View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
L10: Grand Master
  • Jun 2008
  • 2,136 Nate650 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote from las2ams View Post :
I'm not arguing or agreeing that you could feed 12-14 people for $20, I'm arguing/agreeing that you could replicate the meal Costco's selling for about $20 (slightly more if you live in a pricier market). Whole turkeys are selling for .77/lb at Walmart; Stove Top stuffing, Heinz gravy and Oceanspray Cranberry Sauce are selling for 25c-50c (after coupons) in grocery stores like Kroger; Sufferer's Family Size Holiday sides are selling for $2.50-$3.50 after coupon (or skimp and buy instant potatoes for $1 or less); and sweet potatoes will drop to less than 50c/lb. Just add your favorite pre-made dessert for $3-$4.

Is this the most tasty Thanksgiving dinner? No. Is it the healthiest? No. But is it good? Yes, and the quality/taste will be on-par with that of Costco's meal. You're certainly not getting gourmet food, let alone a $100 turkey, from Costco.

Is the Costco deal a good deal? If you're willing to cook your food, no. But if your family stresses out, then absolutely.
I'm fairly confident the Costco dinner is of higher quality than Stove Top, Heinz gravy, Stouffer's etc., so comparing only the price isn't an accurate comparison.

Quote from freelance View Post :
Yes, you can. I have done it on a yearly basis. You don't even have to cook some of this stuff or settle for their choice of dessert.

20lb turkey from Safeway = $5 to $7
2lb bags of Frozen beans = $2 - $3
2 boxes of Stuffing i = $2
3lbs Sweet potatoes = $2 (they sell for roughly 0.50lb)
5 lb bag of potatoes = $1.50 (most of our supermarkets)
2 cans of cranberry sauce = $2
2 jars of turkey gravy = $2 to $3 (unless you make your own, then minus this number)
Apple Cobbler in Freezer section = $3

On the low end, $19.50

Now if you don't know how to cook (or how easy it is to make this stuff) then buying already made and paying premium price for such inexpensive ingredients may be the only option for some people.

On a personal note: One year we decided to get the full package from Safeway and save time. After following all the instructions to make everything hot and ready to serve, we had spent a lot of time in the kitchen. To make matters worse, everyone complained about what an awful meal that was (tasteless) - All our guest agreed we should never do that again. It truly was awful.

Maybe Costco's is more flavorful, but that is a lot of money to find out.
Using a box of Stove Top stuffing is hardly "cooking." Such products aren't real food. Example (Stove Top stuffing, "Traditional Sage"):

Ingredients: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, ONIONS*, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, COOKED CHICKEN AND CHICKEN BROTH, CARROTS*, YEAST, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, CELERY*, SPICE, PARSLEY*, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, YEAST EXTRACT, SUGAR, TURMERIC, CHICKEN FAT, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, WITH BHA, BHT, PROPYL GALLATE, AND CITRIC ACID AS PRESERVATIVES. *DRIED. CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.

I don't think a home cooked Thanksgiving meal should contain crap like trans fat and high fructose corn syrup.

Last edited by Nate650; 11-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost