. 30 day money back guarantee. No restocking fee. I believe you'll have to pay for shipping back. The one defective item I had from them (a mouse), I didn't have to pay for the shipping to ship the item back. At $99-$130 new, do you really expect a resell value on the guitar?

birdwax 06-09-2013 11:22 PM

I've been meaning to try one of these. The "Route 66" model is probably a better deal because Les Paul clones aren't often found in this price range, while there are any number of decent Strat clones under $100. From what I've heard, these are really pretty good. The biggest complaint, by far, is that they say "Monoprice" on them. But at least that doesn't effect the quality, only your pride.

okinawanmatt 06-09-2013 11:23 PM

Lol. I don't think it'll have a resell value unless the guitar enthusiast websites online start declaring that it has value.

It's happened before. A Yamaha beginner dreadnought guitar I purchased in 2002 for $100 new now costs $400 used. It had nothing to do with Yamaha raising the price, and had everything to do with guitar enthusiasts praising it's craftsmanship while Yamaha stopped making that model.

SwifiJon 06-09-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdwax (Post 59988468)
I've been meaning to try one of these. The "Route 66" model is probably a better deal because Les Paul clones aren't often found in this price range, while there are any number of decent Strat clones under $100. From what I've heard, these are really pretty good. The biggest complaint, by far, is that they say "Monoprice" on them. But at least that doesn't effect the quality, only your pride.

The price point finally made me jump on it. I would have preferred a sunburst, but at $99 it was an impulse buy for me. I'm a beginner and I figured it would pair with Rocksmith better than my Epiphone aj-15e acoustic or the gimmicky iAxe365 my brother bought me.

Baddogdaddy 06-10-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwifiJon (Post 59988566)
The price point finally made me jump on it. I would have preferred a sunburst, but at $99 it was an impulse buy for me. I'm a beginner and I figured it would pair with Rocksmith better than my Epiphone aj-15e acoustic or the gimmicky iAxe365 my brother bought me.

Good choice, your going to love it. I'm a music tutor and have a student that has it. Surprised the hell out of me. It's a knock off built right.

birdwax 06-10-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwifiJon (Post 59988566)

It should be better for sure. It might be easier to play as well because it's a 24.75" scale length guitar, like a Les Paul, which means less string tension (it makes fingering chords and bending strings easier).

If you ask me, the black looks better than the sunburst. The honeyburst looks nice, though.

tooslow 06-10-2013 02:47 AM

Can't beat THAT price... on the black model., and the others are only $135!
And the guitar stand on the Strat page... $6?

nabwong 06-10-2013 02:53 AM

Thinking of getting my first electric guitar. What's the difference in sound or playing? What does each do better? I just want something that's all round I guess.

SwifiJon 06-10-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdwax (Post 59989000)
It should be better for sure. It might be easier to play as well because it's a 24.75" scale length guitar, like a Les Paul, which means less string tension (it makes fingering chords and bending strings easier).

If you ask me, the black looks better than the sunburst. The honeyburst looks nice, though.

Yeah everyone who has tried out my epiphone comments on how high the action is. I think it makes it really hard on the bar chords not to have fret buzz. I'm excited because monoprice is actually near me. Next day shipping was only $5 so it should hit my hands Tuesday.

anakha 06-10-2013 03:42 AM

Anybody else hoping this isn't the beginning of Monoprice's slow descent into a massive repository for trinkets and junk?

I'm not saying the guitars are junk, just that Monoprice does what they do so well (in my opinion) that I'd hate to see them lose focus on their core and expand/stretch themselves too far. Electric and (soon to be) acoustic guitars? Seems outta left field to me. . .

Scurbdog 06-10-2013 03:44 AM

just bought the strat black one. Getting back into playing and this seemed a no-brainer. Also used overnight shipping for 5 bucks, thanks!

Wampa1 06-10-2013 03:52 AM

Monoprice cables suck too. At least the 6 micro USB ones I ordered from there that all broke within weeks of using them.

INSANECANES 06-10-2013 04:14 AM

:repped:

waltz78 06-10-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anakha (Post 59989828)
Anybody else hoping this isn't the beginning of Monoprice's slow descent into a massive repository for trinkets and junk?

I'm not saying the guitars are junk, just that Monoprice does what they do so well (in my opinion) that I'd hate to see them lose focus on their core and expand/stretch themselves too far. Electric and (soon to be) acoustic guitars? Seems outta left field to me. . .

Actually, Monoprice seems to have always been a company focused on "let's find a product that is popular, find a Chinese supplier that can make the best version at an affordable price -- not just the cheapest possible -- and sell just one or two of that item." They haven't just been about cables for a long time.

birdwax 06-10-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwifiJon (Post 59989744)
Yeah everyone who has tried out my epiphone comments on how high the action is. I think it makes it really hard on the bar chords not to have fret buzz. I'm excited because monoprice is actually near me. Next day shipping was only $5 so it should hit my hands Tuesday.

Great. I live as far away from Monoprice as is possible while still being a part of the continental US, so shipping is both expensive and slow, but I don't mind given how cheap most things are. Any electric should have lower action (and thinner strings) than an acoustic, so I think you'll be happy.

birdwax 06-10-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltz78 (Post 59990010)
Actually, Monoprice seems to have always been a company focused on "let's find a product that is popular, find a Chinese supplier that can make the best version at an affordable price -- not just the cheapest possible -- and sell just one or two of that item." They haven't just been about cables for a long time.

Exactly. And many of the products have been very good, like the drawing tablets, the 27-30" IPS monitors, TV wall mounts, earphones. Their new photography line is also promising:

http://www.monoprice.com/products...hotography

I have the large camera bag and it's as good as anything you can find for the price. I'd also try the large-diaphragm condenser mic if I didn't have one already:

http://www.monoprice.com/products...id=1150201

jnthornh 06-10-2013 05:25 AM

How does this compare to the Rock Band squier? That's the only electric guitar I have and I never use it with the game any more. I've read that the RB Squier isn't so great as a regular guitar.

eeddings 06-10-2013 05:42 AM

For a beginner guitar, I'm sure it is extraordinary. You won't beat the price. You can easily spend $99 on a First Act guitar at Toys R Us, and it's just that -- a toy.

I personally am not a fan of bolt-on necks, die cast tuners, or basswood bodies. Also, I think it would've been better to leave the headstock completely blank instead of putting MONOPRICE across it, but that's just me. They might as well have put MADEINCHINA across the headstock.

However, for a beginner, this is probably a heck of a guitar for the money.

Phyx726 06-10-2013 06:38 AM

man monoprice sells everything

FeloniusMonkey 06-10-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdwax (Post 59990078)
Exactly. And many of the products have been very good, like the drawing tablets, the 27-30" IPS monitors, TV wall mounts, earphones. Their new photography line is also promising:

http://www.monoprice.com/products...hotography

I have the large camera bag and it's as good as anything you can find for the price. I'd also try the large-diaphragm condenser mic if I didn't have one already:

http://www.monoprice.com/products...id=1150201

I've also heard great things about their in-wall speakers.

slip kid 06-10-2013 07:02 AM

I don't play often, mostly turning on rocksmith these days. have a late 90's american fat strat delux.
i may by the "modern" here to switch things up, sell my strat, and put that money towards the new billy duffy white falcon.

this is rad. also like the personal amplifiers at $20 each.

zamboni 06-10-2013 07:12 AM

any way to get free shipping? $15 for me on ultra slow shipping

nabwong 06-10-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamboni (Post 59991790)
any way to get free shipping? $15 for me on ultra slow shipping

Shipping in $13.73 to the east coast for me :(

agureghian 06-10-2013 07:21 AM

looks like a good deal... now only if I played guitar...

BrianC811 06-10-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeloniusMonkey (Post 59991442)
I've also heard great things about their in-wall speakers.

Yeah, I have a set and am very happy with them. Not they're not crazy high end or mind blowing, but definitely worth 2-3x's their price.

My builder already put in in-wall speakers and the Monoprice were a huge improvement.

rockmo 06-10-2013 07:39 AM

Looks a great deal on a really good starter guitar. Debating now if I want to upgrade from the cheap Den guitar I don't play????

Strmtrper6 06-10-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurbdog (Post 59989836)
just bought the strat black one. Getting back into playing and this seemed a no-brainer. Also used overnight shipping for 5 bucks, thanks!

Any trick to getting shipping down?

Mine is $60.

To OP: Update title to $99+shipping

birdwax 06-10-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianC811 (Post 59991994)
Yeah, I have a set and am very happy with them. Not they're not crazy high end or mind blowing, but definitely worth 2-3x's their price.

My builder already put in in-wall speakers and the Monoprice were a huge improvement.

