View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 PM
L9: Master
  • Oct 2010
  • 1,253 Medic311 has much to be proud of
Quote from soundmaster31 View Post :
I'll vouch for the pry bars as well. I use them to lift heavy aluminum molds for polypropylene foam containers at work and these hold up quite well in every manner. The steel is good quality and well heat treated. The finish doesn't flake off like painted Harbor Freight models(we have a few different ones - some are painted, some have phosphate finish - also have Tekton/Michigan Industrial Tools pry bars --->>>CRAP CRAP CRAP). The handles have superior durability. Some people have used them as a chisel in a pinch or struck the end of the handle with a hammer and they've survived that fairly well. The Harbor freight ones? The handle just shatters or the metal shaft gets driven deeper into the handle. Not their intended purpose, we know. They flex very little when lifting heavier loads(as long as you're using the thickest shaft diameter possible).

We've even accidentally done a torture test on a Craftsman pry bar that got left inside a mold and ran a few hundred cycles in the molding press that uses steam running around 300F by the time it hits the mold. Came out a little rusty(use steam to heat and mold the foam bead / water to cool them down) and the plastic handle was discolored to say the least but it was still functional. Was it 100% functional? I wouldn't use it for the heaviest loads anymore. That many heat cycles can really start affecting the metal's quality.

now THAT is impressive - just goes to show how robust these pry bars are...they survived hundreds of cycles during a plastic molding process. unreal.

go Craftsman!

now only if we can get them to in-source their Metric wrench sets again...ugh. during the Craftsman Club week i went to buy 2 x 26pc Combination Wrench set in Standard and Metric. the Standard one is made in the USA and the Metric one is made in China. the ironic thing is - the Chinese made set had a better quality polish but i didn't care. i refuse to have Chinese made wrenches in my tool box. not happening if i can help it. so i returned the Metric set and i found the identical USA-made set on eBay (Craftsman made the switch very recently...i believe mid-2012)

Last edited by Medic311; 02-14-2013 at 09:20 PM..