Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Adorama via eBay: Asus Zenbook Prime 13.3" Ultrabook, Core i5-3317U, 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 8 $699 (eBay Daily Deal) (http://slickdeals.net/e/6153424-adorama-via-ebay-asus-zenbook-prime-13-3-ultrabook-core-i5-3317u-4gb-ram-128gb-ssd-windows-8-699-ebay-daily-deal)

BluGuy 07-15-2013 10:54 AM

Adorama via eBay: Asus Zenbook Prime 13.3" Ultrabook, Core i5-3317U, 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 8 $699 (eBay Daily Deal)

1 Attachment(s)
$100 lower than the previous FP deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Zenb...0609125435

Specs:
  • Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz Processor
  • 13.3" LED Backlit (1920x1080)
  • 4GB DDR3 Memory
  • 128GB SSD
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
  • WiFi N
  • HDMI
  • Bluetooth
  • 4-Cell Battery
  • Windows 8 64-Bit
Review courtesy of Engadget

mitun733 07-15-2013 11:04 AM

its been $700 before here http://slickdeals.net/f/6110254-ASUS-Zenbook-UX31A-Ultrabook-Core-i5-3317U-1-7GHz-4GB-DDR3-128GB-SSD-13-3-IPS-LED-1920x1080-WiFi-N-4-Cell-Win-8-699-Free-Shipping

Nonetheless its a good deal for those who don't care about haswell.

Pzark41 07-15-2013 11:09 AM

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbut Haswel...

oray 07-15-2013 11:21 AM

if it would be HASWELL!

WhiteStallion 07-15-2013 12:04 PM

I want my Haswell fix along with Zenbook...

bht05 07-15-2013 12:07 PM

with the zenbook infinity still a couple months away, this is a great option for those looking for a sleek, 1080p ultrabook that don't mind working with a pre-haswell chip.

z32tt 07-15-2013 12:20 PM

This should be $500...

You know, the whole Haswell thing

thesaint1138 07-15-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z32tt (Post 60700832)
This should be $500...

You know, the whole Haswell thing

I'm starting to think Haswell is the new HDMI :P

CKtalon 07-15-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bht05 (Post 60700378)
with the zenbook infinity still a couple months away, this is a great option for those looking for a sleek, 1080p ultrabook that don't mind working with a pre-haswell chip.

The Infinity will cost like 2.5 times this though :(

Better to look at the UX31LA which is the Haswell refresh.

adamc 07-15-2013 12:53 PM

Not a bad deal, but the touchpad issues will keep me from jumping.

lazman1 07-15-2013 01:02 PM

have this one right now. i highly recommend it. with the driver updates touchpad issues are non existant. the ips is awesome. only down side is its non upgradable ram and only 128gb space

jleonard711 07-15-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamc (Post 60701696)
Not a bad deal, but the touchpad issues will keep me from jumping.

But they won't keep your mouse cursor from jumping. :lol:

aiyaaabatt 07-15-2013 01:18 PM

Install samsung elan touch pad drivers for a perfect touchpad on the zenbook. Easy folks.

yarnim 07-15-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint1138 (Post 60701098)
I'm starting to think Haswell is the new HDMI :P

seriously. unless they are joking and trolling like with those HDMI trolls that emerged after too much HDMI crap, these uneducated peer influenced nonobjective and introspection lacking ignorant and computer illiterate (despite their belief) general SDers ruining each and every laptop thread is quite sickening.

hy0r1 07-15-2013 01:28 PM

Need some advice on if I should jump on this...

I need a laptop by August 12th, one way or another. This type of laptop is what I'm looking for (portable, light, nice screen purely for educational purposes - powerpoint, note taking, streaming video lectures etc). I've been looking at this laptop and the samsung series 9 hoping a refurbished deal pops up again. Also seen dell and lenovo the past few weeks, but I don't want a 768 screen or anything too heavy (>4 lbs).

Since I'm running out of time, is this a good deal to jump on?

yarnim 07-15-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hy0r1 (Post 60702698)
Need some advice on if I should jump on this...

I need a laptop by August 12th, one way or another. This type of laptop is what I'm looking for (portable, light, nice screen purely for educational purposes - powerpoint, note taking, streaming video lectures etc). I've been looking at this laptop and the samsung series 9 hoping a refurbished deal pops up again. Also seen dell and lenovo the past few weeks, but I don't want a 768 screen or anything too heavy (>4 lbs).

