Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors (Pair) $49 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/6250242-alesis-elevate-3-studio-monitors-pair-49-free-shipping)

lacosa2006 08-30-2013 10:43 AM

Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors (Pair) $49 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
I found this at Musician's Friend [musiciansfriend.com] and is definitely at a great price!

Remember there are also cashback for Musician's friend or Guitar Center, which ever you choose! Just Google it!

I checked on Amazon and they are selling for $171.64 + shipping and eBay found it for $79 + shipping. I read a lot of reviews about this item and they are a pretty good piece to own for a small studio. Thumbs up if you like it!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pr...ID=4485850

Free Shipping on Orders Over $25!

Update: Changed to Musician's Friend instead of Guitar Center. Less hassle since their free shipping policy is orders over $25. Thanks Fiire and Shnitz for your comments!

iconian 08-30-2013 10:43 AM

Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors (Pair) $49 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Musicians Friend has Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors (Pair) for $49 + free shipping. Thanks lacosa2006

fiire 08-30-2013 10:53 AM

um, same price at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-elevate-3-studio-monitors without the hassle of going thru cust service for free shipping. surprised this isnt getting a td for setting off price mistake alerts though

shnitz 08-30-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiire (Post 61643394)
um, same price at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alesis-elevate-3-studio-monitors without the hassle of going thru cust service for free shipping. surprised this isnt getting a td for setting off price mistake alerts though

Musiciansfriend and GuitarCenter are the same company, but thanks for the heads up. And as to the price mistake police, it's probably because he correctly used both "price" and "mistake" in the ad, as opposed to those morons that try to self-promote their OP by saying something stupid like, "Maybe it's some kind of price mistake?" when it clearly is not.

However, as a more realistic price comparison, B&H has these as not available yet, but for $99. So, this really is a very respectable price.

fiire 08-30-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnitz (Post 61643650)
Musiciansfriend and GuitarCenter are the same company, but thanks for the heads up. And as to the price mistake police, it's probably because he correctly used both "price" and "mistake" in the ad, as opposed to those morons that try to self-promote their OP by saying something stupid like, "Maybe it's some kind of price mistake?" when it clearly is not.

However, as a more realistic price comparison, B&H has these as not available yet, but for $99. So, this really is a very respectable price.

yeah i know they're the same company (ala systemax = tigerdirect/compusa/circuitcity), just wanted to point out that people don't have to jump through hoops to get free shipping. I found it odd because anytime PM alerts are set off, irrespective of wording, there's always a flood of irrational TD's

big mike 08-30-2013 11:34 AM

hmm...

darkslide29 08-30-2013 01:05 PM

It set off my price mistake alert, but it did not get a TD from me because it looks like a possibly good deal for those looking for studio monitors. I wouldn't want them to miss out just because of some silly alert.

Good on everyone else probably thinking the same thing. :nod:

purpstheillest 08-30-2013 03:08 PM

this is not the first time gc/mf has listed these monitors for this price, just saying. great deal regardless for someone trying to set up a small home recording studio.

gsutoph 08-30-2013 04:14 PM

Just got home from GC with a set for my desktop in my home office. Just to save some folks a bit of experimenting, there are a few things to help them sound much better:

- Keep your system volume around 40% as it will subtly start to distort above that. I thought the amp was clipping, but it turned out to be my system volume overloading it. Once you get that right, they will go extremely loud without distortion (at least at volumes my ears can stand).

- Stuff a sock in the each of the back ports and turn on the bass boost. The bottom end is lacking as-is and the bass boost muddies the sound big time. The sock/bass boost combo seems to find a good medium.

Overall these are great for the price. I have a set of Audioengine 2s at my work office and to compare, the Alesis speakers sound thinner, brighter and have less bottom end. However, they're a 1/3 to 1/4 the price (depending on where you buy the Audioengines). I've heard after break in they sound a lot better, so I will update the thread if I notice anything tomorrow.

NoBantheSnowman 08-30-2013 04:25 PM

thanks i ordered these earlier

kbreese 08-30-2013 04:44 PM

Can these be used as computer speakers like M-Audio's?

