View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 01:00 AM
mmmm Bengal Guinness
  • Aug 2004
  • 1,346 rybal has much to be proud of
Review of Dogfish Head Worldwide Stout:

Ok, it may be pretty obvious, but this is a heavy beer. The color is very dark, almost black. It doesn't have much of a head after a couple minutes of being in the glass. The aroma reminds me a bit of DFH's Raison D'Etre's with the dark fruitiness - otherwise I definitely smell chocolate malt and alcohol. The first taste confirms that it is a stout beer, but hot damn does it have a burn like no other stout I've ever had - yes you can definitely tell it is 18%. All in all, it's quite well balanced for having so much alcohol in it - the taste is slightly chocolatey and the only fruit I think I can make out is raisin. It's sweet and syrupy, almost like a slightly carbonated Makers Mark in mouthfeel. This is the only stout I like better than Guinness Extra or Young's Double Chocolate, though having more than one or two of these puppies would not be a recommended practice. Also, if you are going to have other beers/drinks/food/etc. in the same night, have it before you drink this, as your tastebuds are jacked up for quite some time - anything you have afterwards will taste like water & bread.

I have saved one bottle of this to drink a couple years from now to see how it ages (alongside a 120 & D'extra). I can hardly imagine it could get much better, but these high abv brews seem to do just that.

9/10 - I had high expectations and DFH delivered. This brew has jumped into my top 5.
Malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.