Since I'm running out of time, is this a good deal to jump on?

if a similar priced samsung series 9 pops up id definitely recommend that route, just cuz samsung just look so frigging classic and has better build quality with less QC issues.

plus, it may have lower res screen, but until you see that SUPER bright PLS matte, you just won't know what you're missing.

but i think that would be very unlikely. the zenbooks goes on sale from time to time quite often. but the samsung series 9 barely ever goes on sale...that alone pretty much says the quality difference.

but everything aside, if you needed something immediately, the zenbook can't be bad. they are both nearly identical machines, and this price is definitely good for what it is.

hy0r1 07-15-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 60703150)
if a similar priced samsung series 9 pops up id definitely recommend that route, just cuz samsung just look so frigging classic and has better build quality with less QC issues.

plus, it may have lower res screen, but until you see that SUPER bright PLS matte, you just won't know what you're missing.

but i think that would be very unlikely. the zenbooks goes on sale from time to time quite often. but the samsung series 9 barely ever goes on sale...that alone pretty much says the quality difference.

but everything aside, if you needed something immediately, the zenbook can't be bad. they are both nearly identical machines, and this price is definitely good for what it is.

Thanks, repped for help. Maybe I will grab this, leave unopened, and return ship it if something better pops up. Thanks OP, repped. Would you prefer this zenbook over lenovo or dell?

(link to $400 dell @ OD here
(or $855 dell XPS 13 here, but approaching my price range limit

hardrock121 07-15-2013 02:27 PM

I m torn b/w this and the ux31a-ab71 (i7 version) from warehouse deals (very good) for $700ish any advice?

The reviews are a little scary .. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...r=&sr=1-41)

Little research reveals a serious WTF??

i5-3210M
- 2 cores, 4 threads
- 2.5 GHz base clock
- 3.1 GHz turbo
- 3MB cache
- 650 MHz / 1.1 GHz GPU

i7-3517U
- 2 cores, 4 threads ..(2 THREADS.. UNLIKE STANDARD 4 IN DESKTOP CPUS)
- 1.9 GHz base clock
- 3 GHz turbo
- 4MB cache
- 350 MHz / 1.15 GHZ GPU

yarnim 07-15-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardrock121 (Post 60704254)
I m torn b/w this and the ux31a-ab71 (i7 version) from warehouse deals (very good) for $700ish any advice?

The reviews are a little scary .. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...r=&sr=1-41)

those reviews most likely does not pertain specifically to the i7 models, rather to the whole zenbook prime line in general.

asus has a very bad quality control issues. so that probably has a lot to do with the negative reviews, as well as the touchpad issues, which i guess samsung's touchpad driver solves supposedly.

anyhow, I wouldnt bother with an i7-u chip esp used, for more $$.

in these ultralow voltage processors, there is hardly a difference between the i5 and i7. the model you're looking at doenst even have larger ram or SSD. the only difference is the processor, which is hard to call an upgrade.

simply put: dont be torn. that is not worth the additional $50.

yarnim 07-15-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hy0r1 (Post 60704094)
Thanks, repped for help. Maybe I will grab this, leave unopened, and return ship it if something better pops up. Thanks OP, repped. Would you prefer this zenbook over lenovo or dell?

(link to $400 dell @ OD here
(or $855 dell XPS 13 here, but approaching my price range limit

sorry i am not the op, but here i am again (i did own most of these laptops and ultrabooks and still own a few).

now the xps13 is an extremely well built machine as well. i almost liked it as much as my series 9, almost. but the screen used isnt IPS, plus it is extremely glossy. if that is your thing, it would be ok, but it really only looks so good while the screen is turned off.

plus, that thing, while i7 doesnt do much over the i5, has double the size of SSD, and ram.
if those are something thats important to you, you will not regret going with the xps 13.

only thing is that, it is on the expensive side, and a lot of the times, they could be had for much cheaper with the refurbs.
In this price range or with just a little more investment, there might even be some haswell ultrabooks out brand new, though they most likely wont have 256gb with 8gb ram.

the i3 dell is a cheap alternative, but i wouldnt call that anything close to a deal.
only an i3, too bulky and heavy and generic build to be called ultrabook although they want to call it ultrabook.

id much rather get vivobook x202e for cheaper than that dell. which is still on sale at microsoft store i believe at $359 with a valid edu email.

To sum it up, the zenbook has far superior screen. the dell has far superior hardware. build between the two are both top notch, zenbook is probably a litle lighter, a lot more flashy, but i honestly think the xps 13 is better built by a slight margin, not so flashy, keyboard and palmrest area texture is unbeatable on the xps13.

and the dell inspiron, just keep that out of the picture.

or theres the cheap asus vivobook x202e. that one has a smaller foot print, still pretty well built, has touch screen, hardwares aren't comparable to the zenbook or xps13, but still capable, and very cheap, but screen resolution is only 720p and only 11.6 inches.

oh and lastly, try to keep away from the lenovos unless its a thinkpad T W X series laptops. They're simply junk.

hardrock121 07-15-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 60704556)
those reviews most likely does not pertain specifically to the i7 models, rather to the whole zenbook prime line in general.

asus has a very bad quality control issues. so that probably has a lot to do with the negative reviews, as well as the touchpad issues, which i guess samsung's touchpad driver solves supposedly.

anyhow, I wouldnt bother with an i7-u chip esp used, for more $$.

in these ultralow voltage processors, there is hardly a difference between the i5 and i7. the model you're looking for doenst even have larger ram or SSD. Only difference is the processor, which is hard to call an upgrade.

simply put: dont be torn. that is not worth the additional $50.