Did you do the surrounds and the in-wall subwoofer too?

thetimmy 06-10-2013 07:47 AM

Funny Story: I kept trying to get my girlfriend to play Rock Band with me, we had a 2nd guitar and a mic, but she would often refuse. After a particularly bad day she had at work, I asked and she snapped back 'why don't you stop playing that stupid game and get a real guitar'. She returned from work the following day to strange sounds. She glanced at me & my new guitar with a puzzled look on her face....then proclaimed "I really should be more careful about what I say to you "

zamboni 06-10-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetimmy (Post 59992572)
Funny Story: I kept trying to get my girlfriend to play Rock Band with me, we had a 2nd guitar and a mic, but she would often refuse. After a particularly bad day she had at work, I asked and she snapped back 'why don't you stop playing that stupid game and get a real guitar'. She returned from work the following day to strange sounds. She glanced at me & my new guitar with a puzzled look on her face....then proclaimed "I really should be more careful about what I say to you "

LOL

I am going to start playing a motorcycle racing game and hope for the same results!!

AC3 06-10-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

My sentiments exactly. I've purchased much more than cables from them over the years...including headphones, hdmi splitters, camera bags, various electronic devices, etc., and have always been quite satisfied with the price / quality. Paired with amazing customer service, it's hard to pass on some of their deals.

Thanks OP....grabbed a black one, but looks like a very decent & capable LP copy for $99, don't expect miracles from it, but the reviews were quite favorable considering the price point. Something inexpensive to try my hand at playing once again.

wilsonm735 06-10-2013 08:20 AM

Looks like a good deal.. If only I didn't have 6 guitars already..

himeko123 06-10-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong (Post 59989682)
Thinking of getting my first electric guitar. What's the difference in sound or playing? What does each do better? I just want something that's all round I guess.

It depends the shape of guitar, feel, and the sound you want to play. I listed the guitar models they are based off of and general features. Go to a guitar shop and see which type sounds/feels better to you.

Route 66 = Les Paul, guitar neck behinds backwards towards you, heavier weight, none to less electrical noise when played through amp, great for rock - like this B'z [youtube.com]

California = Stratocaster, straight neck, lighter weight, wood cutout on back of guitar for stomach, more electrial noise when played through amp(depends on settings), great for cleaner sounds - like this David Gilmour [youtube.com]

parasitemite 06-10-2013 08:29 AM

Grabbed one. I am pretty confident in a decently made guitar from Monoprice.

Thanks OP.

zamboni 06-10-2013 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2049680

Still trying to decide if I should get this...

What is interesting is that the non-black LP models all have a newer version that is slightly more expensive (the old ones are all out of stock). This made me think the newer version is maybe better and they are just closing out the older model in the last color available.

But, if you look at the new vs. old versions on the other models you see that the TREBLE/RHYTHM label on the pickup switch and the pick guard are missing from the newer model.

hhhmmmmm....

eeddings 06-10-2013 09:22 AM

In my experience, the first runs of guitars coming out of China and Korea are always better than second, third, etc. runs. I tend to believe the same for these at Monoprice given the reviews I've read for the guitars on Monoprice.com.

strattao 06-10-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamboni (Post 59994558)
Attachment 2049680

Still trying to decide if I should get this...

What is interesting is that the non-black LP models all have a newer version that is slightly more expensive (the old ones are all out of stock). This made me think the newer version is maybe better and they are just closing out the older model in the last color available.

But, if you look at the new vs. old versions on the other models you see that the TREBLE/RHYTHM label on the pickup switch and the pick guard are missing from the newer model.

hhhmmmmm....

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing...

Here's what they say about the new models...

So what do you do if you have a successful product launch, like we've had with our Route 66 Vintage Solid Body Guitars? Well, if you're Monoprice you listen to customer feedback, make improvements, and release a new version that addresses those concerns. Enter the new Route 66 Modern Solid Body Electric Guitar from Monoprice!

The most obvious change is that we've eliminated the plastic pick guard and the plastic label around the pickup select switch. This allows you to see all of the beautiful finish of your choice, without being obscured by the plastic bits. In a bid to modern styling, we've sharpened the horn below the cutaway, giving an "edgier" look to the guitar body.

One of the standard complaints about the Vintage version was the quality of the strings. Not only have we increased the gauge from 0.009 to 0.010 inch on the lower E string, but we are now using our coated strings, for increased durability as well as sonic excellence.

Finally, we adjusted the orientation of the volume and tone knobs. The entire knob assembly was rotated 90° counterclockwise so that the orientation of the knobs corresponds to the orientation and location of the pickups. So the neck pickup, which is on your left when wearing the guitar, is controlled by the leftmost knobs, while the bridge pickup (on the right) is controlled by the rightmost knobs.

The rest of the guitar remains the same as the Route 66 Vintage model. It is a full-sized, 22-fret guitar with a basswood archtop single-cutaway body, a bolt-on maple neck, a rosewood fingerboard, and chrome machine heads/tuning pegs. It uses two dual-coil humbuckers, which produce the distinctive sound used in southern rock, heavy metal, electric blues, reggae, and classic hard rock. A three-position switch on the body above the fingerboard allows you to easily select between the bridge and neck pups, or both together.

Before it gets shipped to you, each Monoprice guitar undergoes a setup, tuning, and inspection process by Master Luthier Roger Gresco here in Southern California. The setup ensures that the neck is straight, the action is right, and that it will stay in tune. Additionally, it comes with everything you need to get started, including strings (installed), a heavy-duty zippered black gig bag with shoulder strap, and a truss-rod wrench.

kovy 06-10-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okinawanmatt (Post 59988470)
Lol. I don't think it'll have a resell value unless the guitar enthusiast websites online start declaring that it has value.

It's happened before. A Yamaha beginner dreadnought guitar I purchased in 2002 for $100 new now costs $400 used. It had nothing to do with Yamaha raising the price, and had everything to do with guitar enthusiasts praising it's craftsmanship while Yamaha stopped making that model.

The Gretsch Americana Guitars that were on SD from Overstock clearanced for about $30. They can be easily sold for $250- $300.

kovy 06-10-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddings (Post 59990578)
Also, I think it would've been better to leave the headstock completely blank instead of putting MONOPRICE across it, but that's just me. They might as well have put MADEINCHINA across the headstock.

On the other hand... it is kind of funny. Gig with one of these. Shred the Christ out of it. Next thing you know, people are looking for Monoprice guitars.

nabwong 06-10-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himeko123 (Post 59993524)
It depends the shape of guitar, feel, and the sound you want to play. I listed the guitar models they are based off of and general features. Go to a guitar shop and see which type sounds/feels better to you.

Route 66 = Les Paul, guitar neck behinds backwards towards you, heavier weight, none to less electrical noise when played through amp, great for rock - like this B'z [youtube.com]

California = Stratocaster, straight neck, lighter weight, wood cutout on back of guitar for stomach, more electrial noise when played through amp(depends on settings), great for cleaner sounds - like this David Gilmour [youtube.com]

Wow thanks. They both sound good. And the wife is gonna kill me if I buy both. Maybe I can get away with saying "buy 1 get 1" offer! :)

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

touchmenot 06-10-2013 10:15 AM

I'm so tempted lol even tho i'm not in the market for an electric guitar. I am interested on bass guitars tho. I was gonna buy it but the Monoprice label on the head made me pass lol

strattao 06-10-2013 10:15 AM

Ok, I bit on the Route 66.

I've been pleased with Monoprice, and they are a very good bang for a very low buck.

I'm willing to bet that this guitar is easily comparable to the Epiphone LP-100 [epiphone.com] without the brand name or the warranty.

These sell all day long on Amazon for $250
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...escription I'm in!

If nothing else, at least my kids can play around on Rocksmith without me having to worry about them ruining my guitar.

Thanks OP!

anakha 06-10-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

I agree with you and I should explain what I mean because I have gotten lots of good stuff from Monoprice beyond just cables. They've done a great job with things that are primarily electronic or electrical devices. A guitar is so much more than that and as somebody who has played guitar for over 20 years I think it's awesome when people decide to branch out and give it a shot. I just hope that they're decent enough quality to not discourage anyone from sticking with it (can easily have playability issues or poor sound)

Maybe I'm just getting older and somewhere in my brain just quit and decided that this is too far for Monoprice to branch out :D

Hopefully they'll keep doing what they do well and I won't have to wade through too many things to find what I want on there. Anyways, wasn't trying to threadcrap! Hope everyone that gets one of these comes to love playing as much as I do!

UnstableChimp 06-10-2013 11:24 AM

Good for a 10-year old?

My son has been playing for around 6-months, on a junior sized acoustic guitar with some nylon strings. His finger strength has improved significantly. Would the route 66 be "too big" for him? Perhaps I should go to a guitar shop and have him try a full-sized guitar?

Frogstar 06-10-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnstableChimp (Post 59998014)
My son has been playing for around 6-months, on a junior sized acoustic guitar with some nylon strings. His finger strength has improved significantly. Would the route 66 be "too big" for him? Perhaps I should go to a guitar shop and have him try a full-sized guitar?

What size is the current one? 3/4?
At 10, I'd suspect it would be harder, especially if there's a decent jump in nut width. It would be worth seeing how much difficulty he has in a guitar store (try out both an LP and Strat style).

