View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 PM
L2: Beginner
  • Aug 2011
  • 37 pzero is finding his bearings
Quote from spectheintro View Post :
Agreed. The point of LED TVs is to reduce heat and power consumption, and by extension size and weight. What's with manufacturers making them fatter than freaking plasmas?
I spoke with a television engineer at one point, and she told me that it was basically a trade-off between image quality and thickness, due to backlight technology and the ever-increasing demand for microscopic bezels and televisions that are easily wall-mountable. She told me that in surveys, people say they care about features most, then image quality, then reliability, then looks, but when they build things based on that data, people basically reverse the order, and just complain how they look. She also told me that she worked on LED designs, but believed that LED wasn't a real improvement over conventional LCD unless a full array backlight with full dimming control was utilized, and that LED was a waste otherwise. She worked for a "reputable brand" in the global LED market.

Just some thoughts from an "expert" that I thought might be relevant to this deal (although this argument is rehashed in every TV thread that is posted).

05-09-2013, 10:50 PM

Guests, join the SlickDeals.net Community for free to remove this ad.