Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) $2550 + Free Shipping! (eBay Daily Deal) (http://slickdeals.net/f/6665666-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-22-3-mp-full-frame-digital-slr-camera-body-only-2550-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal)

DJ3xclusive 01-31-2014 09:20 AM

Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) $2550 + Free Shipping! (eBay Daily Deal)

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS...2c7ad4f198

m37 01-31-2014 09:34 AM

NOTE: The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body may come in a kit box. The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body for sale is 100% Brand New, Never Used. The lens has been removed from the kit box and sold on a separate listing.

SlickLegacy 01-31-2014 09:38 AM

6ave not an authorized canon dealer.

juserf 01-31-2014 09:56 AM

grey market, is canon going to authorize the warranty? I heard that lots of those were actually covered by Canon warranty.

michi098 01-31-2014 09:58 AM

We should really make a knowledge base article about the Canon grey market sales because I keep forgetting myself. Anyone who knows, does Canon cover these under warranty or do you have to pay to get stuff fixed if they break in the warranty period?

STROBIST 01-31-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michi098 (Post 65772566)
We should really make a knowledge base article about the Canon grey market sales because I keep forgetting myself. Anyone who knows, does Canon cover these under warranty or do you have to pay to get stuff fixed if they break in the warranty period?

Keep in mind...for warranty service you need to:

Purchase from authorized dealer
Registered your warranty
Be able to present original sales receipt when requesting repair work

So if you can't claim the above items you will not be eligible for repair work covered under warranty.

You can still get repair work - but you'll pay for it, out of pocket that is.

So weigh the cost...buy grey market and save money now and hope you don't have a need for repair within what would have been the warranty period. You come out on the good end.

Buy grey market, save money now, need work later - you spend money. How much compared to what you saved will determined whether or not you came out on the good side.

Buy from auth dealer, following process above and have peace of mind during the warranty period.

Me personally, I'll take the savings now (if it is significant) and hope for the best. So far so good in that arena. YMMV.

soopafly 01-31-2014 10:07 AM

How can you tell that this is grey market?

michi098 01-31-2014 10:12 AM

I have never registered a warranty and have used their services before. Just filled out the online form for repair under warranty request.

The other points are correct.

But there has been a lot of talk about this and I remember people saying that they got warranty work done even though they bought from let's say Bivalueinc etc... Just can't remember exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROBIST (Post 65772820)

Registered your warranty

So if you can't claim the above items you will not be eligible for repair work covered under warranty.

So weigh the cost...buy grey market and save money now and hope you don't have a need for repair within what would have been the warranty period. You come out on the good end.

Buy grey market, save money now, need work later - you spend money. How much compared to what you saved will determined whether or not you came out on the good side.

Buy from auth dealer, following process above and have peace of mind during the warranty period.

Me personally, I'll take the savings now (if it is significant) and hope for the best. So far so good in that arena. YMMV.

m37 01-31-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soopafly (Post 65772832)

The listing says:

NOTE: The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body may come in a kit box. The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body for sale is 100% Brand New, Never Used. The lens has been removed from the kit box and sold on a separate listing.

SlickLegacy 01-31-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soopafly (Post 65772832)

Search Canom authorized dealer.
see if 6ave is in the list.

SIR_of_Cricket 01-31-2014 10:49 AM

woah... that's a cracking price.

soopafly 01-31-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m37 (Post 65773568)
The listing says:

Ah. I guess I had the incorrect definition of 'grey market' in my head. For some reason, I had thought 'grey market' meant that it was imported into the US and not meant to be sold here.

vip00 01-31-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soopafly (Post 65774834)
Ah. I guess I had the incorrect definition of 'grey market' in my head. For some reason, I had thought 'grey market' meant that it was imported into the US and not meant to be sold here.

Your definition is proper, though the usage is more broad than it used to be. These days 'grey market' refers to anything that's sold new without warranty.

mrlocalhost 01-31-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michi098 (Post 65772976)
I have never registered a warranty and have used their services before. Just filled out the online form for repair under warranty request.

The other points are correct.

But there has been a lot of talk about this and I remember people saying that they got warranty work done even though they bought from let's say Bivalueinc etc... Just can't remember exactly.

