Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Black Friday Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Target Black Friday: Virgin Mobile ZTE Awe Smartphone $19.99 (http://slickdeals.net/f/6419862-target-black-friday-virgin-mobile-zte-awe-smartphone-19-99)

yuugotserved 11-12-2013 01:49 PM

Target Black Friday: Virgin Mobile ZTE Awe Smartphone $19.99

1 Attachment(s)
Target [target.com] has Virgin Mobile ZTE Awe Smartphone for $19.99 on November 29th (BLACK FRIDAY)
Additional info
Category: Smartphones

Rufat 11-12-2013 11:45 PM

it is weird, the phone does not have a page on their website yet..

saber72 11-13-2013 01:05 AM

Hi,
Where did that scan come from? Like Learner said, it's not even listed on their site.

saber72 11-13-2013 01:12 AM

Never mind I found it here. http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Tar...e=4#viewer

Looks like I'm stuck with my old phone for a couple more weeks. Can't pass up on deal this good.

faceless128 11-13-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufat (Post 63262392)

it does have a page

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/sh.../features/

the OEM is ZTE, but it's not ZTE branded.

kennyminot 11-15-2013 01:33 PM

Just lost my phone. Do you know if this will be in limited quantities? Will I have to storm the door in order to get one?

JDubTrey 11-16-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufat (Post 63262392)

I assume that you mean on target.com. Target doesn't sell VM phones online, period.

nanga 11-16-2013 11:20 PM

Can this be flashed to page plus?
Will this work on grandfatherd plan?

mhalbrook 11-19-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanga (Post 63398656)
Can this be flashed to page plus?
Will this work on grandfatherd plan?

It won't be grandfathered, no new phone will.

spacemidget 11-20-2013 07:07 PM

Nice upgrade from my One V.

Dual Core Snapdragon S4 MSM8630 1.2 GHz
1 GB RAM

edit: Cnet review mentions sluggish performance

quikah 11-22-2013 11:32 AM

People on Howardforums are saying they have been able to swap to this phone and keep the $25 plan. might give it a try if I can snag one at this price.

b9b7 11-23-2013 12:25 AM

can i use it as a gps / internet radio streamer / music player / car camera without activate any service?

bstressfree 11-23-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemidget (Post 63535788)
Nice upgrade from my One V.

Dual Core Snapdragon S4 MSM8630 1.2 GHz
1 GB RAM

edit: Cnet review mentions sluggish performance

saw that review on CNET. Thought... sluggish performance compared to what? $400 mega phones? This is a low end phone with 4.5 out of 5 start ratings (VM site) by those who own it. I plan to get 2 of them in case I brick the first one trying to root it. It's a big improvement over my current Kyocera Event.

polzovatelq 11-23-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b9b7 (Post 63625076)
can i use it as a gps / internet radio streamer / music player / car camera without activate any service?

I join issue. Can someone tell? Thx

bigbearballs 11-24-2013 12:33 PM

i have been using this phone for a month and i am very pleased. i even prefer it to the htc evo 3d i was using before it. i bought mine for 45 on cl, i would gladly pay 20 for it. it isn't 4g capable, but i never can get 4g anyway

markcohn28 11-26-2013 12:34 PM

Does anyone know if this phone can be purchase at Target's website during Black Friday?

daftande 11-26-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhalbrook (Post 63461718)
It won't be grandfathered, no new phone will.

Incorrect.

zyx987 11-26-2013 06:22 PM

Does anyone know if this phone will work on Sprint (carrier)?

bargainhunter33 11-27-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markcohn28 (Post 63753350)
Does anyone know if this phone can be purchase at Target's website during Black Friday?

I'd like to know that too??

What time do Black Friday prices officially begin at Target stores?

gtd2000 11-28-2013 09:25 AM

Is this just a hobbled ZTE N800 via installed firmware or is it actually a stripped down version that will only function on Virgin?

I wouldn't mind one of these as a back up phone, if it can be used on other networks per the original ZTE N800...:)

polzovatelq 11-28-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b9b7 (Post 63625076)

up answer.

needpricedeals2 11-28-2013 01:36 PM

8Pm at most stores.

