View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Lookin' for higher ground
  • Sep 2008
  • Somewhere in, CA
  • 571 soarwitheagles is a name known to all
Quote from phdeez View Post :
Based on feedback in the Costco thread regarding the drive (if you buy it in store) if it has a sticker that says "Windows 7/Mac OSX" then it likely has a 7200 rpm Barracuda XT drive in the enclosure, however if it says "Windows 8/Mac OSX" it is likely a 5900 rpm version "green" version. I picked one up and:
  • don't like the enclosure "case" - as others have mentioned no breathing room and my 7200 drive hit over 60C in it
  • don't like the dock as when my system booted with the drive connected it wasn't recognized... had to power cycle the dock for it to show up in windows7. Also if I left the drive connected in this state it would run and get hot even with no data transferring
  • this seems to be a dock problem since I have another usb3 external drive that this doesn't happen on (500gb Toshiba Canvio).

Anyways, after doing a few transfer tests and making sure the drive worked ok, I pulled it out and placed it in my htpc/gaming pc... After putting it in my htpc, it runs nice and cool ~40C even during large transfers.
Phdeez,

Wow! Excellent info in your post. It almost seems that this drive would work better as an internal drive rather than an external, and that is exactly what I needed to know.

I already have more than enough external drives and I also have some enclosures that have power fans and keep the installed exterior HD cool as a cucumber.

Thanks times a million. Your post was incredibly helpful!

Repped!

Soar