What's actually covered under the canon warranty?

cengell 01-31-2014 12:05 PM

FYI for anybody thinking about buying this, I found this info on the bottom of there ebay listing...

"Our products are covered by a warranty of 1-year parts and 90-days for labor. If you need more information, please contact our customer service department for warranty info. 6AVE will provide a warranty of 1-year parts and 90-days for labor and defects for new products in any case where the manufacturer will not do so.

Please be aware that while all items we sell are brand new and never used, there are instances where we deliver the camera body (and box contents) in a box which originally included the camera and the lens. Please be reassured that the package that you received is brand new, never used, and comes with full documentation "

This to means Canon will not warranty this camera and a 90 day labor is VERY BAD as that can cost alot...

Just something to think about..

Christopher

phil321 01-31-2014 12:32 PM

If you are not sure what is "grey market" is, or will Canon/Nikon will pay for the repair, go to Adorama or B&Hphoto and read their definition about "grey market". Grey market item is always sale for less in their website. If grey market item is cover by manufactures, there is no reason Adorama/B&H didn't mention it to increase their sale.

Some time, I've read some members post here that they can get the repair covered by Canon. Be smart and think twice!!!
From many years ago, when I bought my first SLR camera, people already talked about some companies in New York city. They offer us a too good to be true price. After we place the order, they will call us to suggest more accessories. The chance we have headache is more than the chance of having a good deal.

This post is for someone looking at a "grey market" deal item since I have seen many "grey market" camera deal lately. There is nothing again the seller in this OP.

Really Really hope this help someone :)

ZZCool50 01-31-2014 12:39 PM

Or you could spend $150 more and get this from an authorized Canon dealer:

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.d...7AodAjMALg

Choices... Choices....

bob19740 01-31-2014 12:39 PM

I remember for about 3-5 months after release, this camera would ocassionally go on sale for under $2500 from authorized dealers.. then Canon tightened its noose on MAP pricing and the price rose..
I think the dealers get this camera from Canon for about $2400. Dont bite until the price falls below $2000 which could be, in a year from now.

Nate650 01-31-2014 12:45 PM

CNET review [cnet.com]

civicsi13 01-31-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZCool50 (Post 65778032)
Or you could spend $150 more and get this from an authorized Canon dealer:

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.d...7AodAjMALg

Choices... Choices....

Abes of Maine is not an authorized dealer according to Canon's website.

Imported white box's are not suppose the be covered under Canon USA warranty. If you buy it from an authorized dealer you may be able to still get covered.

The USA white box's ARE covered by Canon's 1 year warranty.

jdramirez 01-31-2014 01:09 PM

Just buy the square trade warranty. This is a great price and all electronics have a failure rate... so protect yourself.

kappasoccerg 01-31-2014 01:13 PM

Has anyone actually had to use the warranty to repair a 5diii? Aren't these things supposedly made like a tank? Just wondering.

thedealguy79 01-31-2014 02:08 PM

everyone should do their own research as it relates to the warranty and if Canon would cover it under their 12 month coverage even if its not from an authorized dealer. instead of relying on opinions from people on slickdeals who 1) most likely don't own a DSLR, 2) never had to send a Canon in for warranty coverage, 3) only know what they have read from bits and pieces in camera related threads on SD and 4) generally don't know what they are talking about.

I did my own research, including an actual call to Canon warranty services. I know, a PHONE call...can you believe it. most people on here are two lazy to call an actual person to get information and if its not in the top 3 results on a google search they don't know what to do.

in the end I felt comfortable based on my research to buy the camera from an ebay vendor that was not an authorized dealer. just make sure 100% its the USA version of the camera and brand new. mine was, and even included the original warranty card (no this is NOT required for warranty service).

its most likely a non-issue anyway. I have owned 4 Canon DSLRs and never once had to send them in for warranty coverage. have sent them in for cleaning, etc but never have had warranty issues and definitely not in the first 12 months.

I think a lot is discussed about warranties on these ebay sales by people that don't have a clue

randomword 01-31-2014 02:09 PM

Bought one. Tax to ship to NJ, no tax for NY. So, shipped to office!