Dreamliner330 08-30-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbreese (Post 61652188)
Can these be used as computer speakers like M-Audio's?

Yes, you just need a Stereo Male 3.5mm to Stereo Male RCA cable, like this [amazon.com]. :wave:

jojokage 08-30-2013 05:11 PM

thanks for 3

kyriostrife 08-30-2013 05:48 PM

These are great small speakers. Wish the Elevate 5 were on sale. That's what I'm looking for.

But these are definitely good just to hook up to your computer for decent sound.

gsutoph 08-30-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 (Post 61652232)
Yes, you just need a Stereo Male 3.5mm to Stereo Male RCA cable, like this [amazon.com]. :wave:

It comes with one

codefreak13 08-30-2013 06:03 PM

Been looking for monitors to replace a pair I had sold, just something to improve laptop speaker sound and burn some GC gift cards. These will fit the bill nicely. Thanks!

lightsout565 08-30-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsutoph (Post 61651798)
Just got home from GC with a set for my desktop in my home office. Just to save some folks a bit of experimenting, there are a few things to help them sound much better:

- Keep your system volume around 40% as it will subtly start to distort above that. I thought the amp was clipping, but it turned out to be my system volume overloading it. Once you get that right, they will go extremely loud without distortion (at least at volumes my ears can stand).

- Stuff a sock in the each of the back ports and turn on the bass boost. The bottom end is lacking as-is and the bass boost muddies the sound big time. The sock/bass boost combo seems to find a good medium.

Overall these are great for the price. I have a set of Audioengine 2s at my work office and to compare, the Alesis speakers sound thinner, brighter and have less bottom end. However, they're a 1/3 to 1/4 the price (depending on where you buy the Audioengines). I've heard after break in they sound a lot better, so I will update the thread if I notice anything tomorrow.

Thanks for the Tip. Here's another interesting post [gearslutz.com] on the bass port modification

vanish 08-30-2013 06:39 PM

Agh if I hadn't just picked up the Monoprice monitors I'd be all over these things. Oh well! Seems like a pretty great deal for entry-level near-fields.

dealpickul 08-30-2013 06:54 PM

Was about to shell out 200+ on the BX5 D2's to edit dialog. Will give these a go first. Thanks!

quitosky 08-30-2013 07:02 PM

Ok there are two reviews i see on youtube

Perhaps this guy needed to break in the speakers because it does sound distorted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFBsJKbAizQ

Better review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht4zJ1XNlA

FatSmurf 08-30-2013 07:22 PM

Just my opinion but I think the whole "break-in" thing is BS for modern speakers. There's no evidence that soundchanges after a certain period of use. I don't know why otherwise rational-minded people insist on a "break-in" period when we have devices that actually measure frequency response and don't show any difference.

Honestly, if the speakers have distortion out of the box, and you think that distortion gets better after 2 hours or 48 hours or whatever, it's not the speakers. It's you're ears. The simplest explanation is that your ears have adjusted to the sound-characteristics of your new speakers and they don't sound "different" anymore. Occam's Razor. Kind of like when you eat too many salt & vinegar chips and they don't taste so sharp after awhile. It's simply perception, not anything to do with the potato chips or speakers themselves.

Since so many people report distortion out of the box on these, I'd be pretty worried. Don't think it would get better after "break-in" except for the fact that you get used to it and whatever distortion there may be and it's not quite as noticeable.

APhamX 08-30-2013 07:23 PM

Lol.. I'm using a pair of 4 bookshelf speakers from frys @ 139 a pair iirc... They aren't true studio monitors, but what would the real world difference be in sound? (ie. which one would you choose over?) I have an old harmon kardon receiver paired with it, only 85 watts per channel though.

t_j 08-30-2013 07:26 PM

Are these good for general purpose use, just listening to music?

Bseasly 08-30-2013 07:29 PM

I'm guessing these would be better than Bose companion 2 speakers? And what about comparing them to audioengine a2s? I know they both are msrp at $200 but the A2s almost never go on sale. would these be comparable at all?

thealmightygrog 08-30-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj11189 (Post 61654674)
Are these good for general purpose use, just listening to music?