UnstableChimp 06-10-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogstar (Post 59998280)
What size is the current one? 3/4?
At 10, I'd suspect it would be harder, especially if there's a decent jump in nut width. It would be worth seeing how much difficulty he has in a guitar store (try out both an LP and Strat style).

3/4.

I fear this might sell out, before I can get to the guitar store with him. I think I will order, and if it doesn't work out, wait for him to grow into it. Or, I now have an excuse to learn for myself....

zamboni 06-10-2013 11:38 AM

Had to bite on this deal - thanks OP.

If it sucks I can always return it, sell it on craigs for $100, or turn it into an art project :)

Now I just need to find a good Gibson sticker [ebay.com] to cover up that monoprice logo

SwifiJon 06-10-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnthornh (Post 59990436)
How does this compare to the Rock Band squier? That's the only electric guitar I have and I never use it with the game any more. I've read that the RB Squier isn't so great as a regular guitar.

The Squier compares more to the California Classic than the Route 66 since they a completely different type of guitar.

If you want to compare those two, I found the following:

Rockband Squier
+ usb/midi out
+ stratocaster body
- plastic fretboard (cheap feeling)
- no whammy bar
- no tone/pickup controls
- fatter neck for electronics
? mute switch (make sure this is disengaged when using it as a regular guitar)
? video game buttons

California Classic
+ Rosewood fretboard
+ whammy bar
+ tone controls
+ pickup controls
+ more like a traditional stratocaster above and not altered to fit rockband
- unknown brand( logo on headstock says Monoprice)
- crap strings (according to people)

jnthornh 06-10-2013 02:05 PM

Sweet, thanks for the rundown!

kwadguy 06-10-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwifiJon (Post 59988410)
Yes. 30 day money back guarantee. No restocking fee. I believe you'll have to pay for shipping back. The one defective item I had from them (a mouse), I didn't have to pay for the shipping to ship the item back. At $99-$130 new, do you really expect a resell value on the guitar?

And shipping will run you about $60 to return it. So don't even consider that an option.

You buy it, you own it.

Not sure why everyone is excited about this. A no name cheapo guitar for $100. Nothing special about that. First act has been producing cheapo guitars in this price range for years.

The only interesting thing here is that they claim to have a luthier who will set up the guitar before shipment. That's novel, but probably also good business practice for low end cheapo guitars that otherwise arrive here utterly unplayable. The setup is only a turn of the truss rod and string adjustment. They're not doing the hard stuff such as fret leveling.

Really, this is the kind of "not a deal at all, but someone says it's cheap" posting that gets people hot and bothered for reasons that are unfathomable.

empiretc 06-10-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touchmenot (Post 59996318)
I'm so tempted lol even tho i'm not in the market for an electric guitar. I am interested on bass guitars tho. I was gonna buy it but the Monoprice label on the head made me pass lol

same here, :lol:

Frogstar 06-10-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwifiJon (Post 59998586)
The Squier compares more to the California Classic than the Route 66 since they a completely different type of guitar.

If you want to compare those two, I found the following:

Rockband Squier
+ usb/midi out
+ stratocaster body
- plastic fretboard (cheap feeling)
- no whammy bar
- no tone/pickup controls
- fatter neck for electronics
? mute switch (make sure this is disengaged when using it as a regular guitar)
? video game buttons

California Classic
+ Rosewood fretboard
+ whammy bar
+ tone controls
+ pickup controls
+ more like a traditional stratocaster above and not altered to fit rockband
- unknown brand( logo on headstock says Monoprice)
- crap strings (according to people)

You can get a good set of strings for four bucks, so there's that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60002792)
And shipping will run you about $60 to return it. So don't even consider that an option.

You buy it, you own it.

Not sure why everyone is excited about this. A no name cheapo guitar for $100. Nothing special about that. First act has been producing cheapo guitars in this price range for years.

The only interesting thing here is that they claim to have a luthier who will set up the guitar before shipment. That's novel, but probably also good business practice for low end cheapo guitars that otherwise arrive here utterly unplayable. The setup is only a turn of the truss rod and string adjustment. They're not doing the hard stuff such as fret leveling.

Really, this is the kind of "not a deal at all, but someone says it's cheap" posting that gets people hot and bothered for reasons that are unfathomable.

I already told someone else if I were in the market for a cheap Strat, I'd get the SX Hawk from Rondo.

joe_sun 06-10-2013 02:30 PM

Here's a review of the guitars

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/s...=monoprice
Quote:

The Strat has vintage tones, nothing ceramic hot and modern about it. I know some of you wouldn't want that, but this thing is realistic to the old Strats all the way. I did mess with the pickup heights some, finally setting them fairly high compared to my MIM Fat Strat or, (initially), my SX Hawk. Of the three, and this may be a measurement of my age and country music influences, I much prefer the Monoprice and SX tones over the ceramic single coils in the genuine Fender. Setting the pickup heights as closely to the same on the Monoprice and SX guitars, they sound very much the same to me. For the future of my money, Rondo and Monoprice have got something going here that I really like.

The Les Paul pickups, I set in a way that is fairly low to the body. I have 3 very useful and very different tones on the 3 switch settings without having to move the tone controls much at all. I could imagine how every tone it makes would be useful, but what I'm capable of limits what I can use.

The domino effect of these two guitars is, I'll be selling my MIM Fat Strat, my Epi LP Traditional Pro, my Epi Dot Deluxe and possibly my SX 335 style goldtop hollowbody.

bhazard 06-10-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

The reviews from several people say otherwise. If it plays even half as good as my ESP LTD EX-250 for $99 to toss around, I'd be happy.

xecutionkrk 06-10-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

You buy it, you own it.

Although this is true, but even $200-300 or guitar doesn't come without issues. I was considering $450 Jackson guitar where every single review except one said its an awesome guitar. The one single review that said the tremolo system is made by Ibanez Edge III is utter garbage. I did a little more research about the bridge and found out that Edge III is bad if not worst Floyd bridge system of all. So there's no best Floyd rose system so far for that price range I heard. So If you take away the bridge its a normal guitar.Now I want to consider simple cheap guitar that plays just as well as expensive ones. So that's just one example.

kwadguy 06-10-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xecutionkrk (Post 60003336)
Although this is true, but even $200-300 or guitar doesn't come without issues. I was considering $450 Jackson guitar where every single review except one said its an awesome guitar. The one single review that said the tremolo system is made by Ibanez Edge III is utter garbage. I did a little more research about the bridge and found out that Edge III is bad if not worst Floyd bridge system of all. So there's no best Floyd rose system so far for that price range I heard. So If you take away the bridge its a normal guitar.Now I want to consider simple cheap guitar that plays just as well as expensive ones. So that's just one example.

You do not want a cheap Floyd Rose system. They all suck. If you need a Floyd Rose system, get a genuine Floyd Rose system, or do without.

All guitars have potential issues. I've had $2000 guitars come out of the box as disasters--although infrequently--and I've had $200 guitars that are pretty close to perfect out of the box--although infrequently.

That said, the chances are very high that a $99 guitar will have issues.

The reviews of this guitar do not convince me that this is a good deal or a hot deal. What they say is that if you get a lucky one, you will find it comparable to other cheap guitars, even cheap guitars with name brands. Not sure how strong an endorsement that is. Guys who claim they are about to sell off their MIM Fender Strat for this guitar are just...unbelievable...unless they got a really crap MIM Fender Strat.

There are great cheap guitars out there at times--the Squier '51 at a closeout price of < $100 was a modern era classic of that sort. But most cheap guitars are just cheap guitars.

xecutionkrk 06-10-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60003686)
You do not want a cheap Floyd Rose system. That all suck. If you need a Floyd Rose system, get a genuine Floyd Rose system, or do without.

All guitars have potential issues. I've had $2000 guitars come out of the box as disasters--although infrequently--and I've had $200 guitars that are pretty close to perfect out of the box.

That said, the chances are very high that a $99 guitar will have issues.

The reviews of this guitar do not convince me that this is a good deal or a hot deal. What they say is that if you get a lucky one, you will find it comparable to other cheap guitars, even cheap guitars with name brands. Not sure how strong an endorsement that is. Guys who claim they are about to sell off their MIM Fender Strat for this guitar are just...unbelievable...unless they got a really crap MIM Fender Strat.

There are great cheap guitars out there at times--the Squier '51 at a closeout price of < $100 was a modern era classic of that sort. But most cheap guitars are just cheap guitars.

Point taken

Loriazak 06-10-2013 03:04 PM

Never played before, for a first guitar should I better go with the ones on Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...d_i=507846

It's 110$ with the amp or should grab this one here and buy an amp separately? I'd get a cheap headphone amp for now. What's the best bang for the buck?

Any advice?

SwifiJon 06-10-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

You buy it, you own it.

I guess that really depends on where you live. If you're local to the Los Angeles area, you can probably drop it off. Their office is in Rancho Cucamonga off the freeway. You can even pick it up if you want, but if you live that close you can do overnight nor co shipping for $5.85. Personally I'd rather pay the $6 shipping than drive the 20-30 miles to pick it up. Worst case, I pay the $10 in gas to drop it off.

