@mky You seem to know a lot about how these rebates work. What exactly happens once we get the products? Activating the software requires the credit card, right, and In that case using a prepaid card would be the logical thing to do. But is there anything more to that besides having the rebate get stuck?
I think bb182 and satanslover have the angles down....they have done many of these bundle rebates recently and should be able to help steer you thru this. The software package comes w/ instructions for installing the software but the wiki instructions are straightforward and I would follow them. At the end of the process, you will have a Total Defense account that shows your software subscription(s) and gives you the option to change/cancel auto-enrollments. For my most recent activation rebates, I waited to terminate the renewal option until my rebates were approved (prior to that, I cancelled almost immediately). As far as payment method, I tried using a number of pre-paid Amex cards that I received thru Tiger deals (and maybe even a Serve card) and none of them worked (they had varying balances ranging from zero to $20 or $25). After these failed efforts, I used a credit card which sailed right thru. I don't know whether there's a problem using Amex rebate cards or rebate/debit cards in general or whether it was just a glitch I encountered. Satanslover suggested I use a virtual CC but I'd want to investigate whether those are fullproof enough to avoid potential billing issues and whether other (non-Amex) pre-paid cards like Visa from a Staples or Newegg rebate deal work. As far as your rebate getting stuck pending validation, it's a manageable problem -- make sure you have proof of activation (whether an email or screenshot) and give the rebate company a call if the rebate doesn't progress from received to approval status w/i 4-6 weeks -- it took several phone calls on my part (the first time I called, they put me on hold and spoke to Total Defense who alerted them there was a glitch in the validation process that would be straightened out w/i 72 hours; it wasn't - I called back 2 wks later and was told there was a backlog and it would be approved in 48 hrs; it wasn't and I called back and was told there was a glitch; my last call was w/ a supervisor about 1 month after my 1st call who apologized and took care of it). The process others are describing indicates improvements have been made. Just stay on top of things.
Last edited by mky; 06-04-2013 at 04:21 PM..