Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Costco - Johnny Walker Blue Label $113 (http://slickdeals.net/f/6090612-costco-johnny-walker-blue-label-113)

Kawfee 06-13-2013 03:22 PM

Costco - Johnny Walker Blue Label $113
 
1 Attachment(s)
Went to my local Costco in Southern California and came across Johnny Walker Blue Label for $113 after instant rebate taken at register

wikipost 06-13-2013 03:22 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)
 
On 6/12/2013 it was $113 at: 115 Technology West Drive Irvine, CA 92618-2408. [goo.gl]

dougpaw57 06-13-2013 03:41 PM

The Costco in Lancaster, CA has it for $128 ($155 with a $27 coupon).

HaHaAtSimon 06-13-2013 03:42 PM

In Seattle might be like 120-30.... freaking WA alcohol taxes..

lukster 06-13-2013 03:55 PM

Chicago $169

The_Linux_Crew 06-13-2013 04:03 PM

I knew a diplomat who could get this stuff super cheap due to tax exemptions. I can't remember how much he paid, but it was ridiculously cheap.

selz202 06-13-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaHaAtSimon (Post 60085398)
In Seattle might be like 120-30.... freaking WA alcohol taxes..

Probably more

Add 20.5% and $3.77 per liter.

adam22 06-13-2013 04:18 PM

Is there any reason this stuff is so expensive? Not bashing at all, just curious.

RIT333 06-13-2013 04:21 PM

JW Blue
 
Because people are willing to pay it !

glassnapkins 06-13-2013 04:23 PM

Does this mean there are liquor coupons at the entrance now?

broadwayblue 06-13-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam22 (Post 60086120)
Is there any reason this stuff is so expensive? Not bashing at all, just curious.

Diageo spends millions and millions marketing it as "the" premium whisky. It's decent, but for $100+ there are dozens of better options out there. Mainly JWB is what people get who want to buy a "nice" bottle of something for someone as a gift. There aren't that many experienced whisky drinkers who buy it for themselves...no point in spending that kind of money when the bottle is half full of grain alcohol.

walsy37 06-13-2013 04:31 PM

Honestly for $100 - you could do so much better. Johnny Walker sucks, doesn't matter what the color. Take your $120 and buy a Macallan 18. You'll be much, much happier.

bimmer 06-13-2013 04:36 PM

blended whisky for more than $100? SMH

Eaglefan 06-13-2013 04:36 PM

That is a good price that I will check out in SC. I wish they would save the $20 on the packaging and pass the saving on. This is very smooth and you would enjoy it.

broadwayblue 06-13-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsy37 (Post 60086382)
Honestly for $100 - you could do so much better. Johnny Walker sucks, doesn't matter what the color. Take your $120 and buy a Macallan 18. You'll be much, much happier.

Unfortunately Mac 18 is now closer to $175 after their recent price hikes. But there are still tons of quality single malts for around $100 that will blow away the JWB.

calbear629 06-13-2013 04:44 PM

kirkland macallan distillery scotch is solid!

leroy_sunset 06-13-2013 04:47 PM

I thought JWB is $120 7 days a week. It retails for more?

abarajame 06-13-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laphroaigh (Post 60086392)
Exactly...marketing.....a good single malt beats this at half the price.

Costco has a 18yo for $50, kirkland brand or a 20 yo for $60

Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

cconklin1 06-13-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew (Post 60085824)
I knew a diplomat who could get this stuff super cheap due to tax exemptions. I can't remember how much he paid, but it was ridiculously cheap.

cool story bro..

x_ge0rge 06-13-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawfee (Post 60085104)
Went to my local Costco in Southern California and came across Johnny Walker Blue Label for $113 after instant rebate taken at register

which location in so cal??

droidintime 06-13-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cconklin1 (Post 60086724)
cool story bro..

:hug:

hc000 06-13-2013 04:57 PM

Any chance someone got this price in GA? It appears only CA have good JW prices...

fitzejunk 06-13-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

Might be a hair over $50, but Woodford Reserve is a superb Kentucky bourbon.

cheapofillipo 06-13-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

Glenfarclas 15 year or get a laphroaig, those might be enjoyed by your friend, I know they would be enjoyed by me :o)

thehash 06-13-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam22 (Post 60086120)
Is there any reason this stuff is so expensive? Not bashing at all, just curious.

because it has a blue label on it. i like all johnny walkers but if ur going to buy expensive scotch look else where

stryder 06-13-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

For under $50 I'd go with a bottle of Michael Collins 10yr Single Malt Whiskey [proof66.com]. It's a bit hard to find though, not widely distributed. It has a high rating on proof66.com.

mortdog 06-13-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

Glenlivet

cheapofillipo 06-13-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzejunk (Post 60086978)
Might be a hair over $50, but Woodford Reserve is a superb Kentucky bourbon.

whiskey/whisky??

