View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 AM
L6: Expert
  • Sep 2005
  • Charlotte, NC
  • 345 spidrw is a jewel in the rough
Quote from techbuzz View Post :
I've never had much luck with these very large, nylon tents (by any manufacturer), especially in any quasi-harsh environments - rain/wind/dust. Some issue / nagging little problem always seems to creep up and they just don't hold up well. That said, I do think there are many quality, lightweight tents in the 4 person and under size.

My go to recommendation for a large, quality car camping tent (definitely not packing in/out) are springbar tents, especially Kodiak Canvas Tents [competitiveedgeproducts.com]. I can put up the 10x10 version by myself in about 10 minutes.

If you have a bigger budget and are looking for a tent that will last decades, check them out. I have friends that have taken their canvas tents to the harsh environment of Burning Man for 10+ years and have never had an issue. I've taken mine the last two and love it.
Those are really nice tents. They're also $500. I'm sure the quality shows that it's worth it, but anyone who is interested in this tent is absolutely not interested in spending $500 on one of the Kodaik ones. Conversely, anyone who is willing to spend $500 on one of those already knows why they wouldn't buy a $90 Coleman.
Quote from xxxxx :
What is FTMFW? Is this a promotional code?