View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM
L6: Expert
  • Aug 2007
  • 442 intence01 is just really nice
So right now the 5D3 is priced comparably to the D800, with the D800 still appearing to be more appealing for those that aren't "locked" into a brand (if you're looking at 5D3s and D800s, you're likely locked into Canon or Nikon i'm betting).

I still think it might break $2500 as a DoD, but not sure if it will happen before xmas. Canon just had miserable numbers, so I imagine they'd want better numbers moving forward. Since they've likely sold as many as they could at $3500, i'd guess they'll keep dropping the price to keep sales up.

Although their behavior is frustrating (releasing a $3500 body, then dropping the price significantly several months later, discontinuing 24-70mm and replacing it with a far more expensive 24-70mm II only to have a rumored 24-70mm IS seem likely, at which point the 24-70mm II may drop in price). I'm thinking of switching sides not because of picture quality, but more because of Canon's marketing/pricing tactics. Price the product competitively upon release and it will sell well without much fluctuation. D800 is a great example of this, as I don't believe we've seen ANY deals since it's original release.