Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Costco BM Costco.com Champion 7000 / 9000 Watt Generator $549.00 6/13-7/7 (http://slickdeals.net/f/6087514-costco-bm-costco-com-champion-7000-9000-watt-generator-549-00-6-13-7-7)

Jdmalibu 06-12-2013 12:05 PM

Costco BM Costco.com Champion 7000 / 9000 Watt Generator $549.00 6/13-7/7

1 Attachment(s)
$549 In Store
$699 Online Shipping Included

http://www.costco.com/Champion-7%...39047.html

I spoke with a Costco.com Rep today, they informed me that they were waiting for inventory, and to check on-line tomorrow 6/14.

Champion Power Equipment
Portable Gas Generator
7000 Running
9000 Peak
Remote Control electric start
Battery and Oil included
Never-flat wheels

$549.00, it is listed in the monthly coupon book found here
http://slickdeals.net/f/6079866-Costco-coupons-June-13-July-7-2013

When this goes live on the website, it may be free shipping, as they have done in the past.

mhurne 06-12-2013 12:29 PM

Good deal, thanks OP!

fourml8r 06-12-2013 12:33 PM

i picked this up last year, good deal for the money. powers everything in my house except for my instant water heater that uses 120 (3x40 amps). it will run 2 of the 3 circuits but if i try to run the third one the generator wants to stall out. but no other generator (even at double the price) will run it either.

moSom 06-12-2013 12:42 PM

Bought this last year and had to return it because a couple months later we received a letter from the manufacturer via Costco about a recall. Units that fell under a certain range of serial no's were part of a recall due to a defect. Back then it was $599 AC. Good thing we bought it from Costco too; no hassle with returning it.

Tempted to try again now that's it's $50 cheaper. Just hope there's no recall this time around.

Edit:

And what I mean by that is hopefully not another, future recall, ...separate (different) from the one they had in the past.
VV

fourml8r 06-12-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moSom (Post 60054998)
Bought this last year and had to return it because a couple months later we received a letter from the manufacturer via Costco about a recall. Units that fell under a certain range of serial no's were part of a recall due to a defect. Back then it was $599 AC. Good thing we bought it from Costco too; no hassle with returning it.

Tempted to try again now that's it's $50 cheaper. Just hope there's no recall this time around.

the recalled lots were made almost 2 years ago (Nov-Dec 2011), so they should be long gone from inventory by now.

http://www.championpowerequipment...and-41332/

Jdmalibu 06-12-2013 01:17 PM

I have had this on my wishlist for sometime now......I really would like the Honeywell deal costco put out about a year ago, but that may not ever happen. So this looks like a good choice for the price, power, and brand.

FBomb 06-12-2013 06:26 PM

Purchased a home about two years ago.....electric has gone out three times. First time no one was home and we lost everything in the fridge/freezer. Next two times was only out a couple of hours and was able to salvage most of the food due to the fact it was winter.

I grew up in the neighborhood and remember the electric only going out maybe three times in 18 years.

If I purchase this,what is a realistic life expectancy for this type of equipment with regular maintenance?

BendingUnit 06-12-2013 08:13 PM

Been waiting on this deal to come back for a long time. Some rough weather is heading this way now so I almost went out and bought one today because I was tired of waiting. I'll definitely be first in line tomorrow morning.

Deal Explorer 06-12-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBomb (Post 60062924)
Purchased a home about two years ago.....electric has gone out three times. First time no one was home and we lost everything in the fridge/freezer. Next two times was only out a couple of hours and was able to salvage most of the food due to the fact it was winter.

I grew up in the neighborhood and remember the electric only going out maybe three times in 18 years.

If I purchase this,what is a realistic life expectancy for this type of equipment with regular maintenance?

Of course, if nobody is home to turn this bad boy on and plug in your fridge, having one of these won't save your food. However, it is a lot cheaper than one of those permanently installed LNG units that will turn itself on during a blackout.

timsy 06-12-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Kept clean, dry and perhaps started a couple times a year and then turning off the fuel and running the carb bowl dry it will last decades. *BUT* you can't leave any gas in it if you don't use it. I leave mine with a small amount of stabilized gas in it and pump some out the car when I need more.

