View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM
L6: Expert
  • Oct 2010
  • 306 junhao123 is a jewel in the rough
Quote from bryantq View Post :
You should ask your fellow shoppers why lol, right now it's 100% based on what other people are viewing.

This beta test will give us a chance to adjust it to make it more relevant. Thanks for participating!
Maybe consider tweaking the algorithm a little. Like using similar tags or additional weight for "I bought this" or thread activity, or something like that. I don't think views will be enough to make them relevant (I'm just speculating though).

Some things I think should be considered.
The "helpful" rating could make reps more of a commodity, so consideration should be given to the impact on "rep value".

Also, "this is helpful by x/x" doesn't make sense, because you decrement the amount. You could get -10/10 people rate this helpful (obviously you can't have -10 people saying this isn't helpful). I think a simple "point rating" would make more sense. Or adjust so it doesn't use decrements (personally I think using a "point rating" makes more sense).

Sidenote:
I really think reddit has the best reputation system I've seen anywhere for a social content sharing site, and that SD should take some of the lessons learned there and apply them here.
Their methods of preventing abuse and creating a nearly democratic system of moderation for what are almost anonymous users, and the community it has built, would greatly benefit this site (IMO).

Last edited by junhao123; 11-14-2012 at 12:55 PM..