View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
L3: Novice
  • Jun 2009
  • 80 leoniv will become famous soon enough
Quote from Mr.Le View Post :
how many actual hours are people getting on these. i would like feedback from actual owners out there
I use this exact laptop for work. Typically during the day I can make it ~3-4hrs before needing a plug. Standby/Sleep battery life is downright horrible b/c of the Cypress touchpad it uses. There's a known issue with the Cypress driver not allowing the laptop to sleep. Sleep time for me is around 2 days then the battery is dead. Dell/Cypress have been trying for about a year to get the drivers right. I haven't tried the latest driver yet so maybe that fixes it, but the issues are numerous and can be crippling. I don't carry a mouse to meetings and the touchpad will just die. It only comes back after a reboot.

Also, the fan runs constantly and the laptop overall runs pretty hot. Upgrading it seems unlikely as you would have to crack the case to even attempt it. The silver tab on the bottom is only for looks, it's not a functional door into the memory/SSD area. The screen is very glossy, even in an office setting so it's a bit annoying. It's pretty fast overall so running everyday tasks or even heavier programs like Visual Studio are near instant. Quality is top notch, shocking for a Dell lappy. All that said, if the latest Cypress driver works I would recommend the laptop if you're in the market for an ultrabook and are okay with the sacrifices that entails (ie, lack of ports/upgradeability mentioned in this thread). Hope this helps.