I am kind of wondering the same thing. These seem like they would be a good upgrade for my computer speakers without shelling out a bunch of $$

djgcue 08-30-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quitosky (Post 61654322)
Ok there are two reviews i see on youtube

Better review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht4zJ1XNlA

Is this guy a vampire, it looks like he has fangs? :eek:

namx 08-30-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djgcue (Post 61655038)

was that really necessary? at least he didn't fumble around on finding a music to play through the speakers unlike the first review.

albisylk 08-30-2013 08:03 PM

If I hadn't just picked up some Audyssey LES speakers for $70 I would be on these.

djgcue 08-30-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namx (Post 61655174)
was that really necessary? at least he didn't fumble around on finding a music to play through the speakers unlike the first review.

He must've sucked your blood :wave:

Montesinnos 08-30-2013 08:07 PM

I understand these are two different classes of speakers, and some may some I'm comparing apples to oranges. But how what are the differences of these speakers to those Logitech 2.1 or 5.1 sets (Especially the G51)?
What are the real life gains?

LonelyHiker 08-30-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatSmurf (Post 61654618)
Just my opinion but I think the whole "break-in" thing is BS for modern speakers.

Ya the talk of breaking in speakers for hours or days is way off base. However some speakers need a few minutes of break-in just due to manufacturing considerations. Play them at about 80% of their max volume for 5 minutes and they're as broken in as they will ever be.

internetsupport 08-30-2013 08:27 PM

My last experience with them was little more than bait and switch and a waste of my time.

dingiswayo 08-30-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montesinnos (Post 61655338)
I understand these are two different classes of speakers, and some may some I'm comparing apples to oranges. But how what are the differences of these speakers to those Logitech 2.1 or 5.1 sets (Especially the G51)?
What are the real life gains?

You're not comparing apples to oranges, you're comparing apples to small pebbles. I have the Logitech speakers you're talking about and many other better-quality speakers as well. The difference is clarity. Monitors are meant to play music exactly as it was mastered. This often means revealing flaws in the recording. But it also means your music should sound crisp, clear, and punchy. I'm sure their soundstage blows the logitech speakers away as well. They won't be the same as quality house speakers through good electronics but that would also cost you $800+. I jumped on these.

Edit: Their bass might not go as low as the logitech because the latter comes with a small sub. But that bass is really muddy anyway since it's clearly a super-cheap sub with a 3" driver.

easymonies 08-30-2013 09:35 PM

I understand that these speakers have a LFE out for sub. Does anyone know what the cross over for the LFE is? (Or is it adjustable ? -- may be I'm asking too much)

acidnynex 08-30-2013 10:06 PM

Would these be safe to put on a desk near external drives?

Montesinnos 08-30-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingiswayo (Post 61655800)
You're not comparing apples to oranges, you're comparing apples to small pebbles. I have the Logitech speakers you're talking about and many other better-quality speakers as well. The difference is clarity. Monitors are meant to play music exactly as it was mastered. This often means revealing flaws in the recording. But it also means your music should sound crisp, clear, and punchy. I'm sure their soundstage blows the logitech speakers away as well. They won't be the same as quality house speakers through good electronics but that would also cost you $800+. I jumped on these.

Edit: Their bass might not go as low as the logitech because the latter comes with a small sub. But that bass is really muddy anyway since it's clearly a super-cheap sub with a 3" driver.

So, would it be good upgrade? Or not worth the money for more internet/gaming usage than music?

wntrsnowg 08-31-2013 12:01 AM

dont expect any bass out of these. 3" woofers

dj-3lusion 08-31-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhamX (Post 61654630)
Lol.. I'm using a pair of 4 bookshelf speakers from frys @ 139 a pair iirc... They aren't true studio monitors, but what would the real world difference be in sound? (ie. which one would you choose over?) I have an old harmon kardon receiver paired with it, only 85 watts per channel though.

yamaha ns10.. i really doubt this is a reference monitor is it??. or just one of them kiddy toys for show?. I can use a nice set of reference monitors for my desk setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidnynex (Post 61656672)
Would these be safe to put on a desk near external drives?

