View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 AM
L8: Grand Teacher
  • Sep 2008
  • 515 jbonez21 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote from smsmcfarland View Post :
Hi guys, I've been a member on slick deals for awhile, but haven't really been apart of the community. I'd like to participate more often and offer advice I have as well but I'd like to get some opinions on how to upgrade my current build.

Right now I have:

CPU: unlocked dual core Phenom II X4 B55 (3.2ghz) not overclocked
(I can't seem to overclock at all due to the unlock, the unlocked cores might be faulty I'm not sure, but would it be better to just keep it a dual core and overclock for gaming and document work?)

MOBO: m4A88t-EVO/USB3

MEMORY: Wintec 8gb (4 x 2gb) dram freq is 669mhz? not really sure what I should be looking at

HDD: 500gb hitachi 5400 rpm i think.

CARD: Radeon HD 5770 (this is really what I need to upgrade)

PSU: 550w ocz stealth

Basically, I want to bring my build a little current, or would you guys recommend going the intel route? I see deals all the time for new cards, but I never know whats a worthwhile upgrade. I guess I could use an SSD. Thanks for any suggestions!

-EDIT- I'd like to make my computer pretty quiet as well, right now it like to moan
I agree with the above posters questions. We need that info first.

I think you have two options, upgrade the video card for $200-$300 now and have a mid range pc for the next couple of years. Or you could sell the entire PC and build a new one that will last 5-10 years, but really it depends on your budget.