If it doesn't come with one, it is very worth it to put a shut off valve on the fuel line.

astraelraen 06-12-2013 09:13 PM

These things are super heavy just an FYI I think it weighs ~200lbs, even though it has wheels and a handle they aren't portable. We bought one to use with our RV to run the AC, etc and had to sell it on craigslist because it wasn't practical to load and unload in a pickup truck bed.

You can't beat the power for the price though.

cleonard 06-12-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsy (Post 60065356)
Kept clean, dry and perhaps started a couple times a year and then turning off the fuel and running the carb bowl dry it will last decades. *BUT* you can't leave any gas in it if you don't use it. I leave mine with a small amount of stabilized gas in it and pump some out the car when I need more.

If it doesn't come with one, it is very worth it to put a shut off valve on the fuel line.

What they don't have is a long running life. Perhaps a few hundred hours. Now in backup service that can be decades.

Jdmalibu 06-13-2013 05:58 AM

I updated the link on my original post, and added details about the unit being OOS.

Jdmalibu 06-13-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

I spent 2 weeks without electricity in the past 2 years living in suburbia CT. With population growth compounding, and the energy grid busting at the seams, a generator can be a good investment for the safety of your family.

ysert 06-13-2013 06:19 AM

You are lucky to trash the food only. During Sandy, lost power, battery back-up for sump pump depleted in I believe 4-5 hours, my basement flooded. Damage in the most-empty basement that was kind of my daughter's playground was about $40K. Most if not all paid by homeowner's insurance but clean up and construction lasted about 5 months. I bought 3500W generator but after talking to couple contractors for installation, I am going for a little bigger one like this. Electric start sounds great, remote control would not be much pluss as it'll be in my garage when not in use... Well worth few hundred dollar investment.

Quote:

FBomb 06-13-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmalibu (Post 60070520)
I spent 2 weeks without electricity in the past 2 years living in suburbia CT. With population growth compounding, and the energy grid busting at the seams, a generator can be a good investment for the safety of your family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysert (Post 60070732)
You are lucky to trash the food only. During Sandy, lost power, battery back-up for sump pump depleted in I believe 4-5 hours, my basement flooded. Damage in the most-empty basement that was kind of my daughter's playground was about $40K. Most if not all paid by homeowner's insurance but clean up and construction lasted about 5 months. I bought 3500W generator but after talking to couple contractors for installation, I am going for a little bigger one like this. Electric start sounds great, remote control would not be much pluss as it'll be in my garage when not in use... Well worth few hundred dollar investment.

Thanks for your insight. Saw that it is now OOS online....I may run to the local Costco near my place of employment to see if they have in store.

The electric start may be useful for me if my wife needs to start it. It'll be in my garage when not in use but hopefully she will be able to wheel it the 30 feet from the garage to the transfer switch.

waterford5301 06-13-2013 08:14 AM

I was checking the website and it went OOS pretty fast. I called my local Costco at 9:30 to check stock (they had 10). When I got there at 10:30 only 6 left after I bought mine. Thanks OP!

treoguy 06-13-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterford5301 (Post 60073452)
I was checking the website and it went OOS pretty fast. I called my local Costco at 9:30 to check stock (they had 10). When I got there at 10:30 only 6 left after I bought mine. Thanks OP!

Is this something that can be put in the back of an SUV? Does it require more than one person to lift into a truck/SUV?

kschlege 06-13-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treoguy (Post 60076418)
Is this something that can be put in the back of an SUV? Does it require more than one person to lift into a truck/SUV?

Probably can fit in the back of a large SUV.

Dimensions: (L x W x H") 27.5"x27.0"x26.0"

Would require at least 2 people to lift, if not 3.

Weight: 220.0 lbs

fourml8r 06-13-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treoguy (Post 60076418)

This is heavy, 2+ people to lift. My wife picked ours up and was able to get a worker from costco to help her load.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBomb (Post 60070992)
Thanks for your insight. Saw that it is now OOS online....I may run to the local Costco near my place of employment to see if they have in store.