not like the speakers are going to wipe your data or anything but if you have the volume up, or are mastering then you will or might get an unwanted vibration from whats on the desk unless you use something like a foam or something to dampen the vibration from happening

dj-3lusion 08-31-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djgcue (Post 61655038)

you mean this guy [youtube.com] :lmao: thats totally him!

trojanvirus 08-31-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thealmightygrog (Post 61654848)
I am kind of wondering the same thing. These seem like they would be a good upgrade for my computer speakers without shelling out a bunch of $$

Like the name suggests, they are for music. It's for listening to music. Nothing says you can't use it for gaming or movies, but that's just not what people buy these for.

yugioh2 08-31-2013 06:40 AM

Go through Chase Ultimate Rewards for 4 extra points per dollar.

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my small room and these seems to fit the bill. At this price, if I don't like it, I'm sure I'll be able to get back most of it on craigslist

gsutoph 08-31-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easymonies (Post 61656426)
I understand that these speakers have a LFE out for sub. Does anyone know what the cross over for the LFE is? (Or is it adjustable ? -- may be I'm asking too much)

They don't have a crossover, but the line out is controlled by the volume knob. Your sub should have a crossover though.

warlock110 08-31-2013 08:06 AM

here's a more useful solution to make these better, basically stuff the bass port with a little foam and turn on the bass boost

I'm thinking what it does is change the cross frequency on the low end while lowering it's volume (the manual way)

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so...akers.html

these are probably a little better than the regular computer speakers, while they're totally not worth it for 200 (you can find much much better stuff for 300 a pair), they're probably a little better than the high end computer speakers like the create gigawork T40, which costs roughly about the same.

for 50 bucks I bought one (needed one), the main thing that's cool about these, is that they're tiny, which is great on a small desk. At the same time, they can be use for a 2nd reference set of monitor. While you need your monitor to be honest and revealing, it's also good to check the mix on a "stereo" set, something that most people use to listen to your music.

mangodrink 08-31-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warlock110 (Post 61660920)
these are probably a little better than the regular computer speakers, while they're totally not worth it for 200 (you can find much much better stuff for 300 a pair), they're probably a little better than the high end computer speakers like the create gigawork T40, which costs roughly about the same.

So you're saying that if prices were the same, these Alesis would be a better value than the T40? I really liked the T20 I snagged on clearance for $30 years back, except they had too much bass for the rooms near mine. I was really surprised by the volume the T20 put out without noticeable distortion. (clarification: I gave the T20 to family)

nosliw 08-31-2013 10:19 PM

Is this an upgrade to computer speakers or not? I mainly watch movies on Netflix.

warlock110 09-01-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangodrink (Post 61667842)
So you're saying that if prices were the same, these Alesis would be a better value than the T40? I really liked the T20 I snagged on clearance for $30 years back, except they had too much bass for the rooms near mine. I was really surprised by the volume the T20 put out without noticeable distortion. (clarification: I gave the T20 to family)

better in terms of clarity, the creative speakers has good mid range, but its quite color to make things sounds good.

QuestorJones 09-01-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosliw (Post 61671756)
Is this an upgrade to computer speakers or not? I mainly watch movies on Netflix.

Yes, it is an upgrade... albeit not a huge one. Of course it depends on the quality if the computer speakers you are using now... If they were $20 to $30 then these are a good upgrade.

However, these are not really very good for monitors (music production) since they are low end relative to those... but that does not matter for you since that is not your intended use.

Speakers are tricky and everyone has their preferences... so you really would need to hear them for yourself to be sure they are better than what you have.

For my tastes I would buy a set of Dell 5650 Computer Speakers on Ebay for about the same cost (or less). They are great for watching movies, etc.

borkedness 09-01-2013 08:22 PM

ive been using these http://www.amazon.com/Tweakers-SP...B001QJGYZO as pc speakers!

so huge upgrade for me, thanks!

rolandvpro 09-01-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatSmurf (Post 61654618)
Just my opinion but I think the whole "break-in" thing is BS for modern speakers. There's no evidence that soundchanges after a certain period of use. I don't know why otherwise rational-minded people insist on a "break-in" period when we have devices that actually measure frequency response and don't show any difference.

haha break in drivers ..totally amazing what they think .. you cant teach stupid .. hope they dont vote.

these are actually pretty good i own a pair.

