Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   iPod touch 16GB 5th Generation, Black, Refurbished Walmart.com $149 w/ Free Pick up to Store (http://slickdeals.net/e/6312678-ipod-touch-16gb-5th-generation-black-refurbished-walmart-com-149-w-free-pick-up-to-store)

1josh777 09-30-2013 05:12 AM

iPod touch 16GB 5th Generation, Black, Refurbished Walmart.com $149 w/ Free Pick up to Store

1 Attachment(s)
I thought this might be a good option since its the latest Generation.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-i...d/27873088

wikipost 09-30-2013 05:12 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

This model (the 16GB version) only has a front facing 1.5MP "Facetime" camera. It does NOT have a rear camera like the 4th Gen Touch or the 32GB and 64GB 5th Gen Touch.

Teraman 09-30-2013 05:42 AM

Anyone know what the warranty is?

NicoR 09-30-2013 05:49 AM

Just a heads up, no rear camera for this model I believe.

Akbar42 09-30-2013 06:39 AM

In for 2. Xmas is almost done.

andromeda3 09-30-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoR (Post 62202578)
Just a heads up, no rear camera for this model I believe.

Does it have the rear camera or not for sure? I see some sites mention that it does not, whereas some sites mention a 5MP/1.3 MP camera resolution.
Can someone confirm this? thanks

irishguywi 09-30-2013 07:04 AM

this model of the 5th gen (16gb) does not have the rear facing camera:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2...amera.html

" And then there’s the lack of a rear-facing camera. The front-facing camera is great for FaceTime and “selfies,” but the presence of just that single camera is going to put a serious dent in your Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook lives. We increasingly share videos and images over social networking services, and that requires a camera that allows you to frame your subjects. For the most part, a front-facing camera doesn’t allow that—unless you’re the kind of person who shares pictures and videos of yourself almost exclusively.

And that introduces the dilemma of the 16GB iPod touch as a gift, particularly for younger people. Its price makes it a natural. But, for many, the inability to use that gift for a favorite social activity means it won’t be nearly as welcome as the higher-priced iPod touches. While this is hardly a “buyer beware” caveat, those considering this iPod as a gift will want to be aware of just how much the recipient uses social media. "

RonDo 09-30-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andromeda3 (Post 62203466)
Does it have the rear camera or not for sure? I see some sites mention that it does not, whereas some sites mention a 5MP/1.3 MP camera resolution.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

The 16gb model does not show a rear facing camera.

Indio22 09-30-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishguywi (Post 62203506)
this model of the 5th gen (16gb) does not have the rear facing camera:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2...amera.html

" And then there’s the lack of a rear-facing camera. The front-facing camera is great for FaceTime and “selfies,” but the presence of just that single camera is going to put a serious dent in your Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook lives. We increasingly share videos and images over social networking services, and that requires a camera that allows you to frame your subjects. For the most part, a front-facing camera doesn’t allow that—unless you’re the kind of person who shares pictures and videos of yourself almost exclusively.

And that introduces the dilemma of the 16GB iPod touch as a gift, particularly for younger people. Its price makes it a natural. But, for many, the inability to use that gift for a favorite social activity means it won’t be nearly as welcome as the higher-priced iPod touches. While this is hardly a “buyer beware” caveat, those considering this iPod as a gift will want to be aware of just how much the recipient uses social media. "

What the #$%@!? Lots of people use these sort of devices as portable cameras. Seems like a major fail. It is annoying how these companies dink around the customers with this sort of stuff, probably marketing segment BS. I was going to buy one for my son, but I know he would want to take photos with it. :(

dsam 09-30-2013 07:22 AM

NO rear camera in the 16gb model. Only the 32gb and 64gb have the iSight 5mp rear camera. I will pass.

axemexa 09-30-2013 07:31 AM

that's pretty ridiculous that it doesnt have a camera.

i'd rather go with a 4th gen refurb from apple.

irishguywi 09-30-2013 07:33 AM

The 16GB just magically appeared on their website one day as an option. I believe it was designed for the people who wanted a new ipod (5th gen) without spending the extra cash.

Not defending or trying to take a side on this, but it made some sense to me. If the back camera is important, there was a 4th gen (at the time) or the more expensive 5th gen options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indio22 (Post 62203646)
What the #$%@!? Lots of people use these sort of devices as portable cameras. Seems like a major fail. It is annoying how these companies dink around the customers with this sort of stuff, probably marketing segment BS. I was going to buy one for my son, but I know he would want to take photos with it. :(

hot_mamma311 09-30-2013 07:41 AM

Yep no rear camera is a deal breaker for me :( I would also rather get a 4th gen

BSoares 09-30-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axemexa (Post 62203948)

4th gen is not very good anymore, perhaps just for music or videos, not for gaming. Way too slow. Since iOS6 my son's 4th gen is so annoying because it's way too slow for almost any task.