The electric start may be useful for me if my wife needs to start it. It'll be in my garage when not in use but hopefully she will be able to wheel it the 30 feet from the garage to the transfer switch.

The remote is good for me since mine is outside (In a covered shed).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysert (Post 60070732)

3500W is really enough to keep one big sump pump going. 2 pumps and it will be struggling if they both kick on at the same time. That is the exact reason I upgraded was to prevent flooding in my finished basement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmalibu (Post 60070520)

Agreed. I don't ever recall losing power for any significant time growing up. But in the past 5 years we have had several power outages (Usually hours), but several days last year due to Sandy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deal Explorer (Post 60064944)
Of course, if nobody is home to turn this bad boy on and plug in your fridge, having one of these won't save your food. However, it is a lot cheaper than one of those permanently installed LNG units that will turn itself on during a blackout.

You can do a generator + interlock kit for a bit over $1,000 installed. You can justify that in potential lost food easily. And yes someone does need to be home to start it. But the standby ones are easily 2-3X that amount IF you have existing gas. If not add in the cost of a BIG propane tank to the bill. Maybe it you lost power a lot, then I could see it.

KN1GHTS 06-13-2013 06:11 PM

It's available on Costco.com now for $550 with free shipping. LINK [costco.com]

Jdmalibu 06-13-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KN1GHTS (Post 60088208)
It's available on Costco.com now for $550 with free shipping. LINK [costco.com]

I can't get it to work....showing 699

KN1GHTS 06-13-2013 07:12 PM

Kind of weird that they showed $550 on their page but during checkout, they took $150 off the $850 price instead of $699.:confused: I bought one in the store this morning so I didn't try the checkout.

Jdmalibu 06-14-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KN1GHTS (Post 60089314)
Kind of weird that they showed $550 on their page but during checkout, they took $150 off the $850 price instead of $699.:confused: I bought one in the store this morning so I didn't try the checkout.

I really want this generator. Calling Costco.com to see if they will force the discount.

Jdmalibu 06-14-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmalibu (Post 60095704)
I really want this generator. Calling Costco.com to see if they will force the discount.

So the rep said $699 on-line because shipping is included. But if you want the $549 price, it is available in-store.

That really blows, but I think I'll make the trip for in-store purchase, at least I live in a sales tax free state.

counter22 06-14-2013 01:06 PM

I live in Montana and the power has only flickered on and off a few times and the longest it was ever out was maybe 4-5 hours. I bought this generator this morning just for emergency preparedness reasons. I have already purchased an alternate fuel converter kit for it, so I will essentially run it on natural gas or propane instead of gasoline when I need to hook it up to the house. I will post a YouTube video in a few weeks showing the installation and how things went. For the price and getting it with the 2 year warranty from Costco, it is the best deal out there right now for size, price, and warranty. I previously looked at the 7000/8750 Predator Gen from Harbor Freight and the best price I saw on that one was $499 but you still needed to buy the wheel kit, a battery for the electric start, it only had a 90 day warranty, and no remote start capability. For $30 more you get the wheel kit, a battery, the remote start, and the 2 year warranty. Totally worth it. Cheers!

Deal Explorer 06-14-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counter22 (Post 60105812)
I live in Montana and the power has only flickered on and off a few times and the longest it was ever out was maybe 4-5 hours. I bought this generator this morning just for emergency preparedness reasons. I have already purchased an alternate fuel converter kit for it, so I will essentially run it on natural gas or propane instead of gasoline when I need to hook it up to the house. I will post a YouTube video in a few weeks showing the installation and how things went. For the price and getting it with the 2 year warranty from Costco, it is the best deal out there right now for size, price, and warranty. I previously looked at the 7000/8750 Predator Gen from Harbor Freight and the best price I saw on that one was $499 but you still needed to buy the wheel kit, a battery for the electric start, it only had a 90 day warranty, and no remote start capability. For $30 more you get the wheel kit, a battery, the remote start, and the 2 year warranty. Totally worth it. Cheers!

Can you give us a link for the fuel converter kit you bought?