I was hoping to not have to go to the store seeing Target is the place to be this year ($229 50inch tv) aka lines but the website only says store only ;(

nanga 11-28-2013 08:59 PM

Got 2 from Target. Reached there at exactly 8. Let all people in long line enter the store first, and then I entered. Straight to prepaid section. Everyone was buying ipad, paid and out in 15 mins.

Now who is the brave sole to try and report if this can be used in GF plan?

Arthurbliss 11-28-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanga (Post 63904994)
Got 2 from Target. Reached there at exactly 8. Let all people in long line enter the store first, and then I entered. Straight to prepaid section. Everyone was buying ipad, paid and out in 15 mins.

Now who is the brave sole to try and report if this can be used in GF plan?

I will be your hero:D

After checking out some success stories from Howard Forum, I went out and bought the last one left at my local Target, came back and activated the phone with my grandfathered $25 plan. Yep, swapped my phone flawlessly and now my new Awe phone is activated with $25 plan intact.

one plausible theory from that Howard Forum is that Virgin Mobile quietly let grandfathered users to keep the plan as long as new phone is 3G phone, including this ZTE Awe and galaxy ring and other 3g phones. For example, a dude who got new LG F3 LTE got a warning of getting bump up to $35 plan when he attempted swap the phone, because that's LTE phone.

BIG WARNING though, as Virgin may unilaterally change the plan to $35 or whatever at their will, because the official policy is that no grandfathered plan for phones that came out after Optimus Elite.

gtd2000 11-28-2013 09:45 PM

We picked up 3 (1 for me, 1 for my GF and 1 for her sister) at our local Target which has huge lines for that 50" TV that we also wanted but couldn't contemplate getting in that line!

Nobody at all was looking at the Virgin phones at all in our store...

So, I've set one up with Magic Jack and installed a few apps - I now have a handy wifi phone in the house that will be taken on trips for VOIP duties if and when my Pantech Burst runs out of charge when travelling :)

There's already an update pending for the phone (75MB or so) but I've not installed this yet.."if it ain't broke don't fix it", comes to my mind.

The phone feels pretty cheap without the battery installed but once it's inserted it feels much better with a bit of weight.

I'd say it's an $80 phone all day long from my first impressions, seems fairly snappy and no real complaints other than constant nagging that a network was not available during the initial setup.

I turned off mobile data and rebooted and it seems to have calmed down.

Any other tips or observations from other users?

Arthurbliss 11-28-2013 09:49 PM

and anyone in New York/Brooklyn area know any target stores that still have some decent # of inventories left? I went Atlantic Terminal Target in Brooklyn and I was surprised to find only one left. sure, better than nothing, but was kinda disappointed, as needed couple extras.

nanga 11-28-2013 09:54 PM

Thanks for posting. This is good news. Some details...
1. Did you do online swap?
2. If it has to bump up the plan for some reason, if the system going to warn me before I confirm...can I at that point back out?

Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurbliss (Post 63907652)
I will be your hero:D

After checking out some success stories from Howard Forum, I went out and bought the last one left at my local Target, came back and activated the phone with my grandfathered $25 plan. Yep, swapped my phone flawlessly and now my new Awe phone is activated with $25 plan intact.

one plausible theory from that Howard Forum is that Virgin Mobile quietly let grandfathered users to keep the plan as long as new phone is 3G phone, including this ZTE Awe and galaxy ring and other 3g phones. For example, a dude who got new LG F3 LTE got a warning of getting bump up to $35 plan when he attempted swap the phone, because that's LTE phone.

BIG WARNING though, as Virgin may unilaterally change the plan to $35 or whatever at their will, because the official policy is that no grandfathered plan for phones that came out after Optimus Elite.

Arthurbliss 11-28-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanga (Post 63908218)
Thanks for posting. This is good news. Some details...
1. Did you do online swap?
2. If it has to bump up the plan for some reason, if the system going to warn me before I confirm...can I at that point back out?