I have always been wary of Asus quality control given the fiasco I had with transformer prime and its gps/wifi. But unfortunately after apple i think this is the closest it comes to. Dell/Hp/Lenovo all have their own issues and ridiculous customer svc.. after seeing my wife's iphone replaced on the spot without any questions for a faulty speaker.. I was really impressed. These uncertainities are really pissing me off and I hate apple on the other hand.. :mad::mad:

hy0r1 07-15-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 60704898)
To sum it up, the zenbook has far superior screen. the dell has far superior hardware. build between the two are both top notch, zenbook is probably a litle lighter, a lot more flashy, but i honestly think the xps 13 is better built by a slight margin, not so flashy, keyboard and palmrest area texture is unbeatable on the xps13.

and the dell inspiron, just keep that out of the picture.

or theres the cheap asus vivobook x202e. that one has a smaller foot print, still pretty well built, has touch screen, hardwares aren't comparable to the zenbook or xps13, but still capable, and very cheap, but screen resolution is only 720p and only 11.6 inches.

oh and lastly, try to keep away from the lenovos unless its a thinkpad T W X series laptops. They're simply junk.

Thanks for the advice! (Sorry I meant I repped both you and the OP)

hardrock121 07-15-2013 04:15 PM

The return policy is abysmal. No returns of laptops if booted up. "Yes that is correct, unless the laptop is defective we cannot take back a laptop that has been opened and booted. There is a possibility of returning it only if you are willing to accept restocking fees which is at the discretion of our warehouse. "

EdwardP 07-15-2013 05:57 PM

does anyone know if the screen is glossy or matte?

bl4ckduck 07-15-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazman1 (Post 60701946)
have this one right now. i highly recommend it. with the driver updates touchpad issues are non existant. the ips is awesome. only down side is its non upgradable ram and only 128gb space

Regarding the RAM, I chatted up a service rep and got the "well technically you *can* unscrew it and add RAM, but that would void the warranty and I know you wouldn't want to do that..." response. We shall see.

In for one, anyway. Thanks and repped.

hy0r1 07-15-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardP (Post 60708896)
does anyone know if the screen is glossy or matte?

non-touch, matte IPS 1080

cfishy 07-15-2013 10:05 PM

no way to upgrade RAM. :( too bad.

PeterGunz83 07-16-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 60703150)

What about compared to an Acer Aspire S7 13.3 i5 with 128gb SSD for $800?

yarnim 07-16-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterGunz83 (Post 60714738)

aside from poor battery life, that thing is pretty amazing as well.

it seems pretty clear nowadays that acer has set samsung as its benchmark target or something. the Acer S7 is virtually a clone copy of the series 9, designwise.

S7 13 incher is one of the best touchscreen ultrabooks from the last gen. so that really isnt a bad deal at all. a hundred bucks more than this and you get a better or similarly built laptop as the asus zenbook, plus the touchscreen with identical specs.

anish319 07-16-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterGunz83 (Post 60714738)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfishy (Post 60712962)
no way to upgrade RAM. :( too bad.

where did you find it for 800?

PeterGunz83 07-16-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anish319 (Post 60716948)
where did you find it for 800?

Local deal. I am assuming it is to make way for the Haswell versions that just started selling.

So, $800 is a pretty good deal for the 13.3 S7?

I'm not the best at determining good computer deals, so maybe I'll pick it up after work. I know Haswell would solve the S7's biggest flaw, the battery life, but right now that will cost me about $1300 on Amazon for the Haswell version.

KimKardashian 07-16-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardrock121 (Post 60707018)
The return policy is abysmal. No returns of laptops if booted up. "Yes that is correct, unless the laptop is defective we cannot take back a laptop that has been opened and booted. There is a possibility of returning it only if you are willing to accept restocking fees which is at the discretion of our warehouse. "

Amazon.com is probably the only e-tailer that doesn't charge restocking fees on laptops. Other than them, you'll have to settle for the higher prices of B&M stores, but most of them these days also charge restocking fees. The only ones I can think of of the top of my head that don't are Staples and Walmart (lol). Your options are thin sir.