View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Researcher
  • Jul 2007
  • 2,910 Mr. Harley has a reputation beyond repute
Quote from gigaboom View Post :
Sorta.

Neuromancer was Gibson's first novel, but the first "sprawl" stories, the ones reprinted in the collection Burning Chrome, came out earlier, the story Burning Chrome in 1982 and Johnny Mnemonic in 1981... Gibson acknowledges being inspired by Escape from New York (1981, notable for, among other things [well, Adrienne Barbeau, at least] using physical wire-frame models to simulate a computer simulation, the budget not allowing for a "real" computer "wire-frame" model... an interesting recursion, simulating simulation), so some of the themes were already floating around, Gibson's work being part of that mix, before Blade Runner was released.

The big missing element before Neuromancer was the concept of "cyberspace", but Blade Runner didn't touch on that.

I ran a "Computer Bulletin Board System" (BBS) in the '80s called The Gentleman Loser, from a 6-foot-long desk with four computers on it... all 8088 machines, and one 1,200 BPS modem. And... you feel old? Wink
I'll spot you your 8088 - and add in my 8 inch floppy I keep telling my daughter I'm going to turn into a wall clock using one of those inexpensive battery operated works available for crafts, woodworking, etc. Her friends have asked me when they see it - "What's that?" shake head
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry. I wish it were otherwise.

Facts burns! Facts burns us! Numbers freezes! Nasty liberals twisted it. Take it off us! - deliberate misquote while arguing factoids about healthcare cost inflation.
You may be born stupid, but ignorance is a choice - personal observation.
Who need drugs when you can have fatigue toxins and caffeine. - Keith D., law enforcement