I believe if you are comparing the deal to a Strat-copy, you will see those deals all day long under $99. It's not often though that you can get a Les Paul copy for around $100. The reviews point to this being an excellent entry guitar and if $100 gives someone a chance to pick up a Strat or better yet be able to pick up a Les Paul copy to see if they like the humbucker, I can't see how they can go wrong, especially if most of the downside is cosmetic.

Don't fault it for what it's not. Any $100 guitar is an entry guitar. If it stays in tune and keeps a beginner playing along and maybe moved them along from RockBand/Guitar Hero to a physical guitar, it did it's job.

joe_sun 06-10-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loriazak (Post 60004116)
Never played before, for a first guitar should I better go with the ones on Amazon :

It's 110$ with the amp or should grab this one here and buy an amp separately? I'd get a cheap headphone amp for now. What's the best bang for the buck?

Any advice?

I wouldn't get that guitar on Amazon, I don't have the Monoprice guitar but I've seen good reviews on it. I am so tempted to grab one but I don't have cash and I refuse to charge anything right now.

Do yourself a favor and get a cheaper guitar than Amp. A Chinese guitar can play and sound good (I have a $100.00 Chinese telecaster copy that I LOVE) but a cheap amp is crap. Look for a used Vox Valvetronix or a Fender Mustang I. Those go on sale for about 100.00.

BuddyTheElf 06-10-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loriazak (Post 60004116)

Any advice?

I'm not trying to crap on this deal but for a few more bucks, you can get a decent beginner guitar. I'd find somebody you know that plays and have them help you find a decent used guitar on Craiglist or even going to Guitar Center and looking through the used section. You can actually search the used section online and see what your local store has. Then if you find something you like, you should be able haggle a few extra bucks off. You might pay more at a GC versus CL but CL is full of flakes and people who lie/misrepresent what they are selling. That is why I suggest you find someone who knows guitars.

You can easily find a Epiphone SG or LP Studio on Craigslist for $200 or less. I've seen Epiphone G400 for $150 on my local CL. Agile AL series LP's go for ~$200 on CL. If you are going to buy brand new, I'd check on the rondomusic.com site because they have a good bang for your buck value.

birdwax 06-10-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwifiJon (Post 60004264)
I believe if you are comparing the deal to a Strat-copy, you will see those deals all day long under $99. It's not often though that you can get a Les Paul copy for around $100. The reviews point to this being an excellent entry guitar and if $100 gives someone a chance to pick up a Strat or better yet be able to pick up a Les Paul copy to see if they like the humbucker, I can't see how they can go wrong, especially if most of the downside is cosmetic.

Exactly. $100 and under Strat clones are dime a dozen. You rarely see a decent Les Paul clone in that range. One of these guitars is a much better deal than the other (which isn't to say that the Strat copy can't be good; I've never played it).

snorkeler 06-10-2013 03:40 PM

Man, this is a hard one for me. Got my motor running when I saw the post!

I have an awesome g&l strat, but have wanted to get a les paul or other humbucker guitar, preferably solid mahogany with a set neck. This at best, is half way there, with basswood and a bolt-on neck.

I bought an epiphone black beauty for my nephew a few years back off ebay for 400 bucks which was likely from someone in china who hijacked a shipment or bought a load off the manufacturer before they left the factory. It was absolutely perfect. I see you get various epiphone special editions between 3 & 400 bucks from sweetwater where they will check the setup.

All the good reviews are scary, are they edited or hand picked?

I'll wait patiently to see what you all have to say on yours. And if a good offer on a real one comes along, I'll check it out.

joe_sun 06-10-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorkeler (Post 60005042)
Man, this is a hard one for me. Got my motor running when I saw the post!

I have an awesome g&l strat, but have wanted to get a les paul or other humbucker guitar, preferably solid mahogany with a set neck. This at best, is half way there, with basswood and a bolt-on neck.

I bought an epiphone black beauty for my nephew a few years back off ebay for 400 bucks which was likely from someone in china who hijacked a shipment or bought a load off the manufacturer before they left the factory. It was absolutely perfect. I see you get various epiphone special editions between 3 & 400 bucks from sweetwater where they will check the setup.

All the good reviews are scary, are they edited or hand picked?

I'll wait patiently to see what you all have to say on yours. And if a good offer on a real one comes along, I'll check it out.

Have you checked out the Agile guitars at Rondo Music?

HoogieHar 06-10-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovy (Post 59995268)
The Gretsch Americana Guitars that were on SD from Overstock clearanced for about $30. They can be easily sold for $250- $300.

you had to remind me about those. i took too long and missed out and really kicked myself about it. there was a gray one i wanted.
but i thought they kicked them out the door @ 50 bucks instead of 30..

bogoman 06-10-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strattao (Post 59995094)
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing...

Here's what they say about the new models...

So what do you do if you have a successful product launch, like we've had with our Route 66 Vintage Solid Body Guitars? Well, if you're Monoprice you listen to customer feedback, make improvements, and release a new version that addresses those concerns. Enter the new Route 66 Modern Solid Body Electric Guitar from Monoprice!

The most obvious change is that we've eliminated the plastic pick guard and the plastic label around the pickup select switch. This allows you to see all of the beautiful finish of your choice, without being obscured by the plastic bits. In a bid to modern styling, we've sharpened the horn below the cutaway, giving an "edgier" look to the guitar body.

One of the standard complaints about the Vintage version was the quality of the strings. Not only have we increased the gauge from 0.009 to 0.010 inch on the lower E string, but we are now using our coated strings, for increased durability as well as sonic excellence.

Finally, we adjusted the orientation of the volume and tone knobs. The entire knob assembly was rotated 90° counterclockwise so that the orientation of the knobs corresponds to the orientation and location of the pickups. So the neck pickup, which is on your left when wearing the guitar, is controlled by the leftmost knobs, while the bridge pickup (on the right) is controlled by the rightmost knobs.

The rest of the guitar remains the same as the Route 66 Vintage model. It is a full-sized, 22-fret guitar with a basswood archtop single-cutaway body, a bolt-on maple neck, a rosewood fingerboard, and chrome machine heads/tuning pegs. It uses two dual-coil humbuckers, which produce the distinctive sound used in southern rock, heavy metal, electric blues, reggae, and classic hard rock. A three-position switch on the body above the fingerboard allows you to easily select between the bridge and neck pups, or both together.

Before it gets shipped to you, each Monoprice guitar undergoes a setup, tuning, and inspection process by Master Luthier Roger Gresco here in Southern California. The setup ensures that the neck is straight, the action is right, and that it will stay in tune. Additionally, it comes with everything you need to get started, including strings (installed), a heavy-duty zippered black gig bag with shoulder strap, and a truss-rod wrench.

I find it curious that the location of controls was altered since the original orientation was that of a Les Paul. Specifically, consider the "diagram" below

1 2

3 4

For Les Paul, 1 is Tone for neck pickup, 2 is Volume for neck, 3 is Tone for bridge pickup and 4 is Volume for bridge.

snorkeler 06-10-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_sun (Post 60005088)
Have you checked out the Agile guitars at Rondo Music?

No I haven't, but I've read good things about them. The reality is that with cnc & robotic machines, along with cheap labor, there'll be a a continuous stream of decent guitars coming down the line. I'm good with my current electric and acoustic, so anything else I pickup I want it to play REALLY nice, and I enjoy good materials and fine craftsmanship. So until something comes across my path that I feel might make a difference, or increase my stoke level, I'll sit tight.

The argument that a really good player can play anything and make it sound great is true, but most good musicians have good equipment, it might be beat to hell, but it's solid. I can attest that when you find a guitar that has a really sweet tone to your ears and playability, it's something special and will make you enjoy your music that much more.

Now I'd like to see what they can come up with for amps.......

RedSChase 06-10-2013 04:24 PM

I have no idea about the quality of these guitars, but the last thing I'd recommend to a friend that wanted to start playing guitar would be to order one on the internet.

Go to Guitar Center or another shop and play a few guitars. See what feels right in your hand.

And nearly everyone wants a guitar that sounds like a Fender, and you can usually get a cheap one at the shop for not much over the price of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/gu...th-tremolo

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Star...ratocaster

guitarizt 06-10-2013 04:50 PM

Just a heads up: The Route 66 (LP copy) has a bolt-on neck.

mattzane227 06-10-2013 05:09 PM

Is it relatively easy to make this guitar work for a lefty?

rhornback 06-10-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddings (Post 59995034)
In my experience, the first runs of guitars coming out of China and Korea are always better than second, third, etc. runs. I tend to believe the same for these at Monoprice given the reviews I've read for the guitars on Monoprice.com.

The China manufacturers are very good at making an item at cost and then little by little finding ways to make it cheaper in order to make a profit. Tape a box instead of glue, substitute a material, cheaper thickness, etc.

It drives US distributors nuts because what they got as samples aren't necessarily what ships 6 months down the road.

