View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 AM
L5: Journeyman
  • Jun 2007
  • 143 craziplaya21 will become famous soon enough
Quote from EvilBastard View Post :
I can't really say this is much of a deal, considering the company involved, Network Solutions. I ordered a domain through them awhile back and it ended up to be such a hassle.

Here's what happened. I firmly believe I didn't set up the domain for auto renewal when I created it. Still, I found out later that auto renewal had nevertheless been turned on. And once it had been turned on, there was no way to turn that off via account management. As instructed on the site, the only way to turn auto-renewal off was to call them. So, I had to do that.

Once the site came within a few months of it's renewal date, I got inundated with emails, perhaps a few a week, all "warning" about the pending expiration. I changed my email preferences to opt out of their emails, but that didn't stop it. I changed the email assigned to my account and my domain--that didn't do it. Yes, I did email them about it, but that didn't help either. I even started to get phone calls from them.

A few tips if you buy from them: 1, if you can, use a dummy phone number--I know that might be difficult; 2, use paypal if you can and then in your paypal account make sure you turn off any access network solution's might create to your account; 3, use a secondary or disposable email address if possible.

I guess I did not mention above that one of the things they did when I did use paypal is set things up so they could deduct any future fees directly from my account without my having to authorize them. This was perhaps renewal-related only, triggered of course by the auto-renewal setting. But still, it was unwelcome.
I just signed up for a domain. Auto-renewel can be turned off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NS.jpg (45.2 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by craziplaya21; 04-21-2013 at 04:26 AM..
i7 3770k @ 4.5 GHz with TRUE Black Rev. C. 1600rpm S-Flex Push/Pull
Corsair XMS3 16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
EVGA GTX 780, GTX 570 (Physx)
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W
Lian Li PCA-70F
HP ZR24W 24" S-IPS 1920x1200
256 Samsung 830 SSD
120GB G.Skill Phoenix Pro SSD
128GB Crucial M4 SSD