TR99 06-13-2013 05:09 PM

I love Grangestone 12. Less than $30 and very clean, delicious, slightly sweet and my day to day drink. On special occasions, I enjoy Laphroaig Quarter Cask Double Cask. It's closer to $80 and a much different flavor profile. Very nice though. My buddy has been wanting the JWB. Might have to get him an early birthday gift.

stryder 06-13-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapofillipo (Post 60087122)
whiskey/whisky??

Depending in country of origin it's either whiskey or whisky. link [nytimes.com]

Trolololo 06-13-2013 05:13 PM

you can buy Johnnie Walked from China for $20 USD and 1982 Lafite for $100USD

crice 06-13-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

Macallan 12 YR is around $45

sd_sd_sd 06-13-2013 05:26 PM

Damn VABC in VA :-(

fitzejunk 06-13-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapofillipo (Post 60087122)
whiskey/whisky??

Yes, bourbon is whiskey.

shockrock3 06-13-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

In that price range def. go with Macallan 12yr. or The Ballvenie. Two fine choices.

yabadabadoo 06-13-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laphroaigh (Post 60086722)
Glenmorangie....try the sherry, port or sauternes finish.

I love those

+1 on Glen..my absolute fav!! ;)

bjreich7 06-13-2013 05:55 PM

Yes a good price for JW Blue but I agree with the posters that say you can get a much tastier scotch for significantly cheaper. Also, the Kirkland brand 20yo is similar in my opinion to Old Pulteney 12 which is around $35 only I actually like the Old Pulteney better. Thing about scotch though is that it's all about what YOU like not what other people like. These are just my opinions. If you genuinely like JW Blue then get this, it's a slick deal.

cheapofillipo 06-13-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shockrock3 (Post 60087504)
In that price range def. go with Macallan 12yr. or The Ballvenie. Two fine choices.

I second the balvenie, the 15 year is very nice if you want to spend a little extra. the 17 year peated cask is a bit much though (I am not a fan but you might like it).

luk350 06-13-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryder (Post 60087088)
For under $50 I'd go with a bottle of Michael Collins 10yr Single Malt Whiskey [proof66.com]. It's a bit hard to find though, not widely distributed. It has a high rating on proof66.com.

Great choice! One of my favorites.

notaxstate 06-13-2013 07:10 PM

Balvenie Doublewood & Ardbeg FTW ! There are so many single malt options available, you could probably drink a different one every week for rest of your life. Remember years are very important, but complexity of taste is what makes single malt whiskey better. Macallan has amazing complexity in taste when you look at their higher end stuff.

If you live in UK, it's incredible stuff you can get that never sees the light of day anywhere across the world.

morchus 06-13-2013 08:43 PM

slick deal whisky
 
i am sure there are tons of really good (but expensive) whiskys around. If you ask me, i found really very few quality whisky around the price range I want to buy frequently. You will be surprised that many of them are not from the countries you expect. For example have anyone tried amrut single malt?

broadwayblue 06-13-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morchus (Post 60090784)
i am sure there are tons of really good (but expensive) whiskys around. If you ask me, i found really very few quality whisky around the price range I want to buy frequently. You will be surprised that many of them are not from the countries you expect. For example have anyone tried amrut single malt?

I'm familiar with it, but never tried Indian whisky. What is the price range you are referring to?

morchus 06-13-2013 08:59 PM

around the $50 mark. Everytime I pour some of these to my friends, they think it is some expensive scottish stuff. I enjoy the look on their face, once I show them the bottle. I specified amrut, because that really surprised many of my friends with the price vs quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 60090810)
I'm familiar with it, but never tried Indian whisky. What is the price range you are referring to?


attgig 06-13-2013 09:15 PM

at 50 bucks, i usually go for glenlivet 12. I've tried a few others, but I think bang for the buck, glenlivet 12 is pretty solid.

HemiMuscle 06-13-2013 09:16 PM

Drink milk don't drink Alcohol.

RutgersUnion 06-13-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew (Post 60085824)
I knew a diplomat who could get this stuff super cheap due to tax exemptions. I can't remember how much he paid, but it was ridiculously cheap.

