View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 AM
L2: Beginner
  • Jun 2012
  • 78 magesu will become famous soon enough
Well, I was initially excited when I got the Staples email announcing this deal....an Asus core i3 touchscreen laptop for only $399....however, there are some points you may want to consider:

The screen size is 11.9 inches and the laptop weighs only 2.9 lbs so this is really great for those of you who travel often but don't want to settle for the more limited functionality of a tablet (as mentioned earlier).

Windows 8 was designed to be used primarily with touch in mind. Still there is a bit of a learning curve if you've never used Win 8 before

Details on the processor can be found here [notebookcheck.net] - but to summarize, it should perform close to a 2nd generation core i5 2467M processor. It is a dual core processor with each core clocked at 1.8 Ghz. It also has hyperthreading enabled so it can handle upto 4 threads.

The processor is a 17W ULV processor which helps prolong your battery life.

Given the more efficient usage of system resources by Windows 8, you most probably wont notice the impact of the lower 1.8 Ghz clock speeds unless you try to use this for very intensive computational work. For most common applications the specs on this guy are plenty good.

Now here's the not so obvious stuff that you have to go through the faq's on the staples site to find out:

The battery is not replaceable. So eventually when the laptop battery begins to die, you're stuck with whatever you get.

The RAM is not upgradeable so you are limited to the 4GB that comes with the system.

However, at this price point, you will be hard pressed to find a similar touch screen laptop anywhere else. If you really need a portable TS laptop, this is a good buy. However, I do anticipate more deals to come about as TS becomes more and more commonplace but it might still take ~ 4-8 months or so for a similar or better deal.

Last edited by magesu; 01-25-2013 at 01:56 AM..