Thanks,

1. yep I did/
2. I heard that a window pops up and warn you about bumping up the plan, and you can back out from that window. never personally experienced it, but I am sure you will have choice after the warning.

http://www.howardforums.com/showt...he-25-plan

this is the link that I mentioned previously. a few people had success swapping the phone to ZTE Awe, Galaxy Ring and other 3g phones.

bargainhunter33 11-29-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtd2000 (Post 63907666)
We picked up 3 (1 for me, 1 for my GF and 1 for her sister) at our local Target which has huge lines for that 50" TV that we also wanted but couldn't contemplate getting in that line!

Nobody at all was looking at the Virgin phones at all in our store...

So, I've set one up with Magic Jack and installed a few apps - I now have a handy wifi phone in the house that will be taken on trips for VOIP duties if and when my Pantech Burst runs out of charge when travelling :)

There's already an update pending for the phone (75MB or so) but I've not installed this yet.."if it ain't broke don't fix it", comes to my mind.

The phone feels pretty cheap without the battery installed but once it's inserted it feels much better with a bit of weight.

I'd say it's an $80 phone all day long from my first impressions, seems fairly snappy and no real complaints other than constant nagging that a network was not available during the initial setup.

I turned off mobile data and rebooted and it seems to have calmed down.

Any other tips or observations from other users?

How does Magic Jack work with this phone??

I use Magic Jack on my home PC and it is great but never realized it could be used on a smartphone.

jajabingo 11-29-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargainhunter33 (Post 63923212)

I use Magic Jack on my home PC and it is great but never realized it could be used on a smartphone.

very very newbie but see Magic Jack on sale always wondered about this do I just need phone jack and internet connection or and how is call quality also can you call international?

bargainhunter33 11-29-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jajabingo (Post 63923750)
very very newbie but see Magic Jack on sale always wondered about this do I just need phone jack and internet connection or and how is call quality also can you call international?

On my home PC with a decent Comcast/Infinity internet connection the MagicJack works great.
You just plug the MagicJack device into your computer USB port and then plug your phone into the MagicJack. When your PC is off the MagicJack will direct all calls to the voicemail. The call quality is really pretty darn good I have no complaints. It is only $30 a year for unlimited USA calling...not sure about international? I've seen deals on Ebay brand new MagicJack and service for even less than the $30 I got mine for.

Now having a MagicJack device on this ZTE Awe phone (???) is really interesting for a portable WIFI phone.

CHERRLIN 11-29-2013 02:27 AM

R+?

anybody tried to use it in R+?
When I check the device with MEID, it is said in the "blacklist".:mad::mad:

unsurpassedcabbage 11-29-2013 12:31 PM

Successful swap from Optimus V to ZTE Awe on $25 plan using VM website. Huge upgrade for me and I love it. Bought 2 at Target last night at 8pm. In and out in about 15 min. VM displays full except for a few slickdealers grabbing the ZTE first, ha! I just joined slickdeals to upgrade my phone so thanks, and you're repped.

gtd2000 11-29-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargainhunter33 (Post 63923212)

Just go to the Play Store and search for Magic Jack, install, then create a free account and that's it :D

Call yourself from the Magic Jack app to verify your caller ID number.

Works perfectly for me so far - been using for around a month now.

gtd2000 11-29-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargainhunter33 (Post 63924212)
On my home PC with a decent Comcast/Infinity internet connection the MagicJack works great.
You just plug the MagicJack device into your computer USB port and then plug your phone into the MagicJack. When your PC is off the MagicJack will direct all calls to the voicemail. The call quality is really pretty darn good I have no complaints. It is only $30 a year for unlimited USA calling...not sure about international? I've seen deals on Ebay brand new MagicJack and service for even less than the $30 I got mine for.

Now having a MagicJack device on this ZTE Awe phone (???) is really interesting for a portable WIFI phone.

I was going to change to Magic Jack for home use but ended up getting Nettalk Duo instead as we wanted to keep our original number.

Nettalk just charge a one time fee for porting the number but Magic Jack supposedly charge you $10 per year to keep your ported number.

So far the Nettalk Duo works very well indeed but now and again I have to add a 1 in front of the dialed number for some unknown reason.