Considering that eBay auctions end for used versions of this camera at this price, I thought the weak warranty coverage was worth the discount.

thedealguy79 01-31-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil321 (Post 65777826)
If you are not sure what is "grey market" is, or will Canon/Nikon will pay for the repair, go to Adorama or B&Hphoto and read their definition about "grey market". Grey market item is always sale for less in their website. If grey market item is cover by manufactures, there is no reason Adorama/B&H didn't mention it to increase their sale.

Some time, I've read some members post here that they can get the repair covered by Canon. Be smart and think twice!!!
From many years ago, when I bought my first SLR camera, people already talked about some companies in New York city. They offer us a too good to be true price. After we place the order, they will call us to suggest more accessories. The chance we have headache is more than the chance of having a good deal.

This post is for someone looking at a "grey market" deal item since I have seen many "grey market" camera deal lately. There is nothing again the seller in this OP.

Really Really hope this help someone :)

wow, you are very wrong

Adorama "grey market" lenses/etc refer to imported versions. What you typically find from these types of ebay sellers are USA version cameras, they just aren't authorized dealers. there is a big difference between these two "grey market" items. Canon will service a NEW USA model camera within the first 12 months. they will NOT service an import version.

you are comparing apples to oranges and this type of mis-information is rampant on SD when it comes to these Canon deals.

like I said, do your own investigation, don't rely on someone from SD to guide your purchase. there is more incorrect info on here than anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappasoccerg (Post 65779244)
Has anyone actually had to use the warranty to repair a 5diii? Aren't these things supposedly made like a tank? Just wondering.

exactly,

phil321 01-31-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedealguy79 (Post 65781282)
wow, you are very wrong

Adorama "grey market" lenses/etc refer to imported versions. What you typically find from these types of ebay sellers are USA version cameras, they just aren't authorized dealers. there is a big difference between these two "grey market" items. Canon will service a NEW USA model camera within the first 12 months. they will NOT service an import version.

you are comparing apples to oranges and this type of mis-information is rampant on SD when it comes to these Canon deals.

like I said, do your own investigation, don't rely on someone from SD to guide your purchase. there is more incorrect info on here than anything.

exactly,

You talk about "service" when we talk about "warranty." We all known that Canon will service any Canon product at any time as long as we pay them. We don't care about that. We care about the WARRANTY = FREE SERVICE in the first 12 month.

Your post make the reader "think" this "grey market" will get 12 month warranty; AND this camera built like a tank, why worry about warranty, just go ahead and buy it.

As I have said, I just post my opinion to help someone here. I am not again the OP.
Let other members determine who you try to help here :)

thedealguy79 01-31-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil321 (Post 65782226)
You talk about "service" when we talk about "warranty." We all known that Canon will service any Canon product at any time as long as we pay them. We don't care about that. We care about the WARRANTY = FREE SERVICE in the first 12 month.

Your post make the reader "think" this "grey market" will get 12 month warranty; AND this camera built like a tank, why worry about warranty, just go ahead and buy it.

As I have said, I just post my opinion to help someone here. I am not again the OP.
Let other members determine who you try to help here :)

ok, let me clarify my statement...they will service your camera under WARRANTY even if purchased from non-authorized dealer. as long as its USA version and was purchased new. this is based on my research and actually talking to a couple of canon reps on the phone.

but as I mentioned...don't rely on "information" on this issue from a post on SD. its a big purchase, big a big boy/girl and actually read the warranty and speak to someone (at canon)

and stop trying to confuse people with "grey market" jargon. my response has nothing to do with non-USA, import versions of the camera as I clearly stated. you are the one confusing people by making it sound like we are talking about import version, which no one was doing.

ElBerryKM13 01-31-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedealguy79 (Post 65781070)
everyone should do their own research as it relates to the warranty and if Canon would cover it under their 12 month coverage even if its not from an authorized dealer. instead of relying on opinions from people on slickdeals who 1) most likely don't own a DSLR, 2) never had to send a Canon in for warranty coverage, 3) only know what they have read from bits and pieces in camera related threads on SD and 4) generally don't know what they are talking about.

I did my own research, including an actual call to Canon warranty services. I know, a PHONE call...can you believe it. most people on here are two lazy to call an actual person to get information and if its not in the top 3 results on a google search they don't know what to do.

in the end I felt comfortable based on my research to buy the camera from an ebay vendor that was not an authorized dealer. just make sure 100% its the USA version of the camera and brand new. mine was, and even included the original warranty card (no this is NOT required for warranty service).

its most likely a non-issue anyway. I have owned 4 Canon DSLRs and never once had to send them in for warranty coverage. have sent them in for cleaning, etc but never have had warranty issues and definitely not in the first 12 months.

I think a lot is discussed about warranties on these ebay sales by people that don't have a clue

Your post should be the first reply in EVERY canon camera deal thread. I hate to read the same discussion from people that don't have a clue on warranties. Thank you for your information!

lol 01-31-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STROBIST (Post 65772820)

Registered your warranty

From what I understood, grey market merchandises have the qualities that may not hold up to a certain standards to be import into the US. They usually are sold at discount prices to markets other than in the US and Europeans. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Parallacs 01-31-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappasoccerg (Post 65779244)

Despite keeping mine in great condition, I had to send in my 5D mark III after the top shutter wheel stopped working.

To be fair, all major brand DSLRs are built like tanks and I did have 40,000 actuations by that point (10 months) but having that warranty really helped me.

I personally would never buy from a non-Canon Authorized Dealer.

outdoor_man 01-31-2014 04:41 PM

I highly recommend an SLR, as the pictures come at much clearer than non-SLR
I've had a good experience withthis model. A++

rainman65 01-31-2014 05:24 PM

An opinion from a pro shooter.

If you're buying this camera, spend the few extra $s and just get it from an authorized dealer. If not, buy it on Craigslist for a near mint/mint/BNIB from someone who did and has the original receipt. Why would you risk spending this kind of $ and ...

justmy2

jdramirez 01-31-2014 07:07 PM

Was there this much fever by amateurs for the mkii? Orwas this business plan not in effect at the time?

Akarin 01-31-2014 07:19 PM

gray market is not inferior products
they are just packaged and mean't to be for sale in a different country.
and thus one year warranty dosen't apply. and you may get manuals in foreign language etc.
some have different model names.
650D instead of T4i (both identitcal)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainman65 (Post 65786068)
An opinion from a pro shooter.

If you're buying this camera, spend the few extra $s and just get it from an authorized dealer. If not, buy it on Craigslist for a near mint/mint/BNIB from someone who did and has the original receipt. Why would you risk spending this kind of $ and ...

justmy2

used usually go for $2400-$2500 for near mint condition.
why would I want a camera that's been handled by who knows what?
one year warranty is 11 months longer than this deal. (you get 30 days money back)
generally if it's actually defective, you would know it right away.
and expensive cameras like this are built to last, if you accidentally damaged it, it isn't cover regardless you got warranty or not.

rainman65 01-31-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akarin (Post 65787924)
gray market is not inferior products
they are just packaged and mean't to be for sale in a different country.
and thus one year warranty dosen't apply. and you may get manuals in foreign language etc.
some have different model names.
650D instead of T4i (both identitcal)

used usually go for $2400-$2500 for near mint condition.
why would I want a camera that's been handled by who knows what?
one year warranty is 11 months longer than this deal. (you get 30 days money back)
generally if it's actually defective, you would know it right away.
and expensive cameras like this are built to last, if you accidentally damaged it, it isn't cover regardless you got warranty or not.

When I buy on CL, I'm looking for amazing deals on relatively inexpensive items ($2,400 - $2,500 for a Mark III wouldn't be).
Usually it's someone who needs to dump it (for whatever reason) & I always get the original invoice from the authorized dealer.
I can also inspect first hand and not worry about s/h, returning, $ being held up on my cc etc...

Examples of what I've bought:
70-200 F/4 non-is $425 mint (this year)
17-40 $500 mint (this year)
50/1.4 $220 near mint (last year)
6D $1,200 BNIB (last year)
70D $800 BNIB (last year, sold it for $900 this year)

A Mark III is a totally different animal. For $2k+, I'd get an amazing deal w/receipt or spend the extra few $ and have a piece of mind.
Years ago, I bought grey mkt, tried non-authorized dealers...not anymore.

But that's just me...

rainman65 01-31-2014 08:31 PM

Should add that on lenses and other items, defects are easy to spot.

But on bodies, there are so many things that wouldn't be obvious until you actually check them.

