Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   ASUS VivoBook X200CA-DB01T 11.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop, From $182.09 @ Amazon Warehouse AWD (http://slickdeals.net/f/6864322-asus-vivobook-x200ca-db01t-11-6-inch-touchscreen-laptop-from-182-09-amazon-warehouse-awd)

NotTheBees 04-16-2014 02:56 PM

ASUS VivoBook X200CA-DB01T 11.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop, From $182.09 @ Amazon Warehouse AWD
 
2 Attachment(s)
Amazon Warehouse [amazon.com] has the ASUS VivoBook X200CA 11.6-Inch touchscreen laptop for $182.09 in very good condition or $186.00 in like-new condition.

Features include an Intel Celeron 1007U (1.5GHz), 2GB Memory and a 320GB hard drive. Beware that the 2GB of memory appears to be non-upgradeable from the references I could find. Otherwise specs seem decent enough for most moderate tasks. This seems like a decent price comparable to tablets and chromebooks in its spec range.

Newegg sells this new for $319.99. Link [newegg.com] provided for additional reference.


Edit: Link updated. Deal is available. Click the "used" link on the product page. Only "very good" condition available now and price has risen slightly to $183.16.

doggyworld 04-16-2014 02:59 PM

Really nice little laptop.. I replaced the hard drive in mine with an SSD and it works so much better than the old atom netbooks it replaced! :)

hightop32 04-16-2014 03:08 PM

ivy bridge cpu, c720 is haswell based

santookie 04-16-2014 03:10 PM

How is this compared to the quad core atoms? the baytrail like the Asus T100?

k1ngkev1n1 04-16-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 67476280)
ivy bridge cpu, c720 is haswell based

c720 is better?

hightop32 04-16-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 (Post 67476308)
c720 is better?

different machine, if you need/want windows get this.
would i trade my c720 for this? nope.

thestigolympia 04-16-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santookie (Post 67476300)
How is this compared to the quad core atoms? the baytrail like the Asus T100?

I'd like to know this aswell, is it a better buy than a T100?

dmitry 04-16-2014 03:20 PM

can someone confirm that RAM can't be upgraded, otherwise looks solid?

Intermission 04-16-2014 03:20 PM

Hmm touchscreen and full windows seem like a great deal

thestigolympia 04-16-2014 03:24 PM

http://laptopreviewers.com/asus-v...els-right/

talks about the RAM having to be solidered

dmitry 04-16-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestigolympia (Post 67476552)
http://laptopreviewers.com/asus-v...els-right/

talks about the RAM having to be solidered

arrghhh that's a bummer. 2gb is too low. 4 will be more suitable

thiennhu 04-16-2014 03:30 PM

Been reading reviews on this item, apparently 2gb memory is soldered in and cannot be change without a know how skill.

People reporting this thing is slow when using windows 8.1
Make sense since this is Windows OS so having a Celeron and 2gb of ram is a very low performance computer. Nevertheless, if you need a Windows OS and a touchscreen capability this is a hard price to beat.

I recently bought Acer C720 32gb & 16gb. The 2GB ram on the Acer C720 is blazing fast. Microsoft recently release Office for Chrome so I'm happy with my Chromebook.

santookie 04-16-2014 03:34 PM

I have the 3rd gen i3 version of this. The ram is definitely not upgradeable, even swapping out the hard drive is a bit tedious. It's very ultrabook like, metal body snapped together tiny screws.

thestigolympia 04-16-2014 03:36 PM

I ordered then canceled haha

Evzzz3 04-16-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thiennhu (Post 67476666)
Been reading reviews on this item, apparently 2gb memory is soldered in and cannot be change without a know how skill.

People reporting this thing is slow when using windows 8.1
Make sense since this is Windows OS so having a Celeron and 2gb of ram is a very low performance computer. Nevertheless, if you need a Windows OS and a touchscreen capability this is a hard price to beat.

I recently bought Acer C720 32gb & 16gb. The 2GB ram on the Acer C720 is blazing fast. Microsoft recently release Office for Chrome so I'm happy with my Chromebook.

I also bought the $149 refurb c720 a few weeks ago...just wondering how i can get microsoft office on it? Thank you!

yarnim 04-16-2014 04:18 PM

bad laptop

tolgac 04-16-2014 06:02 PM

Agreed... Bought and sold i3 version last spring..2gb ram on windows 8 is not performing..

thiennhu 04-16-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evzzz3 (Post 67477062)
I also bought the $149 refurb c720 a few weeks ago...just wondering how i can get microsoft office on it? Thank you!