FBomb 06-14-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counter22 (Post 60105812)

If you remember....please post a link to the youtube video here.

counter22 06-14-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deal Explorer (Post 60111902)
Can you give us a link for the fuel converter kit you bought?

I ordered the 'C' kit from uscarb.com. Runs about $200 with shipping. Will post the vid link when I get done.

doctorman 06-16-2013 12:15 AM

powerland has the trifuel units fro 1100 shipped no tax 8500 starting

not sure if I should go with that or just get this 550+tax (hauling it home) and spend 300$ or more on converting it. saw some people offer to convert it to tri fuel for 300$ on craigslist.

Almost everyone has Natural gas and I am surprised why we do not see more of NAtural gas units around.

doctorman 06-16-2013 10:05 AM

can this run in a rainy /snowy weather outside. how do you deal with that?

applesource 06-16-2013 03:12 PM

sorry for being a noob, but i want a generator for a new home in New England. what fuel does this use? diesel, gas? sorry...any help appreciated, please be kind

kk_wild 06-16-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applesource (Post 60138508)
sorry for being a noob, but i want a generator for a new home in New England. what fuel does this use? diesel, gas? sorry...any help appreciated, please be kind

It uses gas (standard unleaded pump gas).

Any gas generator can be converted to run off natural gas or propane.

kk_wild 06-16-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorman (Post 60134162)
can this run in a rainy /snowy weather outside. how do you deal with that?

Yes it can be run in rain or snow. Snow is going to melt on contact because the running generator will be hot.

You probably don't want rainwater pooling around the generator because the cable running from the generator to your house might short out. A gravel pad would be a good base for the generator.

Jdmalibu 06-17-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk_wild (Post 60139548)
Yes it can be run in rain or snow. Snow is going to melt on contact because the running generator will be hot.

You probably don't want rainwater pooling around the generator because the cable running from the generator to your house might short out. A gravel pad would be a good base for the generator.

Thanks, this is a great idea.

Jdmalibu 06-18-2013 02:21 PM

I saw this same unit today at BJ's Wholesale Club for $699

tooslow 06-20-2013 01:52 PM

7000 running watts generator coming to Costco - $550

I'm just looking though the Costco coupon book and noticed that they've reduced the price of their 7000/9000 watt, electric/remote start, Champion Power generator. Comes with battery, oil and wheels. The deal is good 06/13-07/07. The warehouse price WILL BE $549.99 - no coupon necessary.
Item number 690852
Looking at Costco.com, I'm confused at to what the price will be on-line, so consider this, at this time, a warehouse deal, only.
http://www.costco.com/Champion-7%...reId=10301

I believe this to be a pretty terrific price on a beefy-enough generator.

thegreatfixer 06-20-2013 01:56 PM

thanks

wish they had a CA legal 10,000w Diesel

nahcyrag 06-20-2013 01:57 PM

do you mean this one?

repost link

oceanlake 06-20-2013 02:11 PM

hows the return policy on these.... just in case a hurricane doesn't hit this year?

tooslow 06-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nahcyrag (Post 60226542)
do you mean this one?

repost link

Yes... that would be the one.
Thank you for pointing that out.
I'll remember not to post, next time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanlake (Post 60226810)
hows the return policy on these.... just in case a hurricane doesn't hit this year?

Costco's usual satisfaction guarantee.

mutha_scratcha 06-20-2013 02:50 PM

$70 a day to run this hoss at 50% during a power outage. .72 of a gallon/hour @ $4/gallon * 24 hours.
Better hope the gas station has power, so you can go buy the 17 gallons of gas for it.
But when you need to run everything and sit like a king, this is it.

fourml8r 06-20-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutha_scratcha (Post 60227650)
$70 a day to run this hoss at 50% during a power outage. .72 of a gallon/hour @ $4/gallon * 24 hours.
Better hope the gas station has power, so you can go buy the 17 gallons of gas for it.
But when you need to run everything and sit like a king, this is it.

i have this generator and it cost me nowhere near that to run it. most people will not run them at a continuous 50% load.

