View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM
L3: Novice
  • Sep 2012
  • 14 whozee is finding his bearings
Quote from Axehandle View Post :
For the price, this is actually a great WiFi-N camera. I have two, and they work seamlessly with a Synology NAS and the MiCasaVerde Vera Lite. The Android app works well, and is easy to use, but requires that the camera be associated with a MyDLink account. The advantage to this is that you don't have to wrangle firewall settings in order to hit your camera directly.

I particularly like the motion detector, which is very configurable and works well.

Negatives & tips:
* Low-light performance is very poor. That's OK for my applications. Note that a single table lamp is not sufficient for a decent picture at night. However, a night-vision version is 2.5-3x higher in price.
* Setup smartly: Use the latest setup wizard [mydlink.com], not the one that came with your camera.
* Update the firmware: Plug the camera in with Ethernet, and make sure to update the firmware to the latest version (1.08 as of this writing [cloudfront.net]). You can do this via the camera's own web interface.

Once I had done this, setup was smooth and without trouble. My father had some trouble, but they were largely tied to his computer's misconfigured firewall & port settings preventing the setup wizard from accessing the camera.
Repped for the nice mini-review and helpful tips.

Question, is there a way to automate or schedule when this turns on and off? For example weekdays turn on while we're at work between 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM and turn off while we're at home?