Loriazak 06-10-2013 05:57 PM

So a friend offered me another guitar an Ibanez Roadstar series II RS525, here is a picture : http://imgur.com/68h4nPb

He's asking 200$ for it. I feel like this is a dumb question, but my budget is exactly 200$ and I wanted to get an amp as well and this deal here seems better. Should I just get the one he offers me and wait out for an amp or get the monoprice one? My guess is I should just grab his since it has a re-sell value.

kwadguy 06-10-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovy (Post 59995268)

Yeah, those were Gretsch guitars, and they were pretty good little players. So you had a famous brand combined with kitsch factor and decent sound (for what they were).

Those guitars were also being clearanced for about 20% of their intended retail.

The guitars in this thread are no name generic Chinese guitars being sold for what they are worth. Even if people like them, they are never going to be worth anything as collectables or more than they cost.

snorkeler 06-10-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattzane227 (Post 60007090)

Hendrix style. I would buy a left handed guitar if I was you.

zhelder 06-10-2013 06:58 PM

Getting flashbacks to Music 123's awesome fire sales 6-7 years ago. Hopefully this time, Monoprice will ensure that the fire sale never ends.

Can't wait for the Monoprice six-string bass guitars and complete drum kits. Bring 'em on!

snorkeler 06-10-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loriazak (Post 60008076)
So a friend offered me another guitar an Ibanez Roadstar series II RS525, here is a picture : http://imgur.com/68h4nPb

He's asking 200$ for it. I feel like this is a dumb question, but my budget is exactly 200$ and I wanted to get an amp as well and this deal here seems better. Should I just get the one he offers me and wait out for an amp or get the monoprice one? My guess is I should just grab his since it has a re-sell value.

I would go for the Ibanez. It has a floyd rose so you might want to get it looked over by a tech if you don't know what you're looking at. And do something to scrounge up another 200 for an amp.

eeagle 06-10-2013 07:12 PM

Put "e32013" in the coupon code to reduce any order under $800 for 10% off!

Thx TigerFiesta2122

Strmtrper6 06-10-2013 08:17 PM

Says OOS for me.

Chrobar 06-10-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strmtrper6 (Post 60011260)
Says OOS for me.

Same! This is painful because I was ready to pull the trigger :eek:

Scurbdog 06-10-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its123baby (Post 60011444)
Same! This is painful because I was ready to pull the trigger :eek:

get the strat like me. I better clean/chorus sound and always add distortion pedal for metal.

bonapartist 06-10-2013 08:24 PM

I would much sooner buy a Rondo music guitar, which start at around $85. I've got about 4 pieces from them including a six string fretless bass, and have been happy with all of them.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

TuffyAndMe 06-10-2013 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by strattao (Post 59996328)
Ok, I bit on the Route 66.

I'm willing to bet that this guitar is easily comparable to the Epiphone LP-100 [epiphone.com] without the brand name or the warranty.

Check out this picture. This is my Epi Les Paul on the left and this "Route 66" on the right.

I think Gibson/Epiphone have a legitimate case for a lawsuit here.

Chrobar 06-10-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurbdog (Post 60011466)
get the strat like me. I better clean/chorus sound and always add distortion pedal for metal.

Pulled the trigger on the Strat Starburst since it's still available, just needed some encouragement! :bounce: Now only if the price of Rocksmith didn't skyrocket today ;p

kwadguy 06-10-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zhelder (Post 60009370)
Getting flashbacks to Music 123's awesome fire sales 6-7 years ago. Hopefully this time, Monoprice will ensure that the fire sale never ends.

Can't wait for the Monoprice six-string bass guitars and complete drum kits. Bring 'em on!

If you're getting flashbacks to those awesome deals at Music123 on name brand high quality guitars at firesale prices from this not a firesale on a throwaway Chinese knockoff, then you're taking some bad acid. Stay way from the brown stuff.

xecutionkrk 06-10-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuffyAndMe (Post 60012066)
Check out this picture. This is my Epi Les Paul on the left and this "Route 66" on the right.

All I see is same color and rest looks nothing like clone. Headstock is different, Body is more curved in route66, inlays etc.. etc...'

Btw, Its bound to sell out with that 10% off... so I might pull the trigger on the modern piece with extra cost.. Buy more like guitar cables, picks and you can save lot on shipping..

prophetmuhammad 06-10-2013 10:31 PM

i think i'll pass... already have too many guitars. :( it is probably very bad too. good as gifts though! (to a beginner or someone you dislike)

SwifiJon 06-10-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

That could also explain the discount and the new "Route 66 Modern" versions with the reconfigured controls, removal of the pick guard and rhythm/treble switch guard. Maybe trying to get rid of these pending the cease and desist compliance on selling them.

Sometimes I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same Chinese factory that was tooled to make the Epi Les Paul, and then they just sell them at a discount price to a competitor before they spend the money to retool the factory.

endenboy1 06-10-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeagle (Post 60009624)

Thx TigerFiesta2122

I used the coupon code e32013 too. And though I found the code at locobuy and not in this post and was gonna add it, I saw you all had it already reps for all ya'all (OP, eeagle and tigerfiesta2122) anyway. Been waiting on a monoprice guitar deal since I saw the last one a few months ago. I'm not a guitar expert and respect a great guitar but also get a jolt out of finding a diamond in the rough, hoping the reviews are right--fingers crossed. I was waffling at first but once I read the review posted by joe_sun (repd) and applied the 10% code I caved and bought a sunburst strat for my son. His reward for good grades :woot:. Really solid thread thanks to everybody!

cborder 06-11-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeagle (Post 60009624)

Thx TigerFiesta2122

Dang, I'd rep ya if you provided this info before I ordered. Anyone know if you can get the discount post order from Monoprice?

hottyson 06-11-2013 01:11 AM

In for a "California Classic" with 10% code e32013.Now I need to learn how to play it.

LindaMcQ 06-11-2013 02:17 AM

My husband thinks the price is awesome, but found that the selector lever on his low cost Yamaha failed after about 4 weeks. Has anybody here bought one of these Les Paul clones yet? Wondering about the quality.

eeddings 06-11-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattzane227 (Post 60007090)

I believe you'd have problems with the nut unless you took it to someone. plus, you'd have a hard time reaching the upper frets. That's probably why Hendrix played a Fender.

creichle 06-11-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anakha (Post 59989828)

kinda like when meritline started selling wigs and dresses?

tooslow 06-11-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddings (Post 60017946)
I believe you'd have problems with the nut unless you took it to someone. plus, you'd have a hard time reaching the upper frets. That's probably why Hendrix played a Fender.

I'm a southpaw;
do yourself a favor and learn to play right handed.
IF hopelessly left-handed, look for a guitar so made.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/le...v=g&Ns=pLH
It just isn't quite as simple as turning it upside down... unless you want the low 'e' at the bottom! The conversion probably requires a luthier's talents.
Personally, and that is personally, I see no problem in playing right-handed.

eeddings 06-11-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorkeler (Post 60009314)
Hendrix style. I would buy a left handed guitar if I was you.

And, FWIW, lefty guitars are usually closed out and bottom barrel prices. Example: this gibson les paul standard lefty [amazon.com] just closed out on amazon for $1165, while the right-hand version of the exact same guitar never dropped below $2300.

eeddings 06-11-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loriazak (Post 60008076)

No question, go for the Ibanez if you want a strat. If you want a les paul, that's a different story.

Citizen_Insane 06-11-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

No they don't. The body and general design of the guitars is not trademarked. Only the headstock and logo are. As long as the copy's headstock is 10% different than the original and they aren't putting Gibson on it, they're fine.

(Source - I build guitars, this topic is discussed on the building forums all the time)

TuffyAndMe 06-11-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane (Post 60019108)
No they don't. The body and general design of the guitars is not trademarked. Only the headstock and logo are. As long as the copy's headstock is 10% different than the original and they aren't putting Gibson on it, they're fine.

(Source - I build guitars, this topic is discussed on the building forums all the time)

Awesome. I appreciate the update.

Frogstar 06-11-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaMcQ (Post 60016308)
My husband thinks the price is awesome, but found that the selector lever on his low cost Yamaha failed after about 4 weeks.

Probably just needs to be resoldered?

eeddings 06-11-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogstar (Post 60019614)
Probably just needs to be resoldered?

--^ this

kwadguy 06-11-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

My husband thinks the price is awesome, but found that the selector lever on his low cost Yamaha failed after about 4 weeks. Has anybody here bought one of these Les Paul clones yet? Wondering about the quality.

Yamaha has the best quality control in their cheap lines of any manufacturer in the world. They install their own people to ensure Q/A, even when the plant is in a low cost country (e.g. China).

If you are unhappy with Yamaha, you will assuredly find this a flaming POS.

bhazard 06-11-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60020604)
Yamaha has the best quality control in their cheap lines of any manufacturer in the world. They install their own people to ensure Q/A, even when the plant is in a low cost country (e.g. China).

