View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
beeeeeer
  • Oct 2005
  • San Diego, CA - Land of Beer
  • 2,531 mattman688 has a reputation beyond repute
So i am drinking Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA... WHOA! Bigeye this sucker is complexed.. i am going to have fun drinking and trying to review...i will try to review, then update as this beer warms...

Pours a ruby red pour with some orange tints.. I nice thick and tight head. Head dies off rather quickly then leaves a thin trace of head with very tight and sticky lacing...

Aroma: This guy is sooooo different than any beer i have ever smelled/tasted... probably the sweetest scent i have had, I am picking up a cherry smell to it... some other fruits, maybe apricot? Also the alcohol is showing through, makes the scent linger in your nose if you try to get a good whiff. Light nuttiness and almost a brandy like aroma... i wish i could see the process of brewing/fermentation to see how they make this beer tick.

Taste- THICK and sweet. Kinda creamy... I would agree with others saying its almost syrupy. Tasting similar fruit tones on the back side of my tongue. I taste the hops but the sweetness really over powers the bitterness. I wish they had more bitterness that leave that stinging on your tongue. Alcohol is very present, very malty and a peppery aftertone. Pretty tasty, definately not a beer i would drink often, a bit too much for my likings. I can't wait to age my other one to see how it changes.

Carbonation is mediocre, surprisingly drinkable for the 21% abv thats loaded in this guy... though i doubt i could chug it because of the thick feeling in your mouth. alcohol is definately present at the end of each sip and is more present as this bugger is warming...

Overall, its tasty, but completely different to what i was expecting. Not bad, but not in my top beer of beers...

8.4/10

i am still amazed of the aroma, this guy overpowers your nose before you sip it...

Last edited by mattman688; 11-08-2008 at 09:51 PM..
lupulin theshold shift \ lu-pu-lin thesh-old shift \n 1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian. 2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in a beer. 3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur. 4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough.
Beer