View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
L8: Grand Teacher
  • Jun 2005
  • 1,347 Wildpir8 has much to be proud of
Quote from wind&salsa View Post :
I want to help a friend improve her existing wifi range, where she has cable modem to a modem in a small cottage office 6-10 ft away from main house. There's a dedicated extender/repeater in the house's hallway near a room facing the cottage. That room has the best coverage of the main house. However, the rest of the house has wireless (dis)connection issues from various devices. I am aware of various factors that can affect wifi coverage. The cottage is a home office, and would want internet line to remain there. But, I have not yet done any visual evaluation.

Is there a good chance that plugging the extender onto such a powerline would significantly improve the range? Thanks
Here's how I've set up my parents who are in a similar situation:

-DSL modem and router are in a detached garage/office several feet from the house. A powerline adapter is connected to the router there.

-A second wireless router in the house is connected to a second powerline adapter in the house. DHCP and SPI firewall on this router are disabled and wireless is enabled. The IP address of the router in the garage/office is set as the gateway and DNS server. The internet comes through at full speed and wireless coverage is great throughout the house.