View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM
L3: Novice
  • Jan 2007
  • 52 butalearner will become famous soon enough
Quote from Maschil View Post :
hey man do you have a link for that a8 one????? im new to amd (never had one) but im in the market for a good deal on a laptop.... thanks
Best Buy actually just took the laptop off their site in the last day or two, but here is the link to the SD's front page deal:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/63330/best-buy-hp-pavilion-dv66117dx-laptop-amd-quad-core-a83500m-2.4ghz-15.6-led-1366x768-4gb-ddr3-500gb-hdd-hd-6620g-wifin-6cell-battery-win-7-prem

Quote from joegrinde View Post :
Thanks for the info, will certainly seriuously consider quad-core AMDs now. When you say "AMD has a free tool" does that mean I need to DL this tool to make full use of the GPU?
No, the driver lets you make full use of it in a normal sense. The tool I'm talking about is AMD Avivo Video Converter, and I'm not sure but I believe the Catalyst Control Center includes it by default, and you can access it from the Basic interface.

However, while video encoding *should* happen on the GPU, those encoders have had some problems in the past. If you search for AMD Avivo you'll find a ton of forum posts from 2-3 years ago saying how awful it is. I'm not sure if that situation has improved.