View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Don't modalert me
  • May 2007
This post can and should be edited by users like you :)
ATTENTION

For people worried about quality, Seiko makes some of the best movements available in the sub $1000 category. The also make some astonishingly expensive watches such as the Spring Drive Spacewalk at $28,000. They produce most of their movements in-house (which is more than can be said for some brand names like Movado, Bell and Ross, etc where you are paying a fortune for them to build a small case). It may not be Swiss but Seiko makes fantastic, high quality watches for the budget conscious. It's not a Patek Phillipe, but if you don't have a spare $100,000 to blow, this is the way to go for a good everyday watch.

As far as losing time, with a good quality quartz movement, that should not be a problem. You will have to worry about battery changes, but a Seiko 5 is a mechanical watch with all the inherent problems that come with that. A good mechanical watch can typically be made no more accurate than 2-3 seconds per day. Your typical inexpensive quartz is usually good to 0.5 seconds per day or better. So for the poster saying his Seiko 5 lost time, any mechanical watch without a costly tourbillion would possibly lose time (depending on conditions) despite spending $10,000 on it.

So bottom line, if you are looking in this price range, you are getting an excellent watch with a high quality quartz movement that with care should last a loooooooong time. I know people with Seikos well into 20+ years with a new battery every 3-5 years. If you are looking for a watch connoisseur's watch...well I don't know what you are doing on slickdeals. I'm personally interested in watches but can't imagine affording the ultra high end watches and enjoy a couple of excellent Seiko's that have been serving me very well.

This watch also has a sapphire crystal which is usually not found in watches this inexpensive. It should be very scratch resistant with daily use.

Last edited by intoran; 12-30-2012 at 04:45 AM..