I think if I really needed an iPod touch now I'd wait and hope that next month they update it with the iPhone 5/5c internals and make it a much better device. The 5th gen has the same internals as the iPhone 4S IIRC and that is still ok but will be feeling slow pretty soon.

Indio22 09-30-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishguywi (Post 62203978)
The 16GB just magically appeared on their website one day as an option. I believe it was designed for the people who wanted a new ipod (5th gen) without spending the extra cash.

Not defending or trying to take a side on this, but it made some sense to me. If the back camera is important, there was a 4th gen (at the time) or the more expensive 5th gen options.

I am sure it is about getting people to pay more. These companies have scores of marketers and statisticians who run the numbers, and estimate how removing a feature such as the rear camera, would drive revenue. It just ticks me off because a rear camera is so ubiquitous these days with portable devices. I would rather they have not included some other features, such as the upgraded screen, Siri, etc. The user can get away without that stuff, and it can still drive persons who want that functionality, to the more expensive models. But no rear camera takes away a key functionality, and it would be difficult to frame a photo estimating with the front facing camera. Had it not been mentioned here, I would not have known the rear camera was removed.

Dadude68 09-30-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

yeah it does seem like a pretty important thing to leave out, I understand it though. Their just trying to get the price down, so that if you want a cheap music player the option is there. Still has one camera, just not both.

1josh777 09-30-2013 08:06 AM

For my 11 year old this is a good option even without the extra camera feature. He uses my old Iphone 3g mainly to watch netflix, play games and listen to music.

VanzNOt 09-30-2013 08:07 AM

Do you think it's good to just buy it and sell it on ebay ?

Tempest12 09-30-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsam (Post 62203782)
NO rear camera in the 16gb model. Only the 32gb and 64gb have the iSight 5mp rear camera. I will pass.

Some 16gb models have a rear camera. This one is not one of those models.
*EDIT* I am wrong. No 16gb models have rear camera.

axemexa 09-30-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest12 (Post 62204566)
Some 16gb models have a rear camera. This one is not one of those models.
*EDIT* I am wrong. No 16gb models have rear camera.

O-o-p-s

cocoslover 09-30-2013 08:22 AM

What is the warranty? 3 months or 1 Year.

!xobile! 09-30-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

It is Apple... what do you expect? Sheep are still going to line up to purchase an inferior product that costs more than it should.

ToInfinity 09-30-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSoares (Post 62204114)
4th gen is not very good anymore, perhaps just for music or videos, not for gaming. Way too slow. Since iOS6 my son's 4th gen is so annoying because it's way too slow for almost any task.

I think if I really needed an iPod touch now I'd wait and hope that next month they update it with the iPhone 5/5c internals and make it a much better device. The 5th gen has the same internals as the iPhone 4S IIRC and that is still ok but will be feeling slow pretty soon.

For $150 I would go for 4th gen with more room and cameras, but that's just me...

kcmark 09-30-2013 08:41 AM

We've been looking for an ipod touch for our 10 year old and this looked like a good deal until I realized that the 16GB doesn't have the rear camera. It wouldn't seem so deceptive if the 32GB and 64GB 5th Gen Ipod Touchs also didn't have a rear camera, but they do.

Guess we'll keep looking at used and refurb 4th gen Touchs.

I see TONS of CDMA Verizon Iphone 4's on eBay and Craigslist but can't figure out whether or not we will have any issues using one as an Ipod Touch without activating it. The Iphone 4 has a much better camera than the 4th gen Touch so I'd love to go that route but don't want to get stuck with a brick. Any suggestions?

raichur0xx0rz 09-30-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanzNOt (Post 62204556)

It's not cheap enough to do something like that. You may be able to break even, if you're lucky, I'd say.

---

The only reason they're introducing a lower-cost variant of the 5th Gen is to try to phase out the 3.5" screens and push more people to the 4"...

violentcrimes 09-30-2013 08:52 AM

Looks like a good deal.

ephesians429 09-30-2013 09:00 AM

great price. This has the same A5 processor as well as the retina display that the $299 model has. Just missing the camera.