Anyway, to each their own. Maybe I'm just getting old and conservative.

Akarin 01-31-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainman65 (Post 65788958)
When I buy on CL, I'm looking for amazing deals on relatively inexpensive items ($2,400 - $2,500 for a Mark III wouldn't be).
Usually it's someone who needs to dump it (for whatever reason) & I always get the original invoice from the authorized dealer.
I can also inspect first hand and not worry about s/h, returning, $ being held up on my cc etc...

Examples of what I've bought:
70-200 F/4 non-is $425 mint (this year)
17-40 $500 mint (this year)
50/1.4 $220 near mint (last year)
6D $1,200 BNIB (last year)
70D $800 BNIB (last year, sold it for $900 this year)

A Mark III is a totally different animal. For $2k+, I'd get an amazing deal w/receipt or spend the extra few $ and have a piece of mind.
Years ago, I bought grey mkt, tried non-authorized dealers...not anymore.

But that's just me...

yeah, that's just you.
I rather have clean equipment than one that someone has been handling/using around. sure, you might find someone who will give you the example deals. but really. IF they bought it themselves, they used it, afterall you don't go and spend $2800 on camera and not use it. IF they got it as a gift, half the time they wouldn't have the receipt, and even if they do, they know how much it costs new and wouldn't bargain as much.

chances of new items breaking due to defect is way low that I would be willing to take the chance even if it was to save $50.

as for the examples of deals you found, those are one of the time things and you would need to be actively looking for it. I buy stuff every single day for resell at equal your deal or better, but again, those are things you can't buy right away and need to be actively looking.

my example
for this week alone on ebay,
7D + 16-35mm f/2.8 II + canon grip - $1675 shipped BNIB
5D mkii + 24-105mm used - $1500 shipped
70d + 18-135mm STM+ 55-250mm - like new $1025 shipped
also got sony a900, nikon d90, d7000 last week at great prices but you get what I'm saying

rainman65 01-31-2014 08:37 PM

deleted - someone already posted Abe's not an auth'd dealer, sorry

rainman65 01-31-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akarin (Post 65789168)
yeah, that's just you.
I rather have clean equipment than one that someone has been handling/using around. sure, you might find someone who will give you the example deals. but really. IF they bought it themselves, they used it, afterall you don't go and spend $2800 on camera and not use it. IF they got it as a gift, half the time they wouldn't have the receipt, and even if they do, they know how much it costs new and wouldn't bargain as much.

chances of new items breaking due to defect is way low that I would be willing to take the chance even if it was to save $50.

as for the examples of deals you found, those are one of the time things and you would need to be actively looking for it. I buy stuff every single day for resell at equal your deal or better, but again, those are things you can't buy right away and need to be actively looking.

my example
for this week alone on ebay,
7D + 16-35mm f/2.8 II + canon grip - $1675 shipped BNIB
5D mkii + 24-105mm used - $1500 shipped
70d + 18-135mm STM+ 55-250mm - like new $1025 shipped
also got sony a900, nikon d90, d7000 last week at great prices but you get what I'm saying

I only look for gear I need and look 2x a day (takes 2 minutes).

But you're a reseller. I just shoot photos for a living so let's just agree to disagree.

ShutterbugPhotog 02-02-2014 11:46 AM

For the "BODY ONLY" & possibility of warranty issues, too much $ & way too big of a risk. Adorama has better

polythene 02-02-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedealguy79 (Post 65782456)
ok, let me clarify my statement...they will service your camera under WARRANTY even if purchased from non-authorized dealer. as long as its USA version and was purchased new. this is based on my research and actually talking to a couple of canon reps on the phone.

but as I mentioned...don't rely on "information" on this issue from a post on SD. its a big purchase, big a big boy/girl and actually read the warranty and speak to someone (at canon)

and stop trying to confuse people with "grey market" jargon. my response has nothing to do with non-USA, import versions of the camera as I clearly stated. you are the one confusing people by making it sound like we are talking about import version, which no one was doing.

this is great. I always associated grey market with non-authorized dealers thanks to Slickdeal... good to know that I can buy new Canon products from non-authorized dealers without worrying about warranty coverage. Thank you so much! I'll remember this next time I meet a Canon rep, too.