LuncheonMeat 09-01-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolandvpro (Post 61686232)
haha break in drivers ..totally amazing what they think .. you cant teach stupid .. hope they dont vote.

these are actually pretty good i own a pair.

Speakers (and headphones) are diaphragms that need to loosen up to sound their best. No real mystery here...

NikkiTaylor 09-01-2013 08:32 PM

Cool, now I can bang a gong.

pixelman 09-01-2013 08:58 PM

Excellent deal, gonna replace some dead M-Audio's with these.

pixelman 09-02-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuncheonMeat (Post 61686294)
Speakers (and headphones) are diaphragms that need to loosen up to sound their best. No real mystery here...

http://www.audioholics.com/loudsp...or-fiction

WhoBeDaPlaya 09-02-2013 03:20 AM

Would be all over these if I didn't have 5 extra sets of Klipsch Promedia 2.1s just sitting in the garage (bought 'em cheap - $20/set from some Russian dude - and fixed the amps).

Steeldeals 09-02-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelman (Post 61688760)

That author draws sweeping conclusions based on measurements of only two bare drivers that exhibited relatively little change in their mechanical compliance. And most of his assumptions are based on enclosure simulations derived from those small changes in compliance, not actual measurements of in-cabinet responses. Here's a different set of actual before/after bare driver measurements that exhibited greater compliance changes, and thus would have produced more substantial changes in enclosure simulations: http://www.vikash.info/audio/audax/. (That author didn't do enclosure sims or actual in-cabinet measurements.)

But why doesn't anybody do the obvious test of basic frequency response measurements of completed speakers (drivers in cabinets) before/after break-in?

jbj 09-02-2013 09:04 AM

Do I need to hook these up to a receiver? Or I can I just hook them up to the audio out from my TV?

Ichinichi 09-02-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbj (Post 61692570)
Do I need to hook these up to a receiver? Or I can I just hook them up to the audio out from my TV?

They take rca in, so if you have a pair of rca cables and rca out from your tv, you're set.

jbj 09-02-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi (Post 61692782)
They take rca in, so if you have a pair of rca cables and rca out from your tv, you're set.

Perfect, thanks!

NotAClue 09-02-2013 03:29 PM

Yabba dabba doo!!!!

DrYou 09-03-2013 09:29 AM

Just got a set from MF. Intended to buy from Guitar Center cause the local store had in stock but as of this morning they went back up to $99. Site still shows $49 but at checkout the price goes up. I called and they said its a website error and the $99 is the correct price now. Went to MF right after and was able to get for the $49 though.

duhFooL 09-04-2013 05:02 PM

MF's price is at $69 now.

synikil 09-05-2013 12:08 PM

Just got mine and they sound awesome playing back music from my google all access music pass :)

ohhgourami 09-05-2013 04:14 PM

Got mine today. Very unimpressed that these "monitors" aren't neutral. Bass is sloppy and boomy. Very warm sounding. Not what a monitor should sound like. I would say they are worth about $50 though.

big mike 09-06-2013 05:46 AM

Anyone else have a high pitched squeal when they're turned off but plugged in?

MarleeM 09-06-2013 03:10 PM

received them today, i think they sound great for the price, ive had creative and logitech in the same range, these sound better.

if you want bass imo get a dedicated sub. otherwise it will all sound muddy and welll.. shitty. at least a 8" woofer for bass with adequate amp and enclosure or you get mud butt

newone757 09-07-2013 09:33 AM

Got mine yesterday and I'm very impressed after pairing with a sub I had laying around and turning off bass boost. Sound is crisp and clear and the my sub takes care of the low end that the 3" drivers obviously can't. Manage your expectations.

These replaced some $30 Logitechs I've had for years. I always had to do most of my serious listening and casual producing on my Sony MDR-7506's but now I don't have to.

shoekeeper 09-27-2013 03:49 PM

These are great small speakers.