We pay about the same for 1 year of service now compared to 1 month of service with Verizon or Comcast. Glad to get shot of them!

I changed my mobile provider to Lycamobile from Straight Talk. The service in my area is fairly crappy to be honest - especially compared to ST but heck I've used less than $4 of calls in 2 months vs a guaranteed $90 with ST! ;)

threebeers 11-29-2013 04:51 PM

Got the last two at Target at 10AM. That is, 14 hours after the doors opened. Will gift.

I'm assuming these can be run wifi without service activation like other Boost/VM phones. If so, this is just a stupid good deal device to run apps, Chromecast, Netflix, Google Apps, and the above hacked phone services earlier posters mentioned. 4 inch IPS, dual core, for $20? Huh? Why were they still there? It was in the ad for gosh sakes. Why wasn't this FP?

Wonders never cease in the land of SD.

Thanks OP.

DonnieT 11-29-2013 04:55 PM

Another grandfathered plan success story here. I didn't receive any notice of having to upgrade and plan still shows $25 monthly. This is a ridiculous good deal! Phone scores around ~5000 in Quadrant and around ~4400 in 3DMark. Much better than the Elite I upgraded from.

sonieme 11-29-2013 08:23 PM

I was able to keep my $25 plan as well. Nice upgrade from my Optimus V.

nanga 11-29-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebeers (Post 63963856)
If so, this is just a stupid good deal device to run apps, Chromecast, Netflix, Google Apps, and the above hacked phone services earlier posters mentioned. 4 inch IPS, dual core, for $20? Huh? Why were they still there? It was in the ad for gosh sakes. Why wasn't this FP?

Thanks OP.

Couldn't agree more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonieme (Post 63973810)
I was able to keep my $25 plan as well. Nice upgrade from my Optimus V.

I can also report successful port in GF plan from Elite to Awe.

nanga 11-29-2013 10:37 PM

Where is GPS Nav App in this phone. I can't find it. I see map but not Navigation app....something changed in later version of android?

RamblinMan 11-30-2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebeers (Post 63963856)
Got the last two at Target at 10AM. That is, 14 hours after the doors opened. Will gift.

I'm assuming these can be run wifi without service activation like other Boost/VM phones. If so, this is just a stupid good deal device to run apps, Chromecast, Netflix, Google Apps, and the above hacked phone services earlier posters mentioned. 4 inch IPS, dual core, for $20? Huh? Why were they still there? It was in the ad for gosh sakes. Why wasn't this FP?

Thanks OP.

At my Target(CA), lines started forming around noon. I returned around 7:30PM there were a good 200 people in line. I gave up. At 1:30AM Fri, online showed in stock, so I went down to buy 2, and there were a good 40 phones on the shelf. That was easy. I checked at noon Fri and there were still plenty in stock. Even now it's showing in stock at all Targets in 50 mile radius, so yeah, still there.
OT- Now the bad, after hours trying to transfer my number and activate, It's still not activated. Not impressed with customer service at all, so far. Online only activation, no phone help. We'll see if they email me tomorrow.

Update: No email. Called again begging, pleading, demanding. Over hour later and several reps later, last rep set up in 15 mins no problem. (Why I didn't get her first) Not exactly hassle free like VM claims, but its done.

generics 11-30-2013 08:24 AM

After I bought from Target, the esn check is showing invalid.

spunker88 11-30-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanga (Post 63979724)
Where is GPS Nav App in this phone. I can't find it. I see map but not Navigation app....something changed in later version of android?

Its all been merged in the Maps app. Enter your destination in there and then you'll see a navigate button.

meulbr 11-30-2013 06:18 PM

Where does it state "Dual Core Snapdragon S4 MSM8630 1.2 GHz"...all I see is 1.2 GHz; no dual

toughcookie360 11-30-2013 09:51 PM

I just wanted to use this as a media device. I just rooted & installed SU. How the heck do I turn off the hands free activation and not install the VM bloatware package? TIA

DizzyFish 11-30-2013 10:55 PM

Got two at 9pm Saturday in the Naperville Target. Went to get the PS3 for 3d blu-ray capabilities for the Fry's electronics Sony LED and saw this while waiting for checkout. There were a dozen left. I wonder this wasn't sold out. Planning to give this to the kids for use as a media player. It would have cost me more not to buy this. :)

I am new to Virgin mobile. Can someone tell me if Virgin will brick this if I do not activate.
In the past I have used GSM android phone without activation for long periods of time without issue.
In fact my unlocked ATT phone works fine on TMo and also receives OTA updates fine.

