View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 PM
R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Dec 2003
  • 679 woodbutcher is a splendid one to behold
Quote from lethalsvt View Post :
I have a year old Panny Plasma 1080p TV and a XBox 360 and PS3. Will I see a difference in these compared to the $1 ones?
Maybe, maybe not. Seem to be a lot of reviews from Newegg on this cable where people have problems like this;

"Pros: Good. Cheap. Works.

Cons: Could be my system, but when hooking up to my DVI adapter for my monitor, the screen blacks out from time to time. A little annoying, but for the cheap price, I can't complain too much."

Or this;

"Pros: I would say the price but you get what you pay for *see cons*

Cons: Well as soon as I tried to plug it into my video card the gold piece broke and was pushed back into the shielding. For what I paid for I wasn't expecting much out of it but for it to just break sliding it into a HDMI port was bad.

Other Thoughts: Do yourself a favor and get a more expensive brand so you don't have to deal with the headache that comes with this one."

Monoprice cables are not expensive and they work with out issue, period.

Quote from McNutsack View Post :
Would this be a better purchase than the one you linked to? It's on sale today at Monoprice:
Smaller 28AWG gauge wire but should be fine. Also noticed that the one you linked to is 6' long. Its always a good idea to go with the length you need. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people with extra length of wire in a big mess behind their equipment. Buy what you need and organize it. Use wire ties or better use Velcro Reusable Ties [].

Quote from steveliv View Post :
these are the same cables that newegg sells. they support 3D and ARC. I've used them with no issues.
You might want to read the reviews on Newegg as a lot of people complain they will NOT work with 3D.

In short, why would you spend $1 for a cable that connects 2 $$$$$ of equipment together? Buy something decent, put it together and be done with it.

Quote from wptest View Post :
I'd suggest that we start adding the gauge of HDMI cables to SD listings?

I just bought a set of low cost cables for a new switcher only to find out that they were too thin to work with the switcher. I had to repurchase heavier duty HDMI cables to make it work.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Wasted time and aggravation.

Take a look at the longer HDMI cables at Monoprice. The 25' long cables are 22 or 24 AWG wire. I bought 1 of the 25' cables from Meritline for $4.99 and did a Mono to Merit comparison. The Merit cable kept losing and reacquiring the signal. The Mono cable worked without 1 problem, still does as I'm still using it. I threw the Meritline cable in the garbage. Not even worth the time to cut it down to a smaller length for a future project.

Last edited by woodbutcher; 11-26-2012 at 02:31 PM..