View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM
L2: Beginner
  • Jan 2011
  • 20 ejt009 is finding his bearings
Quote from dealstack View Post :
what exactly is this for? I mean, what would my alternative be? Build a local one and maintain it. Or is this local? is this a service? I need an excuse to buy this for my future business?:-)
I use mine to host a few websites. It's basically having a remote linux server with root access. The benefits to me is the customizability that general web hosting sites don't have. The bad (or good) part is that you have to be your own sysadmin so you kind of have to know what your doing as far as server setup/maintenance.

I highly suggest anyone using a budget (or any) VPS to make sure you do your own backups of anything important. I consider urlhasbeenblocked one of the good providers, but they recently lost ALL my data due to some type of hacking incident on their nodes. I fortunately do nightly backups to my home machine so only had to suffer a couple days downtime. They claim to be backing up everything now so a similar disaster doesn't happen again and I believe them, but these budget VPS providers all have a bad reputation as far as I'm concerned.