Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   16GB Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III Prepaid Android Smartphone + Case, Earbuds & Car Charger $311 Shipped (http://slickdeals.net/f/6242824-16gb-virgin-mobile-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-prepaid-android-smartphone-case-earbuds-car-charger-311-shipped)

yuugotserved 08-26-2013 09:38 PM

16GB Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III Prepaid Android Smartphone + Case, Earbuds & Car Charger $311 Shipped

2 Attachment(s)
HSN

16GB Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S III Prepaid Android Smartphone + Case, Earbuds & Car Charger [hsn.com]

$299.95 + $10.95 shipping

tonymotion 08-26-2013 10:12 PM

Thanks! I may buy it this time. :)

This comes with "Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system", but the one via the Virgin Mobile site comes with 4.1 (Jelly Bean). How hard would that be to upgrade to 4.1?

faceless128 08-26-2013 10:20 PM

that must be an error, the Virgin Mobile version shipped with Jellybean, it should already be on 4.1.2

Fusiondynamics 08-26-2013 11:20 PM

Anyway to unlock these to use on sprint or other carriers?

anonymousnobody 08-27-2013 12:10 AM

VM is running a promotion, you get $70 (2 months worth of service) if you buy and activate a new device. S3 is 339.99 right now, so 339.99 - 70 = 269.99 + tax (if you buy with credit card).

Fine print:
*$70 account bonus for new Beyond Talk plan activation on virginmobileusa.com.

The account bonus is applied toward any new Beyond Talk account within 30 days of online activation and Top-Up by Sept. 9, 2013. The $70 account bonus is equal to two months free service on a $35/month Beyond Talk plan.
Bonus may not be exchanged/redeemed for cash or merchandise or combined with other offers/promotions.
Limit of one account bonus redemption per new account.
Valid on new Beyond Talk device purchased and activated at virginmobileusa.com.
Existing Virgin Mobile customers or accounts not eligible for promotion.
Virgin Mobile reserves the right to modify, extend or cancel this offer at any time.
Services subject to additional terms, restrictions and other conditions.

Khami 08-27-2013 05:18 AM

Can anyone attest to their quality? How is their "unlimited" data compared to other carriers and signal quality? I've been looking around finally trying to take the plunge and get a smartphone for work, but $90 a month on major carriers is just too much.

pitch4pd 08-27-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khami (Post 61568136)
Can anyone attest to their quality? How is their "unlimited" data compared to other carriers and signal quality? I've been looking around finally trying to take the plunge and get a smartphone for work, but $90 a month on major carriers is just too much.

Ask someone in your area with sprint coverage, it is the same. Personally in my area I have decent coverage for 3g and limited coverage for 4g.

BlitzAction 08-27-2013 05:33 AM

Is there anyway to see what future new phones Virgin Mobile will have? I am curious how long until the S4 comes to them

keypox 08-27-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Take my word for it or google it. Sprint 3g is horrible, less than 1Mbps (mega bit per second), usually less than 0.5Mbps, average speed around 0.1Mbps. Cannot stream music, radio, etc, takes forever to load webpages.

However, if you are in really good coverage area the 4g is acceptable 5Mbps. That is few and far between. But getting better.

Check your area with someones sprint phone have them speedtest and load slickdeals...

Khami 08-27-2013 06:03 AM

Okay thanks for the replies I'll check around today. Still leaning toward republic wireless once they roll new phones out or ting. This does seem to be a good deal for those with good coverage though thanks OP.

Superorb 08-27-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusiondynamics (Post 61566590)

I don't know why people always ask this. GSM phones with a SIM can be unlocked for use on another GSM carrier, and the only two carriers in the US that use this network is AT&T and T-mobile. You'd have to flash this phone with a donor phone's info to get it to work in Sprint/Boost/etc which is a royal PITA to do.

cheapodeal 08-27-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 61568922)
I don't know why people always ask this. GSM phones with a SIM can be unlocked for use on anotheur GSM carrier, and the only two carriers in the US that use this network is AT&T and T-mobile. You'd have to flash this phone with a donor phone's info to get it to work in Sprint/Boost/etc which is a royal PITA to do.

I think The question is for sprint or Verizon or page plus which are cdma .

J.T 08-27-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymousnobody (Post 61566864)
VM is running a promotion, you get $70 (2 months worth of service) if you buy and activate a new device. S3 is 339.99 right now, so 339.99 - 70 = 269.99 + tax (if you buy with credit card).

Fine print:
*$70 account bonus for new Beyond Talk plan activation on virginmobileusa.com.

The account bonus is applied toward any new Beyond Talk account within 30 days of online activation and Top-Up by Sept. 9, 2013. The $70 account bonus is equal to two months free service on a $35/month Beyond Talk plan.
Bonus may not be exchanged/redeemed for cash or merchandise or combined with other offers/promotions.
Limit of one account bonus redemption per new account.
Valid on new Beyond Talk device purchased and activated at virginmobileusa.com.
Existing Virgin Mobile customers or accounts not eligible for promotion.
Virgin Mobile reserves the right to modify, extend or cancel this offer at any time.
Services subject to additional terms, restrictions and other conditions.

Hi, I'm currently on vm old $25 plan. If I decided to go to this new plan will I get the additional $70 off? I thought in order to received this $credit you had to transfer your number from another carrier - tmobile, uscellular exc

vanbach0 08-27-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

It's lousy, but I stick with them because of the price. Their 3G is enough to stream Google Play Music, check email, get maps. But don't plan on watching YouTube unless you're on Wifi.

Their coverage is the main issue for me. The voice coverage is bad enough at my house in the summer due to the foliage that I actually have a separate phone on PagePlus for making calls from home. If you live closer to civilization than I do, you'll probably be okay. Unfortunately Verizon and AT&T blow them out of the water, but to my knowledge there aren't other VM-like carriers using VZW or ATT's network that offer phones as good as what the Sprint-based carriers offer. I'm guessing this is how Sprint makes up for their suck.

spongebobfl 08-27-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.T (Post 61569414)
Hi, I'm currently on vm old $25 plan. If I decided to go to this new plan will I get the additional $70 off? I thought in order to received this $credit you had to transfer your number from another carrier - tmobile, uscellular exc

No, I bought myself the G S III a few weeks ago and received the credit. I currently have one VM phone that my wife uses. I bought the phone and used the same name and mailing address as I did on the other phone. The only thing different is that I used a different charge card. I received the credit -via text- on the new phone about two weeks after activation. I did not transfer the other number - I have two active accounts now.

pan0k 08-27-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusiondynamics (Post 61566590)

Short answer - NO!!! Long answer - there is always a way to do it. Chances are it is illegal and also it is not worth to do it because the carrier can black list your unlock phone.

ogp 08-27-2013 06:51 AM

I had Sprint for a while a year or two ago and when they first launched 4G (Clear) and it was pretty fast. But that didn't seem to last very long. And then the speeds seemed to get dog slow. I finally dumped them for T-Mobile and my data speeds are WAY faster. I don't have as great coverage, I've been places where I get no signal but my wife (still on Sprint) does. But I'm paying way less per month (prepaid) and get faster data speeds. Since I don't travel too much, that's a trade off I'm willing to accept.

SweetHeer 08-27-2013 06:51 AM

Does this phone use simcards?

shj123 08-27-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetHeer (Post 61569856)
Does this phone use simcards?

No, It's a CDMA phone. There is no sim card slot on it.

pan0k 08-27-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

As always, the signal quality depends where you are located. I would check the coverage map. When I am in the service area, I never had any drop calls.

Data speed is IMO good for 3G at $25 a month. I got average 800kbps/256kbps. At $35, I don't think so.

"Unlimited" data - you can download at full speed until you reach 2.5GB. Then the speed is toggle down to 256kbps.

An advice about 4G LTE - check the coverage map!!! LTE is available in limited location. For example, as of August 27th, if you live in DC area, you will not get LTE!!! But if you live in Baltimore, MD area, you will get LTE.

HeroTakesAFall 08-27-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

You'll lose the $25 plan if you upgrade to this phone, FYI.

I'm glad to see it's not just me that has horrendous 3G speeds with VM/Sprint. My sister pays $85/month to Sprint for her plan and her 3G is just as bad. (I know people like to say you get "better towers" with the name-brand carrier, but it's just not true, at least not in the Chicago area.) I'm going to that 100 minute T-Mobile plan when I finally get fed up. I am sick of only being able to watch youtube videos 30% of the time. I mean, come on.

bigbearballs 08-27-2013 07:27 AM

I will get this at 199, still too much.

kwik 08-27-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 61568922)
I don't know why people always ask this. GSM phones with a SIM can be unlocked for use on another GSM carrier, and the only two carriers in the US that use this network is AT&T and T-mobile. You'd have to flash this phone with a donor phone's info to get it to work in Sprint/Boost/etc which is a royal PITA to do.