Lots of hate posts for some reason on a guitar you don't even own. Why not just pick one up and find out for yourself instead of blindly bashing it nonstop? Bash it afterwards.

kwadguy 06-11-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard (Post 60020856)
Lots of hate posts for some reason on a guitar you don't even own. Why not just pick one up and find out for yourself instead of blindly bashing it nonstop? Bash it afterwards.

Because I have a lot of guitars, including cheap guitars and good guitars. I don't need another cheap guitar. But I have enough experience with these things to know what you get, and what you don't get, with a guitar made to sell for $100. And enough perspective to know this isn't the hot deal that a lot of people who know nothing about guitars are being convinced it is in this thread.

BrianC811 06-11-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdwax (Post 59992438)
Did you do the surrounds and the in-wall subwoofer too?

So what my builder did was give me 5 in-wall speakers. The center channel, fronts, and rears. I went back and replaced the fronts and rears with Monoprice, used a slickdeal on a Polk (non-in-wall) center channel, and a seperately wired Klipsch sub.

The passive sub I'd feel a little skeptical regarding because of some of the reviews that I have read because I like a lot of boom and it doesn't really do that (from what I have read as it's not seperately powered). Their center channel I wouldn't have a problem using, I just prefered the Polk.

Like I said, overall they're a really good deal in terms of bang for your buck but if you are an audiophile you won't like them - but then again, you also wouldn't be looking anywhere near the Monoprice range either.

bhazard 06-11-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60021462)
Because I have a lot of guitars, including cheap guitars and good guitars. I don't need another cheap guitar. But I have enough experience with these things to know what you get, and what you don't get, with a guitar made to sell for $100. And enough perspective to know this isn't the hot deal that a lot of people who know nothing about guitars are being convinced it is in this thread.

No, you know a lot about $100 guitars from other companies, but you know nothing about this particular one. Everything is a blind assumption until its in your hands.

For $90, it can't hurt to try, so I bit. Picked up the new modern goldtop to compare too.

kwadguy 06-11-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard (Post 60022134)
No, you know a lot about $100 guitars from other companies, but you know nothing about this particular one. Everything is a blind assumption until its in your hands.

For $90, it can't hurt to try, so I bit. Picked up the new modern goldtop to compare too.

I know a lot about how much it hurts to put my hand on a hot stove at 20 houses, but not how much it hurts to put my hand on a hot stove at your house. So maybe I should try it and find out?

No thanks.

bhazard 06-11-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60022802)
I know a lot about how much it hurts to put my hand on a hot stove at 20 houses, but not how much it hurts to put my hand on a hot stove at your house. So maybe I should try it and find out?

No thanks.

Would be good logic if the analogy applied, at all, to comparing guitar builds. Ill make sure not to harm myself physically next time I pick up a guitar, thanks.

colto 06-11-2013 09:43 AM

Snagged a strat clone for $82 shipped. Hot damn. My dad already has two American Strats so we'll have to see how similar they are.

svi12345 06-11-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60020604)

What you're saying here doesn't quite make sense. It's like telling someone that if they were unhappy with their dud Sony DVD-player (let's pretend Sony still has awesome quality control, don't know if that's true) that they can never be happy with an average Panasonic. Or that someone who buys a lemon Honda will surely find all Ford cars to be unsatisfying as well. It's just not true. The best manufacturers can produce sub-par items, in which case even the average output of a middling company might end up a better buy. It's all in the odds.

Now if you're saying that banking on above-average output from a middling company is stupid or that anyone who expects more than $100 of performance out of a $100 guitar from an unproven no-name is setting themselves up to be disappointed, I'd agree with you.

holdmydrink253 06-11-2013 09:53 AM

Just got my guitar... Looks great. Thank goodness I live in AZ... no tax and $6 to ship overnight!

kwadguy 06-11-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svi12345 (Post 60023916)

Now if you're saying that banking on above-average output from a middling company is stupid or that anyone who expects more than $100 of performance out of a $100 guitar from an unproven no-name is setting themselves up to be disappointed, I'd agree with you.

This is what I'm saying. The idea that you're unhappy with Yamaha, who has the best Q/A in the biz, and that because of that you're going to buy a $100 guitar from a no name company is foolish.

colto 06-11-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60022802)

No thanks.

Horrible logic. This isn't about anything as consistent as physics, but rather something much more variable. The name of the game here is low overhead and low margins which is what Monoprice excels at. A stock Strat isn't going to cost much more than this for Fender to produce, but the overhead of such a large company, margin requirements, and demand drive the price much higher. Price isn't necessarily an indicator of quality, but rather the outcome of a large equation with many parts.

wizard7926 06-11-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okinawanmatt (Post 59988470)

What model Yamaha?

I actually have an older Yamaha dreadnought and I'm wondering if it's the same one you have there. It's got a really great, full sound. Love it :nod:

kwadguy 06-11-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colto (Post 60025300)
Horrible logic. This isn't about anything as consistent as physics, but rather something much more variable. The name of the game here is low overhead and low margins which is what Monoprice excels at. A stock Strat isn't going to cost much more than this for Fender to produce, but the overhead of such a large company, margin requirements, and demand drive the price much higher. Price isn't necessarily an indicator of quality, but rather the outcome of a large equation with many parts.

Already tried and done. Companies like First Act have been in the business of commissioning and selling cheap guitars for many years. Companies like Fender and Gibson have been doing it even longer. (And while Fender and Gibson have higher overhead, their budget operations run on small margins and contract in large enough quantities to get the best possible prices). No way does Monoprice have any miracle insights or connections, and they don't have any of the infrastructure. Basically, they found a factory somewhere who agreed to put strings on some basewood with paint and ship them to the US for less than $90.

To expect that Monoprice is going to be able to market a guitar that is better than the guys who've been doing this for a long time, and whose primary business is musical instruments, is just foolish.

If you really want to go down this road, get something from Rondo. They are a low margin seller of just guitars and they've been doing this for years, as well.

svi12345 06-11-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60024600)

Quote:

This is what I'm saying. The idea that you're unhappy with Yamaha, who has the best Q/A in the biz, and that because of that you're going to buy a $100 guitar from a no name company is foolish.

It's only foolish if they do that expecting to get better than $100 quality. This person was unhappy with Yamaha because they (maybe) got a dud. It happens. If they go out and replace their dud with a $100 guitar expecting a $100 guitar then they are fine. If they bought that $100 guitar expecting a Yamaha, then they have a problem. But there's no evidence of that.

I've bought headphones for $40 that broke right away. It had a warranty, but it made me mad so next time I bought cheap $10 headphones that turned out to be decent but not great headphones. But I was happy with them because I wasn't expecting $40 worth of headphones for them. I paid $10 and expected $10 worth of quality.

tooslow 06-11-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard7926 (Post 60025570)
What model Yamaha?

I actually have an older Yamaha dreadnought and I'm wondering if it's the same one you have there. It's got a really great, full sound. Love it :nod:

I have a forty year old Yamaha that I bought for my wife after she turned her nose up at the Ovation I got for her. I recall paying $80 for the guitar; the same price as the case for the Ovation. It is, now, highly desirable. Couldn't tell you the model; I'm at work. Acoustic, round hole, smaller than dreadnaught, nylon strung, red label, circa 1972, unused!

okinawanmatt 06-11-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard7926 (Post 60025570)
What model Yamaha?

I don't remember the model number but I'll check it when I get home!

SwifiJon 06-11-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holdmydrink253 (Post 60024126)
Just got my guitar... Looks great. Thank goodness I live in AZ... no tax and $6 to ship overnight!

Nice! Norco Overnight was nice enough to take a photo of my guitar sitting next to my front door to mock me. It's a gated patio so I'm not too worried, and my wife should be coming home from the gym soon anyways. This work day doesn't end early enough.

tooslow 06-11-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svi12345 (Post 60023916)
What you're saying here doesn't quite make sense. It's like telling someone that if they were unhappy with their dud Sony DVD-player (let's pretend Sony still has awesome quality control, don't know if that's true) that they can never be happy with an average Panasonic. Or that someone who buys a lemon Honda will surely find all Ford cars to be unsatisfying as well. It's just not true. The best manufacturers can produce sub-par items, in which case even the average output of a middling company might end up a better buy. It's all in the odds.

Kinda like the Honda thread that going on; my family has/ have had nine Hondas.
Never a bit of extraordinary trouble; wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Someone else had trouble with the transmission and would never buy another Honda.
Go figure! I guess if I'd been burned, I wouldn't get another one, either.
What's the old adage? Once bitten, twice shy?

hunter44102 06-11-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard (Post 60022134)

Let us know what you think of both guitars. I am thinking about getting the newer Goldtop

tooslow 06-11-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

REAL quick and easy fix on that; any luthier or guitar store already has the switch in stock!

mesostinky 06-11-2013 01:27 PM

These sold out. :-(

Now all they have left is the "new" version. If you notice they changed a bunch of things on it. Also more importantly there isn't a single review about the "new' version. It wouldn't surprise me if the 1st run was specifically a higher end loss leader to get good reviews out there, then Monoprice rolls out a cheaper inferior version. No way I'm going to be the guinea pig on this. Should bought the $99 one last night instead of waiting till this morning!