Thanks.

bunnyeric 11-30-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHERRLIN (Post 63925112)
anybody tried to use it in R+?
When I check the device with MEID, it is said in the "blacklist".:mad::mad:

same here. i just tried. says blacklist.:mad:

gtd2000 12-01-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meulbr (Post 64012290)
Where does it state "Dual Core Snapdragon S4 MSM8630 1.2 GHz"...all I see is 1.2 GHz; no dual

if you run Antutu benchmark it shows dual core for me. Also recorded a 13600 result which was pretty decent.

gtd2000 12-01-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughcookie360 (Post 64019012)
I just wanted to use this as a media device. I just rooted & installed SU. How the heck do I turn off the hands free activation and not install the VM bloatware package? TIA

is the VM bloatware package the 75M download that keeps popping up after unlocking the screen?

fuegin 12-01-2013 08:24 AM

Until when is the $20 price valid?

daloser 12-01-2013 08:25 AM

Does this allow for wifi hotspot that and the 25 plan have kept me from upgrading

bl1014 12-01-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuegin (Post 64032562)
Until when is the $20 price valid?

I just tried at my Target and it is now 59.99. YMMV, I live in a smallish city.

jajabingo 12-01-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughcookie360 (Post 64019012)

can I ask how easy is it to root and is a guide available as I have never done but want to and what is the SU and do I need to install this? am very new to android as use iPhone so any and all help very much appreciated thanks (like links or just really detailed.)

Dealzcat 12-01-2013 07:56 PM

Virgin Mobile Facebook Reply to putting the ZTE Awe on the $25 plan:

"Virgin Mobile USA Hello John, we are happy to hear you are enjoying the phone. I have to warn you that the system allowing you to stay on that plan is a glitch. Do not be surprised when it prompt’s you to change the plan. There is no guarantee the services will work correctly on this plan either. ^Stacey Y."

threebeers 12-03-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jajabingo (Post 64051240)
can I ask how easy is it to root and is a guide available as I have never done but want to and what is the SU and do I need to install this? am very new to android as use iPhone so any and all help very much appreciated thanks (like links or just really detailed.)

Best root thread I found: http://androidforums.com/awe-all-...-root.html

Would enjoy hearing from anyone who successfully rooted, and if anything didn't work after, since don't intend to open until Xmas. Thanks

threebeers 12-03-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meulbr (Post 64012290)

This says it is dual core, with only one core activated through the software, but the other can be activated after root:

http://androidforums.com/zte-awe/...d-out.html

marklin 12-04-2013 09:30 AM

Anyone know how to put this phone on Page Plus?

nanga 12-04-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marklin (Post 64193520)
Anyone know how to put this phone on Page Plus?

You have to flash it, but I can't find any instruction or discussion on xda or hofo regarding this. If anyone knows or tried it, please post.

gtd2000 12-23-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanga (Post 64197730)
You have to flash it, but I can't find any instruction or discussion on xda or hofo regarding this. If anyone knows or tried it, please post.

seems to be a few people offering remote flashing for a fee.

gtd2000 12-23-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebeers (Post 64150488)
Best root thread I found: http://androidforums.com/awe-all-...-root.html

Would enjoy hearing from anyone who successfully rooted, and if anything didn't work after, since don't intend to open until Xmas. Thanks

Everything seems to be OK for me after rooting. still have not figured out how to stop the nagging activation after a reboot... That the main grumble that I have. I also notice this phone has a problem with Skype video calls. I can talk all day long with Skype but using video seems to upset the phone and usually crashes Skype or cuts the call. Any ideas about that?

gtd2000 01-12-2014 09:39 PM

Just found out you cant use apps2sd with this phone...