GoPhish 09-30-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanzNOt (Post 62204556)

You'd be lucky to make $10-$20. This makes resellers sad. :(:lmao:

backnmusic 09-30-2013 09:16 AM

THANK YOU for the heads up on the No Camera. Deal Breaker. And good info for me in the future.
I would prefer 32gb anyway.
But still a great price.

daboss1026 09-30-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axemexa (Post 62203948)

It's an Apple product. Expect the ridiculous.

kim1982 09-30-2013 09:34 AM

I wonder what the differences is..between the 4th and 5th generation?

gpister 09-30-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim1982 (Post 62206238)

Its a pretty good upgrade
ipod touch 5g
I think Camera jumps to 5 megapixels
Better chip
lighter and bigger screen
gets the ios 7 upgrade
better screen resolution
uses lighting pin connectors

I think its a pretty big upgrade I use to own the 4g and I noticed that the 5g really brought its game.

The price is ok, but if you can wait I can see the 16 gig model being $150 new this BF.

mechdrew 09-30-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim1982 (Post 62206238)

As far as the 4th gen iPod touch vs this 16GB 5th gen iPod touch:

3.5 inch (960*640 pixels) vs 4 inch widescreen (1136*640 pixels)
A4 vs A5 processor (faster)
30-pin Dock Connector vs. Lightning Connector
30 FPS VGA front-facing camera vs. 30 FPS 1.2 MP (720p HD) front-facing camera
Rear-facing camera vs. no rear camera
No Siri vs. Siri
iOS 6.1 (can't upgrade past that) vs. iOS 7.0.2 (current)
802.11n 2.4Ghz vs. 802.11n 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz
Bluetooth 2.1 vs. Bluetooth 4.0

Obviously there are some other differences like body style, but those are the main technical differences. I guess if you need a rear-facing camera then this might not be so great, but compared to the 4th gen it is a better option overall.

viperdk 09-30-2013 10:32 AM

This is a low cost option to be used as an iOS entry level model. That is why it is lacking a camera and that stupid touch loop thing that is on the 32 and 64 models. The camera probably would have bumped the MSRP of this from 229 to 249. And to be honest, the cameras on the touches (as with the iPads) are terrible. Not worth it! So it shouldn't be a deal breaker for most.

kaa_krug 09-30-2013 11:17 AM

Good deal. thanks OP

Nate650 09-30-2013 11:23 AM

CNET review [cnet.com]

Rivalyn 09-30-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmark (Post 62205204)
We've been looking for an ipod touch for our 10 year old and this looked like a good deal until I realized that the 16GB doesn't have the rear camera. It wouldn't seem so deceptive if the 32GB and 64GB 5th Gen Ipod Touchs also didn't have a rear camera, but they do.

I see TONS of CDMA Verizon Iphone 4's on eBay and Craigslist but can't figure out whether or not we will have any issues using one as an Ipod Touch without activating it. The Iphone 4 has a much better camera than the 4th gen Touch so I'd love to go that route but don't want to get stuck with a brick. Any suggestions?

You're totally fine using a used IPhone as an IPOD touch. You just turn off cellular data and always connect it to WIFI. I've given my old iphone to be used as such myself.

sunnybaba 09-30-2013 12:23 PM

NO Rear Camera

Quote:

It doesn't have the rear camera, only front camera for facetime.

kidplayer 09-30-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1josh777 (Post 62202210)
I thought this might be a good option since its the latest Generation.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-i...d/27873088

Perfect! My daughter is begging for this for Xmas!

In for 1! Just hope this thing works since it won't be opened for months.

ChippyJoe 09-30-2013 12:46 PM

Is this Apple refurbished (= like new) or somebody else refurbished it (= condition: who knows)?

Kind of important.

ssc280 09-30-2013 12:50 PM

I've used the 5th and the 4th, the 5th blows away the 4th. The camera is the best part of the new Ipod, actually takes quality pics, not having this is a major deal breaker.

aztony 09-30-2013 12:50 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out there. This is a cheaper option that you might want to consider:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-p...-lumia-520

If you're going to use it as a media player or for other non-phone uses only, consider getting a 64 GB micro-SD card. That will set you back about $60, for a total street price of $160.(Actually more like $140 as the 520 has been on sale for $80) That is a savings of $240 when compared to a 64 GB iPod touch, which costs $400

The Lab 09-30-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !xobile! (Post 62204876)
Sheep are still going to line up to purchase an inferior product

The reason I cannot stand the types of people who call others "sheep" is that there is this smug superiority that is almost assuredly not deserved. For example, this guy calls Apple products inferior where their phones, laptops, and other devices have been literally setting the standard for build quality in consumer electronics.

