View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
L8: Grand Teacher
  • Nov 2004
  • NOLA
  • 410 dealmonkey is just really nice
Quote from haydentech View Post :
No, you're right (at least as far as the focal length needed). It's just that this lens has an odd combo of features that isn't a really good fit for... well, just about anything. It's slow (f/2.8) compared to other primes at this focal length, and the IS, while always nice to have, is not going to do much for you on a short lens like this. And it's not STM for video.

If you are going to drop $400+ on a good prime for a crop, I'd recommend the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Canon 28mm f/1.8. If f/2.8 is good enough for you, then you'd probably want to look at the Sigma 17-50 2.8 zoom for only slightly more. And lastly, if you just want to spend WAY less money but end up with something better than you've got, get the pancake Canon STM 40mm f/2.8 and sell your nifty fifty.
Thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of the Sigma 17-50 2.8, since Ive been also looking for a wide lens (is 17mm decent?). I just have to wait for a deal on that lens, whats the lowest you have seen it for? At $594, its a bit to pricey for me. I want to spend max, $400.
T A C O C A T