Here in NYC this is very common. There are duty free stores in the consulates which are only accessible by the diplomats but they can buy as much as they want. We used to have a friend get us handles of Blue Label for $225. They would also get us discount gift cards to department stores and movies.

machineo 06-13-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer (Post 60086472)
blended whisky for more than $100? SMH

I was raised with this same mindset. SMH = single malt homey

i3ighead 06-13-2013 09:50 PM

Is Glenlivet the one with the smoky taste? The one where it taste like you are drinking from a smoking pit?

thiennhu 06-13-2013 11:11 PM

Way better taste whiskey for half the price: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whisk...ld-whisky/

turb0 06-13-2013 11:29 PM

glenlivet 18 is usually ~$55 at costco

insyder 06-13-2013 11:35 PM

I never knew costco had a liquor dept till I went in by mistake a couple of months ago, thinking it was the exit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiMuscle (Post 60091302)
Drink milk don't drink Alcohol.

Almond, unsweetened

brimorga 06-13-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

You got some good suggestions already. I love the balvanie double wood and ardberg as someone else said for (slightly) less known brands.

These deals below are great value if they have them at your Costco.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6081464-Scotch-Deals-Costco-YMMV

The_Linux_Crew 06-14-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RutgersUnion (Post 60091558)
Here in NYC this is very common. There are duty free stores in the consulates which are only accessible by the diplomats but they can buy as much as they want. We used to have a friend get us handles of Blue Label for $225. They would also get us discount gift cards to department stores and movies.

The person I knew had a limit on how much he could buy. It was pretty generous, but not enough to stock up.

vcackerman 06-14-2013 05:58 AM

The best Johnnie Walker isn't the Blue - it's the Green which they are phasing out. If you haven't had green, it's in the 50 dollar range and tastes solid. Blue is too refined.

m5blitzer 06-14-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcackerman (Post 60095802)
The best Johnnie Walker isn't the Blue - it's the Green which they are phasing out. If you haven't had green, it's in the 50 dollar range and tastes solid. Blue is too refined.

My personal preference out of the range of Johnnie Walker is the Blue Label as it seems to go down better than the rest. During the blind taste test with my buddies, we would have a Red, Black and Blue label and I could tell the difference. Not sure if the Blue Label is worth the price and wished my local Costco had this before I got a new bottle for a higher price at my local grocery store. Now if you like cognac .... try Louis XIII. High octane but incredible.

wingsword 06-14-2013 06:08 AM

Thanks for the head-up.

vcackerman 06-14-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m5blitzer (Post 60095918)
My personal preference out of the range of Johnnie Walker is the Blue Label as it seems to go down better than the rest. During the blind taste test with my buddies, we would have a Red, Black and Blue label and I could tell the difference. Not sure if the Blue Label is worth the price and wished my local Costco had this before I got a new bottle for a higher price at my local grocery store. Now if you like cognac .... try Louis XIII. High octane but incredible.

Blue is more refined. It's good don't get me wrong, but I want character in my whisky. Green is a bit intense in comparison. It's all about what you like and what you can afford.

Black is a staple at my bar and for the cost is a nice introduction to whisky.

wizard7926 06-14-2013 06:23 AM

I enjoy the Blue. Drinks more like a SM than most blends. I do not care much for blends, but I found the Blue to have a decent amount of character for a blend.

My go-tos are Glenlivet 12, Bowmore 15, and the Kirkland 20.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yabadabadoo (Post 60087878)
+1 on Glen..my absolute fav!! ;)

Too many Glen's!

Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenkinchie, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas.. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by m5blitzer (Post 60095918)
we would have a Red, Black and Blue label and I could tell the difference.

Isn't the Red specifically for mixing?

vcackerman 06-14-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard7926 (Post 60096272)

Isn't the Red specifically for mixing?

It is. I'm sure you could try and drink it but yes, it's made to mix.

m5blitzer 06-14-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcackerman (Post 60096064)
Blue is more refined. It's good don't get me wrong, but I want character in my whisky. Green is a bit intense in comparison. It's all about what you like and what you can afford.

Black is a staple at my bar and for the cost is a nice introduction to whisky.

I agree with your comment about "refined" and "character" which is why this thread have me thinking about trying out the other brands. With the new coupon book at Costco, it is perfect timing for me to check out a 12 or 18 year scotch while my family do their shopping. :D

Cdub100 06-14-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzejunk (Post 60087442)
Yes, bourbon is whiskey.

All Boubon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

Cisco327 06-14-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiMuscle (Post 60091302)
Drink milk don't drink Alcohol.