This guy would probably say you can get better performance for less money and that is true, but plenty of people have enough money that they would pay extra for a well-made device from a brand with an established reputation. He calls these people "sheep" but they are often well informed and just making a different choice because they have different needs.

That this guy doesn't realize that someone who makes a different choice isn't necessarily a "sheep" or otherwise ignorant says more about him than it does about any of the consumers he makes fun of.

jonchui 09-30-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lab (Post 62210996)
The reason I cannot stand the types of people who call others "sheep" is that there is this smug superiority that is almost assuredly not deserved. For example, this guy calls Apple products inferior where their phones, laptops, and other devices have been literally setting the standard for build quality in consumer electronics.

This guy would probably say you can get better performance for less money and that is true, but plenty of people have enough money that they would pay extra for a well-made device from a brand with an established reputation. He calls these people "sheep" but they are often well informed and just making a different choice because they have different needs.

That this guy doesn't realize that someone who makes a different choice isn't necessarily a "sheep" or otherwise ignorant says more about him than it does about any of the consumers he makes fun of.

Well said

clearanceman 09-30-2013 12:56 PM

Why not just buy a smart phone and not activate it? You get micro SD capability, a faster processor, and interchangeable batteries. Bought my son a HTC EVO 4G from Cowboom. Makes a lot better player than the apple and the GPS still works without cell service. It was also only $38. Yes it was used, oh no, oh no!

Ride_The_Sky 09-30-2013 12:57 PM

I have been waiting for this, then stopped when I saw no rear facing camera, what is this? Did apple really thing they could unload these cancelled Government phones back to public?

I have an ipad 4th gen (Retina) that I have been waiting to unload, but I want to get an ipod touch in new condition not used, so i thought this was my chance... Any suggestions? I don't want to deal with craiglist spam. The best trade in now is around $300 online

kidplayer 09-30-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearanceman (Post 62211142)
Why not just buy a smart phone and not activate it? You get micro SD capability, a faster processor, and interchangeable batteries. Bought my son a HTC EVO 4G from Cowboom. Makes a lot better player than the apple and the GPS still works without cell service. It was also only $38. Yes it was used, oh no, oh no!

App Store?

jz2789 09-30-2013 01:00 PM

thanks

kidplayer 09-30-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz2789 (Post 62211278)
SD'ers... double check this one. I'm pretty sure this is not a 5th Gen iPod touch. Because apple doesn't offer a 16 GB ipod touch in their 5th Gen line. Its 32 or 64GB. This looks like a 4th gen ipod touch...

Sure they do it's new for. 229 on apples site

Thriftymomof2 09-30-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivalyn (Post 62209046)
You're totally fine using a used IPhone as an IPOD touch. You just turn off cellular data and always connect it to WIFI. I've given my old iphone to be used as such myself.

Ditto on this ^^^. My Iphone 4 screen cracked (for the 2nd time :mad:) so I broke down and got the Iphone 5. My kids love fighting over using my old IPhone 4 for their instagram, youtube, minecraft, etc. Obviously they can only use it if there is a WIFI connection and of course cannot actually use the phone/texting features, but they are hating fine with that :nod:

bluskye 09-30-2013 01:03 PM

This is perfect for my little kids

SP33DFR34K 09-30-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jz2789 (Post 62211278)
thanks

It was a quiet update [everymac.com].

dayandtime 09-30-2013 01:26 PM

iOS 7 or no?

RonDo 09-30-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizardfingers (Post 62211856)
iOS 7 or no?

Can be upgraded to Ios7

mechdrew 09-30-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearanceman (Post 62211142)

People buying an iPod touch are probably not interested in activating another phone on their account. Usually these cheap prices only apply to contracted phones. Also, ecosystem does matter, some are not interested in getting a "cheap" Android device if it requires them to repurchase their iOS apps (it sucks to have to pay for the same app twice, once each from Apple App Store and Google Play Store, as would be the case if you have a combination of iOS and Android).

bluskye 09-30-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechdrew (Post 62211890)
People buying an iPod touch are probably not interested in activating another phone on their account. Usually these cheap prices only apply to contracted phones. Also, ecosystem does matter, some are not interested in getting a "cheap" Android device if it requires them to repurchase their iOS apps (it sucks to have to pay for the same app twice, once each from Apple App Store and Google Play Store, as would be the case if you have a combination of iOS and Android).

