View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
L3: Novice
  • Aug 2011
Quote from Masejoer View Post :
Again with the misinformation. While I don't think this will work with any system with real power (it's rated at 4A at 12V), a 65W CPU does NOT consume 65W of power. My new i3 3225 system consumes 38W under load (Prime95 and Furmark) and only 12W at idle, tested on a bench power supply feeding the power to the DC-DC psu. To the system, this is 36W or less, or 3A if it were all on the 12v rail. That is with 8GB of RAM, one SSD, and one heatsink fan. Adding an Asus soundcard boosted both idle and load by another 13W.

If one were to cap a sandy/ivy bridge i3 at 2Ghz, and possibly undervolt, the psu may work, but it's pushing the limits. I wouldn't trust its stability on this 80W psu after the psu degrades a bit with age after a year.

You don't need the last 4 pins very often. On ITX boards, I've never had an issue with a 20-pin ATX connector on any decent power supply. I've had some power supplies just fail to work on certain boards though, even if the psu checked out with an oscilloscope. Some PSUs expect a certain load on certain pins and if it isn't there, they will shutdown after a second or so.

you forgot the GPU part which often takes 15-20W at max. All modern CPU should be called APU or so since it has both CPU+GPU now. To test the power draw part for GPU , one should use some program like bitcoin miner where it utilizes upto 95% GPU instead of games, movies ; use GPU-Z to see the %.