View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM
L6: Expert
  • Sep 2008
  • 610 FatSmurf is a name known to all
Quote from goibhniu View Post :
No, you're confusing hybrid drives with Expresscache. A hybrid drive (also called a Solid State Hybrid Drive or SSHD) is a typical spinning disk hard drive with around 8GB of SSD-type flash memory as cache. It does a decent job of accelerating disk performance, but the cache is built as the drive is used, and so it doesn't typically help things like boot times, though it can improve disk performance in general.

Expresscache is a small SSD (usually 24-32GB) that is used in conjunction with a typical spinning hard disk. Instead of being built into the hard disk and relying on the drive controller and logic for performance and caching, the Expresscache system is a feature built into the Intel core logic chipset. In theory, they should be similar to SSHDs. In practice, they tend to be quite a bit faster, even improving boot times. I don't know if it is due to the larger capacity, the fact that it is implemented on a separate interface, or some other architectural feature, but Expresscache provides a very noticeable difference in performance, while SSHDs not so much.

One thing that I will say about Expresscache, while it is USUALLY implemented via an mSATA SSD drive plugged into the laptop, AFAIK there is nothing that requires it to be an mSATA SSD. I believe that it could just as easily be implemented with flash storage soldered onto the mainboard, so if you're interested in getting a laptop with Expressccache and then swapping out the mSATA SSD for a larger mSATA drive, be sure to verify that is how your laptop is configured.
Thanks for your correction. I didn't realize this was an Expresscache drive. Thought it was a hybrid SSD.