Yes, the ecosystem thing is key. My kid's story/puzzle apps are awesome on iOS. No way I would want to go back to android (kids apps sucked at the time I used it).

Just activate new device with Apple ID and all the apps re-appear.

phewd 09-30-2013 01:40 PM

Out of stock online :(

clearanceman 09-30-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechdrew (Post 62211890)

Huh? I said why NOT activate it. And you can get cheap phones off ebay or cowboom and you don't need to activate them, the GPS units still work too. Less money, dual cameras, SD slots, replaceable batteries, faster processors etc.

xveganrox 09-30-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearanceman (Post 62212368)
Huh? I said why NOT activate it. And you can get cheap phones off ebay or cowboom and you don't need to activate them, the GPS units still work too. Less money, dual cameras, SD slots, replaceable batteries, faster processors etc.

Getting a comparable phone off of eBay used would cost at least $300. If you're just looking for an MP3 player you could go much cheaper, but generally people who buy iPod Touches want to be able to play recent games and popular apps, which is something that a used Android phone won't be able to do.

krazyshopper 09-30-2013 01:58 PM

Dead :(

Strmtrper6 09-30-2013 01:58 PM

Might have been said, but this processor was a generation behind when it came out. Hopefully the next revision will actually use the A7.

QuestorJones 09-30-2013 02:01 PM

OOS Online

clearanceman 09-30-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xveganrox (Post 62212488)
Getting a comparable phone off of eBay used would cost at least $300. If you're just looking for an MP3 player you could go much cheaper, but generally people who buy iPod Touches want to be able to play recent games and popular apps, which is something that a used Android phone won't be able to do.

If you really believe a comparable phone would cost $300 there is nothing I can say to you.

jclardy 09-30-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

The 16GB model has no rear camera. Apple introduced after the 32GB/64GB models which do have a rear camera.

GoPhish 09-30-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyshopper (Post 62212568)
Dead :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuestorJones (Post 62212644)
OOS Online

Still in stock for me.

haupman 09-30-2013 04:25 PM

I got this for my kids and they love it. Missing the rear camera isn't a big deal. They use the front camera for sending pictures with SnapChat and for sending video messages to their friends with VingMe.

SmaShT 09-30-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strmtrper6 (Post 62212588)
Might have been said, but this processor was a generation behind when it came out. Hopefully the next revision will actually use the A7.

It won't. iPod Touch always uses the processor of a generation behind. Best you can expect is an A6, and if Apple is feeling greedy, they'll just bump it to an A5X.

krazyshopper 09-30-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoPhish (Post 62214752)
Still in stock for me.

thanks for the heads up. It came back in stock. I grabbed one.

krazyshopper 09-30-2013 04:56 PM

im slightly weary about getting refurbished ipod. I got the ipod nano from rakuten refurbished and in two months it suddenly stopped working for no reason. but i am going to roll the dice again.

movingincircles 09-30-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Geez, when I was 10, I had to share the nintendo with 2 of my brothers.

krazyshopper 09-30-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movingincircles (Post 62216062)

I was not even allowed a Nintendo. My mom did not want me playing video games :( I only got to play at my cousins or friends houses.

Strmtrper6 09-30-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmaShT (Post 62215168)
It won't. iPod Touch always uses the processor of a generation behind. Best you can expect is an A6, and if Apple is feeling greedy, they'll just bump it to an A5X.

My 4th gen touch used an A4 and so did the iphone 4. They both came out in 2010. I think this is the first ipod that didn't, but maybe I'm misreading the wikipedia pages.

Danzilla 09-30-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot_mamma311 (Post 62204108)
Yep no rear camera is a deal breaker for me :( I would also rather get a 4th gen

also remember the 4th gen had kinda weak rear camera compared to the 5MP 5th gen 32&64GB models

Danzilla 09-30-2013 06:09 PM

edit: nevermind. :(

xveganrox 09-30-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearanceman (Post 62212784)
If you really believe a comparable phone would cost $300 there is nothing I can say to you.