Scurbdog 06-11-2013 01:33 PM

mine was delivered just now. not opened yet as im just chill-axing.

mesostinky 06-11-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Why do you think they discontinued that model?

Frogstar 06-11-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurbdog (Post 60030532)
mine was delivered just now. not opened yet as im just chill-axing.

:rimshot:

SwifiJon 06-12-2013 01:46 AM

My worthless unprofessional newb initial review:

The guitar arrived wrapped in foam and inside it's gig bag. From there it was surrounded by cardboard spacers to restrict movement inside of the cardboard box it was in. It came pre-tuned although, I had to make one adjustment to the G-string but that could have been me accidently nudging it when pulling it out since it is the top right tuning peg. The tuning pegs actually move really smoothly which is why I think I just nudged it. Other than that it sounded pretty in tune although when I later used Rocksmith, it thought it was tuned a few decimals lower on each tuning peg, so I adjusted it to that.

As far as cosmetically, I think the guitar looks very nice. I did find some tiny glue smudges on the fretboard that I easily wiped off and some slight dust. Nothing major and I'm just nitpicking. The people who cared about the Monoprice on the headstock. I personally looked and didn't have a problem with it.

As far as sound, I personally think it sounds good. I don't own an amp as I'm a beginner and really just play around with my acoustic or with my cheap electrical on Rocksmith, that being said, this is a definite improvement over my cheap electrical which is an iAxe393. I don't get any of the standby buzzing I get with the iAxe. In addition to picking up the Route 66, I picked up the Mini headphone amplifier. This works fine for it's usage. I do notice a lot of static when I move up the gain though. I played the guitar for about an hour and it stayed in tune. Even youtubed a les paul riff and it sounded pretty similar with the exception of them sounding better, but I assume it's because I'm not as good with my transitions. Anyway, this is to tie everyone over until someone with a better ear than me and experience can chirp in what they think.

GalaxTek 06-13-2013 01:12 AM

I snagged a California Classic Sunburst, it's a very good deal on a good quality strat, with coupon, it comes to $72 plus shipping.

This is about as good as it gets for a strat that isn't a toy quality. You could wait for five years for a fire sale with potentially better quality guitar, but this is a good deal if you are in a market for electric guitar to start off. You simply cannot go wrong for this price, and the quality for Monoprice guitar seems to have been consistent.

dealstorm 06-13-2013 01:47 AM

Any thoughts on how these compare to the Maestro by Gibson?

snorkeler 06-13-2013 03:22 PM

C'mon, the suspense is killing me, let me hear some reviews!

tiredofspam 06-13-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorkeler (Post 60085116)
C'mon, the suspense is killing me, let me hear some reviews!

Yeah!!! Mine won't be delivered until Monday. I wanna know!!!

drac 06-13-2013 08:02 PM

Anyone else get fret buzz? I fiddled with it and it's a lot better, but still there. Seems like the nut is maybe a tad low on the 3 top strings (E, A, D).

Scurbdog 06-13-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac (Post 60090184)
Anyone else get fret buzz? I fiddled with it and it's a lot better, but still there. Seems like the nut is maybe a tad low on the 3 top strings (E, A, D).

Yes my strings seems to low. Some fret buzz. How do I adjust this? Truss Rod?

willardcomics 06-14-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac (Post 60090184)

Fret buzz here too on E,A, and D. I ordered on of the "Modern" guitars, not the "Classic".

eeddings 06-14-2013 06:50 AM

I suggest taking to a luthier or watch videos on youtube on guitar setup.

drac 06-14-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurbdog (Post 60090992)

Kind of depends on the situation but from what I've read, it's most likely that. In my case, neck bows in so much that when pressing on the string at the first and last frets, the string touches pretty much everywhere (it's not supposed to). Visually, I can see a very slight bow. Would probably take a while loosening the truss rod.

malibuman 06-16-2013 05:54 PM

Recieved my Route 66 Vintage Friday and there is a chip broke out on the top by the side. Since the chip wasn't in the bag, it had to be sent in that condition. Kinda disappointed.

radengr 06-16-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

My top E string has some fret buzz as well. I haven't gone through this myself yet, but this guide seems like a reasonable place to start:
7-steps-to-setting-up-your-guitar [tutsplus.com]

You might as well put on a new set of better strings before you go through the setup. Should only run you $5 or so.

My guitar arrived with a broken selector switch. Monoprice is now permanently out of stock and so only offering me a return RMA (rather than a replacement). I just decided to keep the guitar and replace the switch. The original was an enclosed/box style and not all that good. I'm replacing it with a Switchcraft style open switch (not an actual Switchcraft, because those have a 1/2" shaft and these guitars only have a 12mm switch hole). I may go ahead and replace the pots and capacitors while I'm at it. These guitars use metric sizes for those as well. It seems most people like CTS Pots but those have a 3/8" shaft rather than the 8mm on the monoprice so I'm going to use Alphas. If you have a similar problem and are even a little handy probably a good idea just to fix it yourself rather than returning the guitar. If my switch wasn't broken I wouldn't be bothering with upgrading the electronics at this time, but it seems like something I would want to do eventually.

I've still been playing it a bit and so far I am really enjoying it. I took at trip to a few local music stores over the weekend to buy a practice amp, and while I was out I tried various other cheap (and not so cheap) Les Paul clones. It would be nice if this has SAE rather than metric hardware (common on Chinese clones), but it seems like a good value compared to the ones I've played.

LindaMcQ 06-17-2013 03:22 AM

I am guessing that POS doesn't stand for Point Of Sale in this case!

BrianHSV 06-17-2013 06:28 PM

Just received my California Classic and my Route 66 Modern today. Both play quite nicely. The only buzz that occurred on mine was due to being tuned too low (basically vibration due to the string being too loose). As soon as both were in tune, they sounded great.

christop_chen 06-18-2013 07:23 AM

I bought the California Classic, but the "Master Luthier" was not on the ball as two of the strings buzz badly.

BrianHSV 06-18-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christop_chen (Post 60169548)
I bought the California Classic, but the "Master Luthier" was not on the ball as two of the strings buzz badly.

Can you determine where the buzz is coming from?

christop_chen 06-18-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianHSV (Post 60169642)
Can you determine where the buzz is coming from?

5th and 6th strings only, but I can't isolate the buzz.

tiredofspam 06-18-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radengr (Post 60142596)
My top E string has some fret buzz as well. I haven't gone through this myself yet, but this guide seems like a reasonable place to start:
7-steps-to-setting-up-your-guitar [tutsplus.com]

You might as well put on a new set of better strings before you go through the setup. Should only run you $5 or so.

My guitar arrived with a broken selector switch. Monoprice is now permanently out of stock and so only offering me a return RMA (rather than a replacement). I just decided to keep the guitar and replace the switch. The original was an enclosed/box style and not all that good. I'm replacing it with a Switchcraft style open switch (not an actual Switchcraft, because those have a 1/2" shaft and these guitars only have a 12mm switch hole). I may go ahead and replace the pots and capacitors while I'm at it. These guitars use metric sizes for those as well. It seems most people like CTS Pots but those have a 3/8" shaft rather than the 8mm on the monoprice so I'm going to use Alphas. If you have a similar problem and are even a little handy probably a good idea just to fix it yourself rather than returning the guitar. If my switch wasn't broken I wouldn't be bothering with upgrading the electronics at this time, but it seems like something I would want to do eventually.

I've still been playing it a bit and so far I am really enjoying it. I took at trip to a few local music stores over the weekend to buy a practice amp, and while I was out I tried various other cheap (and not so cheap) Les Paul clones. It would be nice if this has SAE rather than metric hardware (common on Chinese clones), but it seems like a good value compared to the ones I've played.

Got mine yesterday...same broken selector switch problem. I took it apart and fixed the switch but...

The guitar, itself, seems pretty solid. Neck is straight, action was set real low so there is some fret buzz. Didn't have time to really work it over (Hawks game on last night) so I'll monkey around with it over the next few days.

One thing that I did notice (besides the reallllllly cheap chinese plastic, switches, and pots), is that the frets are kind of course (for lack of a better term). I feel a resistance when trilling a string that I never felt with my other guitars...might need a bit of fret dressing.

I guess that I'm going to have to head over to GC to sit down with a real LP - haven't played electric in a long time and it's been over 20 years since I even handled an LP so I want to feel the difference. Since it seems fairly well made (for $99 it is hard to complain), I'm sorely tempted to throw a few hundred bucks at it and buy new hardware from StewMac...just for snicks. Regardless, from a couple of feet away, it sure looks nice.

eeagle 06-18-2013 09:18 AM

My black Route 66 Vintage made the cross country journey to FL yesterday w/o a scratch, the instrument is much nicer than expected, as all the reviewers say, and I can now verify.

