View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
L2: Beginner
  • Sep 2012
  • 10 metrician is finding his bearings
Quote from stevenq View Post :
After reading some review it appears the IOPS (whatever that is) is laughably slow on this SSD (2,000 as opposed to 25,000 for Extreme) and this price is pretty close to regular every day price. I got the impression though, that it performs slower because Sandisk was trying to lower the energy consumption and perhaps heat generation? Maybe they were targeting the laptop market?

I was gonna get the Crucial 128GB SSD here which has very fast IOPS (35k): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...=240501577
but there's such a huge difference between 128GB and 256GB and so many people on that thread complaining about performance issues until they downloaded the latest firmware update and even then, ppl complain about their drives just dying. I'd rather have a slower drive that is more reliable than a screamer that has problems.
First, I can assure you the Extremes hardly produce any heat. You wouldn't even say it's warm after a month of uptime and average daily use. Second, the M4 is one of the most reliable drives around. I've got those too and while they're not as fast as the SanDisk Extreme, they are an excellent choice for a non-SandForce drive if you're on the latest firmware.