If you think that any combination of Android, iOS, BlackBerry 7, BeOS, and OS/2 are directly comparable, then you're probably right: there's nothing you could say to me on this topic. Keep in mind that most people who use iPod Touches are young and many are gamers. Can you send me a link to a cheap phone that will run Infinity Blade III?

nico07 09-30-2013 06:49 PM

Lack of rear camera stinks otherwise I would buy. :(

kcmark 09-30-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thriftymomof2 (Post 62211362)
Ditto on this ^^^. My Iphone 4 screen cracked (for the 2nd time :mad:) so I broke down and got the Iphone 5. My kids love fighting over using my old IPhone 4 for their instagram, youtube, minecraft, etc. Obviously they can only use it if there is a WIFI connection and of course cannot actually use the phone/texting features, but they are hating fine with that :nod:

Question -- can your kids use imessage on your iphone 4 without a carrier subscription? Some online forum posts seem to indicate that imessage won't work with iphones unless they are activated. Can you confirm one way or the other -- this is a deal breaker for us because we want to be able to use imessage to communicate with her over wifi.

kcmark 09-30-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movingincircles (Post 62216062)

When I was 10 I had to share an Atari 2600 with my sister.

wunderdrug 10-02-2013 11:39 AM

I picked mine up from FedEx this morning. The product looks almost new.
There is a note in the outside packaging that indicates this had been
refurbished by The Recon Group. Telephone support until October 19, 2013,
and warranty good until July 20, 2014 (as indicated by the Apple warranty
check page). The unit was running IOS 6.1.3.

Ride_The_Sky 10-02-2013 12:00 PM

I was going to buy this, then I realized we cannot deposit checks with this, what a terrible idea.. no wonder it is cheap and almost brand new, probably just return units when people realize the lack of camera.

GoPhish 10-02-2013 01:07 PM

Back in stock!

ck1988 10-02-2013 01:17 PM

Does anyone have any experience with buying refurbished Apple products. Dont really know what to expect with that?

woodlaxx 10-03-2013 05:03 AM

Thanks OP! I picked mine up from Fedex yesterday and it looks new with absolutely no scratches. It even came in the original packaging and with with the same Recon refurbished card as noted above. The card said it only had a 90 day warranty, but when I looked up the serial number on Apple's site it has a warranty through apple until 7/16/2014! I was having a tough time finding a case without the cutcouts for the rear camera, but I found the Griffin Survivor case that covers the camera and strap holes.

1josh777 10-03-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck1988 (Post 62256766)
Does anyone have any experience with buying refurbished Apple products. Dont really know what to expect with that?

I have purchased refurbished Apple quite a few times.

2x Iphones 3g
2x Iphones 4
Ipad (1st Generation)

They all have been pretty much new without a single scratch. I always check the warranty in the apple store and each has only been registered for just a couple of months before getting to me. Good experience here.

bluddywanka 10-04-2013 08:57 AM

i picked mine up yesterday. looks great, essentially brand new with no scratches/blemishes whatsoever. thanks op!

suttong 10-08-2013 05:52 PM

Back in stock

Ride_The_Sky 10-08-2013 05:56 PM

When will we get refurb ones for 4th gen with cam

1josh777 10-09-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablocordoba (Post 62378016)
When will we get refurb ones for 4th gen with cam

Its out there... but hard to find. Just a few days after this post I saw that Walmart had the 4th gen refurb for the same price but they do not have them anymore online. I know that Apple.com has it for $179

http://store.apple.com/us/product...32gb-black

I ended up purchasing the 32gb ipod touch (4th gen) from Amazon warehouse deals when they had the additional 10% off. I paid $122 after tax and it was excellent. It is more now...

1josh777 10-10-2013 08:02 AM

Its back in stock as well as the 16gb 4th gen (black) (for the same price.)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbi...e/22288797

Ride_The_Sky 10-10-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1josh777 (Post 62394446)
Its out there... but hard to find. Just a few days after this post I saw that Walmart had the 4th gen refurb for the same price but they do not have them anymore online. I know that Apple.com has it for $179

I ended up purchasing the 32gb ipod touch (4th gen) from Amazon warehouse deals when they had the additional 10% off. I paid $122 after tax and it was excellent. It is more now...

I just want to sell my 32GB iPad 4 Retina and get an ipod or Iphone 4S.

Ride_The_Sky 10-10-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1josh777 (Post 62412898)
Its back in stock as well as the 16gb 4th gen (black) (for the same price.)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbi...e/22288797

Thanks for he link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1josh777 (Post 62394446)

You guys are great, it's a shame we can't get it for $122 now, that would be an amazing price, even for 16GB version.

There are reports that 4th Gen is slow? How is this possible? 4th and 5th gen has a very similar processor. Is it possible that RAM is causing problems? 256MB does seem rather restricted. I guess the main complaint would be the lack of OS7 on 4th gen, but from what we can see so far, it's not really a big deal.:rolleyes: