Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection (PC Digital Download) $6 (http://slickdeals.net/e/6242970-dungeons-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection-pc-digital-download-6)

DJ3xclusive 08-27-2013 12:52 AM

Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection (PC Digital Download) $6

1 Attachment(s)
Includes:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
  • Icewind Dale
  • Icewind Dale 2
  • Planescape Torment
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil
Linky [gamersgate.com]

Discombobulated 08-27-2013 12:52 AM

Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection (PC Digital Download) $6

1 Attachment(s)
GamersGate.com has Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection (PC Digital Download) on sale for $5.99. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Includes:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Icewind Dale
  • Icewind Dale 2
  • Planescape Torment

suzy143 08-27-2013 01:19 AM

Wow at last, the complete collection of Baldur's Gate, Nice deal also. :)

lastemp3ror 08-27-2013 06:18 AM

Great Deal! I am assuming this doesn't download to Steam?

Zalfrin 08-27-2013 06:19 AM

This deal came up once before, too bad it's not the enhanced edition of BG. Still, good deal if you never played these or if you want to relive them.

petrieslastword 08-27-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalfrin (Post 61569142)
This deal came up once before, too bad it's not the enhanced edition of BG. Still, good deal if you never played these or if you want to relive them.

Aren't the regular games with mods considered superior to the "enhanced"?

Backlogger 08-27-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastemp3ror (Post 61569128)
Great Deal! I am assuming this doesn't download to Steam?

Description says that it is DRM free

lastemp3ror 08-27-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backlogger (Post 61569290)
Description says that it is DRM free

I bought it regardless but still a little confused. It being DRM, does that mean that it will pull up on my Steam Library? Steam doesn't sell all/most of these games so not sure how that works.

SpaceWizard 08-27-2013 06:41 AM

Awesome, thanks!

Frankentots 08-27-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastemp3ror (Post 61569524)
I bought it regardless but still a little confused. It being DRM, does that mean that it will pull up on my Steam Library? Steam doesn't sell all/most of these games so not sure how that works.

DRM free means that you get the executable files directly from Gamer's Gate and install them freely on any computer without needing a key. They will not activate on Steam (Steam is a form of DRM), but once you have installed the games you can add them as a non-Steam game if you wish to launch them through Steam. However, they will not travel with your Steam account. You will need to either keep a copy of the installation executable or download it directly from Gamer's Gate at a later date if you get a new computer.

KungFooMF 08-27-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

These games are not Steam games, which means you can't enter a product key and have them appear with all of the steam overlay and all that. However, like ANY game, you can add a shortcut so they are listed in your Steam library.

lilwiggum 08-27-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

You can manually add the games to your Steam list. After installing, just select the search for game option and select the games you want to add to the game list.

These games have no DRM so they are actually better than buying from Steam (imo).

lastemp3ror 08-27-2013 07:03 AM

Thank you all for the responses. I get it now.

I have always looked for good turn based RPG's and didn't know these were turn based games until now. I am really looking forward to these games.

jedispork 08-27-2013 07:20 AM

Make way evil! I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

Yukichu 08-27-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastemp3ror (Post 61570036)
Thank you all for the responses. I get it now.

I have always looked for good turn based RPG's and didn't know these were turn based games until now. I am really looking forward to these games.

They are turned-based in the loosest sense of the word(s). If you want to experience it as a turn-based RPG, you have to pause a lot. A whole lot. I loved the first BG as I rarely had to pause much and it made the game flow very smoothly. While everyone says BG2 is vastly superior, the fact that I spent more time paused than playing the game has made me barely play it and I bought it the day it was released way back when.

Just letting you know. The rest of the games play much the same, though if I recall Planescape: Torment needed less 'pause time' and flowed more smoothly as well.

lastemp3ror 08-27-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukichu (Post 61570830)
They are turned-based in the loosest sense of the word(s). If you want to experience it as a turn-based RPG, you have to pause a lot. A whole lot. I loved the first BG as I rarely had to pause much and it made the game flow very smoothly. While everyone says BG2 is vastly superior, the fact that I spent more time paused than playing the game has made me barely play it and I bought it the day it was released way back when.

Just letting you know. The rest of the games play much the same, though if I recall Planescape: Torment needed less 'pause time' and flowed more smoothly as well.

I hope it isn't like Dragon Age in gameplay, as I didn't like it that much. If my party is bigger than one, I like my RPG's to be turn based. Regardless I won't regret the purchase at $6. :)

ren1310 08-27-2013 07:53 AM

great games awsome deal thanks brings back some memories

ConsoleChairman 08-27-2013 07:54 AM

I think Temple of Elemental Evil was full turn-based and there's also a pretty decently sized modding community for it (or was, it's been awhile) called the Circle of Eight. Also, ToEE is easily my favorite D&D game ever, for whatever that's worth.

illh8 08-27-2013 08:13 AM

So being that this is digital is it supposed to be similar to the book/board based originals??

Kelter 08-27-2013 08:22 AM

Get this

amazing deal

EricL30 08-27-2013 08:24 AM

I have played, and replayed the original BG so many times. Every few years I'll play through it again, and it really never gets old to me. That being said, all of these games are great, definitely worth the money

LadoBlanco 08-27-2013 08:32 AM

planescape torment and icewind dale are pretty amazing rpgs. they are dated, but if you dont mind the graphics, they are great games.

danaconda 08-27-2013 08:48 AM

Here's a guide to "enhance" this version of BG.

http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_t...rom_gogcom

Wicasawakan 08-27-2013 08:59 AM

I used to be a purist and loved the old school BG games but 4 yrs ago I tried to play them again and I've moved on. They're just too old. Playing old games was cool for like 2 months.
Neverwinter F2P is fun and they're always improving it. They even just added a Drow class. Just FYI.

Wicasawakan 08-27-2013 09:05 AM

Umm no

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastemp3ror (Post 61571030)
I hope it isn't like Dragon Age in gameplay, as I didn't like it that much. If my party is bigger than one, I like my RPG's to be turn based. Regardless I won't regret the purchase at $6. :)

Mentioning Dragon Age (2009) and these D&D games (starting in 98) in the same sentence can get you gutted. It's apples and oranges. You might want to youtube the gameplay if you are comparing the two. haha

alanbrenton 08-27-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicasawakan (Post 61572672)
I used to be a purist and loved the old school BG games but 4 yrs ago I tried to play them again and I've moved on. They're just too old. Playing old games was cool for like 2 months.
Neverwinter F2P is fun and they're always improving it. They even just added a Drow class. Just FYI.

What is the catch for these F2P games?

Wicasawakan 08-27-2013 09:21 AM

Not much in Neverwinter

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbrenton (Post 61572896)

The only real catch is if you want to level up faster and gain strength faster, you can spend real $ or if you want the coolest mount it costs $ but they have plenty of mounts, companions to assist you, loot etc under F2P.
I have 2 characters. One is level 29 and one is 48. My level 29 Teifling trickster rogue is unenhanced by $. She was made totally F2P. I paid some $ to build up my level 48 halfling heavy weapons master (I did that on purpose cuz a little guy with a monster sword looks funny). If you want to see D&D successfully brought to the online gaming world, Pefectworld.com did it. If you still enjoy the old school D&D, you should be playing on paper and not on the computer. haha
I have respect for the riginal computer D&D but I was a DM when it was the real D&D. :)

alanbrenton 08-27-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicasawakan (Post 61573234)
The only real catch is if you want to level up faster and gain strength faster, you can spend real $ or if you want the coolest mount it costs $ but they have plenty of mounts, companions to assist you, loot etc under F2P.
I have 2 characters. One is level 29 and one is 48. My level 29 Teifling trickster rogue is unenhanced by $. She was made totally F2P. I paid some $ to build up my level 48 halfling heavy weapons master (I did that on purpose cuz a little guy with a monster sword looks funny). If you want to see D&D successfully brought to the online gaming world, Pefectworld.com did it. If you still enjoy the old school D&D, you should be playing on paper and not on the computer. haha
I have respect for the riginal computer D&D but I was a DM when it was the real D&D. :)

I did play a few games back in the old days but my friend, who was the DM, was not treating us fair and was power tripping the group during the game. So I quit, LOL.

xveganrox 08-27-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbrenton (Post 61572896)

The catch is a "cash shop" which depending on the game can be very important to progress. Luckily Neverwinter avoids that for the most part - you can spend money to get ahead, but you can play fine without spending money.

On the other hand Neverwinter has almost nothing to do with D&D except its name. It uses a streamlined WoW-inspired system completely devoid of 3.5/4.0 elements and plays like most other MMORPGs you may have played. If you want a real F2P D&D game, Dungeons and Dragons Online offers it, but unfortunately that game has a lot of issues and a steep learning curve, as well as a virtually requiring you to make a few one-time purchases in order to play the full (or near-full) game, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a diehard d20 fan.