Search for "Office Online" in chrome web store.

bob13bob 04-17-2014 12:07 AM

yup, no memory slot. memory chips are soldered on direcly. 2gb running modern windows is unusable experience. these are unfortunately worthless unless you can put some slim OS on.

srin80 04-17-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestigolympia (Post 67476796)
I ordered then canceled haha

did you get anything out of it?

dashbb 04-17-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evzzz3 (Post 67477062)
I also bought the $149 refurb c720 a few weeks ago...just wondering how i can get microsoft office on it? Thank you!

The best options for folks using Word, Excel & Powerpoint is using SkyDrive.

notsofun 04-17-2014 11:01 AM

Would be great for anyone who would like to have a platform that they could play around with something like Ubuntu on. It doesn't require the resources that Windows does. It has some decent "Office like" applications built in. The newest version (14.04) is quite beautiful too.

Great way to start learning Linux. It is the future after all. ;)

Lifecoach 04-17-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dashbb (Post 67492050)
The best options for folks using Word, Excel & Powerpoint is using SkyDrive.

agreed! I prefer Google Docs for most of the stuff that I work on (using Zoho Writer for most items) but when I share anything with someone who is not a Google fool like me I just upload it to my OneDrive and convert it to a word online format. Guess MS has pretty much realized they were going to lose the battle to Chromebooks and decided the best way to possibly beat em is join em.

antiretail 04-17-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestigolympia (Post 67476796)
I ordered then canceled haha

Cool Story Bro.

whenry83 04-17-2014 01:21 PM

2gb ram kills it, although adding an SSD would speed up the paging file significantly.

redeyedog 04-17-2014 01:21 PM

Yeah, "like new" and "used-very good" is quite a stretch. "like new" got me here. Gotta pass..

sd444 04-17-2014 01:27 PM

A couple dollars off what this netbook should cost new? FAIL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 67476340)
different machine, if you need/want windows get this.
would i trade my c720 for this? nope.

Overpaying from a Chromebook? :lol: No thanks. How those sell for more than $99 is amazing.

geocacher99 04-17-2014 01:33 PM

i would probably buy if i needed a laptop... i suspect these will be in near new condition

yes, 2gb ram definitely kills it... why would they do that?

burticus 04-17-2014 01:35 PM

Price and size are right... non upgradeable ram sucks. 2gb isn't going to cut it for me.

But if all you're going to do is surf the web, I guess it would be ok?

munkymonkjr 04-17-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsofun (Post 67492570)
Would be great for anyone who would like to have a platform that they could play around with something like Ubuntu on.

First of all, Ubuntu has really gone down hill since Unity, and Amazon, and that god awful Software Center. But back on topic, Linux support for this machine is very rudimentary at best. Not recommended. Which really sucks, because otherwise I'd buy it. As-is, it's a Windows 8 only device which is hopeless because W8 on 2GB of ram is going to be a bad time.

MeatCatalog 04-17-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkymonkjr (Post 67497210)
First of all, Ubuntu has really gone down hill since Unity, and Amazon, and that god awful Software Center. But back on topic, Linux support for this machine is very rudimentary at best. Not recommended. Which really sucks, because otherwise I'd buy it. As-is, it's a Windows 8 only device which is hopeless because W8 on 2GB of ram is going to be a bad time.

Windows 8 on 32GB is also a bad time.

munkymonkjr 04-17-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatCatalog (Post 67497496)
Windows 8 on 32GB is also a bad time.

Meh, I have 8.1 on my desktop (4670k, 8gb, 650ti, ssd) and it's a pretty ok time.

kschlege 04-17-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 67477556)
bad laptop

you're using the word laptop very loosely ... I'd call this a crappy tablet with a keyboard.

hightop32 04-17-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd444 (Post 67496606)
Overpaying from a Chromebook? :lol: No thanks. How those sell for more than $99 is amazing.

i guess youve never used one. well worth the asking price, and in case you care, i did pay $99 for it.

yarnim 04-17-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kschlege (Post 67500758)
you're using the word laptop very loosely ... I'd call this a crappy tablet with a keyboard.

repped for speaking truth.

mars_88888 04-17-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santookie (Post 67476750)
I have the 3rd gen i3 version of this. The ram is definitely not upgradeable, even swapping out the hard drive is a bit tedious. It's very ultrabook like, metal body snapped together tiny screws.


I remember the i3 version was available for $199 or $299 for a while at bestBuy

santookie 04-17-2014 05:00 PM

I think I got mines for $399 from staples when it first came out and windows 8 just released. It's been a work horse. Zero problems and right size. Screen angles aren't that great though fyi, it's a gloss screen.

zhopa 04-17-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whenry83 (Post 67496442)
2gb ram kills it, although adding an SSD would speed up the paging file significantly.