Which is a felony. So I don't recommend it.

chejrw 08-27-2013 07:38 AM

I've been on VM for 3 years now, Coverage is pretty good in the DC/Baltimore area, pretty poor in Boston/Providence area, excellent in the more populated parts of Michigan, and good enough in most other major cities I've been to lately (Houston, LA, Salt Lake, Vegas, Honolulu, Miami). Speeds are good enough to stream audio - I listen to baseball games via the At Bat app and SiriusXM radio streaming all the time, but not enough to stream video (takes upwards of 5 minutes to load a 30 second youtube video).

The reason I wanted a smart phone was to get my email on the go, and to be able to do basic web searches and do things like load maps with traffic overlays, etc, and it's good enough for that. At $35 a month I can't complain. I used to be on the $25 plan with the LG Optimus V, but when I switched to the HTC One V I had to go up to the $35 plan. I'm not very happy with the HTC One V, so I'm thinking about picking up the S3.

ogp 08-27-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pan0k (Post 61570138)
Data speed is IMO good for 3G at $25 a month. I got average 800kbps/256kbps. At $35, I don't think so.

"Unlimited" data - you can download at full speed until you reach 2.5GB. Then the speed is toggle down to 256kbps.

I'm with T-Mobile on Monthly 4G and get unlimited data (5 GB at 4G, after that throttled to 2G), unlimited txt and 100 minutes talk time for $30/month. So pretty close to the Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk plan for $35/month but I get much faster data speeds, a larger data cap and less talk time for $5/month. I can add minutes to my plan at $0.10/minute. I don't talk much and use VOIP apps to supplement my talk time so I"m pretty happy with the plan.

rickyd5000 08-27-2013 08:03 AM

As a longtime Virgin Mobile user, I have to chime in.

Virgin Mobile is horrendous. I work in Manhattan around WTC, and live just outside. You would think they would have these highly populated areas covered. But they don't - and we are talking open areas above ground. I frequently get 0 service or 1 bar for call connectivity, along with many choppy and dropped calls. 3G service is also terrible. I typically get 100K. The best I've gotten is 700K, but it is rare. The only thing I'm clinging to is a $25 grandfather plan, and the hope VM will pick up its game.

My wife has the TMobile $30 plan - 100 minutes / unlimited text/ 5 GB data then throttled. It kicks VM's butt. Call coverage is everywhere and strong. 3G speed is typically 3 MB. And even upstate (Dutchess County), we seem to get more coverage with Tmobile. If you need more minutes, look at the Walmart plan for $40 per month (unlimited talk/text, 2.5 GB data then throttled - note only 3G data, no 4G).

One strange thing happened though in defense of Sprint. In Dutchess County, I got no coverage (data or phone) on my Virgin Mobile phone, but my old 2nd gen Kindle which I believe uses Sprint was able to download a book in the same location. That leads me to believe Sprint gives Virgin Mobile and Boost customers a lower tier of service - e.g. less towers. They always say this, but I'm not sure exactly what it means concretely.

Anyway, life is short, this grandfather is moving to Tmobile... Btw, the tmobile Samsung s2 phone is decent phone and $250 at walmart (have one deal a few months ago for $200 at hsn).

Superorb 08-27-2013 08:56 AM

I tried Tmo's $30/month plan to test it out since I needed a work phone with fast data. And when it worked it was great, but most of the places I needed data there was no data at all. I used it in the Denver Metro area and most of the time data didn't work at all. So while Virgin Mobile is very slow, it works nearly everywhere in the city I use it in. Oh, Tmo didn't work for data or voice at my house and since we don't have a landline it wasn't an option.

anonymousnobody 08-27-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Yea, the fine print says that you also have to be a new customer.

J.T 08-27-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymousnobody (Post 61580326)
Yea, the fine print says that you also have to be a new customer.

Thanks for the additional information.

Onimu 08-27-2013 02:44 PM

How can i get this phone work with the $25 plan?

J.T 08-27-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeroTakesAFall (Post 61570364)
You'll lose the $25 plan if you upgrade to this phone, FYI.

I'm glad to see it's not just me that has horrendous 3G speeds with VM/Sprint. My sister pays $85/month to Sprint for her plan and her 3G is just as bad. (I know people like to say you get "better towers" with the name-brand carrier, but it's just not true, at least not in the Chicago area.) I'm going to that 100 minute T-Mobile plan when I finally get fed up. I am sick of only being able to watch youtube videos 30% of the time. I mean, come on.

Hi, I thought Schaumburg Illinois have very good coverage?

chejrw 08-27-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyd5000 (Post 61571374)
One strange thing happened though in defense of Sprint. In Dutchess County, I got no coverage (data or phone) on my Virgin Mobile phone, but my old 2nd gen Kindle which I believe uses Sprint was able to download a book in the same location. That leads me to believe Sprint gives Virgin Mobile and Boost customers a lower tier of service - e.g. less towers. They always say this, but I'm not sure exactly what it means concretely.

FWIW the Kindle 3G uses the AT&T network.

camplejo 08-27-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onimu (Post 61581384)
How can i get this phone work with the $25 plan?

You can't. Read the VM page. Any phone upgrade will bump you out of the grandfathered plan.

tonymotion 08-27-2013 09:18 PM

I've been waiting for a discount on these! I just bought one. The case & car-charger are fringe benefits. :)
Thanks!

FYI, I've been on Virgin Mobile for 2.5 years, and I've had very little trouble from the phone or data network, except when I'm getting far into the country side.

Onimu 08-27-2013 11:17 PM

saw some do.. they flashed the sprint s3 phone to use with $25 plan. don;t how

Stratuscaster 08-28-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camplejo (Post 61586484)
You can't. Read the VM page. Any phone upgrade will bump you out of the grandfathered plan.

More clearly, an upgrade to a phone released after May 27, 2012 will push you out of your $25 plan.

At some point, you have to let go. $25 is a fantastic price, but if it keeps you from ever upgrading your phone to one with newer/better features, is it still worth clinging to it?

For my 13-year-old who doesn't need the latest/greatest? Sure. That's why he has my old Intercept. For me, I'll free myself from the clutches of the $25 plan and move on.

mcwhitman 08-28-2013 09:41 AM

I plan on using the T-mobile $30 a month 1500 minutes/txt plan. It only has 30mb data. I figure I am around wifi all over the place. Has anyone else been doing this and is it practical?

thanks

chejrw 08-28-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcwhitman (Post 61597804)
I plan on using the T-mobile $30 a month 1500 minutes/txt plan. It only has 30mb data. I figure I am around wifi all over the place. Has anyone else been doing this and is it practical?

thanks

Depends completely on your usage. A plan with 1500MB of data and 30 minutes/texts would be perfect for me. That T-mobile plan would be terrible for my usage.

snooty2toes 08-28-2013 07:34 PM

Thanks OP! I missed out when it was 20% off on VM's site. I bought this time, even w/ tax and shipping it still comes out equal to VM's current sale price. I would have never thought to check here!!! I wasn't able to use any additional promo codes but I'm just happy with the lowest price I've seen in a month! Tried to rep but it said I had to spread around. TY!!!!

snooty2toes 08-28-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonymotion (Post 61566016)
Thanks! I may buy it this time. :)

This comes with "Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system", but the one via the Virgin Mobile site comes with 4.1 (Jelly Bean). How hard would that be to upgrade to 4.1?

Usually it's easy to upgrade op. system you can just go within settings on the phone and go to "about phone" or similar and "check for upgrade" or it may auto upgrade.

But the poster above who said it should have 4.1.2 I think may be correct.

tonymotion 08-30-2013 03:28 PM

My new Samsung Galaxy S III arrived today!! It only took 2.5 days! :)

It seems to have everything that was advertised. It's pretty much:
- the white VM box (handset, battery, usb-usb cable, charger head, headset (ear-buds + microphone))
- a separate car charger & case

It seems very charged already (60%?), but I'm charging it all the way up before I dig into it.

Yay!

pgrunner 09-01-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spongebobfl (Post 61569698)
No, I bought myself the G S III a few weeks ago and received the credit. I currently have one VM phone that my wife uses. I bought the phone and used the same name and mailing address as I did on the other phone. The only thing different is that I used a different charge card. I received the credit -via text- on the new phone about two weeks after activation. I did not transfer the other number - I have two active accounts now.

I don't see the $70 promo on the VM site. Is it still going on?

Stratuscaster 09-06-2013 10:54 AM

Received my S3 on Tuesday, swapped online from my Kyocera Rise, and so far I'm not disappointed.

Much lighter than I'm used to, and the free case was pretty cheap - I'll likely get a different one.

The 13-year-old is happy with his "new" Kyocera Rise. ;)