GTFan 08-27-2013 10:13 AM

Agreed - Neverwinter F2P has absolutely nothing to do with these classic D&D games except the use of the name. They are completely different games with different mechanics.

TheLastBrunnenG 08-27-2013 10:14 AM

What, no AD&D 2nd Edition-era SSI Gold Box games?

Darkwind 08-27-2013 10:24 AM

I picked this up last time it was on special a few months back and these games are worth every penny (well I haven't actually played planescape or temple of evil yet but the others are great).

Prof.Moriarty 08-27-2013 11:38 AM

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrieslastword (Post 61569278)
Aren't the regular games with mods considered superior to the "enhanced"?

Not sure how to compare modded vs. enhanced, but it seems that a great deal of effort has gone into Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition [baldursgate.com]. Apparently, it's "good enough" that there were contractual issues [wikipedia.org] and its sale was temporarily stopped.

BG:EE is NOT included in this deal, but is currently selling for $20, is available on Windows, Mac OSX, iOS and Android (coming soon) and through Steam [steampowered.com]. Check it out!

rracing 08-27-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 61567092)
Includes:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Icewind Dale
  • Icewind Dale 2
  • Planescape Torment
Linky ["http]

sweet deal getting it after work

syke1981 08-27-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalfrin (Post 61569142)

never played a single one, but I've always heard of these games since I was younger, I assume for $6 it's worth a try? What are these similar to? Also, what's the BG Enhanced vs this one?

Yablargo 08-27-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof.Moriarty (Post 61576766)
Not sure how to compare modded vs. enhanced, but it seems that a great deal of effort has gone into Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition [baldursgate.com]. Apparently, it's "good enough" that there were contractual issues [wikipedia.org] and its sale was temporarily stopped.

BG:EE is NOT included in this deal, but is currently selling for $20, is available on Windows, Mac OSX, iOS and Android (coming soon) and through Steam [steampowered.com]. Check it out!

Having played both ways, i was extremely disappointed with "Enhanced Edition" -- You'd think for the results the developers would have just sought the licenses to distribute/sell all the mods with the original title.

You really get nothing (except ease of setup) out of the EE version. BG2 EE May be a long way off, so running TuTu or etc has obvious advantages as your character will import into BG2. BG2 was incredible.

Extragooey 08-27-2013 02:11 PM

I have played pretty much all of them and loved them so long ago. The question is if I buy them, will I ever install them and play again... decisions... decisions...

TrentSteel 08-27-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yablargo (Post 61579610)
Having played both ways, i was extremely disappointed with "Enhanced Edition" -- You'd think for the results the developers would have just sought the licenses to distribute/sell all the mods with the original title.

You really get nothing (except ease of setup) out of the EE version. BG2 EE May be a long way off, so running TuTu or etc has obvious advantages as your character will import into BG2. BG2 was incredible.

BG:EE is disappointing and definitely not worth $20. I only paid $6 or $7 for it, which still felt like too much. It is not significantly different from the original.

Replaying these does take away some of the magic of memories you may have of them. As far as story and writing are concerned, however, they are significantly better than most CRPG's released today.

It's funny, but I still haven't played TOEE because of all the bad press it got at release due to game-killing bugs. It might finally be time to pick it up.

OctoberFox 08-27-2013 08:08 PM

Holy Smokes! Not all gems, but as a collection at this price this is a steal!

chuckuykendall 08-27-2013 08:12 PM

Thanks OP! CRAP, I'm still level 2...:(

AmericanCarioca 08-27-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrentSteel (Post 61581482)
As far as story and writing are concerned, however, they are significantly better than most CRPG's released today.

It's true, but there are still some superb CRPGs that have come out in the last years that raise the bar. The Witcher 1 and 2 come to mind, as well as Deus Ex: HR (albeit Sci-fi), the amazing Mass Effect trilogy (no.2 being the best), and Fallout 3. Even Dragon Age: Origins, its spiritual successor, enjoyed excellent storytelling.

Zalfrin 08-28-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syke1981 (Post 61579142)
never played a single one, but I've always heard of these games since I was younger, I assume for $6 it's worth a try? What are these similar to? Also, what's the BG Enhanced vs this one?

Definitely worth trying for $6. I never tried ToEE but the rest are all gems IMO. There are fixed storyline quests, but also tons of side quests, some of which are only accessible with certain classes. Made the replayability pretty high.

jms493 08-28-2013 08:23 AM

Says 19.95 for me...