What do you run on it that you have to page?

bjsguess 04-17-2014 07:46 PM

I didn't have any issues running 8.1 with 2gb of RAM. Bay Trail Atom processor was more than enough to handle regular tasks. I was running Photoshop without a problem. For this price it's a heck of a deal.

whenry83 04-17-2014 07:52 PM

5 or 6 open tabs in Firefox will max out the 2GB RAM. Then the paging file gets utilized, which slows the computer to a crawl when the HD is 5400rpm.

SusanConners 04-17-2014 08:21 PM

I'm definitely in the market for something like this.

notsofun 04-18-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkymonkjr (Post 67497210)
First of all, Ubuntu has really gone down hill since Unity, and Amazon, and that god awful Software Center. But back on topic, Linux support for this machine is very rudimentary at best. Not recommended. Which really sucks, because otherwise I'd buy it. As-is, it's a Windows 8 only device which is hopeless because W8 on 2GB of ram is going to be a bad time.


Whats the last version of Ubuntu you've installed? Unity has come a long way from where it started. I'll give you that it sucked at first, but it's quite useable these days. Also Tahr (14.04) is touting heavy emphasis on improved touchscreen support.

Also with the release of Tahr the user will have to explicitly opt-in for the Amazon product suggestions. I'll give you credit, they did lose their way there briefly, but it's coming back around. Plus we're talking about the average computer user here on slickdeals buying this machine. Ubuntu is the least intimidating Linux based OS there is. It's pretty and if the Apple fans taught us anything, pretty appeals to basic users.

Also not sure where you come off saying Linux support is rudimentary at best for this. It's got a Celeron (which means Intel HD graphics chip), 2 gb of ram and a keyboard and mouse right? Should run just fine last time I checked. Maybe the touchscreen won't be perfect, but having a similar model I think I've used the touchscreen all of twice on it. It's just not convenient on something that doesn't fold flat.

munkymonkjr 04-18-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsofun (Post 67507292)
Whats the last version of Ubuntu you've installed?

13.10. Now granted 14.04 finally makes the move to Unity 8 (?) which was supposedly re-written with performance in mind. And Amazon wasn't actually that hard to disable even before. The Software Center still massively sucks though. Still, from my experience, same-hardware performance of Ubuntu (13.10) has been much slower than take your pick of any other distro. Eventually settled on Fedora 20 (w/Gnome 3) and it's still very easy to use, just as well documented as Ubuntu, and much faster than Ubuntu was. And this is on my parents' computers - so "your average PC user".


As for the rudimentary part, I goofed. I've been looking at a million laptops lately and my brain is mush. I think I must have confused this thing with the T100 when I wrote that.


And finally to wrap this sucker up - If your goal is to run linux (and most likely Ubuntu) on it anyway - for this kind of money you are much better off with a Acer C720 Chromebook. First of all, ChromeOS doesn't suck as a companion device. Second, it runs Ubuntu oh so fine and gets you up to 9 hours of battery (this thing gets 3). No touchscreen (unless you get the C720P) and less storage (16 or 32gb ssd, but user-replaceable) but you really shouldn't need much storage on a 2nd screen anyway.


Disclaimer: Have a Samsung S3 Chromebook (typing this on it now) - had it for about a year now. Had Ubuntu installed on it briefly. Went back and removed it (so ChromeOS only) a short time later but it worked just fine.

notsofun 04-18-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkymonkjr (Post 67512186)
13.10. Now granted 14.04 finally makes the move to Unity 8 (?) which was supposedly re-written with performance in mind. And Amazon wasn't actually that hard to disable even before. The Software Center still massively sucks though. Still, from my experience, same-hardware performance of Ubuntu (13.10) has been much slower than take your pick of any other distro. Eventually settled on Fedora 20 (w/Gnome 3) and it's still very easy to use, just as well documented as Ubuntu, and much faster than Ubuntu was. And this is on my parents' computers - so "your average PC user".


As for the rudimentary part, I goofed. I've been looking at a million laptops lately and my brain is mush. I think I must have confused this thing with the T100 when I wrote that.


And finally to wrap this sucker up - If your goal is to run linux (and most likely Ubuntu) on it anyway - for this kind of money you are much better off with a Acer C720 Chromebook. First of all, ChromeOS doesn't suck as a companion device. Second, it runs Ubuntu oh so fine and gets you up to 9 hours of battery (this thing gets 3). No touchscreen (unless you get the C720P) and less storage (16 or 32gb ssd, but user-replaceable) but you really shouldn't need much storage on a 2nd screen anyway.


Disclaimer: Have a Samsung S3 Chromebook (typing this on it now) - had it for about a year now. Had Ubuntu installed on it briefly. Went back and removed it (so ChromeOS only) a short time later but it worked just fine.

Definitely right about the Chromebook and software center. :)

ggnntim 04-18-2014 12:56 PM

These are expired??? WHY?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM.


1999-2014