sorry if this is a little off-topic:
anyone have recommendations for 4-bay NAS?
I picked up the DS-411+ a few years back and loaded it with 4x 1TB WD Black drives. It was expensive, but the ease of use, GUI, and performance are all well worth it. Things is absolutely amazing and I use it for:
- VPN server when I'm away in countries in the middle east and asia
- Streaming movies via UPNP/DLNA to my Partriot BoxOffice in my house
- Storing all my data, with personal data in an encrypted partition
- Hosting websites
- FTP server for sharing files
- Remote backup when I'm away from home
- Printer sharing via its USB port
- Download station to re-direct d/l links to it and have it automatically d/l them
Overall, it was a much better fit for me to have this NAS and drop $1000 (HDs are pricey) on it than get a desktop computer to perform these functions.