2/3rds of the world is lactose intolerant, what are you trying to do, kill people?! :eek:

kasak 06-14-2013 07:18 AM

Dimple Pinch - http://www.masterofmalt.com/whisk...ld-whisky/
Johnny Walker Swing
Balvenie doublewood -single malt
Costco's speyside 20yr

bigpollack 06-14-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laphroaigh (Post 60092960)
No that is laphroaig

.....Laphroaigh


Agreed !!!

Laphroigh is definitely an " acquired " taste ....and by acquired...I mean nasty !

Kawfee 06-14-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_ge0rge (Post 60086750)
which location in so cal??

The one in Tustin off Bryan and Tustin Ranch and the one in Fountain Valley

mstang1988 06-14-2013 08:52 AM

If I can find Blue label at this price I'm in. The odd thing is I have had Blue label on several different occasions and because it's a blend it has tasted dramatically different (also, they switched the blend recently as a distillery went out of business for them). One Bottle was fantastic (about 7 years old now) and one of the best scotches I have ever tasted while others were "meh".

My personal favorites:
Glenomraingie Signet
Balvenie 17 Doublewood
A.D. Ratray Bowmore 20yr 1991
Dalmore Bordeaux Finesse

More Regular Drinkers:
Black Label, Green, Double Black
Balvenie 12, 15
Glenmoraigne original
Glenmorainge 18
Glenmoraigne ASTAR

I haven't had a whole lot of higher end scotches but have had a good amount of scotch.

mstang1988 06-14-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougpaw57 (Post 60085368)
The Costco in Lancaster, CA has it for $128 ($155 with a $27 coupon).

What Coupon?

schneiks 06-14-2013 08:55 AM

"I'll have a scotch on the rocks, please. Any scotch will do, as long as it's not a blend, of course. Single malt, Glen Livet, Glen Galley, perhaps, any Glen."

dougpaw57 06-14-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstang1988 (Post 60099536)
What Coupon?

I guess discount woould be a better word. It was marked down on the shelf tag.

codface 06-14-2013 09:50 AM

I like beer. It makes me a jolly good fellow.

mstang1988 06-14-2013 10:33 AM

219.99 at the north Austin, TX Costco. The others were not on sale either like the other scotch thread http://slickdeals.net/f/6081464-Scotch-Deals-Costco-YMMV?page=2.
199.99 at the south Austin, TX Costco.

Deathmunky 06-15-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsy37 (Post 60086382)
Honestly for $100 - you could do so much better. Johnny Walker sucks, doesn't matter what the color. Take your $120 and buy a Macallan 18. You'll be much, much happier.

agreed

x_ge0rge 06-18-2013 02:45 PM

any costco near 626 (pasadena area) ??

thank you, irvine is a bit too far for me. 50 MILE DRIVE

crice 06-25-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i3ighead (Post 60091850)
Is Glenlivet the one with the smoky taste? The one where it taste like you are drinking from a smoking pit?

No, Glenlivet (and Macallan, mentioned earlier) are from Speyside. Scotches from this region are characterized to be sweeter, more fragrant, and fruitier.

crice 06-25-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasak (Post 60097464)
Dimple Pinch - http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/haig-dimple-15-year-old-whisky/
Johnny Walker Swing
Balvenie doublewood -single malt
Costco's speyside 20yr

Costco's 20-year Speyside is pretty good for the price ~$45.

tosaket 06-25-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 60086696)
Any other brand recommendation in the $50 range? I need to send a present to a guy that knows a little bit about whisky, so a good less marketed brand would be a nice surprise for him
TIA

Glenrothes. 40$ well spent. A little more would get you Yamazaki 12yrs

Mummel 06-25-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crice (Post 60322244)
Costco's 20-year Speyside is pretty good for the price ~$45.

This Speyside everyone was raving about was average. It wasnt a steal. Dont get me wrong, it was decent, but probably worth $30-$40 a bottle. Nothing like the original McCallan.

crice 06-25-2013 10:06 AM

FYI one of the BEST single malt deals I've gotten at Costco is the Glenlivet holiday 3-pack. For $100, you get 3 bottles: 12-year, 15-year, and 18-year. Near my house, it shows up at Costco around the Christmas season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummel (Post 60322290)
This Speyside everyone was raving about was average. It wasnt a steal. Dont get me wrong, it was decent, but probably worth $30-$40 a bottle. Nothing like the original McCallan.

Haha I agree. I like the Kirkland-branded Macallan 15 year better for the same price, but it's not always in stock.

ineto 06-26-2013 02:55 AM

yep its $113,went to the store and just had to verify it for myself. bought 2


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 AM.


1999-2014