View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 PM
L3: Novice
  • Jul 2005
  • 252 laier19usa is a jewel in the rough
Funny you should mention that. I said the same thing to my wife after we sold our home on our own through a flat fee listing service. However, it probably wouldn't be worth it for me because their average annual salary is quite low. Yes, I know that sounds counterintuitive to what I've been saying this whole thread, but it really isn't when you think about it. I think the reason their median salaries are so low is because there is such a low barrier of entry into the profession which results in a whole lot of realtors for a limited number of homes. I still stand by my original statement though that they are overpaid. When you look at the actual work involved and the actual hours worked to buy/sell a home, then I just can't see how anyone would think they're underpaid. Just because there aren't enough homes and buyers to go around for every realtor to make over $100k/yr doesn't mean they are underpaid.

Quote from Wasser View Post :
Perhaps time to quit your IT job and get in on the easy door opener game? Wink

There will be a huge variance in required time that a buyers agent spends to call other agents, verify stuff, call you, drive around to open up houses, prepares offers, picks up paperwork, makes sure all the t's are crossed and so on.

I bought an investment property last year, and the buyers agent was also the sellers agent. She showed me one house, it was nice, put in offer, got it. Was she grossly overpaid? In that instance, yes.

This year I am looking into buying a house as a primary residence. My buying agent has been working with me for probably, well, 3 months. Contacting selling agents, showing houses, preparing offers, etc etc. All without a single cent compensation, and perhaps, it will stay like that if nothing suitable pops up. Grossly underpaid? Sure.