I will admit I am a complete amateur (strummed an acoustic a few times) and picked this up to go w/the Rocksmith PS3 SW I bought in Apr from BestBuy (thx to SD). The Route 66 was slightly out of tune which the SW corrected first thing. From there it was off to play a few riffs.....I am really enjoying this guitar.

VorlonFrog 06-21-2013 12:16 PM

The upper E string on mine appears to be sitting too close to the frets, causing a bit of buzz, as well. I don't know if it's simply a tuning issue or if the nut was cut too deeply. Either way, I have an electronic tuner arriving this weekend, and I'll replace the nut if that's the source of the problem. It's definitely getting a newer set of strings in a few weeks, anyway.

GalaxTek 06-22-2013 09:17 PM

I got my California Classic, it looks great, but the Chinese dials are a bit cheap looking. Other than that, the finish of the guitar is awesome.

It's back to $90 price now though. I suppose it's not that big of a discount really, only 20%, so it's not epic discount that Slickdeals normally go for. Still, it's a good price for a brand new guitar.

arnesr 06-24-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxTek (Post 60270192)
I got my California Classic, it looks great, but the Chinese dials are a bit cheap looking. Other than that, the finish of the guitar is awesome.

It's back to $90 price now though. I suppose it's not that big of a discount really, only 20%, so it's not epic discount that Slickdeals normally go for. Still, it's a good price for a brand new guitar.

I got an email stating that their ProAudio equipment is 10% off with code: MUSICDAY thru 6/30/2013. Not as good at OP's 20% off, but not bad if you missed out.

kwadguy 06-25-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Use it for firewood and buy a decent guitar.

kwadguy 06-25-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christop_chen (Post 60169548)

I think you missed this part:

"Your guitar will be checked out by Master Luthier, our janitor, to make sure they are made of wood, have no more than six chips out of the wood, and that the attached strings are not entirely corroded."

Master Luther is his name. Janitor is his game.

birdwax 06-25-2013 06:33 PM

For those who just bought their first electric guitar, it's pretty common for even more expensive guitars to ship set up poorly. A couple of years ago, I had to return a Standard Stratocaster twice, and that was a brand new $500 guitar from Musician's Friend. The third one wasn't perfect either, but I got tired of the process and kept it. (And no, I'm not picky: these were genuinely messed up.)

Oddly enough, the best set up guitar I bought was a BC Rich model that cost $77. It retailed for $200, but I doubt many people ever bought it at that price.

xecutionkrk 06-25-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdwax (Post 60334732)
For those who just bought their first electric guitar, it's pretty common for even more expensive guitars to ship set up poorly. A couple of years ago, I had to return a Standard Stratocaster twice, and that was a brand new $500 guitar from Musician's Friend. The third one wasn't perfect either, but I got tired of the process and kept it. (And no, I'm not picky: these were genuinely messed up.)

Oddly enough, the best set up guitar I bought was a BC Rich model that cost $77. It retailed for $200, but I doubt many people ever bought it at that price.

Yes .. shipping can ruin everything.. my $500 guitar broke in shipping that's nothing compared to getting a messed up setup for guitar when u receive it

VorlonFrog 06-26-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60321420)
Use it for firewood and buy a decent guitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60321494)
I think you missed this part:

"Your guitar will be checked out by Master Luthier, our janitor, to make sure they are made of wood, have no more than six chips out of the wood, and that the attached strings are not entirely corroded."

Master Luther is his name. Janitor is his game.

You're just a bright shining ray of sunshine, aren't ya?

kwadguy 06-26-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdwax (Post 60334732)

I have purchased multi thousand dollar name brand guitars that needed setup out of the box. And I've purchased $200 guitars that were almost perfect out of the box.

The difference between those thousand dollar guitars that needed a setup and this one, though, is that the multi thousand dollar guitar JUST needed the standard simple stuff: Maybe a turn or two of the truss rod, possibly new strings, and tuning.

These super cheapo guitars frequently have all kinds of problems that can't be solved in such a simple manner, and some of the comments above suggest those kinds of problems. For example, poorly finished frets (rough), frets that aren't level (string buzz), frets that aren't perfectly aligned (!), neck that isn't fully straight, neck poorly attached to body, tuners that don't stay in tune, hardware (pots, switches) that aren't wired correctly, or are otherwise defective, etc. All kinds of stuff that you can't fix easily, and a "Master Luthier" isn't going to be able to do in the 2-5 minutes he has allocated to each guitar before it's pushed out the door.

birdwax 06-26-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwadguy (Post 60349324)
I have purchased multi thousand dollar name brand guitars that needed setup out of the box. And I've purchased $200 guitars that were almost perfect out of the box.

The difference between those thousand dollar guitars that needed a setup and this one, though, is that the multi thousand dollar guitar JUST needed the standard simple stuff: Maybe a turn or two of the truss rod, possibly new strings, and tuning.

These super cheapo guitars frequently have all kinds of problems that can't be solved in such a simple manner, and some of the comments above suggest those kinds of problems. For example, poorly finished frets (rough), frets that aren't level (string buzz), frets that aren't perfectly aligned (!), neck that isn't fully straight, neck poorly attached to body, tuners that don't stay in tune, hardware (pots, switches) that aren't wired correctly, or are otherwise defective, etc. All kinds of stuff that you can't fix easily, and a "Master Luthier" isn't going to be able to do in the 2-5 minutes he has allocated to each guitar before it's pushed out the door.

Well, it's obvious that a thousand dollar guitar is likely to have better quality control than a cheaper guitar, whether $100 or $200. But those aren't the kinds of guitars that the people on this thread are buying. First time guitar players are not going to buy thousand dollar guitars.

So the real choice is between something like this and maybe a model that costs up to $300. I can't really agree that guitars in that price range are so consistently flawed that they're worthless. Obviously a $300 is likely to be better than a $100 guitar, but I've seen many guitars in the latter price range. Some of them are very bad, like you say, but many are not bad at all, in absolute terms or in comparison to expectations. And honestly, the kinds of problems that you mentioned like frets that aren't level are pretty unusual even in this price range.

The other problem when evaluating guitars like this through reviews is that beginners have a hard time getting any guitar to sound good. So when they complain about something like fret buzz, it's impossible to tell whether there's anything wrong with the guitar.

VorlonFrog 06-26-2013 06:06 PM

I tuned mine this past weekend, and there's still buzz/rattle on the upper E string, which appears to be the nut having been cut too deeply for that string. It's a problem, but not a HUGE problem. The frets are all very nicely finished and level. The neck is sturdy and straight. In all, this guitar was well worth what I paid for it.

AC3 06-27-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VorlonFrog (Post 60358430)
I tuned mine this past weekend, and there's still buzz/rattle on the upper E string, which appears to be the nut having been cut too deeply for that string. It's a problem, but not a HUGE problem. The frets are all very nicely finished and level. The neck is sturdy and straight. In all, this guitar was well worth what I paid for it.

Thanks for the update. Did you make any truss or bridge adjustments? I'm noticing the same fret buzz on upper E, even when played open, on my Route 66 classic. The frets seem well seated, level & smooth.
Hard for me to tell if the nut may be cut too deep....but I'm thinking there may be a tad too much backbow, as when I apply some light manual upward flex to the neck, around the 2nd fret, the buzz disappears.

So I'm not sure if I should play with the truss rod, or first try slightly raising the bridge?

VorlonFrog 06-28-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC3 (Post 60364402)
Thanks for the update. Did you make any truss or bridge adjustments? I'm noticing the same fret buzz on upper E, even when played open, on my Route 66 classic. The frets seem well seated, level & smooth.
Hard for me to tell if the nut may be cut too deep....but I'm thinking there may be a tad too much backbow, as when I apply some light manual upward flex to the neck, around the 2nd fret, the buzz disappears.

So I'm not sure if I should play with the truss rod, or first try slightly raising the bridge?

I didn't want to go so far as adjusting the truss rod, because I figured that was pretty much set. Plus, a visual inspection of the nut shows how deeply cut it actually is. I slid the micro-sized Allen/hex wrench under that E-string, right next to the nut, and the buzz disappeared. I suspect switching to a heavier gauge string set may help, but if the nut is cut too deeply for the factory strings, I figure it's only a short matter of time before a larger/heavier string wears down the nut and I have to replace the $7 part, anyway.

VorlonFrog 06-30-2013 07:30 AM

I loosened that E string up enough to raise the bridge at the bottom end of the string, just about 1mm. It seems to have reduced the buzz quite a bit. I still think replacing the nut and strings will make it sound a helluva lot better, though.

VorlonFrog 07-16-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VorlonFrog (Post 60423356)
I loosened that E string up enough to raise the bridge at the bottom end of the string, just about 1mm. It seems to have reduced the buzz quite a bit. I still think replacing the nut and strings will make it sound a helluva lot better, though.

FYI, in case anyone bothers reading, after a new Tusq XL nut and a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings, this thing sounds like a real champ with a lot more depth of tone. Just amazing, really, for less than $20 and 30 minutes of time to replace the nut and strings.