View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Entrepierna del Fuego
  • Feb 2005
  • 1,530 120 Minute Man has a brilliant future
Sierra Nevada 12th Release Harvest Wet Hop Ale

Pour: Poured with a generous 2.5 finger head despite my best efforts to keep the head to a minimum. At least a finger is left after a couple minutes and a few drinks.

Color: A lovely dark amber color. Almost opaque. I can barley see my fingers wiggle on the other side of the glass and only when held up to light.

Smell: A decent amount of malt (makes since being a fall beer) with a little more hops than malt, but not an overpowering hop scent. Smells like a hoppy octoberfest almost. The hops are a lot more flowery than normal, if that makes since. A sweeter smell than normal.

Taste: Pretty decent, but not quite like any other beer I've ever had. The malts really come through more than expected for a "wet hop ale." The hops are there, but they are more in the scent than in the taste. It's a really good balance. Almost like a hop heads octoberfest. I actually think Mav would like this. The more I drink, the more I taste the malt. The hops are really understated in the taste.

Drinkability: Decent. I don't think I'd want more than one bottle of this. Given, the bottle is a full 24 oz.

Overall: Not quite what I expected, but I like it. I would drink this as an alternative to an octoberfest any day. I'm a little disappointed because I was wanting more hops, but since I can't fault them for that as I'm not familiar with the style, I am pleasantly surprised. I'd buy it again, but not this season. I'm glad I tried it.

7.5-8/10