View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
L2: Beginner
  • Nov 2012
  • 22 Epoch0 is finding his bearings
Quote from jpalmerlee View Post :
I bought a similar model, the 580, and I bought a new SSD... I had so many problems trying to get the OS over I just ended up using a different Windows 7 key. I'd advise against it if you want to use the OS that comes with it.
Quote from jpalmerlee View Post :
UEFI Frown. Basically did not like it at all, and the OS is some "OEM Version" that can't be activated on anything else. They include NO installation CD or material, so basically you can only restore from Windows 8 itself.

OEM Windows 8 is worse than Windows ME! IEEK! I cant believe I said that.
Quote from dubleo View Post :
Can't you use an Acronis imaging program or something similar and clone the HDD and restore it onto the SSD ( and then do the SSD optimizations)?
Quote from mxhoang View Post :
What issues did you have in migrating the OS? Serial keys?
For anyone considering buying a Lenovo Windows 8 laptop, then replacing the HDD with an SSD and wanting to move Windows 8 over, I recommend you read this thread here [eightforums.com] to do it. That is the "official" solution that we found when I made a thread here [eightforums.com] and realized that there didn't exist a solution for my problem yet. That was due to the newness of Windows 8 though. However, it's still a pain to deal with, and the problem stems from Microsoft not giving us the installation discs.