i would run it a few hours in the morning to cool the fridge down and run the heat to warm up the house. then a few hours at night (again to cool the fridge and run heat) and put on a few lights. by 10PM turn it off so i don't annoy the neighbors (it is loud). but then again all the neighbors come over to charge their cell phones and eat some hot food so i guess they can't complain.

also the deal is available B&M only. The online price is higher (Already includes the $150 off) since it includes S&H.

mutha_scratcha 06-20-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourml8r (Post 60228212)
i have this generator and it cost me nowhere near that to run it. most people will not run them at a continuous 50% load.

i would run it a few hours in the morning to cool the fridge down and run the heat to warm up the house. then a few hours at night (again to cool the fridge and run heat) and put on a few lights. by 10PM turn it off so i don't annoy the neighbors (it is loud). but then again all the neighbors come over to charge their cell phones and eat some hot food so i guess they can't complain.

also the deal is available B&M only. The online price is higher (Already includes the $150 off) since it includes S&H.

I can run my fridge and heat on my Honda 2000watt, I thought people that buy these large generators ran them all the time and hooked up all their stuff to them.

Seems like a waste if you don't ring out the full 7000watts

I also like to throw this link out there for these type thread.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/alten...tquiet.htm

c_nitty 06-20-2013 05:13 PM

Slick deal I paid alittle more for a used generator with 7550 watts.

bgammill 06-20-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c_nitty (Post 60230060)
Slick deal I paid alittle more for a used generator with 7550 watts.

Ah yes! Craig's list in October 2008 after Hurricane Ike hit this area! You could buy a generator set with less than one weeks run time for 60% off! Such a deal...:lol:

Jdmalibu 06-21-2013 09:42 AM

I finally got mine, glad I had an extra hand available.

fourml8r 06-21-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutha_scratcha (Post 60228980)
I can run my fridge and heat on my Honda 2000watt, I thought people that buy these large generators ran them all the time and hooked up all their stuff to them.

Seems like a waste if you don't ring out the full 7000watts

I also like to throw this link out there for these type thread.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/alten...tquiet.htm

everyone has different uses. i have a finished basement and when it rains (several inches) we do get water in our sump pit. i have 2 big pumps and a small pump in the pit. i used to own a 4000w generator except that could barely keep the 2 pumps running. now throw in a fridge, lights, something to cook on etc. and it was under powered. so i upgraded to this one and also put in a 240v hook up to feed my panel (using an interlock kit).

doctorman 07-01-2013 11:28 AM

can someone please help me decide

I know this is a good price for what it is but I really need one that I can connect to my natural gas line so I dont have to worry about running out of fuel.

I found this http://www.powerlandonline.com/pr...Start.html
Item #: PDN6500E powerland
for 800$ shipped it is a bit weaker but it has natural gas and comes to my home free shipping not tax
vs. Costco which is stronger but I have to pick it up in store plus tax for 600$ or pay extra 100$ online and still have to get a tri fuel kit which costs another 200$ from uscarb.com with installation.

I just need it for the basics in th house 2 fridge freezers , TV, and gas water heater everything under 5K most probably.

So should I go with the link from powerland? does anyone know a better deal for me a generator with natural gas?

PuvMan 07-05-2013 09:26 PM

Picked this up, thanks OP

Looking into the trifuel kit from uscarbs.com - it will add approx $250 to the cost, but almost priceless when you figure it allows for an endless fuel supply.... I do plan on picking up an extra 5 gallon fuel container and keeping some gas stored (with stabilizer) as well, just in case. I figure I can dump it in my truck every 2 months and refill to ensure it doesn't go bad.

Overkill? probably. PITA? yes. But i'll be happier than I was during Sandy the next time something happens.

PuvMan 07-16-2013 11:30 AM

For anyone interested, I picked up an extra fuel can from here, was the best price for an excellent rated design:

http://www.equipsupply.com/produc...d-No-Spill

Also got the extension to make it easier to pout into the tank:
http://www.equipsupply.com/produc...-Extension

counter22 08-14-2013 08:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM45uan2TkY

Here is the link to a video I made of taking this Costco Generator and converting it to run on tri-fuel from a kit I bought on US Carb. Enjoy!