View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 AM
beeeeeer
  • Oct 2005
  • San Diego, CA - Land of Beer
  • 2,531 mattman688 has a reputation beyond repute
here it goes....my 2006 Double Bastard from Stone Brewing Co. A special day at stone. Took about 45 minutes to get the growler filled. It was busy. Awesome night, my wife was enjoying herself because it felt like a party scene...I was in complete jealousy because alot of people owned the huge 3 liter growler as I previously posted, though still very satisfied with my cool lookin 2 liter growler...

Poured a perfect two finger head, dark ruby pour with a tan head. Carbonation is mild but felt perfect as i took each sip. Sticky lacing and a 1 finger head lasted till the end.
Aroma was a big bad smack of pine in my face. Very earthy, very awesome. Also had some nice malty aromas.
Taste was an orgasm in my mouth. Hop oil bitterness was definately strong, but also with the aged it balanced out and for how bitter it was it went down nicely. I handed my wife my pint glass and her face was priceless, as she threw her head back and her face twisted and she grunted saying, "this is disgusting!!" ... from that i knew it was going to be a great beer. I personally had more bittered beer, but this one was just balanced nicely...but the IBUs had to be huge. Back to taste, had a fruity sweet maltbase to it, but it also carried a dry backing. A little syrupy and semi sweet caramel tones behind the huge pine and citrus bitterness. Alcohol warmth was huge, but was very comforting...though this is a big beer being at 10% beer.
Overall, this is probably one of my favorite beers ever. Pliny has a complete different feel to it, and overall a better beer...but this beer brought more of the tones i really enjoy in a beer.
Overall, this is a beer i wished was year round. I know when Double Bastard is back on store shelves i am buying a case and drinking 1/2 of them, then I am aging them...because dear god this thing was amazing...
This is definately a sipping beer, very sad i only have 1/2 pint left in the growler. Its probably be flat now but i don't care...i am drinking it with dinner tonight. Had 3 pints friday night, 2 pints yesterday, and my bro in law had a little.

my review is as accurate as one can be for drinking plenty of beer the night beforeEmbarrassment

9.5/10 drool
lupulin theshold shift \ lu-pu-lin thesh-old shift \n 1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian. 2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in a beer. 3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur. 4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough.
Beer